BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 82
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 8:53:28 PM EDT
[#1]
So regarding accuracy, Criterion 16" nitrided 1-10 twist ADM barrel shooting M118LR with the Aero bolt:

The bottom group measurement got cut off so look to the right, the table is for that group. 1" orange dot. The not shown group is overall 1.4 MOA. These were pretty typical groups, one has 6 rounds because I can't count.

Same deal, with the Fulton bolt:

I think if I slowed it down, that I could tighten those up. I shot them back to back and the suppressor was casting a bit of mirage on the last 2 groups.

Anyways, not bad for a home brewed gas gun. Anyone need an Aero BCG? lol
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 9:04:51 PM EDT
[#2]
First couple rounds down range with the new 6.5 creedmoor build. It will not eject spent casing, to get it to eject takes a great force pulling back on charging handle.
Some specs are toolcraft dual ejector dlc bcg, 20" premium fluted barrel and 140 grain american gunner. Any ideas?
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 9:23:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
First couple rounds down range with the new 6.5 creedmoor build. It will not eject spent casing, to get it to eject takes a great force pulling back on charging handle.
Some specs are toolcraft dual ejector dlc bcg, 20" premium fluted barrel and 140 grain american gunner. Any ideas?
View Quote

What does the brass look like?

Any pressure signs, cratered primer, extractor swipes?

What barrel maker?
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 9:52:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

What barrel maker?
View Quote

Ballistic Advantage on barrel sorry left that out. Bullet itself has a spiral winding around it. Manually cycling it is smooth round to round with out mag in the well. Add the pmag and it feels gritty and binds up? Primer strike is mint, can get a pic of that as well.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 9:53:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 8:04:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Ballistic Advantage on barrel sorry left that out. Bullet itself has a spiral winding around it. Manually cycling it is smooth round to round with out mag in the well. Add the pmag and it feels gritty and binds up? Primer strike is mint, can get a pic of that as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What barrel maker?

You eject the unfired round and it has rifling marks on the projectile?

I’m going to go with the chamber being out of spec.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 10:23:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Load dev on the 22" Criterion Creedmoor is starting to show promise.

20200625_191154 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

20200625_191209 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

Two good hunting loads.  Gonna put together probably 20-30 of each and take the chrono next time so i can get velocities and make dope charts.

Also have some 140 Berger Hunting VLDs to try.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 12:54:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Correct. I double checked gas block alignment. Stumped.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 2:11:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Correct. I double checked gas block alignment. Stumped.
View Quote

I would wager if unfired rounds are ejected with rifling marks on them that it has an out of spec chamber. The round is seated in the chamber with no freebore with the projectile forced into the lands and is likely causing over pressure.

I’d send the barrel back, or take it to a smith and have it rechambered.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 6:07:22 PM EDT
[#10]
@Mister_H

Thanks for sharing your results.  It's nice to see that a headspaced bolt really does make a difference.

I am glad you got your issue sorted out!

Quoted:
So regarding accuracy, Criterion 16" nitrided 1-10 twist ADM barrel shooting M118LR with the Aero bolt:

https://i.ibb.co/MGDb4TZ/M5-3-1.jpg

The bottom group measurement got cut off so look to the right, the table is for that group. 1" orange dot. The not shown group is overall 1.4 MOA. These were pretty typical groups, one has 6 rounds because I can't count.

https://i.ibb.co/qk6gWQ4/M5-2-3.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/GJHb4Dd/M5-1-1.jpg

I think if I slowed it down, that I could tighten those up. I shot them back to back and the suppressor was casting a bit of mirage on the last 2 groups.

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/29/2020 7:09:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Attachment Attached File
Found some rubbing issues
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 7:16:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Built this today. Cerakote work came out nice. 12.5" SBR

Aero upper and lower
Slrrifleworks 11.7"
BA 12.5" barrel

Link Posted: 6/30/2020 11:21:32 AM EDT
[#13]
I’m getting blown primers, any thoughts?
red army standard 150grn, mid gas, non adj gas block, always suppressed.

