BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 82
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 2:01:00 PM EDT
[#1]
An SLR dimple jig is a good cheap investment.  I usually just dimple one spot, under the gas port, but if you're sure that you'll never change gas block sizes, go ahead and dimple both.
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 7:50:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
you do need to use the Aero M5 pivot, takedown pins.  They are proprietary.  Even the DPMS LR-308 pivot, takedown pins are a tad short for the Aero M5 application.

for the mag release, you have essentially 2 choices:
- use the AR-15 std mag release with the tall Aero M5 mag release button, or
- use the LR-308 mag catch (it has a longer threaded stud) with a regular AR-15 mag release button.

as mentioned above, KAK Industries sells a version of the LR-308 mag catch, otherwise the original DPMS LR-308 mag catches are impossible to find, especially post-bankruptcy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is there a way to search a specific thread like this one for specific questions?

I have some questions about two BA/ Aero AR10 builds below.  I have the items below currently.

(2) sets of BA/ Aero stripped lowers.
(1) BA/Aero upper
BA 12.5in 308 barrel
BA 16in 308 barrel
(2) Rubber City Armory BCG’s.
One adjustable SLR GB.

I won’t need an adjustable GB with the 16in barrel?
I will need an adjustable GB with the 12.5 or can I tune it with the buffer and spring?  Both rifles will be using the A5 buffer system.
Do I have to use the Aero pivot and take down pins or can I use the KNS pins?
I will need an extended or longer than normal magazine release button?
I know 308’s can break bolt catches.  Is there one that everyone has better luck with?
Does anyone know if the FCD 7.62 large top paddle bolt catch will work with the Aero upper?
The 16in rifle will most likely get an Aero handguard.
I’m wanting to use a Centurion HG with the 12.5.  Any issues running a Centurion HG on an Aero upper?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.  I have put off putting together an AR10 for too long and would like to finish these up soon.
you do need to use the Aero M5 pivot, takedown pins.  They are proprietary.  Even the DPMS LR-308 pivot, takedown pins are a tad short for the Aero M5 application.

for the mag release, you have essentially 2 choices:
- use the AR-15 std mag release with the tall Aero M5 mag release button, or
- use the LR-308 mag catch (it has a longer threaded stud) with a regular AR-15 mag release button.

as mentioned above, KAK Industries sells a version of the LR-308 mag catch, otherwise the original DPMS LR-308 mag catches are impossible to find, especially post-bankruptcy.

I used a armalite extended mag catch, works great.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 5:31:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Got all of my parts for my very first .308 gun. Need to assemble it properly but I threw everything together for a photo op. One curious thing is that the rear lug of the upper BARELY slides into the recess of the lower. It's seriously the tightest receiver set I've ever encountered, but I don't think it was meant to be. Does anybody else have to practically force their upper and lower closed while attached only by the front takedown/pivot pin? This is without the tension screw even coming into play. I might take a fine diamond file and remove material from the inside of the lower or rear lug of the upper.

The parts of note are:

BA 16" barrel
Burris RT6 1-6x LPVO scope
Brownell's nitride BCG
Superlative Arms adjustable gas block
YHM brake to mount my R9 when I finally get it (which is why I opted for a shorter barrel at 16")

It's got an Aero handguard that I got off of the EE, but I might swap it later for a CMT or SLR handguard.

Edit: Aero had complete blem M5E1 uppers on sale so I grabbed one to swap out the M5 upper with. It just made sense to me as I already have the handguard and it provides a rock solid mount that should increase accuracy. I know that locks me in with the Aero handguard, but it's pretty nice and I'll just hang on to the M5 upper in case I ever want to swap it. Going to wait for it to arrive before I torque down the barrel properly. I see they now have M4E1 uppers without the forward assist. I wish they would make M5 uppers without them. I just don't see them as necessary.

Link Posted: 9/9/2021 3:20:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Kind of. The Aero has a higher receiver height than the URX4 rail by about 1/16-1/8".

It's noticeable if you look for it.
View Quote

You must be talking about the small frame SR15 URX4 because the SR25 version fits perfectly.

Link Posted: 9/9/2021 3:26:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Got all of my parts for my very first .308 gun. Need to assemble it properly but I threw everything together for a photo op. One curious thing is that the rear lug of the upper BARELY slides into the recess of the lower. It's seriously the tightest receiver set I've ever encountered, but I don't think it was meant to be. Does anybody else have to practically force their upper and lower closed while attached only by the front takedown/pivot pin? This is without the tension screw even coming into play. I might take a fine diamond file and remove material from the inside of the lower or rear lug of the upper.

The parts of note are:

BA 16" barrel
Brownell's nitride BCG
YHM brake to mount my R9 when I finally get it (which is why I opted for a shorter barrel at 16")

It's got an Aero handguard that I got off of the EE, but I might swap it later for a CMT or SLR handguard.

