Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 82
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 12:28:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Trying to plan out a build. With a 16" barrel with rifle length gas and adjustable gas block would a heavy buffer/ spring me needed?
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 9:22:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Trying to plan out a build. With a 16" barrel with rifle length gas and adjustable gas block would a heavy buffer/ spring me needed?
View Quote

I have a rifle length buffer system, and 18" Mid-length adjustable gas, it's very soft shooting, I don't see the need for a heavy buffer, though I may play with one to tune ejection if i can't secure a 3-4 o'clock pattern. right now my rig is a tad overgassed and ejecting at 1-2 o'clock, for the sake of reliability this hunting season and a lack of time to tune further currently.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 9:39:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That rifle is awesome!  Couple questions if you don't mind:

What bipod mount is that?

Have you cycled any rounds through the Brownell's magazine?  Any issues with it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My new lightweight Aero Precision M5 build.  7lbs 12oz empty without scope and scope mount.

http://i.imgur.com/CwjY1hE.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/o7Qxt7s.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/7OC9e5c.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/NwKevq4.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/kuamYgL.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/SdbYlTm.jpg

Lightweight Aero Precision M5 build - 7lbs 12oz empty w/o Scope and mount

That rifle is awesome!  Couple questions if you don't mind:

What bipod mount is that?

Have you cycled any rounds through the Brownell's magazine?  Any issues with it?

Bipod m-lok mount is made my Magpul.  It's solid aluminum.

Have probably got about 100 rounds thru the Brownells mags with no problems.  I use PMAGS too.  Both work fine.  Just kinda like the way the metal brownell's mags look.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 9:49:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Currently working on my first .308 Aero Precision build, hope to be finished with the rifle by the end of the week.  Went with an M5 builder kit in burnt bronze (upper, lower, hand guard).  Aero LPK, BCG, 18 inch barrel, gas block and gas tube. Magpul PRS stock, MOE+ grip, BUIS, CMC 3.5 pound trigger.  Still trying to decide on bipod and optic, but that will come later.  It's almost done now, but this a pic early on in the build...

Link Posted: 10/20/2015 10:43:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Does the PRS adjustable cheek rest inhibit function of the charging handle when it is in the raised position?
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 2:42:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Is it possible that a spring for one of the take down pins was mistakenly installed for the safety? Is the safety's dedent pin properly inserted ?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My safety is extremely mushy. Anyone else have this issue and figure out a fix? I suspect I just need a slightly better spring for it.

Is it possible that a spring for one of the take down pins was mistakenly installed for the safety? Is the safety's dedent pin properly inserted ?

Probably a takedown pin spring. I always do that. I always mess up on some minuscule detail like putting a decimal point in the wrong place or something.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 5:32:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Does the PRS adjustable cheek rest inhibit function of the charging handle when it is in the raised position?
View Quote

Nope.  The AR10/SR25 version's cheekrest is set back far enough to clear.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 10:10:02 AM EDT
[#8]
anyone else notice the bolt catch gets moved by PMAGs? Is this going to be an issue with function?
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 7:54:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
anyone else notice the bolt catch gets moved by PMAGs? Is this going to be an issue with function?
View Quote

Mine works fine with PMAGs. I used a full Aero LPK and replaced the mag catch with an Armalite. Everything else worked great.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 8:44:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Mine works fine with PMAGs. I used a full Aero LPK and replaced the mag catch with an Armalite. Everything else worked great.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thing is, the bolt catch in now is Aero's 308 one, so this is why I am surprised.
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 5:29:41 AM EDT
[#11]
M5 came in today and was concerned how it would fit with my JMT 80% poly. With a little shaving they came together pretty nicely, no slop.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 4:19:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Picked up my M5 set today. Now I need to order more parts.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 4:31:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Just waiting on BCG and rail. Will be next sale at SLR, fingers crossed for Halloween
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 4:26:26 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm just starting out with my build, and I'm trying to figure out what Bolt Carrier to go with. Which BCG are compatible with the Aero M5E1 upper?

I want to get the bolt so I can send it off to have my barrel head spaced when I have it built in December.
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 8:40:30 AM EDT
[#15]
I am joining the club too. Ordered a FDE upper/lower set the other day. Should arrive at my dealers place this week. Because I have went Aero crazy lately, this one will take some time to finish.
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 12:10:06 PM EDT
[#16]
After doing a lot of reading I think I'm going to go with the Aim Nickel Boron BCG. Cost less than the Aero Phosphate (unless they have a sale), and I found a few post on this forum of people using them in the Aero upper with no problems.
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 12:20:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Anyone hear any rumors of black Friday sales yet?

I've got a little money put away and hoping to get almost everything I need to build this rifle if the sales are good enough.
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 6:36:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Save yourself some tears.  Check out the INDUSTRY/AERO area and a AERO rep. states that the Forward Assist on their M-5 upper will only function with an AERO BCG.  After reading that I discovered even that combination will not properly advance the BCG with the F/A lever on the M-5 I have.  Waiting 3-days now for their Tech Assistance to contact me. Good Luck!

