Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/11/2018 1:13:12 PM EDT
Forgive me if this is in the wrong forum.

Because of a short back-and-forth between another poster and myself on another thread, it got me to thinking. Besides the stock adjusting to multiple positions and the ability to run a VFG on it, what advantage does an SBR have over an AR pistol. For the sake of discussion, let's say the barrel length on both is 11.5".

You see, I run my buttstocks in the same position regardless of how I'm using the weapon and I have never liked the vertical foregrip on any of my rifles. So...with that in mind, why would I bother to send in NFA papers to the government for permission to own what I basically legally own without their permission.

Educate me please. Am I missing something?
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 1:30:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Stock
- not made of rubber or thin plastic
- better sling mounts
- solid mounting, will not slide or rotate
- cheaper & are compatible with other rifles
- compatible factory staked mil spec receiver extension
- better looking

Every time I think I want a pistol, I realize that for just a few more dollars I could SBR a lower & throw a M4 stock on it that I have lying around.

That said the braces seem to be pretty effective for what they are, but they are still a compromise component. NFA aside, if it were brace vs stock, the stock is objectively better in every way. If there was a brace that was $70 or so that mounted to a regular Carbine extension, I might have a use for one. Last I checked you were in at least $140-200 for the brace & pistol tube.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 1:36:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Being able to legitimately shoulder a SBR is a big difference. I tried a pistol back before the brace craze but the opinion on those seems to change like the wind. I’ll take my SBRs and not worry about it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 1:37:20 PM EDT
[#3]
SBRs no longer makes sense with the very solid braces on the market. Here in Washington St I can have a loaded pistol in my vehicle not so much with a rifle.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 1:38:58 PM EDT
[#4]
That's pretty much it.  Stocks are a little bit more comfortable, but for me, the benefits of smaller package/conceal ability is where the braces just work.  If my profession involved carrying one every day then an sbr.  For those of us that want the convenience of the shorter length the brace is a great option.  There are some adjustable braces now.  I put  several of psa's 10.5 uppers on lowers with braces.  I really don't notice much difference between my one sbr and my pistol braces.  Be happy we have em!
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 1:39:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Pistol

Can take across state lines easier.
Can have loaded in vehicle (some state you can’t have rifles loaded)
No papers to keep up with
No stamp
No wait
Can sell and do whatever with.

And as for cost KAK blade brace and tube is about $70 and has a locking screw that fits into dimples on tube. Just as solid as a stock even if it is a little thin.  Very little Recoil anyway so it doesn’t matter.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 1:43:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
SBRs no longer makes sense with the very solid braces on the market. Here in Washington St I can have a loaded pistol in my vehicle not so much with a rifle.
View Quote
What he said ^. My co worker has sbr’s Rips on me for going pistol route. One advantage is I can have a pistol loaded in the truck.

If I have extra cash some time I’ll probabl sbr one. But for now just a small pistol tube with foam on it works best only because it doesn’t pull on my beard lol.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 1:54:45 PM EDT
[#7]
At this time there is no point in SBRs.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 1:58:25 PM EDT
[#8]
In my state i can carry a loaded pistol in my car, can't with a rifle.

If you want a VFG, build a pistol over 26" then add a VFG and create a firearm.

Many good brace options out now, some with adjustable LOP.

No $200 tax on pistols.

No extra engraving needed on pistols.

Easy to cross state lines with a pistol.

I have both pistols and SBRs.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 1:59:02 PM EDT
[#9]
You do you. If that's what you want and think, fine.

I don't want a pistol. I can keep the SBR loaded in my car and it's legal, even concealed. People need to know the laws of the people they argue this with, meaning states like mine where I am legally privileged more than them.

If I cross state lines then I'm driving a significant amount of distance through large amounts of open space. Who in their right mind wants a short barrel anything when a 14.5 pinned and welded, or even a 16 is best for this? Exactly.

The VFG helps me control the rifle with the way I shoot and it gives me more real estate to hold onto to make up for the lack of rail length.

I use the stock in the same position too; fully extended. Unless it's cold and I have extra layers then I move closer either one or two clicks. I like having that option.

And a stock is stronger and more durable than a blade as there's a lot of difference between feeling recoil and being unpleasant to cheek weld and having an actual comfortable stock that is pleasurable and comfortable to cheek weld.

