User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 82
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 10:27:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I ordered them together crap I know its Nitrided not sure if its for a 6.5 ?
View Quote
As long as you ordered an Aero nitride BCG then you are good to go, they are designed to work well with the 6.5 CM.  Check out the item description on Aero's site.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 10:42:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes there is an older design Phosphate and an older design NiB, Both of which don't play well with the creedmoor. They have a v2 design of the bcg available in Nitride and Phosphate. But as far as I know the NiB is still v1, and the nitride only v2.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 11:35:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I went to their site and both list 6.5 compatible but I did order the Nitrided carrier . Can wait to get it together.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 3:23:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yes there is an older design Phosphate and an older design NiB, Both of which don't play well with the creedmoor. They have a v2 design of the bcg available in Nitride and Phosphate. But as far as I know the NiB is still v1, and the nitride only v2.
View Quote
Do you know of any issues with Aero's NiB-coated bolts and 6.5 CM?
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 11:58:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I know its the original design for .308. The firing pin is the standard .308 firing pin. And when I used mine I has constant FTE's and double feeds over multiple mags. I threw in a Nitrided Toolcraft and the rifle cycled. But there was quite significant primer flow. So I replaced it with a Gen 2 Aero. I wanted a JP High Pressure bolt but I got the Aero complete BCG for $145. It included the revised firing pin/bolt and I have had no issues. So all was well.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 1:13:00 AM EDT
[#6]
The bolt that comes with the NiB BCG is not high pressure rated. The firing pin hole is larger. I would imagine if you swapped the bolt for something that is high pressure rated the carrier itself would be fine.
Their phosphate and nitride bolts are high pressure rated for 6.5 CM, et al.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 5:21:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Good to know. I'll swap out the bolt itself and call it good. While I'll have both, I may as well try the NiB bolt to see if it works. If not, out it comes.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 8:07:52 PM EDT
[#8]
What did you guys do for lower parts kits ? I was trying to find a kit without a trigger if possible.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 8:52:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What did you guys do for lower parts kits ? I was trying to find a kit without a trigger if possible.
View Quote
I ordered this one yesterday for my M5 striped lower seemed like a good price to me anyways.

http://www.schuylerarmsco.com/overstock-sale/ar-10-lower-partsaccessories-993/m5-308-lower-parts-kit-minus-fcgpistol-grip-9931800
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 9:03:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I ordered this one yesterday for my M5 striped lower seemed like a good price to me anyways.

http://www.schuylerarmsco.com/overstock-sale/ar-10-lower-partsaccessories-993/m5-308-lower-parts-kit-minus-fcgpistol-grip-9931800
View Quote
Yep this one works as it should.

hot linked for you
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 9:11:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yep this one works as it should.

hot linked for you
View Quote
Thanks I suck at that stuff and only have a tablet.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 10:29:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perfect Thank You
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 9:24:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
I went with the CMMG Mk3 Gun Builders LPK. Everything fit fine. I was planning on going Aero but they were out of stock for so long I just got the CMMG. No ragrets.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 10:36:34 PM EDT
[#14]
View All Quotes
@Deussne what rail do you have on your aero m5?

eta:  nevermind i should have kept reading further.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Barrel / handguard length's? Spec's?
16" Faxon Mid length gas
CMT UHPR 15.0 MOD1-HP Handguard
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 12:46:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Just picked up a stripped M5 upper/lower set. Does anyone here have experience with the Ballistics Advantage 14.5 barrel? I'm 99% set on it, along with an adjustable gas block and wondering if there are any potential pitfalls.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 2:25:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Well JRBReloading has persuaded me I need an AR10. I went ahead and purchased an M5E1 Builders Set from Schuyler.

I have been doing some research and I have read some people have used the Armalite AR10 Carbine Buffer Tube, spring, and buffer in their M5 builds.

I went ahead and ordered this. Anyone heard of people having issues with this https://www.armalite.com/product/ar10rekit01-6-position-receiver-extension-kit/
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 9:40:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Well JRBReloading has persuaded me I need an AR10. I went ahead and purchased an M5E1 Builders Set from Schuyler.