Edit: Aero had complete blem M5E1 uppers on sale so I grabbed one to swap out the M5 upper with. It just made sense to me as I already have the handguard and it provides a rock solid mount that should increase accuracy. I know that locks me in with the Aero handguard, but it's pretty nice and I'll just hang on to the M5 upper in case I ever want to swap it. Going to wait for it to arrive before I torque down the barrel properly. I see they now have M4E1 uppers without the forward assist. I wish they would make M5 uppers without them. I just don't see them as necessary.

https://i.imgur.com/HpVnXGK.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/t7qZyGp.jpg
View Quote

Honestly man, I'd just send it as-is.

The tighter the better.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 12:46:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Can anyone confirm yes or not that the Forward Controls 7.62 bolt catch works on the Aero M5 upper?  

I ask because the FCD bolt catch has the wide top paddle and the Aero M5 upper has only a small GI type bolt catch cut out.  With that said, the FCD part has a forward can’t and may not need to use that cut out area.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 12:50:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The tighter the better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The parts of note are:

BA 16" barrel
Brownell's nitride BCG

https://i.imgur.com/HpVnXGK.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/t7qZyGp.jpg

The tighter the better.
I know a tight fit will probably help accuracy but I seriously have to pop both pins and pry apart the upper and lower to separate them. It's simply not possible to hinge the upper open from the lower.

Edit: I installed the M5E1 upper that came in today and it fits normally. Weird thing is both of the M5 uppers I tried with the lower had the previously aforementioned tight fit, so I assumed the lower was the issue. I guess it was a batch of uppers where the the tolerances/clearances of the rear lug were on the opposite side of spectrum from the lower for acceptability. Who knows.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 9:07:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Alright so I'm now trying to figure out my bipod options.  I currently run a Harris with a MLOK bipod adapter.  Is there something that is more easily taken on and off?  I have a 16" .308 that I'm about to start function testing and plan to use it as a DMR type rifle, so I think the idea of leaving the bipod off for most of the time would be beneficial to lugging the rifle around.  Maybe I should just leave it on?  Attaching a pic of my 18" 6.5CM for reference

Link Posted: 9/10/2021 11:23:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Alright so I'm now trying to figure out my bipod options.  I currently run a Harris with a MLOK bipod adapter.  Is there something that is more easily taken on and off?  I have a 16" .308 that I'm about to start function testing and plan to use it as a DMR type rifle, so I think the idea of leaving the bipod off for most of the time would be beneficial to lugging the rifle around.  Maybe I should just leave it on?  Attaching a pic of my 18" 6.5CM for reference

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/214520/20210905_134635-2079201.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/214520/20210905_134822-2079202.jpg
View Quote

If you’re going to stick with the Harris bipod, Kinetic Development Group makes a QD/Mlok adapter for Harris bipods

https://kineticdg.com/product/kinectmlok-harris-bipod-mount/

ETA read the disclaimers at the bottom of the page
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 12:26:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Can anyone confirm yes or not that the Forward Controls 7.62 bolt catch works on the Aero M5 upper?  

I ask because the FCD bolt catch has the wide top paddle and the Aero M5 upper has only a small GI type bolt catch cut out.  With that said, the FCD part has a forward can’t and may not need to use that cut out area.
View Quote

I believe the owner is active here. I see him in the glock plate section. I am a big fan of his products. You could could message him and he would let you know. I might go ahead and do that. Big fan of FCD. I use there plate on my MOS glock and just ordered one of their muzzle device for a rifle I don't feel like suppressing. @Duffy. Not sure if I did that right.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:12:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I believe the owner is active here. I see him in the glock plate section. I am a big fan of his products. You could could message him and he would let you know. I might go ahead and do that. Big fan of FCD. I use there plate on my MOS glock and just ordered one of their muzzle device for a rifle I don't feel like suppressing. @Duffy. Not sure if I did that right.
View Quote

@jglock53
it's already been asked, and answered.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Forward-Control-Design-Bolt-Catch-or-/4-764338/?r=8320857&page=2&anc=8320857#i8320857
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 3:28:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Are there any running the Vltor A5 RE and buffer?  If you are and it’s a 16in barrel, what spring and buffer weight are you running?
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 5:56:39 AM EDT
[#13]
All AERO except

Vortex scope
Nomad L
Superlative GB
Trigger
Safety
Furniture

Runs great and loves Gorilla 175's but haven't shot anything but Tula since ammo prices went crazy.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 5:18:36 PM EDT
[#14]
12.5" pistol  Had to chop the M5E1 handguard because I guess Aero no longer makes short ones?

