Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/12/2010 8:27:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The fact is that if you're fighting somewhere and your gun gets knocked/blown out of your hands into some dirt or sand while you were engaging the enemy, the AR has a better chance of functioning afterwords.

Sure it does.

Almost every loaded M4 mag jammed in a test conducted by the Army Test and Evaluation Command at Aberdeen Proving Ground, Md

Yeah... what ya didn't show was that the M4 sufferd only one case separation, while the "best" performer (the XM8) suffered 7.  

I'll take a push-pull, rack and roll every time over having to deal with a case separation.
Link Posted: 3/12/2010 8:40:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Kalashnikov said throw a handful of sand into the receiver - I am pretty sure he didn't say manually and deliberately pack it full to the brim with rocks and sand.

If you are carrying the weapon it will be on safe thus with the dust cover closed and even if for whatever reason it was not on safe unless you are in the sand storm of the century it will not get packed full as in this test.

The test is an artificially created scenario which to replicate in reality you'd have to low crawl a hundred yards on top of your rifle through the Sahara with your safety off to get that amount of debris in there.

If the rifle had the selector on fire and got dropped on the ground it would basically have to get buried completely to have a chance of being like this test.

No matter the type, how many people would pick up a buried rifle and immediately trust their life to it without opening up the guts to check for function?

It doesn't help the situation that the creator(s) of these videos were certainly proud of what they think they accomplished because they kept creating threads and posting links multiple times on different parts of this site and others.

Furthermore, if you check out the Youtube links, the creator/host of the test would make infantile and troll-like remarks intended specifically to incite a negative response.
Link Posted: 3/12/2010 9:30:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Posted by: livin_in_Sin85
"the whole AK vrs AR arguement can be solved by just buying both :) "

Agreed 100%. I have both and each has their postives and negatives like everything on this earth.
Link Posted: 3/12/2010 4:02:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I have 8 ARs and something like 20 AKs. In the hermetically sealed and safe civilian environment, an AR is just fine, maybe better from a standpoint of weight, ease of use and depending on the case accuracy. My wife has confiscated my SP1 clone. But judging guns like this is like judging people, you don't judge em while they are at leasure with no stress, but you measue by how they act when the poop hits the windmill. I'm sorry, but in adverse conditions it's AK all the way. Yes any weapon can be made to malfunction, but what does it take to get it back up and running? AK gets crud in it and stops working, pop the cover, rack it upside down a few times to knock the foreign junk out, and you most likely back in business. I've had ARs choke on primers popped out of cases. Had to take em appart to get the primers out of the disconnector slot. Can't happen in an AK. ARs like to run wet. AKs run wet, dry or anything in between. All is well for your AR if you have a nice supply of lube you can get at, otherwise, your screwed. Then there's the goofy things ARs do, like shattering bolts and eroding gas ports. AKs don't do things like that. If I had to pick one weapon to have, it'd be my Yugo M95 in .223. (if we're talking stricktly AK/AR. otherwise, I'll take my FAL. )

For proven long term reliability in adverse conditions, AK has it hands down, period.
Link Posted: 3/12/2010 5:33:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have 8 ARs and something like 20 AKs. In the hermetically sealed and safe civilian environment, an AR is just fine, maybe better from a standpoint of weight, ease of use and depending on the case accuracy. My wife has confiscated my SP1 clone. But judging guns like this is like judging people, you don't judge em while they are at leasure with no stress, but you measue by how they act when the poop hits the windmill. I'm sorry, but in adverse conditions it's AK all the way. Yes any weapon can be made to malfunction, but what does it take to get it back up and running? AK gets crud in it and stops working, pop the cover, rack it upside down a few times to knock the foreign junk out, and you most likely back in business. I've had ARs choke on primers popped out of cases. Had to take em appart to get the primers out of the disconnector slot. Can't happen in an AK. ARs like to run wet. AKs run wet, dry or anything in between. All is well for your AR if you have a nice supply of lube you can get at, otherwise, your screwed. Then there's the goofy things ARs do, like shattering bolts and eroding gas ports. AKs don't do things like that. If I had to pick one weapon to have, it'd be my Yugo M95 in .223. (if we're talking stricktly AK/AR. otherwise, I'll take my FAL. )