I have been doing some research and I have read some people have used the Armalite AR10 Carbine Buffer Tube, spring, and buffer in their M5 builds.

I went ahead and ordered this. Anyone heard of people having issues with this https://www.armalite.com/product/ar10rekit01-6-position-receiver-extension-kit/
View Quote
I use the Armalite setup in two of my three .308 builds. Works great and I like it better than the stubby DPMS style. Heavier buffer really helps.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 10:54:25 PM EDT
[#18]
What buffer for the 6.5 Creedmoor ?
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 11:34:55 PM EDT
[#19]
I use rifle buffers in both of my .308 and 6.5 creedmoor M5's.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 1:57:12 AM EDT
[#20]
What adjustable gas block are you guys running in your 6.5s?
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 10:45:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I use the Armalite setup in two of my three .308 builds. Works great and I like it better than the stubby DPMS style. Heavier buffer really helps.
View Quote
Perfect! Thanks for the feedback.
The longer buffer system made a lot more sense to me as well. Increased dwell time/slower unlocking, plus it spreads the recoil force over a longer period making it for a smoother impulse(theoretically at least).
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 6:49:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Anyone willing to trade a NiB complete bolt carrier group for a nitrided group?

It's never been used, as I'm still assembling parts for my build. When I bought it, Aero did not have any notice about using it with higher pressure cartridges, otherwise I would have just bought the nitride group. I won't split hairs over the price difference, either.

And no, Aero will not sell a bolt separately; that would be too easy.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 3:16:48 PM EDT
[#23]
I just noticed the Brownells BCG's appear to be the exact same as Aero's.

https://aeroprecisionusa.com/308-bolt-carrier-group-black-nitride.html
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/bolt-carrier-parts/bolt-carriers/308ar-bolt-carrier-group-308-win-nitride-mp-sku078102004-105380-202840.aspx?sku=078-102-004
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 7:50:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I just noticed the Brownells BCG's appear to be the exact same as Aero's.

https://aeroprecisionusa.com/308-bolt-carrier-group-black-nitride.html
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/bolt-carrier-parts/bolt-carriers/308ar-bolt-carrier-group-308-win-nitride-mp-sku078102004-105380-202840.aspx?sku=078-102-004
View Quote
I wonder if the NiB version is also worthy...it's only $10 more than the Nitride bolt.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 2:37:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 3:37:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Nice! What handguard is that?
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 3:55:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Are the majority of us using LR/SR PMAGs? The picture above reminded me that I've been thinking about trying other options. I read some guys had issues with Lancer L7AWM mags. Those L7AWMs looked like they might be a nice option. The Larue mags cost so much I can't bring myself to try one.

What are you guys using? I just watched a video recently that had me questioning how durable PMAGs really are. I'll probably never put mine through anything more strenuous than dropping it in the dirt. But I still wonder if I shouldn't have some better quality mags.

I almost pulled the trigger on some L7AWMs last week but I went with what I know and got more PMAGs.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 4:14:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Its the CMT mod 1 15".
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 7:24:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Any height variance between the CMT  rail picatinny and M5 upper receiver?  Also any problems with the rail not having anti-rotation tabs built in to it and it rotating around?  Nice looking build.  I've been thinking about buying the CMT rail for my M5 buikld.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 7:27:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Any height variance between the CMT  rail picatinny and M5 upper receiver?  Also any problems with the rail not having anti-rotation tabs built in to it and it rotating around?  Nice looking build.  I've been thinking about buying the CMT rail for my M5 buikld.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 11:27:38 PM EDT
[#31]
It fits nicely to the Aero upper and the rail has anti rotational set up.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 9:36:50 AM EDT
[#32]
I've had the AR 308 itch for a while and all the noise about an AWB caused me to scratch it. PSA has been Tempting me with their cheap PA-10 daily deals but being an Areo Fanboy  I put the Google fu to work and found the M5 Builder set at Schuyler For $310. Added a Aero bolt to the order for $150.
Threw in a cheap PSA 308 18" Mid SS SOCOM barrrel for $99 until I get time to gear up for 7mm-08 reloading. Topped off with a SI dust cover, SI FA, and Brownells gas block I'm in it for less than a PA-10 upper and stripped lower.

