Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 82
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 7:11:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hi all,  i have an Aero M5 build,
it is taking longer due to the current situation with parts.

I have M5 upper receiver and BCG, M5 Lower and LPK and Carbine buffer.
and the following.
a fancy straight drop in trigger
a kriss stock
a generic 4140 cromo 18" barrel, w/gi muzzle
a nice mid length gas tube.

it is all together loosly, save for the gas system.
Due to my naivety and impulsiveness,  I bought a generic 13" mlock hand guard from CDNN,  it is supposedly for 308,
but the top of the rail,  is lower than the rail on the receiver,  by about (2 credit cards)  -  don't laugh, i'm too lazy to go into the garage to get my digital caliper.

I suppose i could reuse this on some other ar 15 build in the future,  but I expect I will use it in the interim, to replaced eventually.

Besides buying directly from Aero,  what do I look for,  so I don't make this mistake next time in getting the rail height to match?

(this brings up two add'l questions,  (is there enough adjustability in raising the front MBIS, (or lowering the rear) with canted rails, or should i just cant a simple red dot off to the side? and ignore the front? while I use this misfit one?

the adjustable gas block  is in the mail, and then I'll get everything torqued down.

Next ,  I'm looking at scope mounts next.  I hope to use it to shoot pigs, when I get to Texas, so I was thinking of the
vector hog hunter 3x12 as a starting place for inexpensive glass.

thanks much in advance for your considered comments.

View Quote

There are a few dimension standards in the AR-10 world. DPMS made two, low profile and high profile receivers. The Aero M5 is a high profile dimensioned receiver. This means the height from the opening of the charging handle to the top of the receiver is 3/16". A low profile receiver is 1/8". This dimension also defines how tall the receiver is above the barrel, and thus the needed height of the handguard.

It sounds like your handguard is for a low profile receiver. I don't know enough to say whether the rest of the dimensions will work/are safe. I will say it would bother me to have a mismatched handguard and receiver. It would certainly complicate iron sights.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 9:47:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hi all,  i have an Aero M5 build,
it is taking longer due to the current situation with parts.

I have M5 upper receiver and BCG, M5 Lower and LPK and Carbine buffer.
and the following.
a fancy straight drop in trigger
a kriss stock
a generic 4140 cromo 18" barrel, w/gi muzzle
a nice mid length gas tube.

it is all together loosly, save for the gas system.
Due to my naivety and impulsiveness,  I bought a generic 13" mlock hand guard from CDNN,  it is supposedly for 308,
but the top of the rail,  is lower than the rail on the receiver,  by about (2 credit cards)  -  don't laugh, i'm too lazy to go into the garage to get my digital caliper.

I suppose i could reuse this on some other ar 15 build in the future,  but I expect I will use it in the interim, to replaced eventually.

Besides buying directly from Aero,  what do I look for,  so I don't make this mistake next time in getting the rail height to match?

(this brings up two add'l questions,  (is there enough adjustability in raising the front MBIS, (or lowering the rear) with canted rails, or should i just cant a simple red dot off to the side? and ignore the front? while I use this misfit one?

the adjustable gas block  is in the mail, and then I'll get everything torqued down.

Next ,  I'm looking at scope mounts next.  I hope to use it to shoot pigs, when I get to Texas, so I was thinking of the
vector hog hunter 3x12 as a starting place for inexpensive glass.

thanks much in advance for your considered comments.

View Quote

In regards to the handguard rail height, this is fairly common knowledge in the large frame game. This is not meant as an insult, there are a lot of details to learn about before building a large frame when it comes to compatibility. The profile you're looking for to match the Aero is called "DPMS high". My favorite is the Aero Atlas S-One, but like most everything else these days, they have been long out of stock. There are other DPMS high handguards, but finding one that you like and in stock is another story. You also need to be aware of the differences between the Armalite AR-10 platform and the DPMS 308 platform, in addition to numerous other 308 platforms that cannot share certain parts. When it comes to the handguard you purchased, it will not be compatible with any AR15. I would suggest that you find and backorder the correct handguard that you like. Until then, I would either return it or run with what you bought as a temporary. If you need to have a front sight until then, they make replacement taller front sight posts to swap out into your front MBUS. If the receiver to rail height difference bothers you, try a snap on rail cover. Good luck!
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 4:27:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

What caliber and whats your current setup?? I'm down to needing a gas block and buffer kit for mine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Had mine out this weekend to try and tune the gas system with no luck.  Still a few more things to try to get running 100%

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/214520/20210109_121906-1774684.jpg

What caliber and whats your current setup?? I'm down to needing a gas block and buffer kit for mine.