Overpassed? Cheap ammo? Both? Primer fell into fire control group and locked up.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 11:33:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I’m getting blown primers, any thoughts?
red army standard 150grn, mid gas, non adj gas block, always suppressed.

Overpassed? Cheap ammo? Both? Primer fell into fire control group and locked up.

Thanks in advance.
View Quote

Couldn't possibly be the ammo. Steel cased Russian ammo called "Red Army Standard" has to be top shelf. Lol
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 12:18:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Couldn't possibly be the ammo. Steel cased Russian ammo called "Red Army Standard" has to be top shelf. Lol
View Quote

It’s groups decent and I like to shoot a lot so 1/2 the cost means twice the shooting. Only happened a few times first couple hundred rounds so not sure why it is happening more now.

5 shots at ~180yds with Tula 150SP, this stuff is similar.  So not horrible for steel ammo and works well for critters.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/30/2020 1:45:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I have two M5 lowers in my safe.  Thinking about building one out into a suedo M110K1 wannabe rifle.  Anyone have success in building one?  As much as I'd like to stay 6.5CM like my other rifles just for the sake of ammo commonality, I think this will be in .308
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 7:38:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

My 6.5 build is all Aero/BA, except for the Silencerco brake and the SLR block. I had the same problem. Had to drill the gas port (can't remember the diameter I went with), and had to lightly dehorn the bolt and extension because the edges were so crisp that they hung up on each other.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 8:08:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

My 6.5 build is all Aero/BA, except for the Silencerco brake and the SLR block. I had the same problem. Had to drill the gas port (can't remember the diameter I went with), and had to lightly dehorn the bolt and extension because the edges were so crisp that they hung up on each other.
View Quote

Thank you for the input
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 8:28:52 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm going out Friday morning (weather permitting) to take the first shots, adjust the gas block and sight in my recently completed AR-10/308...my first one!  Build details here but my goals are to first confirm basic function and follow the directions for the Superlative Arms gas block to make sure it functions properly.  All the while also following the Faxon barrel break in guidance:

4150 & 416-R QPQ Barrels
Shoot once, clean copper out. Repeat this twice.
Shoot five rounds, clean copper out.
Shoot ten rounds, clean copper out.

Finally, sight in the scope at 100 yards.

Questions

1) I have some Atomic general purpose 168 BTHP ammo that I was going to use for the initial function, gas block and barrel breakin process.  Then switch to either IMI 168 or 175 SMK style ammo.  Sound good?  
2) I was planning to sight-in using one of the two IMI ammos...any suggestions?  Barrel: Faxon 16", Medium Tapered, .308 WIN, Mid-Length, 416-R Stainless QPQ
3) I'm open to any other suggestions/advice

Link Posted: 6/30/2020 8:39:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
@Mister_H

Thanks for sharing your results.  It's nice to see that a headspaced bolt really does make a difference.

I am glad you got your issue sorted out.

View Quote

Glad someone else got something out of it.

I’ve been wanting to test this exact thing. Usually I’ll get a matched bolt from the barrel maker when I build a gun, but in this instance the barrel I wanted that was available at the time didn’t give me the option.

A good dude I know who is smarter than me told me when he builds an AR he will test it with different bolts to find the one that shoots best. I’m thinking there is something to it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 9:26:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Hey folks, just finished my first AR-10 build (.308)! I really only plan to ever use it from a bench or a blind, feel free to let me know anything that I did that was horribly dumb lol

Aero Complete Upper - M5E1 with 18" 416R stainless barrel: 1:10 twist I think?
Aero BCG - Black Nitride
Aero Stripped M5 Lower
Aero M5 .308 Carbine Buffer Kit
Aero LPK
Larue MBT-2S Trigger
Radian Raptor charging handle - The cheapo one I bought from Aero was really fucking hard to operate for some reason. Raptor feels great.
Magpul STR Stock
Magpul MOE+ Grip
Vortex Viper PST Gen II 5-25x FFP scope w/ MOA reticle - Not gonna lie, I think this is too much scope.....I went with it because it was only $100 more than the 3-15
Vortex QD 2" Cantilever Mount
Magpul bipod (I have a Harris I can put on but I wanted to try one of these)
Precision Armament M4-72 .308 Compensator