I don't like the NFA laws but until it goes away I'm going to pay to play. It's my money, I'll do what I want with it and I don't care what others think about it. They have no say in the matter anyways.

So if you want to have a pistol, it's your money and not mine. I just don't see any valid reason for ME to want one because it's pointless and no one's argument will ever change my mind about it.

Link Posted: 2/11/2018 1:59:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Imo you need both.

The SBR lower(s) should be like any other lower you own so switching between your other lowers is seamless, and an SBR lower isn't an SBR with a 16"+ barreled upper.

One pistol lower for loaded/concealed/vehicle use and crossing state lines without sufficient notice to file a 5320.20.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 2:02:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
One of the often overlooked advantages of pistols.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 2:03:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Pistol

Can take across state lines easier.
Can have loaded in vehicle (some state you can’t have rifles loaded)
No papers to keep up with
No stamp
No wait
Can sell and do whatever with.

And as for cost KAK blade brace and tube is about $70 and has a locking screw that fits into dimples on tube. Just as solid as a stock even if it is a little thin.  Very little Recoil anyway so it doesn’t matter.
View Quote
The brace has these benefits which apply to NFA & certain state laws. The physical qualities of a stock make it the superior component, which is the reason some guys are willing to fill out the forms & pay the tax, because they want the superior part.

I'm not against the blade / brace, they are a cool idea & have certain applications, but if the NFA disappeared tomorrow do you think anyone would still be using them & proclaiming that there is no benefits to a regular Carbine stock?
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 2:07:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Is it?

What if I told you that I can legally conceal a rifle locked and loaded in my front seat that is also an SBR?

It's not an advantage then.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 2:11:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
For yourself?  I can respect that opinion.

But it's just your opinion and and not undisputed because I think that you're wrong.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 2:17:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You do you. If that's what you want and think, fine.

So if you want to have a pistol, it's your money and not mine. I just don't see any valid reason for ME to want one because it's pointless and no one's argument will ever change my mind about it.

View Quote
Smiley face or not....nobody seems to be arguing anything on this thread, only giving opinions. You seem to get your panties all in a wad over the subject matter of this thread (and another ). Chill.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 2:19:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
But it's just your opinion and and not undisputed because I think that you're wrong.
View Quote
An opinion can neither be right nor wrong...but merely an opinion.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 2:19:19 PM EDT
[#17]
This thread will turn into a pissing match. Guys saying their pistols are just as good as SBRs vs. guys that have paid the tax and waited for a SBR.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 2:29:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Smiley face or not....nobody seems to be arguing anything on this thread, only giving opinions. You seem to get your panties all in a wad over the subject matter of this thread (and another https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/icon_smile_wink.gif). Chill.
View Quote
You should chill too then, because I gave my opinion and you seem to be upset that someone disagres with you and the others in the same boat as you.

Chill dude

And if its opinions, then shouldn't they properly communicate them without speaking in undisputed language?

Over half of the arguments here would've never happened if people would communicate correctly.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 2:32:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

{ you seem to have an issue following the rules - F }
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 2:33:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Read the code of conduct in here, kid.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 2:34:01 PM EDT
[#21]
I got a pistol, the braces now a days are getting to be really good.
If you want a good stock that is comfortable you’ll be sacrificing a bit with a brace.
It comes down to if you wanna throw the gov $200. Here’s the catch, of you want a super sturdy brace, you’re paying $220.

That’s with a SBPDW brace. I paid $220 for it. It’s got 3 positions. The recoil is the same. If you train with it, it becomes second nature. I think it’s comfortable. I can shoot it all day.
I do NOT have a KAK blade but heard they work fine but might be a tad more uncomfortable than the SBPDW or a normal stock. The ATF has said its legal to shoulder a brace so I don’t know why that’s even a thing anymore that people complain about. I’ve only ever shot mine shouldered. Never used the brace part on it. And if I want to collapse it and make it smaller I can.

I don’t have an SBR but I plan to make one as my next build. Idk how your state is but some people can carry a pistol loaded in their car etc. but not a rifle.
What’s your intended purpose for this gun?