For proven long term reliability in adverse conditions, AK has it hands down, period.

okay bubba
Link Posted: 3/12/2010 10:12:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Even completely disregarding whether or not the test was fair and impartial (nearly impossible to be fair and impartial) and all the blah, blah, blah AK this and AR that I am just impressed by the fact that the AR functioned as well as it did after that kind of abuse. I expected the AKs to fail when filled with sand, I would expect any gun to. I expected the AR to fail as well, but it didn't and that makes me proud. I mean I keep being told by people who don't know anything, that the M16 family of weapons is unreliable and all such nonsense and no one listens when I try to say different. I mean what do I know Its not like I've actually used one in combat. Not like I've actually fed a full combat load of seven mags through it in less than ten minutes while returning fire. Its not like I've been in multiple engagements with it and never, NOT ONCE, as in zero times, has it ever failed to function flawlessly. Oh wait, yes I have. So I'm satisfied with the reliability of the weapon. Its caliber, well now that's a different story.
Link Posted: 3/13/2010 12:13:05 AM EDT
[#7]
What the hell was with all the "wizzers" I was hearing during that video. Ricochet city, I was waitin for the guy to catch one in the throat while he dumped sand into a perfectly innocent rifle. Who gives a shit!!!! How 'bout we drop test it out the 3rd story of a building, skid one across the parking lot, throw it out the back of a moving truck going 40, throw it out of a boat and come back for it in the morning, the kind of stuff thats more likely to happen to a service rifle than intentionally burying it with a shovel. It seems all weapons must be measured by the oh soooooooooooooo common burial in combat. My ass!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/13/2010 12:25:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The fact is that if you're fighting somewhere and your gun gets knocked/blown out of your hands into some dirt or sand while you were engaging the enemy, the AR has a better chance of functioning afterwords.

The fact is that if you're fighting somewhere and your gun gets knocked/blown out of your hands, AND INTENTIONALLY BURIED WITH A SHOVEL in some dirt or sand while you were engaging the enemy, the AR has a better chance of functioning afterwords.

Link Posted: 3/13/2010 12:32:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yeah... I don't get it.  The AR is dead easy to field strip and get any gunk out.

Well since we have to run'em so wet, the gunk sticks to all the lubed parts and thats NOT easy to get out, especially in the FCG. You  might be able to easily open up and dump out, but your parts are gonna look like powdered dough nuts.  AK tolerances dont mind the oily, sandy crud much. AR's hate grime in the lube.
Link Posted: 3/13/2010 1:45:34 AM EDT
[#10]
In before the AK fanboys.

ETA: too late
Link Posted: 3/13/2010 3:49:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Kaloshnilov should design engines. With his mystical ability to make parts run against each other without lubrication and never wear out we would never need to change the opil and the motor would still run forever.
Link Posted: 3/13/2010 8:23:11 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Kalashnikov said throw a handful of sand into the receiver - I am pretty sure he didn't say manually and deliberately pack it full to the brim with rocks and sand.

If you are carrying the weapon it will be on safe thus with the dust cover closed and even if for whatever reason it was not on safe unless you are in the sand storm of the century it will not get packed full as in this test.

The test is an artificially created scenario which to replicate in reality you'd have to low crawl a hundred yards on top of your rifle through the Sahara with your safety off to get that amount of debris in there.

If the rifle had the selector on fire and got dropped on the ground it would basically have to get buried completely to have a chance of being like this test.

No matter the type, how many people would pick up a buried rifle and immediately trust their life to it without opening up the guts to check for function?