I have a couple of questions about a LPK. Brownells has a DPMS LPK for $35 The plus is from what I've heard the DPMS bolt catch is less prone to breakage in over gassed  improperly timed rifles. The con is reports of the Piviot/takedown pins are short.

I will  run a can and adjustable block so the breakage issue is  mostly mute but is the DPMS catch superior? It's 9 bucks if I buy it separate.

How much of an issue is the DPMS pin fitment in a M5E1 receiver?

BTW don't flame me for not searching but paperwork is piling up and I've ignored work enough just getting to this point in the project.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 2:32:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I've had the AR 308 itch for a while and all the noise about an AWB caused me to scratch it. PSA has been Tempting me with their cheap PA-10 daily deals but being an Areo Fanboy  I put the Google fu to work and found the M5 Builder set at Schuyler For $310. Added a Aero bolt to the order for $150.
Threw in a cheap PSA 308 18" Mid SS SOCOM barrrel for $99 until I get time to gear up for 7mm-08 reloading. Topped off with a SI dust cover, SI FA, and Brownells gas block I'm in it for less than a PA-10 upper and stripped lower.

I have a couple of questions about a LPK. Brownells has a DPMS LPK for $35 The plus is from what I've heard the DPMS bolt catch is less prone to breakage in over gassed  improperly timed rifles. The con is reports of the Piviot/takedown pins are short.

I will  run a can and adjustable block so the breakage issue is  mostly mute but is the DPMS catch superior? It's 9 bucks if I buy it separate.

BTW don't flame me for not searching but paperwork is piling up and I've ignored work enough just getting to this point in the project.
View Quote
Other pivot and takedown pins will not work in an aero set. Just order the LPK from Aero with the pins. Or buy them separate which will most likely cost a few bucks more.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 3:21:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Other pivot and takedown pins will not work in an aero set. Just order the LPK from Aero with the pins. Or buy them separate which will most likely cost a few bucks more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is what I did order the Aero kit minus trigger and grip.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 11:44:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
buy once cry once. I'll stop being a cheapskate and by the complete Kit from Schuyler
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 11:55:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
buy once cry once. I'll stop being a cheapskate and by the complete Kit from Schuyler
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They were out of the kits last week Aero had them in stock .
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 1:01:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aero Precision AR-10 Lower Parts Kit without Trigger and Grip
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 8:24:00 AM EDT
[#38]
I went ahead and picked up a DPMS LPK less trigger because I really wanted their bolt catch. With my discount the kit was $30.44 From Brownells.
Picked up extended pins from Ground Zero hope they work as good as their rep claimed on the phone.
Trying out the Tac-Star ARMS Stock for a $Franklin$ and a Rise RA-140 trigger for $85 again with my C&R discount from Brownells. With 5 Hex mags the total parts for the parts for this built came to $972.81 delivered.
As long as the PSA SOCOM barrel is not a turd this under $1k budget build should be a winner.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 8:45:25 AM EDT
[#39]
NEVER FAILS!!!!!
If I wait to place an order it goes out of stock; if I pull the trigger a better deals pops up
Brownells is having a Magpul sale the PRS is $199 use the code M8X for free shipping and $10 off
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 2:54:54 AM EDT
[#40]
The beginnings of my first 308 build.