I live on the border of Michigan and INdiana. It’d be a pain to have an SBR since you can’t cross state lines with it. I’m skeptical of building one for that purpose.

If you’re not gonna go to other states with it, or carry it in your car, just do the paperwork and make it an SBR. Be on the safe side legally.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 2:37:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
{Should have listened to him - F }
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 2:43:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Just get a decent pistol brace and you can build your AR today.  SBR...enjoy the wait time.  It's partly a money issue to me (stamp cost), but the bigger issue...to me...is the wait time. ex. I Purchased my first suppressor/silencer/whateveryouwanttocall it back in September.  Haven't heard a peep from the ATF and I doubt I will for a few more months.

If the wait time doesn't put you off...I don't see a reason not to go the SBR route. To me though...it's a bit asinine to spend hundreds (or $1,000 or more) for something and to have to wait months (or a year or more) to take possession of it.  If the wait times were shorter, I'd be more likely to purchase additional NFA items. ex. .308 and .45 cans, as well as an SBR. As it is though...I doubt I'll rush out to buy any other NFA items.  At least not for the time being.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 2:50:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Look boy, you conesistently degrade threads with your emotional tirades that take posts as personal attacks, and some of us are sick of it. Grow up.
View Quote
You're telling me to grow up when you showed another emotional outburst like that?

K

Click.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 2:59:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes as others have stated.

Laws in WI regarding a rifle are a bit ambiguous, & pistols for concealment can be as well but to a lesser degree yet federal definition states it's a handgun... but here it states we can carry loaded rifles in a vehicle but it has to be visible from outside the vehicle & not within reach of the driver. So what is considered "within reach"? In a typical car that would mean the back seat or floorboard. Is that considered "within reach"? In a trunk would be typically out of reach but then it's not visible. In an SUV in the most rear is definitely outside of reach but with dark tinted windows is that considered concealed?

Also, I go to ranges in MN. With a pistol I can throw it in a case & not have any extra paperwork to worry about.

Each to their own for their own reasons is the bottom line.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 3:00:01 PM EDT
[#26]
As someone who's in AZ and has sbrs... I can see the benefit of both.  The reason I am for sbrs is mostly cause I have a trust and back when efile was a thing, it took me 3 weeks to get my (5) form 1s back. So for me, being able to have my sbrs and not a brace, is convenient.    I don't get the argument of "able to cross state lines"...  unless you live on the boarder of 1 state and the range u go to is another, then it's pointless.

I do see the flip of it.  U can throw a brace on there, call it a pistol, and treat it like a sbr.  Braces at first sucked but now they r almost the same as any normal stock.  So yeah...  pistol it this way u can go shoot and either submit the form 1 and then make it an sbr.... or not.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 3:10:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://memecrunch.com/meme/74BMD/do-you-need-a-snickers-and-some-midol/image.jpg
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 3:18:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:  The reason I am for sbrs is mostly cause I have a trust and back when efile was a thing, it took me 3 weeks to get my (5) form 1s back. So for me, being able to have my sbrs and not a brace, is convenient.    I don't get the argument of "able to cross state lines"...  unless you live on the boarder of 1 state and the range u go to is another, then it's pointless.

I do see the flip of it.  U can throw a brace on there, call it a pistol, and treat it like a sbr.  Braces at first sucked but now they r almost the same as any normal stock.  So yeah...  pistol it this way u can go shoot and either submit the form 1 and then make it an sbr.... or not.
View Quote
All this.  Those Sig Brace things were the only one I had tried.  Damn.
They seem to have upped their game.

So, are you allowed to shoulder them, now?  Is that even a concern?  I have no idea.

SBRs give me no concern.  I carry one of my pinned 14.5s to other states, now that I can.  In AK, I only had a country to carry into
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 3:33:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

So, are you allowed to shoulder them, now?
View Quote
Yes. It is not an opinion, it is fact. There's a letter written by ATF(?) that details what is considered a pistol stock and what is allowed in its usage. Maybe someone will link it. Basically it stated that a pistol stock, whether shouldered or not, does not make it into something other than a pistol stock.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 3:33:43 PM EDT
[#30]
If you just want a shorty to shoot on the range.... go pistol.
Want something that you can have forever go SBR.