From my experience with my M5E1 with a Ballistic Advantage Premium 16" 308 barrel, Superlative Arms adjustable gas block and Kaw Valley 5.6oz buffer, while the rifle functions flawlessly, I have had no luck tuning it for a more gentle cycle and felt recoil. Doesn't surprise me with the 16 inch barrel. I would probably have had more luck using an 18. I am going to try using a Black River Tactical EZTUNE tube to see if that helps at all.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 5:02:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
From my experience with my M5E1 with a Ballistic Advantage Premium 16" 308 barrel, Superlative Arms adjustable gas block and Kaw Valley 5.6oz buffer, while the rifle functions flawlessly, I have had no luck tuning it for a more gentle cycle and felt recoil. Doesn't surprise me with the 16 inch barrel. I would probably have had more luck using an 18. I am going to try using a Black River Tactical EZTUNE tube to see if that helps at all.
View Quote

IMHO, I don't think the BRT gas tube is going to do anything more that your SA adj GB can't do already.  save your money.

You're right, in my experience, my 14.5" 308's are much less "gentle" than my 20" 308's.  all of them with adj GB's BTW and muzzle brakes.

if you don't have a muzzle brake, that would help a felt recoil and muzzle rise a lot.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 5:30:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

IMHO, I don't think the BRT gas tube is going to do anything more that your SA adj GB can't do already.  save your money.

You're right, in my experience, my 14.5" 308's are much less "gentle" than my 20" 308's.  all of them with adj GB's BTW.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right, in my experience, my 14.5" 308's are much less "gentle" than my 20" 308's.  all of them with adj GB's BTW.

My plan was to piggy back the Superlative and the EZtune to see if there was any successful reduction of felt recoil. I guess I could try an enhanced spring first to see if that helps (might be cheaper too).
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 5:05:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Wouldn't you want less reciprocating mass (lighter buffer) if you're trying to limit felt recoil?
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 4:01:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I’d skip the brt tube in that instance.A suppressor would help..

Could try a little more buffer, different spring.

What buffer tube? Std ar15 and shorty 308 buffer or a5/armaspec 308 length?

Link Posted: 2/9/2021 1:09:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Bought 2 more uppers from SpiceTac.  One will be built into a 16" .308 DMR.  No plans for the 2nd one yet but I had a lower that needed an upper
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 3:53:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 4:59:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I now have M5 upper and lower.

Want a 16” barrel (hard to find)

Is an Aero “enhanced” M5 Carbine buffer kit necessary?
View Quote

No not necessary
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 5:58:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I now have M5 upper and lower.

Want a 16” barrel (hard to find)

Is an Aero “enhanced” M5 Carbine buffer kit necessary?
View Quote

.308?

Criterion has ADM barrels in stock

Wilson Combat

Rainier Arms

Wyndham Weaponry
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 12:20:31 AM EDT
[#12]

Speaking of Wilson Combat barrels, has anyone had any luck with their product? I grabbed one of the closeout Recon Tactical barrels that were mentioned in this thread. Had to remove my muzzle device after assembly and the barrel unscrewed from the extension. Couldn't have been torqued properly but lesson learned, clamp the barrel. Replaced with the current version. Replacement barrel chamber was so nasty with voids that cases were grabbing so tight that the rims were getting ripped off. Second replacement has developed a burr on the chamber mouth that's scraping brass and causing FTFeed. I'm tired of returning barrels to them. Am I just getting all of their lemons?

