Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2022 11:48:11 PM EDT
IIRC, the government in Ukraine was handing out around 18,000 AKs to people to fight back. What brand AKs are they? Also, are they 5.45mm or 7.62mm?
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 11:54:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Mostly 74s
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 12:54:57 AM EDT
[#2]
AKMs, Krinks, lots of triangle folders.  Generic Eastern Block old school Polish and Romanian.  74s with Russian F/Hs.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 2:12:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Lots of 74s and some Krinks. There's also been some western kit in the hands of their SF elements: Sig MCXs, various ARs, Bullpups, and bolt guns.

Not to mention an increasing number of AK12s pulled off whacked Russians. Slava Ukraini!
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 2:49:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Seen some AK47 under folders in recent pics. Seen so many AK74s.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 2:45:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
IIRC, the government in Ukraine was handing out around 18,000 AKs to people to fight back. What brand AKs are they? Also, are they 5.45mm or 7.62mm?
View Quote

Brand: Soviet Union

AKM, AKMS, AK-74, AKS-74, AKS74u, RPK, RPK-74.

7.62x39

5.45x39
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 2:48:59 PM EDT
[#6]

I've seen more Krinks that I'd thought I'd see in pictures.

Link Posted: 3/9/2022 4:03:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/326068/bubbu-2307377.jpg

View Quote
I believe the AKS-74u was one of the most prolific models in the late Soviet states, they issued them to uniformed police officers instead of handguns and to a bunch of the non-front line military units as a PDW of sorts.

Otherwise, the old stockpiles being broken out to civis also include classic AK-74's and AKS-74's
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 5:36:02 PM EDT
[#8]
The Ukraines also use a licensed copy of the iwi tavor built by Fort
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 11:01:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/326068/bubbu-2307377.jpg

View Quote
AK-12s appear to be the trophy of choice. I wonder how many of those are being used by combat troops. Most of the Russians still appear to use AK-74Ms.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/44653/captured-ak-12-rifles-appear-to-be-the-trophy-weapon-of-choice-for-ukrainian-officials
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 12:29:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I see lots of AK-74, AKS-74 and more of the short AKS-74U than I would expect (like the pic above).

I love my AKS-74U but it would not be my go to war rifle. It is handy and looks cool but the sights suck and maybe the .mil ammo is better but I get a huge fireball every 10th round or so with the Wolf made in the Luhansk factory.

Link Posted: 3/10/2022 5:04:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Saw a random picture of those Crazy Malyuk bull pup AK things right before
The invasion
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 5:23:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I see lots of AK-74, AKS-74 and more of the short AKS-74U than I would expect (like the pic above).

I love my AKS-74U but it would not be my go to war rifle. It is handy and looks cool but the sights suck and maybe the .mil ammo is better but I get a huge fireball every 10th round or so with the Wolf made in the Luhansk factory.

View Quote

I blind everyone around me every round with my AKSU. I shoot the RAS branded ammo. Even get a fireball out of my 8" long can when it's mounted.

Seeing AKSUs in the wild makes me happy. It is probably my go to gun. I have a little red dot mounted on top too. Gen 2 dust cover so the irons are decent and the red dot is a game changer.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 5:36:08 PM EDT
[#13]
It is really scary they are giving assault weapons to "ordinary citizens".  Don't they know this will endanger the children?

All they need is a shot gun.  Two blasts in the air the Russians will run.  
Biden: Buy a shotgun, not an AR-15
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 9:37:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Lots of 74s and some Krinks. There's also been some western kit in the hands of their SF elements: Sig MCXs, various ARs, Bullpups, and bolt guns.

Not to mention an increasing number of AK12s pulled off whacked Russians. Slava Ukraini!
View Quote

Ukraine as a few domestic producers of ARs, Mayak and Zbroyar are two off the top of my head. .223 and 5.56 ammunition is manufactured in Ukraine as well. The Mayak MZ-15 also comes in 5.45.

Nextdoor in Poland, Radom has a couple of ARs, the PAC-15, in their product lineup.

Germany is also next to Ukraine, and we all know what comes from there.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 11:51:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Ukraine as a few domestic producers of ARs, Mayak and Zbroyar are two off the top of my head. .223 and 5.56 ammunition is manufactured in Ukraine as well. The Mayak MZ-15 also comes in 5.45.

Nextdoor in Poland, Radom has a couple of ARs, the PAC-15, in their product lineup.

Germany is also next to Ukraine, and we all know what comes from there.
View Quote

Yep- all kinds of German goodness. ??
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 1:41:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/12/2022 1:50:42 AM EDT
[#17]
After Ukraine loses, I wonder if we will be able to get any of these sent over as kits. It would be cool to have another golden era of parts kits.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 2:51:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the replies.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 9:28:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
After Ukraine loses, I wonder if we will be able to get any of these sent over as kits. It would be cool to have another golden era of parts kits.
View Quote

Maybe if Ukraine wins and upgrades to nato weapons they might but I highly doubt it.  I guess it's possible if the right importer or business man gets involved but I assume they will hang on to them for a while.

Russia winning pretty much guarantees they will never be imported unless they send them to another country for 20 years first.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 10:47:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The invasion
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The invasion

Looks like this guy captured his AK12 using  a Malyuk

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/44687/ukraines-indigenous-malyuk-bullpup-rifle-is-the-weapon-of-choice-for-its-special-operators
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 11:22:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Maybe if Ukraine wins and upgrades to nato weapons they might but I highly doubt it.  I guess it's possible if the right importer or business man gets involved but I assume they will hang on to them for a while.