Link Posted: 9/19/2021 4:15:26 PM EDT
[#15]
16" upper assembled finally.  26 weeks left on my optic lead time

Link Posted: 9/19/2021 4:38:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 4:46:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What’s it gonna be?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
16" upper assembled finally.  26 weeks left on my optic lead time

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/214520/20210918_144632-2096004.jpg

What’s it gonna be?

4-16 ATACR w/ MIL-XT reticle, it'll also sport an offset T2.  Ordered it using their Mil/LE program so it's a bit of a wait.  Its fine, it'll probably take me a bit to get the gas functioning correctly so I have a Gen II PST I can use in the meantime
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 8:13:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Almost done with my build (or, at least I thought I was!) but a recent post on the AR10 subreddit has me thinking....

Aero M5 upper receiver
Faxon 18" Big Gunner 308 barrel
BA rifle length gas tube
BA 308 BCG
Aero adjustable gas block

Below is a pic of the gas tube as it sits in my receiver.  It seems a little short, no?  Wondering if I need the actual Armalite rifle length gas tube.

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

Link Posted: 9/19/2021 8:25:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Almost done with my build (or, at least I thought I was!) but a recent post on the AR10 subreddit has me thinking....

Aero M5 upper receiver
BA rifle length gas tube
BA 308 BCG

Below is a pic of the gas tube as it sits in my receiver.  It seems a little short, no?  Wondering if I need the actual Armalite rifle length gas tube.

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

https://i.imgur.com/ZPyetBq.png
View Quote

Check out this thread: Faxon 308 gas tube
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 1:59:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Check out this thread: Faxon 308 gas tube
View Quote

Thanks!

I went ahead and ordered the Armalite length tube, just in case.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 2:14:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Aero M5 upper receiver
BA rifle length gas tube
BA 308 BCG

Thanks in advance.

-Chris
View Quote

@droidgee
yeah, classic "needs the Armalite AR-10 gas tube" pic.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 5:51:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

@droidgee
yeah, classic "needs the Armalite AR-10 gas tube" pic.
View Quote

Funny thing is I did a quick search for AR10 vs AR15 gas tube before I ordered the first tube.  Didnt stumble on this until it was too late apparently!

Faxon support got back to me and said "it should work, but if it doesnt, order the longer Armalite tube".  Debating whether I want to swap out the gas tube before even trying to test fire the build.  Also will be interesting to see how good my "roll pin removing without destroying the nice adjustable gas block" skills are.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 4:43:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 4:06:02 PM EDT
[#24]
What buffer, RE and spring combos is everyone having the best luck with?

Not sure if I want to go standard length RE and short 308 buffer or Vltor A5 length and standard length carbine buffer.  I would prefer it to be softer shooter but reliability is a much bigger concern over soft shooting.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 5:06:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Not sure if I want to go standard length RE and short 308 buffer or Vltor A5 length and standard length carbine buffer.  I would prefer it to be softer shooter but reliability is a much bigger concern over soft shooting.
View Quote

The gurus at 308AR.com always recommend the Armalite RE/buffer kit. I already had the Aero M5 RE/buffer kit which failed miserably. I contacted Slash at Heavybuffers.com and he hooked me up with a 5.6 ounce carbine buffer and proprietary spring to go with it, my M5 has run like a champ ever since…
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 5:15:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

JP .308 H2 Silent Captured Spring System in a carbine length tube.  Works fine with both my 16" Faxon Big Gunner .308 and my 22" 6.5CM.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 7:20:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

if you want "softer shooter", be sure to include adj gas block, and an effective brake in your recipe.  5.3oz (or more) buffer if you're going with carbine type.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 4:39:42 PM EDT
[#28]
If anyone wants a 16" pencil barrel, Faxon has them in stock.  Snagged one....  

Faxon
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 4:50:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If anyone wants a 16" pencil barrel, Faxon has them in stock.  Snagged one....  

Faxon
View Quote

I still need a barrel for my build... I'm tempted... but probably should go with a slightly heavier profile.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 5:06:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I still need a barrel for my build... I'm tempted... but probably should go with a slightly heavier profile.
View Quote

I dont use mine much so I figured why not.  Should lighten up the heavy pig
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 5:15:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I decided on an 18" gunner.

Primary has them in stock.

Still tempted though. Lol.