Rant:
With the first replacement they failed to let me know that the replacement required a kinda proprietary intermediate length gas tube, unlike the closeout barrel that was mid-gas, which I would have been happy to buy from them at the time so as to avoid paying shipping for a small item. Waited for free shipping from Brownells which also gave me time to figure out that their intermediate gas tube is the same length as the KAC SR15, got a spare for that now.
Also stuck with a handguard that ends 2 inches behind the gas block.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 3:32:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I have one of the closeout wilson combat 14.5 pinned. No issues for me I did just order a gas tube that is a bit longer than an ar15 middy with I had been running. It is an LBE 308 mid length so it should extend a bit further into the upper. I have only shot it suppressed with the shorter tube so i wanted a longer one for all shooting. I am on the waiting list for a proper armalite tube but this one was approx the same length.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 9:22:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Anyone have experience with the Troy 308 rails?  I'm looking for alternatives to the URX4 and the Aero rail that are all MLOK.  If I have to go URX4 then I will but just seeing what other options I have

https://www.troyind.com/products/m-lok-308-hp-aluminum-15-blk
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 1:02:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Anyone have experience with the Troy 308 rails?  I'm looking for alternatives to the URX4 and the Aero rail that are all MLOK.  If I have to go URX4 then I will but just seeing what other options I have

View Quote

SLR Rifleworks has some really good options.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 4:25:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always liked the Centurion options too. I went with a Midwest Industries Combat, as the Centurion was OOS. I like the Midwest too.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 5:41:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I always liked the Centurion options too. I went with a Midwest Industries Combat, as the Centurion was OOS. I like the Midwest too.
View Quote

And the MI combat rail is ~$100 cheaper than the Troy.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 10:35:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have Samson’s lightweight 18” handguard and it’s excellent! Great price, too. Shipped quickly. Highly recommend!
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:01:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's what I'd recommend if they have what you're looking for in stock
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:10:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:27:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Attachment Attached File

Aero M5 upper/lower/bolt assy
Magpul MOE SL-S stock, MOE grip, sling and mag
BA 16" .308 1-10" bbl w/Phantom FH
Trijicon Credo 1-6x w/Aero mount
MI MLOK hand guard

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:15:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 9:54:12 AM EDT
[#23]
I finally finished my first AR10 build.

1. Areo complete lower assembly
2. Areo stripped upper receiver
3. Areo charging handle
4. Areo adjustable gas block
5. Areo dust port cover
6. Areo forward assist
7. Magpul SL-S stock
8. Magpul pistol grip
9. Magpul front sight
10. Magpul rear sight
11. Magpul 25rd mag
12. AAC 51T flash hider
13. Arms Republic .308/7.62 Bolt Carrier Group (BCG) - Nitride
14. SLR 308H ION 13.7" Lite Handguard
15. Ballistic Advantage Modern Series 16" .308 Win, Government Contour, 1:10 twist, Nitride
16. Radical Firearms Mid length gas tube

Link Posted: 3/1/2021 9:56:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I finally finished my first AR10 build.
https://i.ibb.co/DMMWMFF/912-B4248-9705-4-ADA-BDFD-FAB9-C2-AE3019.jpg
1. Areo complete lower assembly
2. Areo stripped upper receiver
3. Areo charging handle
4. Areo adjustable gas block
5. Areo dust port cover
6. Areo forward assist
7. Magpul SL-S stock
8. Magpul pistol grip
9. Magpul front sight
10. Magpul rear sight
11. Magpul 25rd mag
12. AAC 51T flash hider
13. Arms Republic .308/7.62 Bolt Carrier Group (BCG) - Nitride
14. SLR 308H ION 13.7" Lite Handguard
15. Ballistic Advantage Modern Series 16" .308 Win, Government Contour, 1:10 twist, Nitride
16. Radical Firearms Mid length gas tube

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:26:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Got the red box huh? Weird since I can see it... But let's try a different hosting site...
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 1:33:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Got the red box huh? Weird since I can see it... But let's try a different hosting site...
View Quote

Works now
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 7:04:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Finally got my 6.5 Creedmoor together. Couldn't get the bolt to lock back without opening the gas block a ton. Threw the suppressor on it, and locked open fine. 50 yard group had 140gr ELD-Xs going through the same hole. Can't wait to stretch it's legs.