The benefit of a SBR you can have a true shorty.
And what stock/brace and whether you can shoulder it or not. Does not
depend on who is in charge at ATF and higher levels current interpretation.

Where I live the Sheriff has to approve SBR, currently he loves all things guns but....
Next election, there is a not so friendly towards guns guy running so
ability to get SBR could be non-exists in the future where I live.
And SBR not allowed for defense.
Research your SBR laws in your State then decide.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 3:34:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Do both. That’s what I did, and that’s the ARFcom way. I’ve got a pistol lower for traveling and all that shit, and I’m waiting on a form 1 for an SBR Lower. With all the braces these days, it’s somewhat hard for most people to justify an sbr.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 3:40:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It comes down to if you wanna throw the gov $200. Here's the catch, of you want a super sturdy brace, you're paying $220.
View Quote
Good post and an awesome pistol. For me, it's not about the money or the wait time. I just try to keep as much personal information away from the government as I can. Besides that, my AR pistol is only a range toy. I have a 14.5" pin & welded BCM for my main HD/SHTF weapon. It's compact enough for me to do what I'll need it to do.

Also, if SHTF ever does happen all laws are basically going out the window and there are other options for the pistol upper if need be.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 3:45:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Yes. It is not an opinion, it is fact. There's a letter written by ATF(?) that details what is considered a pistol stock and what is allowed in its usage. Maybe someone will link it. Basically it stated that a pistol stock, whether shouldered or not, does not make it into something other than a pistol stock.
View Quote
ATF letter opinions change all the time. Just because it’s good now doesn’t mean it will always be good. We are talking about the government here.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 3:45:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Nice weapon, and it looks like it is well-used. I love the looks of wear marks on firearms.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 3:47:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

ATF letter opinions change all the time. Just because it's good now doesn't mean it will always be good. We are talking about the government here.
View Quote
Which is why I do not trust them with my personal firearm information.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 3:47:53 PM EDT
[#36]
I tossed around the idea of going the SBR route but I just didn't want to deal with the limitations and hassles, or what I perceive as limitations and hassles. I use the Shockwave Blades on my two pistols and am quite happy with the decision to go that route. I just don't care to do the whole tax stamp thing, then the wait, then reporting when I cross state lines with my gun. It's too much involvement in my life. If you are ok with the SBR route, then to each his own.
As for the Blade being uncomfortable to shoot...that's not true. It's not as nice as a real stock, but it's certainly not uncomfortable, even when I use the Echo mode. My only concern with using the Blade would be an uninformed LEO, who doesn't know the law, and takes what he thinks are appropriate actions for an illegal weapon.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 3:51:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Which is why I do not trust them with my personal firearm information. https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/icon_smile_wink.gif
View Quote
You already did that when you bought the gun at any dealer.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 3:52:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Nice weapon, and it looks like it is well-used. I love the looks of wear marks on firearms.
View Quote
Thanks that's the second barrel on the gun, shot first one at after a number of years.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 3:55:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I tossed around the idea of going the SBR route but I just didn't want to deal with the limitations and hassles, or what I perceive as limitations and hassles. I use the Shockwave Blades on my two pistols and am quite happy with the decision to go that route. I just don't care to do the whole tax stamp thing, then the wait, then reporting when I cross state lines with my gun. It's too much involvement in my life. If you are ok with the SBR route, then to each his own.
As for the Blade being uncomfortable to shoot...that's not true. It's not as nice as a real stock, but it's certainly not uncomfortable, even when I use the Echo mode. My only concern with using the Blade would be an uninformed LEO, who doesn't know the law, and takes what he thinks are appropriate actions for an illegal weapon.
View Quote
Unfortunately for you it still is true being uncomfortable to shoot. You may not feel that way but it still doesn't change how I feel and neither does it make it any less true or not. If a person says it's uncomfortable, then it's true. Why are you so concerned about how another person relates their experience about it?
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 3:56:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Which is why I do not trust them with my personal firearm information. https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/icon_smile_wink.gif
View Quote
I’m not worried about that. I have a passport and global entry etc along with quite a few NFA items. They know who I am and there’s nothing to stop them from really wanting to know you if they think there is justification.