I don't need to build TWO right now, ahaha.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 5:18:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Anyone interested in trading me a standard threaded upper for my M5E1 and 15" mlok?
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 1:40:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Off I go!  Picked up and M5 lower today. Time to start pulling the rest of it together.
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 8:26:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Off I go!  Picked up and M5 lower today. Time to start pulling the rest of it together.
View Quote

What's the plan?
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 8:36:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Glass showed up and my aero build is complete. All started when i bought a stripped upper receiver earlier this year.
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 2:15:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The gurus at 308AR.com always recommend the Armalite RE/buffer kit. I already had the Aero M5 RE/buffer kit which failed miserably. I contacted Slash at Heavybuffers.com and he hooked me up with a 5.6 ounce carbine buffer and proprietary spring to go with it, my M5 has run like a champ ever since…
View Quote

Hrmmm, I just bought the Aero M5 Rifle Buffer kit.  The buffer weighs in at 5.32oz.  Hoping I didn't spend money that I'll have to spend again.
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 2:47:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Hrmmm, I just bought the Aero M5 Rifle Buffer kit.  The buffer weighs in at 5.32oz.  Hoping I didn't spend money that I'll have to spend again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should be good with that buffer weight. The issues that come up are with the 3.8oz, 2.5" .308 carbine buffers. Many find that the ~5.5oz, 2.5" .308 buffers cycle better in a carbine length RE. The Armalite AR-10 uses a intermediate length RE, which takes a standard AR-15 length (3.25") H3 buffer (~5.4oz). For a rifle length action like yours, it's pretty rare to need a buffer weight heavier than the 5.3oz one you got. The common denominator seems to come down to mid 5oz buffers, no matter which length RE.
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 2:57:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You should be good with that buffer weight. The issues that come up are with the 3.8oz, 2.5" .308 carbine buffers. Many find that the ~5.5oz, 2.5" .308 buffers cycle better in a carbine length RE. The Armalite AR-10 uses a intermediate length RE, which takes a standard AR-15 length (3.25") H3 buffer (~5.4oz). For a rifle length action like yours, it's pretty rare to need a buffer weight heavier than the 5.3oz one you got. The common denominator seems to come down to mid 5oz buffers, no matter which length RE.
View Quote

Awesome, thanks for the feedback.  I was hoping that I'd be safe buying what Aero had labeled as M5 308.
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 5:21:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Almost done with my AP build. Just added the Reptilia AUS mount and the Sig Sauer Tango6T FFP/MRAD.

Link Posted: 10/31/2021 6:22:45 PM EDT
[#40]

Nice!  What rail are you running?
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 6:27:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

It looks like it’s an Aero enhanced rail.
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 6:49:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Quoted:

It looks like it's an Aero enhanced rail.
View Quote

Yep', it's the AP M5 "enhanced" Gen 2
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 8:56:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Put my faxon pencil barrel in.  So nice.
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 11:15:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

What's the plan?
View Quote

Nothing terribly exciting

Upper
- Aero M5 Upper
- 22" Aero 6.5 Creedmoor Barrel
- Aero BCG
- Surefire SOCOM Brake
- Aero R-One Rail (still deciding on this one)
- Superlative Arms Adjustable Gas Block
- Atlas Bipod
- Geissele Optics mount
- Optic (undecided)

Lower
- Aero M5 Lower
- Aero LPK minus FCG
- Aero M5 Rifle Buffer
- Magpul PRS stock
- Larue MBK 2s Trigger
- Battle Arms Development Ambi safety (these fit on the M5, correct?)

These M5 / AR10 builds are kind of interesting because you just don't have the options you typically have with the AR15.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 2:46:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Put my faxon pencil barrel in.  So nice.
View Quote

Really happy with my 16" Big Gunner.  I've got 5.56 AR's that have heavier barrels.  :)
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 11:04:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Just started my m5 build. Parts list so far:

Aero M5 FDE lower
Aero LPK
Aero Buffer Kit
LaRue MBT trigger

Going to wait until Black Friday to purchase an upper. Debating on either a 16” or 18” 308.

" />
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 2:37:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Don't forget to check ballistic advantage as a source for complete uppers or parts. They have some good sales. I received a .308 upper from them recently and they pin the gas block with I like.
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 9:31:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Just finished assembling my m5 lower. Added a FDe b5 grip and stock.

The lower parts kit bag had roll pin and 4-40 set screw left over. Is that normal? Not sure where the 4-40 screws is used. I assume the roll pin is used if you don’t want to use the threaded screw.

london photos free download
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 9:39:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Just finished assembling my m5 lower. Added a FDe b5 grip and stock.

The lower parts kit bag had roll pin and 4-40 set screw left over. Is that normal? Not sure where the 4-40 screws is used. I assume the roll pin is used if you don’t want to use the threaded screw.

https://i.ibb.co/LCKYjvd/83-FD3200-53-CF-4779-8503-7-C073-CDB5-EBE.jpg
london photos free download
View Quote

The roll pin is for lowers that don't use a threaded bolt catch screw. The 4-40 is for the takedown pin detent/spring, but it's up to you if you want to use it.
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 9:50:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The roll pin is for lowers that don't use a threaded bolt catch screw. The 4-40 is for the takedown pin detent/spring, but it's up to you if you want to use it.
View Quote

Ok, just making sure it wasnt absolutely needed. Thanks!
Page / 82
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top