Link Posted: 3/10/2021 3:21:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Finally got a URX4 that was in stock! 2 left at Operation Parts
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 1:00:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Do I want to swap out my 20” Faxon Gunner 6.5 Creedmoor barrel for one of their 24” heavy fluted barrels? As it currently sits, my M5 build is heavy with the PRS stock and the longer barrel will add about 1/4lb to the rifle.

I originally thought that it would make a good backup deer/elk gun, but the weight with the Gunner profile barrel is more than I want to pack compared to other options that I have in harder hitting calibers.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 2:09:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Started down the M5 road yesterday.

Brownells had the black complete barrelless uppers back in stock, and they had just added the black complete stockless MOE lower.  Figured why not, I wanted the FDE receivers but I haven't seen them in a while.  Can always paint it later.

Need to spread the cost out a bit, but my current thinking is finish the lower with a SOPMOD stock, and do a BA 16" Gov/Modern barrel, Midwest 15" Combat Rail, Aero nitride BCG, and either the Aero or SLR adjustable gas block for the upper.  Not going for a precision setup, but if the trigger sucks I'll swap it for a Larue MBT.  Dunno what their standard trigger is like; "mil-spec" triggers vary so wildly in quality.

My very first SBR was built on an Aero Precision lower, fun to be back.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 2:19:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 8:51:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Here's where I am, now...

1) M5 upper and lower

2) BA 16" barrel

3) Just ordered a 12.5" Apex Gatorgrip Handguard

Definitely going to acquire a .308 TA11 LED w/Green Horsehoe

Definitely going to acquire an Aero m5 bolt carrier (keeping it in the family)

Decisions...

1) I have an extra UBR and B5 stock.  It will be one or the other.

2) Must choose an adjustable gas block (?)

3) Must choose a Flash Hider.  I prefer pronged.
View Quote

1) I have MOE-SL on mine, so of your 2 choices I’d go B5

2) Superlative and SLR are the 2 I’ve used, I like the Superlative and have 3 of them. I have an Aero AGB on the way to try out, they’re $20-40 cheaper than the aforementioned options

3) Wilson Combat AccuTac FH

Link Posted: 3/12/2021 8:27:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 9:17:33 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm just waiting for stuff to come back in stock.  16" Criterion barrel, SLR agb, SiCo ASR flash hider, and that's about it.  Still debating on the optic but I think I might get a 3.6-18 MK5HD.  I want something nicer than my Vortex PST Gen IIs that I have on other guns.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 8:38:08 PM EDT
[#35]
New build ran flawlessly with PPU 168 HPBT match:

M5 receiver set
Noveske 18” heavy profile mid-length
Armalite BCG
LaRue 2-stage MBT-2S
DD 7.62 Lite 12.0
PRI gas buster charging handle
Smith Vortex flash hider
Expo Arm 5.3oz heavy carbine buffer
NF 2.5-10x24 w/ NF unimount

Link Posted: 3/14/2021 12:59:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/430/IMG_8443_jpg-1844369.JPG

MI MLOK hand guard

View Quote

How do you like the 1-6 credo? Which reticle is it?
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 1:31:42 PM EDT
[#37]
My 2nd M5 build and what I have so far.  It will be a 16" .308

Link Posted: 3/16/2021 11:03:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
My 2nd M5 build and what I have so far.  It will be a 16" .308

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/214520/20210315_132725-1866620.jpg
View Quote

Now I've ordered the stock and KAK heavy carbine buffer.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 12:11:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

308 Builds are "special!"
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 12:49:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah now all I'm waiting for is the barrel and gas block to come back in stock
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 9:19:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Do I want to swap out my 20” Faxon Gunner 6.5 Creedmoor barrel for one of their 24” heavy fluted barrels? As it currently sits, my M5 build is heavy with the PRS stock and the longer barrel will add about 1/4lb to the rifle.

I originally thought that it would make a good backup deer/elk gun, but the weight with the Gunner profile barrel is more than I want to pack compared to other options that I have in harder hitting calibers.
View Quote

24" is really long. Especially if you are suppressing it. Lugging that much gun through the woods or over fences is a pain.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 10:50:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Started down the M5 road yesterday.

Brownells had the black complete barrelless uppers back in stock, and they had just added the black complete stockless MOE lower.  Figured why not, I wanted the FDE receivers but I haven't seen them in a while.  Can always paint it later.