Inexpensive new stuff and leftover ar15 parts. So far I'm liking how it's turning out.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 5:10:04 AM EDT
[#41]

Hate to show you this, but this is from Primary arms two weeks ago.
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 8:23:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Can anyone recommend some good match grade ammo for my M5? The BA barrel is shooting lights out with pmc bronze but I want to see what I can really do.
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 10:30:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Can anyone recommend some good match grade ammo for my M5? The BA barrel is shooting lights out with pmc bronze but I want to see what I can really do.
View Quote
Federal Gold Medal Match (FGGM) 168gr.  
SGAmmo and Target Sports USA usually have good prices on this.
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 10:41:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Thanks, I’ll give it a shot
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 9:52:48 AM EDT
[#45]
I want to build a MK11 Mod 0 clone or near clone on some kind of "reasonable budget".  I know, reasonable and MK11 don't go together, but a man can dream!  I love the KAC RAS look and feel and have a number of AR15's: M4, MK12 Mod 1, A2 with RAS and they need a big brother.  A couple of questions:

I have two M5 upper/lower sets and most of the parts for one rifle except for stock (A2), barrel, handguard, gas block/tube.  I found a real KAC SR-25 MK11 Mod 0 RAS and from all of my research it should work with the M5 upper (DPMS "High").  Does anyone have any experience doing this or think of any issues/reasons why it will not work on an M5 upper?  It's very pricy so I don't want to make a big $ mistake.

Assuming I go with the MK11 RAS, which barrel do I want to get?

Related to barrel, which gas block?  I want to be able to clear the RAS.  And, ideally, be able to use the folddown front sight space in the RAS.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 3:37:33 PM EDT
[#46]
I've been pretty pleased with the M5 sets I've purchased. They went together well and both are good shooters. Better than I'm capable of.  I enjoy shooting them and glad I built them up.

Both of mine.  The second is finally done.  The first I've had for a while. The grip and the trigger need to be switched for new parts soon. They look the same,  but there are differences (not only caliber). Only other addition will be a can (or two ).

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 2:30:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I want to build a MK11 Mod 0 clone or near clone on some kind of "reasonable budget".  I know, reasonable and MK11 don't go together, but a man can dream!  I love the KAC RAS look and feel and have a number of AR15's: M4, MK12 Mod 1, A2 with RAS and they need a big brother.  A couple of questions:

I have two M5 upper/lower sets and most of the parts for one rifle except for stock (A2), barrel, handguard, gas block/tube.  I found a real KAC SR-25 MK11 Mod 0 RAS and from all of my research it should work with the M5 upper (DPMS "High").  Does anyone have any experience doing this or think of any issues/reasons why it will not work on an M5 upper?  It's very pricy so I don't want to make a big $ mistake.

Assuming I go with the MK11 RAS, which barrel do I want to get?

Related to barrel, which gas block?  I want to be able to clear the RAS.  And, ideally, be able to use the folddown front sight space in the RAS.
View Quote
Anyone?
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 1:33:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Well, I went ahead and blew a chunk of my tax return on most of the parts for a M5E1 6.5 Creedmoor build. All I have left to buy is a muzzle device, gas block (planning on a SLR Sentry), gas tube, scope mount, magazines, and a trigger. I've got it all picked out, but will get the rest as funds allow.

What I'm wondering is, what's the current consensus for off the shelf match ammo for these? I'll be using a Ballistic Advantage Premium Series 22" 6.5 Creedmoor Heavy Contour Stainless Barrel http://ballisticadvantage.com/22-inch-65-rifle-ss-premium-barrel.html I've been hearing good things about Federal American Eagle, of all things, oddly enough. But I've been curious about the Hornady with their ELD bullets. The most I'll be doing is some target shooting on my own, and possibly entering a steel match if I can get home when one is going on. And I would handload, but I generally don't have the time without rushing through it, and that's the last thing I want to do when handloading.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 11:39:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Prime ammo in 6.5 creed is a Best Buy! Norma brass and Norma 130 gr bullets.  Sales come up fairly regularly for about $245/case (200 rounds). It shoots very well in my 20” BA Hanson profile barrel
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 3:28:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Prime ammo in 6.5 creed is a Best Buy! Norma brass and Norma 130 gr bullets.  Sales come up fairly regularly for about $245/case (200 rounds). It shoots very well in my 20" BA Hanson profile barrel
View Quote
Ok, thanks. I'll keep that in mind. Went ahead and ordered some more parts. So all I'll have left is the muzzle device and bipod. Well...and the time to put it together.
Page / 82
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top