Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/26/2024 7:30:57 PM EDT
What thread pattern is PSA's AK47 GF3 - Enhanced series?

Does the muzzle devices index on the muzzle or the shoulder of the threads?
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 7:41:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dragynn] [#1]
Indexes via the pin at 12:00 in the FSB. 14x1 lh threads.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 12:53:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SilentDeath12886] [#2]
The GF3-Enhanced does not have a traditional front sight post/block. So it does not have the typical 12 o'clock indexing pin. A jamnut is used to clock the factory muzzle brake.

I intend to use a K&N thread adapter to get a Thunderbeast CB 30cal 5/8-24 muzzle device on to use my can on the AK.

PSAK47 GF3-E
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 6:08:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Ahh okay, I was looking at the conventional models.

Okay, so either/or, or both, lol.

Depends on your muzzle device, on mine (M10) I used the shoulder/end of threads kinda, the threads weren't perfect on it to start with, so I indexed my brake by cutting a tiny bit more thread on it, the threads ended just a hair before the shoulder, and as it worked out I just needed to bring them all the way to the shoulder to index the brake properly. Brake has ports on top so it had to be perfectly aligned. I was able to cut just up to the shoulder and cinch the brake down at 12:00 while simultaneously making contact with the shoulder.

Just my experience and not at all sure if it is relevant to what you're trying to do. But is important to note you don't necessarily have to live with whatever threading job was done at the factory.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 6:17:14 PM EDT
[#4]
My best tip when trying to install muzzle device on AK's with integrated FSB/GB that don't have a 90 degree shoulder but are instead sloped:

Teflon plumbers tape, this also helps because frequently i'll find an AK with the muzzle threads a hair undersize and muzzle devices with generous tolerances, so they wiggle a bit going on, a couple wraps with the tape and they cinch down solid and hold better than loctite, yet are still easier to remove when you want to change or are cleaning.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 1:39:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#5]
Originally Posted By SilentDeath12886:
The GF3-Enhanced does not have a traditional front sight post/block. So it does not have the typical 12 o'clock indexing pin. A jamnut is used to clock the factory muzzle brake.

I intend to use a K&N thread adapter to get a Thunderbeast CB 30cal 5/8-24 muzzle device on to use my can on the AK.
View Quote

Normal brakes and flash hiders can index with the pin. (like AR flash hiders can get away with a crush washer)

Suppressor mounts for AKs usually need to index on the muzzle (Face Mount) because they don't have a good shoulder machined on to the barrel. (the exception being a DA Wolverine which is overbored to like 40 caliber to account for gross misalignment)

For face mount on the muzzle, I'd recommend a JMac X37 mount if your suppressor is Hub (1.375-24) threaded:  https://www.jmac-customs.com/muzzle-devices/suppressor-mounts/x-series-hub/

The GF3-E might have a suitable shoulder. I'd ask PSA about that. @PalmettoStateArmory can you verify that?

You won't have concentricity issues with a PSA barrel (and if you did, PSA will fix it under warranty), but with some European AKs a 90 degree face cutter with a pilot can usually true it. See this thread for more info about that.

Link Posted: 5/28/2024 1:48:57 PM EDT
[#6]
My guess would be it's a 14x1 left hand since they're using the AK tank brake, but I can't tell what they're using to index it though. I suppose you could use a jam nut to just align it all. I use one on my debanned G-3, which came with an unthreaded barrel, so there was no shoulder. I threaded it for a modified G-3 type FH and used a jam nut behind it to lock it in place, along with Loktite. I have an STG AK that uses a modified AR FH and a crush washer for indexing. YMMV
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 1:53:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CarlosC:
My guess would be it's a 14x1 left hand
View Quote
That's another good point.  Aside from the "American Bastard" model (which is 1/2x28 threaded), all PSA AKs have either 14x1LH or 24x1.5 RH threading.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 1:17:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By dmk0210:

The GF3-E might have a suitable shoulder. I'd ask PSA about that. @PalmettoStateArmory can you verify that?

View Quote

If it doesn't it really should, I think that's a modern mod that even traditionalists would be okay with.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 3:03:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#9]
Originally Posted By Dragynn:

If it doesn't it really should, I think that's a modern mod that even traditionalists would be okay with.
View Quote

A lot of guns should have a good shoulder but don't. Scar, X95, Tavor 7, etc

The PSA -E barrels might be fine (and probably are). I just don't know and you can't assume just because it's new and modern.

Link Posted: 6/2/2024 6:44:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By CarlosC:
My guess would be it's a 14x1 left hand since they're using the AK tank brake, but I can't tell what they're using to index it though. I suppose you could use a jam nut to just align it all. I use one on my debanned G-3, which came with an unthreaded barrel, so there was no shoulder. I threaded it for a modified G-3 type FH and used a jam nut behind it to lock it in place, along with Loktite. I have an STG AK that uses a modified AR FH and a crush washer for indexing. YMMV
View Quote

The GF3-E uses a jamnut to clock the muzzlebrake, which is the only reason why I question if it will index off the shoulder or if I need to concern is a thread adapter indexes off the shoulder vs muzzle.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 6:55:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mancat] [#11]
I wish some of these combo block AKs would come with an integrated shoulder/detent assembly like on the AK12

Especially if it also had a bayo lug.
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 1:32:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By SilentDeath12886:

The GF3-E uses a jamnut to clock the muzzlebrake, which is the only reason why I question if it will index off the shoulder or if I need to concern is a thread adapter indexes off the shoulder vs muzzle.
View Quote

The Galil Ace uses a jam nut, as does the Steyr Aug.  I've had good luck with suppressor mounts on those. It actually makes it easy to index a brake.  

Just make sure to use a good alignment rod to verify alignment with the suppressor attached (I use Surefire alignment rods)
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top