Any recommendations on which factory loads will likely produce the best accuracy? Looking for hunting loads for around 200 yards and also target loads for up to 500 or so.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 12:18:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Built this today. Cerakote work came out nice. 12.5" SBR

Aero upper and lower
Slrrifleworks 11.7"
BA 12.5" barrel

https://imgdump5.novarata.net/0nsds4.jpg
View Quote

What color cerakote? Rifle looks great. Love SLR rails.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 8:01:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Hey folks, just finished my first AR-10 build (.308)! I really only plan to ever use it from a bench or a blind, feel free to let me know anything that I did that was horribly dumb lol

https://i.imgur.com/ewkicGF.jpg

Aero BCG - Black Nitride
Aero Stripped M5 Lower
Aero LPK
Larue MBT-2S Trigger
Radian Raptor charging handle - The cheapo one I bought from Aero was really fucking hard to operate for some reason. Raptor feels great.
Magpul STR Stock
Magpul MOE+ Grip
Vortex Viper PST Gen II 5-25x FFP scope w/ MOA reticle - Not gonna lie, I think this is too much scope.....I went with it because it was only $100 more than the 3-15

Any recommendations on which factory loads will likely produce the best accuracy? Looking for hunting loads for around 200 yards and also target loads for up to 500 or so.
View Quote

That's pretty much the build I'm currently working except the stock and muzzle brake. FDE for me and I'm using the 3-15 you mentioned.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 9:30:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Aero BCG - Black Nitride
Aero Stripped M5 Lower
Aero LPK
Larue MBT-2S Trigger
Magpul STR Stock
Magpul MOE+ Grip

View Quote

Looks great! I first went with the 5-25 but had the same thought you did. Too much scope for my intended purpose. Ended up selling it.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 4:51:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That's pretty much the build I'm currently working except the stock and muzzle brake. FDE for me and I'm using the 3-15 you mentioned.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Awesome. I'm hoping it cycles reliably in its current configuration, it seems a ton of people in AR10 threads use adjustable gas blocks which I don't think this has? Zero experience with them though.

Quoted:

Looks great! I first went with the 5-25 but had the same thought you did. Too much scope for my intended purpose. Ended up selling it.

I saw you mention that before, when the scope was already ordered lol. Dangit
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 5:03:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Awesome. I'm hoping it cycles reliably in its current configuration, it seems a ton of people in AR10 threads use adjustable gas blocks which I don't think this has? Zero experience with them though.

I saw you mention that before, when the scope was already ordered lol. Dangit
View Quote

Don't get me wrong it's a great scope, especially for the price. I got it on the initial sale from MidwayUSA for I think $725. If I ever started shooting longer ranges I wouldn't hesitate to get another. I just don't ever use higher magnification.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 11:54:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 1:33:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 2:06:42 PM EDT
[#29]

Nice collection you have there!
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 10:16:52 PM EDT
[#30]

Pretty much the only Aero part is the lower itself, but hey - it got the job done.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 8:34:17 AM EDT
[#31]

@ThatGuy01

Looks great!  

So the upper receiver is not Aero?  What upper receiver are you using?
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 12:49:56 PM EDT
[#32]
CMMG w/out FA.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 1:20:57 PM EDT
[#33]
I've decided to build a 6.5 creedmoor on an M5 receiver set.  Can someone help double check parts compatibility and answer a couple questions?

My parts list so far:
M5 receiver set
Criterion DPMS pattern 6.5 creedmoor 18" hybrid barrel
JP high pressure bolt (headspaced by Criterion)
SLR Sentry 7 clamp-on adjustable gas block
SLR 308H 15" Solo rail

I'm going to use an Aero LPK and buffer+tube.  These receivers will accept AR15 grips, stocks, and triggers right?