Russia winning pretty much guarantees they will never be imported unless they send them to another country for 20 years first.
View Quote

Well, there is a mathematical certainty that Ukraine loses, but that doesn't mean the first part wont happen. What is likely to occur, is whatever rump-state comes out of what was once the Ukraine (probably some portion of the west of the country) will probably end up "upgrading" to western rifles at some point. I think you are correct that that would allow us a decent chance at some parts kits. The other factor might be what kind of relations we have with whatever new states come out of the east. You are probably correct, that they won't be good... but who knows.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 12:10:04 PM EDT
[#22]
PS I want a Krinkov, period.

Like I WANT.

Link Posted: 3/12/2022 1:06:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 2:59:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
PS I want a Krinkov, period.

Like I WANT.

View Quote

It is fascinating, from a collector perspective, to see how many Krinkovs are still being issued by both of those countries.

There was a photo I saw the other day of the left side of a Krinkov, it might have been some of the other photos from the same photo op shown above, anyways, my curiosity led me to look at the trunnion markings/serial number and strangely enough, it was blacked out via photo editing.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 3:39:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It is fascinating, from a collector perspective, to see how many Krinkovs are still being issued by both of those countries.

There was a photo I saw the other day of the left side of a Krinkov, it might have been some of the other photos from the same photo op shown above, my curiosity led me to look at the trunnion markings/serial number and strangely enough, it was blacked out via photo editing.
View Quote
lol

My thoughts anyways - exactly.
Celebrities (theirs, Ukrainian) seem to have gotten largely Krinks (look at the picture of the house members - or was it senators I forget - they all had Krinks).

and even some kids

Link Posted: 3/12/2022 4:51:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
lol

Celebrities (theirs, Ukrainian) seem to have gotten largely Krinks (look at the picture of the house members - or was it senators I forget - they all had Krinks).

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/326068/FMh2ORZWQAQmmUI-2310905.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/326068/come-again-ukrainian-parliament-member-t-2310907.jpg

and even some kids

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/326068/f4ypojjbgwj81-2310908.jpg
View Quote

Man, I would give anything for one of those as a kit.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 6:46:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Man, I would give anything for one of those as a kit.
View Quote
... you mean for less than 5kUSD (five thousand dollars).

Yes, same x1000

Listen, I am going to be content with PSA making one by the end of 2022 or even into 2023. Don't care.

I just really want own the concept idea of it - even if not original, I'll survive.
Will buy some original Russian furniture and stuff and call it a day.

Until then, whatever I can find it'll make do
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 9:29:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
... you mean for less than 5kUSD (five thousand dollars).

Yes, same x1000

Listen, I am going to be content with PSA making one by the end of 2022 or even into 2023. Don't care.

I just really want own the concept idea of it - even if not original, I'll survive.
Will buy some original Russian furniture and stuff and call it a day.

Until then, whatever I can find it'll make do
View Quote

I hear you.

5k for a Tula parts kit is ridiculous no matter how nostalgic it might be.

You can thank Gbroker for that.

5k + taxes + fees + barrel + receiver + builder cost + shipping multiple times = You are looking at 7k.

Objectively, that is ridiculous, and that is coming from someone who would happily eat ramen noodles to justify it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 10:11:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I hear you.

5k for a Tula parts kit is ridiculous no matter how nostalgic it might be.

You can thank Gbroker for that.

5k + taxes + fees + barrel + receiver + builder cost + shipping multiple times = You are looking at 7k.

Objectively, that is ridiculous, and that is coming from someone who would happily eat ramen noodles to justify it.
View Quote
hahahahah same x1000!!!!

ETA bonus pic, not mine - gorgeous Krink

Link Posted: 3/12/2022 10:27:44 PM EDT
[#30]
the krink is on my to buy list, similar to the one pictured above
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 11:25:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Love my 5.45

Link Posted: 3/13/2022 12:43:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Love my 5.45

https://i.imgur.com/z7jfthF.jpg
View Quote
" />

24mm thread adapter?

This photo makes me really regret not picking up an Sar2 I saw for a great price last year.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 2:23:12 PM EDT
[#33]
There is zero chance we see any surplus items coming out of Ukraine. If Russia takes over, sanctions won’t allow and if Ukraine manages to hold out, they will want to play nice with the Europe (who doesn’t like that sort of thing).
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 4:13:04 AM EDT
[#34]
neighboring countries may provide AKs, but I'm sure Ukraine is screwed
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 5:18:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Hell, some russian forces are rolling with Mosin Nagant sniper rifles in Ukraine.

Link Posted: 3/19/2022 10:34:40 AM EDT
[#36]
I ended up buying an Arsenal Krink - by the way.

It's all the fault of this war (and of ARFCOM)
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 11:25:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Hell, some russian forces are rolling with Mosin Nagant sniper rifles in Ukraine.

View Quote
Those are DPR/LPR Ukrainians the Russians absorbed into their forces.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 8:50:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Bump for good thread.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 8:07:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
lol

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/326068/come-again-ukrainian-parliament-member-t-2310907.jpg

and even some kids

View Quote

The last picture, that girl in the middle.  She is the only one with a look of someone who has the willingness to kill.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 1:26:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
lol

and even some kids

View Quote

Wouldn't the Russians laugh at them and just take them out with artillery or mortars?
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 3:11:24 PM EDT
[#41]
So they issued a bunch of military grade firearms to a bunch of civilians who some proceeded to go to the front and get themselves killed. So now the propaganda machine can label their corpses as “Russian atrocities”, “War crimes”, and (my favorite) “Genocide”. As Harry Callahan would say… Marvelous.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 4:14:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Wouldn't the Russians laugh at them and just take them out with artillery or mortars?
View Quote

The short answer is yes.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top