Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/1/2024 11:49:29 AM EDT
Found an SKS posted, Chicom, with Vietnam bringback papers. Looks to be in good shape, shot recently and works fine. Unfortunately, there's a letter from the veteran who stated he had it refurbished when he came home. Collector value killed? It's your standard Type 56, looks to be in decent shape from the pics. Slight premium over normal chicom? Significantly more due to paperwork? Since refurbished, worth no more than a standard chicom?
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 12:19:38 PM EDT
[#1]
The papers should at least add 300 to its value. Could be quite a bit more than that, to the right SKS collector.  The history of the soldier,where and how it was obtained, would be the big kicker.  What they did to the gun, is the main thing. It would not be hard for a AK builder to make it look "correct". But if they honked it up bad, then that is going to kill the value. If it was done back in the days, it is more than likely honked up.Is the bore trash? Keep in mind they never had any significant  value back then and one could find them dirt cheap, FOR A REASON, IMO. We see these crazy high prices out there, but is anyone buying at those prices?
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 12:38:12 PM EDT
[#2]
You’re going to have to find out what exactly was “refurbished”.  Big difference between sanding and refinishing the stock vs putting some sort of sporterized stock, polish and reblue, or swapping out serialized parts, etc.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 1:16:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GMCSwath] [#3]
I remember when they were $99 slathered in cosmoline.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 1:29:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By COMMAND450:
The papers should at least add 300 to its value. Could be quite a bit more than that, to the right SKS collector.  The history of the soldier,where and how it was obtained, would be the big kicker.  What they did to the gun, is the main thing. It would not be hard for a AK builder to make it look "correct". But if they honked it up bad, then that is going to kill the value. If it was done back in the days, it is more than likely honked up.Is the bore trash? Keep in mind they never had any significant  value back then and one could find them dirt cheap, FOR A REASON, IMO. We see these crazy high prices out there, but is anyone buying at those prices?
View Quote

The veteran typed up letter with a brief explanation of his service, and mentioned that he refurbished it upon returning home. From the photo of the letter that's a bit hard to read: "reblued, bolt action chrome nickel plated and stock refurbished".
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 1:30:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By GMCSwath:
I remember when they were $99 slathered in cosmoline.
View Quote

Right? I had a few that were $69. I started collecting them back when they were cheap, and got laughed at.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 7:55:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought it. Set me back a whopping $800.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 7:55:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By NAM:
I bought it. Set me back a whopping $800.
View Quote

Pics please!
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 8:02:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Refurbished or not, we deserve pics
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 8:11:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I am going to bet the bolt was NOT chrome plated as they were in the white as I remember and I'd bet it was just polished out on the outside. Plating would have raised havoc on trying to get it all back together again.

But, modding/refurbing a modern era firearm almost always tends to drop collectable status to zero and value to ''fair'' or close to poor unless one finds a sucker. It may look great but sellers tend to want VG/excellent condition money and a buyer is stupid to pay that.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 9:04:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NAM] [#10]
Originally Posted By fxntime:
I am going to bet the bolt was NOT chrome plated as they were in the white as I remember and I'd bet it was just polished out on the outside. Plating would have raised havoc on trying to get it all back together again.

But, modding/refurbing a modern era firearm almost always tends to drop collectable status to zero and value to ''fair'' or close to poor unless one finds a sucker. It may look great but sellers tend to want VG/excellent condition money and a buyer is stupid to pay that.
View Quote

From what I can tell, it is a bit shinier than just a polish. I could be wrong; I'm not a metals guy. Owner said plated.  It appears the rifle was refinished, but done in-period, and done decently. Agreed; unmodified is preferred, but I'm not disappointed. With the price of SKSs being what they are, $800 seemed reasonable.

A photo, being worth 1,000 words...

Link Posted: 7/3/2024 10:44:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Honestly, looking at the pic, it's much better looking then the typical hack and ruin refinish.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 10:50:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By fxntime:
Honestly, looking at the pic, it's much better looking then the typical hack and ruin refinish.
View Quote

Agreed. The casual observer would probably not notice that it's refinished. It was definitely done with preservation in mind, not the normal "screw the historical value, I want it to look shiny, and throw on every Tapco accessory you can find".
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top