Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/5/2024 9:43:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jaspar4]
Hello , i would like to ask if a gunsmith can rechamber an m1 garand barrel to 7.62x39 and use a lathe in order to make it to "fit" on an ak 47. If that is possible , would there be any issues with the functionality of the gun?

Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 9:54:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, is it possible?

Someone could cut off the chamber end of a Garand barrel, rechamber it, reprofile it, sleave it if necessary, and then add a new gas port.

But realistically it would be more work and more difficult than just starting with a barrel blank.  Most anyone with common sense would tell you no, unless you were willing to wait AND throw a lot of money at the job.
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 10:03:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 11:18:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 11:29:29 PM EDT
[#4]
"But Why?"
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 12:49:24 AM EDT
[#5]
If I remember right...
Projectiles for Garand and AK are not sized to work between the two

30-06 (M1 Garand) has a inner bore barrel measuring .308
7.62x39 (AK) has a inner bore barrel measuring .312

maybe the wrong way to describe their difference in size?

Link Posted: 7/6/2024 1:04:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By a308garand:
If I remember right...

View Quote

IIRC, early Mini-30 bores were .308" with no untoward effects.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 8:40:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By a308garand:
If I remember right...

View Quote

If that is the case what could happen if such a barrel was fitted on an ak that would be used?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 2:09:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mancat] [#8]
Originally Posted By jaspar4:

If that is the case what could happen if such a barrel was fitted on an ak that would be used?

Thanks
View Quote

Overpressure at the chamber. Overpressure in gas system unless the gas port is appropriately sized

Why do you want to do it? I don't get it
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 6:27:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By mancat:

Overpressure at the chamber. Overpressure in gas system unless the gas port is appropriately sized

Why do you want to do it? I don't get it
View Quote

This.

Maybe not a crazy amount, but definitely some extra pressure. And some mild deformation of the projectile which probably doesn't help accuracy.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 6:07:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Thank you all for the information.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 2:20:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank you all for the information.
View Quote

No, get back here and explain yourself! Where did this idea come from? Just trying to get an accurate barrel for an AK? Read up on the history of the AK and heard about the Grand influence and thought it would work? A Booke?

PSA sells the FN chrome like barrel from the 103. Many places sell other barrels as well. So don't waste your money.

While it isn't uncommon for a kit built AK to have a .308 bore instead of a .311 back in the day, that doesn't happen with production AK. I did know someone personally who had an M70 build from a parts kit with a barrel with a .308 bore to try to get better accuracy, in their opinion. They also did reload and made some loads with 308 bullets. Fun gun. Always wondered what happened to it when he died.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 7:37:52 AM EDT
[#12]
I happened to have an argument with a friend of mine and thats how the whole idea came up.
I wanted to learn if its possible to have better accuracy with that setup and thats the whole story.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 1:43:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 3:26:36 PM EDT
[#14]
I happened to have an argument with a friend of mine and thats how the whole idea came up.
I wanted to learn if its possible to have better accuracy with that setup and thats the whole story.
View Quote

Well that is someone times how the best ideas happen.

There seem to be a quite a few ways to make an accurate AK. I am not an expert, but it seems the biggest thing is how whippy the AK is when firing it while not being free floated. But it seems like a modern high quality AK can put down some impressive groups. Look at Rob Ski and his PSA AK103. Damn good rifles it seems. Most likely coming down to the barrel used.

Honestly if you wanted the the best and most expensive way to make the most accurate AK, I would probably start with a way to free float the system, Like with the SureShot chassis system and a good barrel.
https://sureshot-armament.com/

But if i could i would kill for one of those direct impingement AKs that Polenar Tactical showed off, but in 6.5 Grendel or 5.56.
Direct Impingement AK?! - the ONLY one in the world
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 5:32:43 PM EDT
[#15]
By the time you milled it down to fit an AK trunion, gas-block, and front sight, you'd end up with a similar barrel with the wrong inside diameter ( .308 vs.312")

What would remain is the original heavy gas piston slamming back n forth, short sight radius, etc..

I see zero benefit to a project like this.

the solution is to own an AK and an M1 Garand.

Link Posted: 7/9/2024 6:50:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mancat] [#16]
Or you can just hand load with .310 bullets

And then offend your buddy by explaining to him how the AK is effectively a cost reduced Garand variant.

Mikhail Kalashnikov thought it was one of the best, if not the best battle rifle action on the ground at the time... it just cost too much to make and fired a round that was overpowered for the role.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 11:43:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 8:21:29 AM EDT
[#18]
get both is always the answer. That's why I have God's caliber and the heathen caliber.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:40:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 5:20:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By nictra:
get both is always the answer. That's why I have God's caliber and the heathen caliber.
View Quote

I would argue, that since the Soviets were godless commies, that ALL cartridges developed by them are heathen calibers.

As opposed to those developed by a godly man like John Moses Browning, who invented among other things the .45ACP and the .50 BMG, truly God's calibers if there ever were any.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 6:38:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Dragynn:

I would argue, that since the Soviets were godless commies, that ALL cartridges developed by them are heathen calibers.

As opposed to those developed by a godly man like John Moses Browning, who invented among other things the .45ACP and the .50 BMG, truly God's calibers if there ever were any.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dragynn:
Originally Posted By nictra: get both is always the answer. That's why I have God's caliber and the heathen caliber.

That logic means 7.62x54R is an Orthodox cartridge.

I sell Browning Buckmarks on the basis they were made by Mormon child labor.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top