BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 3:04:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Actually you can TIG weld with silver. No messy flux. Makes for a very clean and quick job. Heat in only a small area. Maybe a bit of an argon purge in the barrel to prevent scaling. Good to go.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 10:47:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I am getting this done this weekend

The tax stamp arrival was just too exciting, and I had to wrap a couple of those up.  Talk about irony; I talk shit about this being no problem, and get 2 stamps in during the process.  I am not gonna lie; it crossed my mind to spin the FH on and have this be a spare upper for one if the stamped lowers

I will get it done.  It was just the laziness talking.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 7:39:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Finally got my blocks back, got the OE nut off, and put on the Gieselle nut.  Re-pinned the gas block, cleaned and touched up the paint after shaving it just a tad to fit the MK5.  Drilled a hole in the FH to feed solder through...

THEN, came the fail.  I was out of oxy (I know my kid left the valve open) so I gave it a shot with Mapp.  No Bueno.  I have soldered smaller parts with Mapp and 65%, but there was no way this 35% was flowing with Mapp only.

Damn it!  I will get my tank exchanged tomorrow, and burn this bitch on

Link Posted: 6/30/2014 2:55:28 AM EDT
[#4]
That sucks......I did that a while back with a new bottle......the garage enjoyed it!
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 3:32:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Pinning seems so much easier my friend!
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 5:26:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  And, I like NOT having to register any damned thing, ever!
View Quote

THIS is why I have no interest in just getting a tax stamp for an sbr rather than pinning a 14.5.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 6:51:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
.........................  Drilled a hole in the FH to feed solder through...
View Quote

OK, now I am confused. Doesn't the silver solder process involve running a solder bead around the muzzle device/barrel thread junction? Why do you need to drill a hole in the FH?
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 7:27:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

THIS is why I have no interest in just getting a tax stamp for an sbr rather than pinning a 14.5.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  And, I like NOT having to register any damned thing, ever!

WHY invite the man into your life when you don't absolutely positively need to do so.
I will never understand.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 7:58:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Before you solder or pin and weld....research Voodoo Innovations Manimal muzzle device.

Wes

Link Posted: 6/30/2014 8:11:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

WHY invite the man into your life when you don't absolutely positively need to do so.
I will never understand.
View Quote

I simply can not believe this was not stated earlier.......
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 12:19:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah I may do that.  I need to wrap this up
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 12:29:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I like the pinned 14.5s
View Quote

I do as well, and I don't have to get permission from the ATF to take it across a state line.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 2:03:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's nice not to have to mess with pinning and such if you want to change stuff around. But I agree about the 14.5", I'd rather just pin it vs the added expense and rules regarding an SBR. And even if you do want to change things around its not all that difficult to get a pinned hider off.

Going less than 14.5" though, I'd pick the tax stamp route.  Never understood the point of going 11.5" or less and then having to perm attach a fake suppressor or something along those lines.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 2:38:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I do as well, and I don't have to get permission from the ATF to take it across a state line.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like the pinned 14.5s

Exactly! You don't have those assholes up in YOUR asshole! And when I have something pinned, it already has the muzzle device and/or rail I want and it isn't getting changed until the barrel shoots out. I have yet to shoot out a barrel out yet and run into this dilemma. It's just not as big of a deal having a pinned MD as some are making it out to be.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 4:44:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like the pinned 14.5s

A very valid point.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:03:59 PM EDT
[#16]
I will update my butchery with pics this weekend.  I had that Vortex in the pic soldered on, and it looked like hell.  The flux got away from me and ate the ano off the FH.  I will still use it on some other WECSOG project
Had I not tried the MAPP route first, being a lazy bitch, it would have been fine.  
SO...the end result is a Blackout with a pin and weld via MIG.  Fuck it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 2:06:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:15:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

SO...the end result is a Blackout with a pin and weld via MIG.  Fuck it.
View Quote

It can be done very easily and cleanly with a MIG.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top