Here’s the bottom line: current braces are designed to skirt the SBR law. I’m all for that and want millions of people to enjoy short ARs as that is their right. The NFA should be repealed but as of right now we have rules to play by. However, one day the ATF could wake up and change their mind on braces just as they’ve done so many times before.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 4:02:15 PM EDT
[#41]
I personally think SBR's are head and shoulders better than AR pistols. Even after the wait and the cost it's worth it.

Completely adjustable stock is golden.

It still qualifies as a pistol under my state laws for carry purposes.

People who are unwilling to jump through the hoops are jealous! That makes it all worth while.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 4:02:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I’m not worried about that. I have a passport and global entry etc along with quite a few NFA items. They know who I am and there’s nothing to stop them from really wanting to know you if they think there is justification.

Here’s the bottom line: current braces are designed to skirt the SBR law. I’m all for that and want millions of people to enjoy short ARs as that is their right. The NFA should be repealed but as of right now we have rules to play by. However, one day the ATF could wake up and change their mind on braces just as they’ve done so many times before.
View Quote
Like the bum fire stocks.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 4:04:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Like the bum fire stocks.
View Quote
Exactly. All it takes is something to be in the spotlight and the heat is on.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 4:38:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Everytime I saw my brace it made me think of the stupid laws that make me have that ugly compromise contraption on there in the first place.  Everytime I looked at it I thought how it would look much better with a real stock.  That alone was worth $200 bucks to me.

I do have a pistol lower so I could carry it in my car but I honestly never do that so I haven’t even used that lower since I got my stamp back.  Probably end up selling the brace and just building it into a normal lower.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 4:41:17 PM EDT
[#45]
I've got a number of both, different tools for different jobs. (I just can't seem to have a complete upper laying around.)
Around the state I have no worries, we allow any and all manner of loaded firearm in your vehicle, CCW holder or not via our expanded castle doctrine, if it's legal to have in your house it's legal to have in your vehicle (I call THAT "sensible gun laws") I wasn't always afforded this un-infriged right, So I left (california) for greener pastures. I guess it's all about what's important to you.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 4:52:43 PM EDT
[#46]
For those who have already done SBR's I can understand the reasons for thinking they are better. With all the braces to choose from now and some of them being in line with even the best stocks in most any aspect a SBR makes little sense now. If you owned a SBR before all the braces came about then good for you, suck it up and count it as what you needed to do at the time.
If you want a short barrel AR nowadays just get a nice brace and go shooting.
Pistols=
Considered pistols and therefor benefit from all the bonuses of such. Big difference for many people.
No waiting.
No paperwork or Hassles now or in the future from the ATF.
Can quickly and easily be sold.
Does the same exact thing as a SBR but can also be shot comfortably one handed if desired.
Saves $200 that can be used toward buying a brace.
Does not condone or contribute to the ATF / NFA.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 4:58:56 PM EDT
[#47]
If you're going to leave it out next to your bed or in your car trunk or something, then I'd leave it as a pistol. Don't want an NFA item getting stolen or going to the evidence locker. Otherwise I'd SBR it. But yeah know it can start it's life off as a pistol first while you wait.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 5:14:39 PM EDT
[#48]
I can see both sides. I live in a free state so SBR all the things.

Do what makes you happy.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 5:22:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Unfortunately for you it still is true being uncomfortable to shoot. You may not feel that way but it still doesn't change how I feel and neither does it make it any less true or not. If a person says it's uncomfortable, then it's true. Why are you so concerned about how another person relates their experience about it?
View Quote
Not unfortunate for me. I'm not concerned, but you're overly sensitive because you're making a big deal about me voicing my opinion. Ironically, that's what you're accusing me of.

In my experience, as well as those that I know who have shot the Blade, it's not uncomfortable. I go off that.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 5:30:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Not unfortunate for me. I'm not concerned, but you're overly sensitive because you're making a big deal about me voicing my opinion. Ironically, that's what you're accusing me of.

In my experience, as well as those that I know who have shot the Blade, it's not uncomfortable. I go off that.
View Quote
I could say the same with you. It concerned you enough that it compelled you to try and discredit what I wrote about my experience with it and that's what I'm basing this on.

So in my experience and with another who owns one, and he has agreed that it's not as comfortable as an actual stock. I'm going with what my experience is and not with someone else's experiences.

It's as simple as that.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top