Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/25/2024 7:54:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mindfull]
I have a 107FR coming that was cut to 14.5" and a muzzle device pin and welded to it.

This may be a stupid question, but I've never messed with modifications on AK variants before. After researching I thought I had a good grasp on what needed to be done to complete the task, but now after reading a bunch of scattered posts on the net from different forums, I'm a little confused.

I want to have the barrel chopped down to 12.5", have the old front sight and gas block removed and a Bulgarian AK-142B sight/gas block combo installed to make it basically a 107CR sbr. This is going to be used with a Resilient Putnik silencer. I thought I would find more info out there on this, but it looks like most people went the cheaper and easier route of starting with the 107CR, but the availability pushed me to start with the 107FR.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on the following:
The barrel on the 107FR can be cut down to 12.5" and use a Griffin 24X1.5MM SUPPRESSOR MOUNT THREAD ADAPTER  for the Putnik to attach to.
The AK-142B should line right up to the old gas block on the 107FR with no redrilling for gas needed.

So work needed to be done to accomplish my desired goal:
Cut and crown barrel down to 12.5"
Check concentricity
Remove original front sight
Remove original gas block
Add AK-142B
Done?

Do I have that all correct? and thanks for the help dealing with an AK newb.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 9:50:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe* have about 3/4” of barrel past the new front sight block to thread in 1/2x28 or 5/8 or whatever so you can have the suppressor threads concentric and not have to worry about the fsb being concentric to the bore. You can cover that up with the brake if you want it for looks. Just an idea.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 9:51:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By hodgescl:
Maybe* have about 3/4" of barrel past the new front sight block to thread in 1/2x28 or 5/8 or whatever so you can have the suppressor threads concentric and not have to worry about the fsb being concentric to the bore. You can cover that up with the brake if you want it for looks. Just an idea.
View Quote
seen this done, and it works, but concentricity still needs to be checked. The 107FR is Bulgarian, so you need to make sure you get the Bulgarian 104/105 FSB (I didn't check your part #), it's a direct replacement for the gas block.

I have done this several times, and I went ahead and used an 11 degree crowning tool too while I was in there. Made a bit of a difference for me.

TX-Zen has done the threaded barrel past the FSB before, but I do not think he is using that method anymore. The other option is to get a mount that is a face mount to the barrel and FSB. Get a rod, and then using a 90 degree crown you can adjust the face to align the suppressor to the bore.

Hope that helps. Will be a great rifle when you're done. I've said it before, the 105/104/102 is the best pattern of all the AKs in my opinion. Very handy and still uses a majority of the furniture out there.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 3:17:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Who summoned me to the heathen caliber forum

@mindfull I'm replying to your IM, but check this out too: (Scroll down for the rod test in particular)

Here's an example of the barrel threaded past the 24x1.5 FSB

With the Sandman QD mount

Here's the Griffin 24x1.5 adaptor. They make these in 1/2x28 and 5/8x24

JMac put out a pretty bad ass 24x15 adapter for Dead Air KeyMo mounts, and I like it quite a bit as well. It can direct thread to some types of suppressors also but I wouldn't worry about that right now (Posting that more for others who may be interested)

I almost never check this forum, so hit me on IM if you have questions, or @ me here
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 3:33:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies.
I've decided to have the barrel cut and flush with the 142-B and just thread onto the 142-B and see how I like it and how secure the putnik stays.

Some interesting options
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 3:52:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I just realized this heathen forum is actually the only forum I post in haha. I've been offline so much lately that I had it in my head that I lived in the 5.45 forum, but there isn't one, and Dryflash hasn't read my mind and created one just for me
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 6:48:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By TX-Zen:
I just realized this heathen forum is actually the only forum I post in haha. I've been offline so much lately that I had it in my head that I lived in the 5.45 forum, but there isn't one, and Dryflash hasn't read my mind and created one just for me
View Quote

That's because Dryflash is a member of the 7.62 master race like me.

Happy Independence Day....fucker.

Link Posted: 7/3/2024 7:29:16 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

Thats a great suppressor link, very nice resource. Thanks for posting that.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 10:47:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/4/2024 11:05:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
Not sure how I got dragged into this, I consider you both friends.

But have to admit I do like the 7.62x39 caliber.

Happy 4th to both of you.
View Quote

Well we're just having a little fun, and you're a buddy too, like SGT. Hulka on Stripes, you're our beloved big toe!

Besides, I wouldn't know how to act if I went a full month without TX-Zen calling me an ignorant hillbilly for still using 7.62.

Happy 4th to you too my friend!
Link Posted: 7/4/2024 12:47:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 9:20:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Dragynn:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Lol! Happy 4th back at you...HEATHEN!!!!
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 9:21:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Mindfull:

View All Quotes

No worries

I had a million questions too when I started messing with suppressors, so I decided to keep notes and hit the main points so that it might help guys out

Link Posted: 7/5/2024 9:22:12 AM EDT
[#13]

Well we're just having a little fun, and you're a buddy too, like SGT. Hulka on Stripes, you're our beloved big toe!

Besides, I wouldn't know how to act if I went a full month without TX-Zen calling me an ignorant hillbilly for still using 7.62.

View All Quotes
Not sure how I got dragged into this, I consider you both friends.

But have to admit I do like the 7.62x39 caliber.

Happy 4th to both of you.

But you are an ignorant hillbilly for using that caliber haha

Happy 4th to you too Dry!
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 9:23:30 AM EDT
[#14]
I just threw up a little in my mouth....

Heathens everywhere!

I'm gonna go shoot some 5.45 today to ward away the evil my eyeballs have seen this day
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 2:17:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 7:58:13 AM EDT
[#16]
it takes a few martyrs, but eventually the ones you never suspected will come out of the woodwork and Deus Vult your heathen caliber.

I keed of course, I have my share 7.62x39 rifles, but they're mostly for the collection. My104 though, that's a serious rifle.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 12:11:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dragynn] [#17]
Oh no, another varmint shooter has entered the fray.
View Quote

It's a tough job, but somebody has to keep the chipmunk horde off us. Vicious ill-tempered rodents with great sharp teeth.

Anyhoo, back on topic you lot. I think that hole is for lubrication, is there a grease zerk up in there?

Oops, wrong thread.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 12:22:47 PM EDT
[#18]
R.O.U.S. is what I think you meant.
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 4:41:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mindfull] [#19]
Finally shot the Putnik today. Its a beast.
I'm pleasantly surprised by the tone and wow, talk about recoil mitigation.
Torqued it to 30ft bs per Tyler at Resilient and ripped off 30 rounds. Didn't come loose at all. I'll have to shoot a lot more just to make sure, but im digging it.

Eric at Stronghold Armory in Missouri cut the barrel down to 12.5", crowned it and installed the AK-142B front sight/block for me. Super fast and fantastic work.

Loving it
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 10:20:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Finally shot the Putnik today. Its a beast.
I'm pleasantly surprised by the tone and wow, talk about recoil mitigation.
Torqued it to 30ft bs per Tyler at Resilient and ripped off 30 rounds. Didn't come loose at all. I'll have to shoot a lot more just to make sure, but im digging it.

Eric at Stronghold Armory in Missouri cut the barrel down to 12.5", crowned it and installed the AK-142B front sight/block for me. Super fast and fantastic work.

https://i.postimg.cc/qqdHYXgv/Polish-20240717-153013450.jpg

Loving it
View Quote

How gassy is it?
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 11:43:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By 02NBMFormula:

How gassy is it?
View Quote

I didn't notice any gas whatsoever.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top