Will the above components work together?  The varying standards for AR10 parts has me a little confused.

It looks like the JP bolt does not come with a bolt carrier, can anyone confirm that is the case?  If so, who makes a decent bolt carrier.  I'd rather not spend JP rifles money on the carrier alone.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 1:36:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I've decided to build a 6.5 creedmoor on an M5 receiver set.  Can someone help double check parts compatibility and answer a couple questions?

My parts list so far:
M5 receiver set
Criterion DPMS pattern 6.5 creedmoor 18" hybrid barrel
JP high pressure bolt (headspaced by Criterion)
SLR Sentry 7 clamp-on adjustable gas block
SLR 308H 15" Solo rail

I'm going to use an Aero LPK and buffer+tube.  These receivers will accept AR15 grips, stocks, and triggers right?

Will the above components work together?  The varying standards for AR10 parts has me a little confused.

It looks like the JP bolt does not come with a bolt carrier, can anyone confirm that is the case?  If so, who makes a decent bolt carrier.  I'd rather not spend JP rifles money on the carrier alone.
View Quote

That's basically what I have except I have an Aero BCG and Aero rail, oh and I have the set screw AGB not clamp on.  Yes it'll take standard AR15 parts for things like grips, stocks, triggers.  I have a Geissele SSA-E, Magpul MOE grip, PRS stock.

Link Posted: 7/29/2020 3:28:07 PM EDT
[#35]
106204512_3296510210360999_7698573610710055835_o (1) by Martin Unrue, on Flickr

My Aero 308, 12." barrel, ALG trigger. Will be be getting a low power scope for it in the near future.
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 4:04:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Howdy gents, I'm in the process of finalizing an M5 build and I would like some opinions and or concerns about the following parts for my upper.  Thanks in advance!!

Aero FDE M5 Upper (not the enhanced one)

Wilson Combat Recon Tactical 16" 1-11.25 twist Match Grade Stainless Barrel

Wilson Combat Intermediate Length gas tube

BCM Gunfighter Compensator Mod 1

SLR Rifleworks Sentry 7 Set Screw adjustable gas block

Geissele 7.62 Super Charging Handle

Aero Precision M5 15" Enhanced M-LOK Handguard, Gen 2

I have yet to purchase a BCG and I'd also appreciate some suggestions on that as well...
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 6:08:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Are the M118 Pmags causing issues? I've seen a few reports that they don't drop free from the M5.

Do these things run on steel case? I'm probably going to use a BA 16" barrel but might go with a chromed Criterion. Not sure.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 1:29:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Howdy gents, I'm in the process of finalizing an M5 build and I would like some opinions and or concerns about the following parts for my upper.  Thanks in advance!!

Aero FDE M5 Upper (not the enhanced one)

Wilson Combat Recon Tactical 16" 1-11.25 twist Match Grade Stainless Barrel

Wilson Combat Intermediate Length gas tube

BCM Gunfighter Compensator Mod 1

SLR Rifleworks Sentry 7 Set Screw adjustable gas block

Geissele 7.62 Super Charging Handle

Aero Precision M5 15" Enhanced M-LOK Handguard, Gen 2

I have yet to purchase a BCG and I'd also appreciate some suggestions on that as well...
View Quote

I'm curious-- why use the enhanced handguard with a non-enhanced upper? It would be far easier to assemble with the M5E upper, and more solid.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 5:31:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I'm curious-- why use the enhanced handguard with a non-enhanced upper? It would be far easier to assemble with the M5E upper, and more solid.
View Quote

Hmm, I failed to consider matching up an enhanced rail to a non-enhanced upper?  I bought the Aero/DPMS barrel nut so I assumed they are compatible. Anyone know?
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 3:43:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Hmm, I failed to consider matching up an enhanced rail to a non-enhanced upper?  I bought the Aero/DPMS barrel nut so I assumed they are compatible. Anyone know?
View Quote

You need a BAR barrel nut if you bought the threaded upper.
https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/m5e1-handguard-barrel-nut

Where as the M5E1 has the BAR barrel nut integrated into the receiver so the enhanced handguard bolts right on.
https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/m5e1-enhanced-upper-receiver
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 5:51:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Where as the M5E1 has the BAR barrel nut integrated into the receiver so the enhanced handguard bolts right on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah. You can use the enhanced rail with a regular threaded upper, but you have to use that barrel nut and time it for it to fit properly. With the enhanced upper it will screw right on.