Need to spread the cost out a bit, but my current thinking is finish the lower with a SOPMOD stock, and do a BA 16" Gov/Modern barrel, Midwest 15" Combat Rail, Aero nitride BCG, and either the Aero or SLR adjustable gas block for the upper.  Not going for a precision setup, but if the trigger sucks I'll swap it for a Larue MBT.  Dunno what their standard trigger is like; "mil-spec" triggers vary so wildly in quality.

My very first SBR was built on an Aero Precision lower, fun to be back.
View Quote

Unimpressed with the standard trigger but that's an easy fix.  The missing front half will be trickier.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 12:55:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Finally have this completed after a 4 month wait for the BCG. Can't wait to get it out to zero after verifying headspace.

Link Posted: 3/21/2021 2:41:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 9:45:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Attachment Attached File

My first 308 build:

M5 builder set
BA 16" tac gov
Superlative AGB
Toolcraft nitride BCG
Phase 5 CH
Larue MBT-2S
Radian Talon ambi
Armaspec SRS
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 12:14:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Changed up some things.  Was having severe bolt lug peening issues, which after a bunch of trouble shooting and 3 destroyed bolts, forced me to swap to a new barrel/BCG.

Went from the 16” Criterion to an 18” Lilja (actually 17.3” ish).  Swapped out the 4-16x ATACR to an NX8.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 12:58:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Ok gents, I could use ya'lls collective expertise here.  I'm having some trouble with my Aero M5 build.  I've put about 60 rounds through and immediately had double feeds.  After playing with the gas block, it seems that issue may have been

corrected.  The bolt will not reliably lock back to the rear on the last round.  The problem seems to be worse when I used some first generation 308 PMags.  I am now using the current generation LR/SR 20 round PMags.  The ammunition was a mix of

ZQI and Lake City M80 both in 147gr I believe.  Pretty frustrated at the moment as I used this very thread to source my parts to avoid these issues entirely.  Any suggestions are appreciated.  Thanks guys.  Build parts below:

Aero M5 Upper/Lower in FDE

Aero M5 Enhanced M-LOK 15" handguard

Wilson Combat Recon tactical match grade barrel, stainless 16", 1-11.25 twist

SLR Sentry 7 adjustable gas block

Wilson Combat intermediate length gas tube

Bravo Company Compensator Mod 1

Lantac Enhanced BCG

Aero LPK

Larue MBT-2S Straight Bow Trigger

Geissele Carbine Length buffer tube

Heavy Buffers 308 CAR buffer (5.5 ounce) and spring
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 1:07:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Ok gents, I could use ya'lls collective expertise here.  I'm having some trouble with my Aero M5 build.  I've put about 60 rounds through and immediately had double feeds.  After playing with the gas block, it seems that issue may have been

corrected.  The bolt will not reliably lock back to the rear on the last round.  The problem seems to be worse when I used some first generation 308 PMags.  I am now using the current generation LR/SR 20 round PMags.  The ammunition was a mix of

ZQI and Lake City M80 both in 147gr I believe.  Pretty frustrated at the moment as I used this very thread to source my parts to avoid these issues entirely.  Any suggestions are appreciated.  Thanks guys.  Build parts below:

Aero M5 Upper/Lower in FDE

Aero M5 Enhanced M-LOK 15" handguard

Wilson Combat Recon tactical match grade barrel, stainless 16", 1-11.25 twist

Wilson Combat intermediate length gas tube

Bravo Company Compensator Mod 1

Lantac Enhanced BCG

Aero LPK

Larue MBT-2S Straight Bow Trigger

Geissele Carbine Length buffer tube

Heavy Buffers 308 CAR buffer and spring
View Quote

What weight is your buffer?
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 1:08:12 PM EDT
[#49]
I just edited my post to add the buffer weight. Its the 5.5 ounce version...

ETA - I have to hit the rack here in a bit so I can work tonight. I’ll be back around later this evening
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 1:39:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/430/IMG_8443_jpg-1844369.JPG

MI MLOK hand guard

View Quote

What length handguard is that?
Thanks
Page / 82
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top