Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/7/2024 3:12:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Norsk]
Thought I'd share what I'm seeing from my 74. I believe it's somewhere between 1000 to 1500 rounds at this point. It's been absurdly reliable, sights were on out of the box. Mag catch was a bit short so some mags rode too low causing bolt override, so I had the catch welded a bit longer.

Other than that it's been stellar.

It's a pretty early rifle, at least for the sidefolders. Bought it in Nov of '20

I'll have to monitor this wear to see if it gets worse. But again, it's been a great rifle thus far.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 3:14:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 3:16:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 6:44:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like normal wear and tear to me. Your gun is nicely broken in.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 9:58:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Rifle is fine
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 8:03:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I'll pull mine out in a bit and have a look see. Nothing popped out at me last time I cleaned it though. I also do not tear mine down that far unless I'm gonna sell it, and that's usually only on a high dollar rifle.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 11:14:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I think my PSA 74 has around 300 to 500 rounds on it, and there's a tad bit on the tail, which seems normal compared to my other AKs, and everything else looks normal too
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 11:58:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm hardly an expert but I think it looks pretty decent.  IIRC the peening of the carrier tail was attributable to the hardened material used in the hammer.  Most of the wear showing seems to be finish related which isn't particularly problematic.

Or, as previously said in Readers Digest terms, Nyet, rifle is fine!
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 3:46:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Seems like it's nothing to worry about.

I could catch my finger on one of the bolt lugs, and the firing pin was goobered was all. The right trunnion lug seems consistent with what the youtubers were complaining about.

Might have to check out the Izzy kit to see what it looks like.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 5:16:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Norsk:
Seems like it's nothing to worry about.

I could catch my finger on one of the bolt lugs, and the firing pin was goobered was all. The right trunnion lug seems consistent with what the youtubers were complaining about.

Might have to check out the Izzy kit to see what it looks like.
View Quote

Complaining about what on the right lug though

Every AK I own has a bit of wear in at the right side lug where the bolt starts to rotate in

It's a result of the camming channel in the carrier trying to make the bolt rotate in before it's totally clear of the lugs.

Once these surfaces are all worn in to each other and they are all in agreement, the wear stops.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 8:18:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mancat:

Complaining about what on the right lug though

Every AK I own has a bit of wear in at the right side lug where the bolt starts to rotate in

It's a result of the camming channel in the carrier trying to make the bolt rotate in before it's totally clear of the lugs.

Once these surfaces are all worn in to each other and they are all in agreement, the wear stops.
View Quote

The 1/32" or so shiny chamfer on the side facing the chamber. Is that consistent with what you all have on your rifles? This is the highest round count AK I own, so I don't have much to compare to.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 10:29:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes

Rifle is fine
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top