It doesn't help the situation that the creator(s) of these videos were certainly proud of what they think they accomplished because they kept creating threads and posting links multiple times on different parts of this site and others.

Furthermore, if you check out the Youtube links, the creator/host of the test would make infantile and troll-like remarks intended specifically to incite a negative response.

Wind or vehicles can easily kick up the same amount of debris.

Please provide links for your statement in red. If you are going to call someone out, do it right.

The point of the videos were to show that ARs are not fragile pieces of porcelain. AK fanboys said BIG DEAL, my AK will do that all day long. Well...no it won't.

You wouldn't happen to be biased towards the AK would you? I mean, that IS an Izzy bakelite in your avatar, right? Having an emotional attachment to a rifle is silly. It's a machine, they can all fail.

Link Posted: 3/13/2010 9:34:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The weapons are buried in a "ready to fire" condition.... safeties off.  One of the points is that if you're moving through sandy/rocky material with the weapon on "fire" (not unreasonable given the AK's crappy selector design), the big-ass gap in the side of the weapon is a potential liability.

Having said that, most of these "realibility" type videos are contrived nonsense intended to prove what the "tester" already believed anyway.

Both the AR and the AK are very reliable platforms.

This sums it up perfectly.

If anyone has new doubts about their AK's, simply send them to me. I'll dispose of them properly.
Link Posted: 3/13/2010 9:37:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/13/2010 10:12:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Kaloshnilov should design engines. With his mystical ability to make parts run against each other without lubrication and never wear out we would never need to change the opil and the motor would still run forever.

Chrysler did that already with the 225 Slant Six.
Link Posted: 3/13/2010 12:53:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/13/2010 3:01:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Please provide links for your statement in red. If you are going to call someone out, do it right.

The point of the videos were to show that ARs are not fragile pieces of porcelain. AK fanboys said BIG DEAL, my AK will do that all day long. Well...no it won't.

You wouldn't happen to be biased towards the AK would you? I mean, that IS an Izzy bakelite in your avatar, right? Having an emotional attachment to a rifle is silly. It's a machine, they can all fail.

That isn't really a strong point to justify this test. I wouldin't just go shooting away with something that has been left out in the open to adverse conditions in extended amounts of times. "It could happen!" dosen't do it for me.
Link Posted: 3/13/2010 3:47:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah... I don't get it.  The AR is dead easy to field strip and get any gunk out.

Well since we have to run'em so wet, the gunk sticks to all the lubed parts and thats NOT easy to get out, especially in the FCG. You  might be able to easily open up and dump out, but your parts are gonna look like powdered dough nuts.  AK tolerances dont mind the oily, sandy crud much. AR's hate grime in the lube.

Again....??????  Mine runs fine all grimy, as long as it's lubed.  last weekend, you could have paved a road with the black crap in my AR.  Guess what?  Ran like a sewing machine.  The "fragility" of the AR is a armchair commando myth.
Link Posted: 3/13/2010 6:18:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Doesn't the AK fan boys have their very own special forum to run around and beat their chests on how much better the AK is than the AR platform?
Just saying...
GTFO! with your commie man love.
Link Posted: 3/15/2010 7:12:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Doesn't the AK fan boys have their very own special forum to run around and beat their chests on how much better the AK is than the AR platform?
Just saying...
GTFO! with your commie man love.

Don't worry, there's a monthly AR vs AK thread started in the AK forum trolled by AR fans too.
Link Posted: 3/15/2010 7:26:52 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That isn't really a strong point to justify this test. I wouldin't just go shooting away with something that has been left out in the open to adverse conditions in extended amounts of times. "It could happen!" dosen't do it for me.

So if you were being fired upon, and you saw a gun laying on the ground covered in dust, you would just leave it there and continue to duck??

Link Posted: 3/15/2010 7:33:52 PM EDT
[#22]
i know those guys
Link Posted: 3/15/2010 8:35:27 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

i know those guys

I'm not sure admitting that makes you look good

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top