If you think you might change handguards at some point then the threaded upper could make sense.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 2:56:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

https://i.ibb.co/MGDb4TZ/M5-3-1.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/qk6gWQ4/M5-2-3.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/GJHb4Dd/M5-1-1.jpg

View Quote

@Mister_H

Could you measure the length of the lugs and the bolt face depth of both bolts?  

I had to order a criterion 6.5 creedmoor Barrel from optics planet because criterion was sold out. I already have an Aero BCG I can use and they don’t sell Fulton bolts. I’d like to use the bolt I already have, but if your Aero dimensions match mine, then I’ll order a Fulton or JP bolt.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 7:15:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

@Mister_H

Could you measure the length of the lugs and the bolt face depth of both bolts?  

I had to order a criterion 6.5 creedmoor Barrel from optics planet because criterion was sold out. I already have an Aero BCG I can use and they don’t sell Fulton bolts. I’d like to use the bolt I already have, but if your Aero dimensions match mine, then I’ll order a Fulton or JP bolt.
View Quote

I sold the Aero bolt and carrier, but I can check the Fulton.

You might have to remind me, I’m going to be traveling for a month or so.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 6:14:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I sold the Aero bolt and carrier, but I can check the Fulton.

You might have to remind me, I’m going to be traveling for a month or so.
View Quote

I measured the two aero bolts I have:

2020 mfg bolt - Lug legnth: 0.310"    Bolt face depth: 0.125"  Net: 0.185"

2015 mfg bolt - Lug length: 0.307"  Bolt face depth: 0.126"  Net: 0.181"

Looking on the internet (take it for what it's worth), it has been said that JP and KAK both call out a 0.186" +/-1" for the net dimension.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 10:43:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Aero BCG - Black Nitride
Aero Stripped M5 Lower
Aero LPK
Larue MBT-2S Trigger
Magpul STR Stock
Magpul MOE+ Grip

View Quote

Quick update, I got to take this to the range today. The rifle ran flawlessly with some cheapo 150ish gr (just to get on paper) and then 168gr Federal GMM, though the compensator is a bit....much lol. I had a divider right next to me which was making me feel the pressure coming from it quite a bit. Just happy it didn't have cycling problems though. I love it! Accuracy.....let's just say I have some fundamentals to work on before I go pointing fingers.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 8:46:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quick update, I got to take this to the range today. The rifle ran flawlessly with some cheapo 150ish gr (just to get on paper) and then 168gr Federal GMM, though the compensator is a bit....much lol. I had a divider right next to me which was making me feel the pressure coming from it quite a bit. Just happy it didn't have cycling problems though. I love it! Accuracy.....let's just say I have some fundamentals to work on before I go pointing fingers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aero BCG - Black Nitride
Aero Stripped M5 Lower
Aero LPK
Larue MBT-2S Trigger
Magpul STR Stock
Magpul MOE+ Grip

Link Posted: 8/15/2020 9:25:45 AM EDT
[#47]
I'm trying to figure out if I want a 14.5" 6.5, kind of like a M110K1 type setup to go along with my 18".  I don't own any .308s so I don't want to add another caliber to my stable
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 5:02:17 PM EDT
[#48]
This may have already been asked and answered in this thread, but what are people using to assemble their uppers? Looking hard had the Midwest upper rod, but saw a few positive things about the plastix blocks.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 8:30:40 PM EDT
[#49]
The midwest URR was out of stock so i just used the brownells action rod.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 3:56:29 PM EDT
[#50]
I've been happy with the Plastix blocks.
Page / 82
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top