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_592/266794_Aero_Precision_M5___Bolt_Carrier_Group_Compatability_thread_.html
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 11:47:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm just starting out with my build, and I'm trying to figure out what Bolt Carrier to go with. Which BCG are compatible with the Aero M5E1 upper?

I want to get the bolt so I can send it off to have my barrel head spaced when I have it built in December.
View Quote

My AIM Surplus Black Nitride BCG works perfectly.  

Link Posted: 10/30/2015 3:55:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Just ordered the upper, Brownells has them on sale for $115.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 5:04:10 PM EDT
[#21]
In progress on my Aero M5 build. Working on the lower now. I got my LPK from Aero Precision but am running into an issue with the front pivot pin. The spring I received is too long with the detent. I can't depress it all the way to get the pivot pin in. The rear takedown pin with spring and detent fit fine. I'm wondering if AP sent me the wrong parts or if I just did something wrong. The spring protrudes from the front hole where you insert the pivot pin spring so it's either too long, the wrong part or I am doing something incredibly wrong.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 5:37:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
In progress on my Aero M5 build. Working on the lower now. I got my LPK from Aero Precision but am running into an issue with the front pivot pin. The spring I received is too long with the detent. I can't depress it all the way to get the pivot pin in. The rear takedown pin with spring and detent fit fine. I'm wondering if AP sent me the wrong parts or if I just did something wrong. The spring protrudes from the front hole where you insert the pivot pin spring so it's either too long, the wrong part or I am doing something incredibly wrong.
View Quote

Make sure there is no crud in the hole, blow some air in it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 5:38:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My Aim NiB BCG worked great today. Fired the M5 build for the first time today. 40 rounds without a hiccup. It's an 18", rifle gas, Rainier Ultramatch with a JP Silent Capture buffer and an SLR Sentry 7 gas block.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 6:26:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Just ordered the upper, Brownells has them on sale for $115.
View Quote

That's a pretty good deal,  considering going with that instead of the M5E1 since they don't sell the M5E1 upper in pieces. I don't understand why Aero won't sell it without the rail since I'm not sure what length I'm going to go with until I get further into my build.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 6:42:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Make sure there is no crud in the hole, blow some air in it.
View Quote

All clear.

I thought the spring/detent was proprietary to Aero. Is it just the pin itself and it's supposed to use standard length/type spring and detent?
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 7:28:54 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm down to need I got the BCM,  Barrel and handguard. Looking at getting a Faxxon heavy profile 18" fluted barrel.  Trying to hold off for black Friday sales.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 9:31:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Anyone have any dirty rumors about when different sites will be offering their holiday discounts? It's difficult waiting, but I'm sure it will be worth it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 2:02:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Save yourself some tears.  Check out the INDUSTRY/AERO area and a AERO rep. states that the Forward Assist on their M-5 upper will only function with an AERO BCG.  After reading that I discovered even that combination will not properly advance the BCG with the F/A lever on the M-5 I have.  Waiting 3-days now for their Tech Assistance to contact me. Good Luck!

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_592/266794_Aero_Precision_M5___Bolt_Carrier_Group_Compatability_thread_.html
View Quote

I have an Aero M5 upper with an Aero BCG and I replaced the forward assist with a light weight V7 Forward assist and it works fine with the Aero BCG.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 9:03:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Mynewglock23, where did you find the burnt bronze? I've searched but could only find the FDE. Thanks Eric

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 2:03:19 AM EDT
[#30]
14.5"

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 1:04:28 PM EDT
[#31]
What scope riser is that? I bought short rings like yours and need to raise it
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 7:14:29 AM EDT
[#32]
So I found a Daniel Defense LITE 12.0 762 on the EE a few days ago..........

.......Here I am about $900 lighter after picking up AP M5 receivers and parts. Fricken ARFCOM

I'm holding off a barrel until the main parts come in. I'm torn between the Rainier Arms Ultramatch 14.5" middy, Ultramatch 16" rifle, or Ultramatch LR 16" rifle. Still reading as much as I can about gas issues (so much varying info out there), but I'm leaning toward the 16" LR Rifle length. It will eventually share a Surefire SOCOM 762 with my bolt gun.

Any thoughts on the gas issues with those setups?

Primarily it will be an M80 Ball blaster, but I would like to send FGMM 175gr on occasion.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 7:03:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
What scope riser is that? I bought short rings like yours and need to raise it
View Quote

The riser is a KAC.  My rings are the .823 Badgers, but they're BARELY too low.  I ordered .885 to replace them.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 2:01:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Schuyler Arms have the AP black phosphate bcg on sale for 145, just couldn't pass it up. Ordered one last night. Need to order a barrel, HG, and MD, this weapon should be ready for testing. I'm going to order a 18" fluted, 416ss middy from Juggernaut Tactical and a Rainier switch. An adjustable GB and tube from Wilson Combat is en route. BCM mod4 CH is nice. The M5 upper from Brownells was a good deal @ 114 and fit snuggly on the JMT 80%.
Lower parts incl, DPMS lpkt, milspec T6 7075 extension, ACS-L stock, MOE+ grip in OD, cmmg buffer and spring, Mega trigger w/ JP yellow spring and Phase 5 Tactical extended bolt catch. So far so good...
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 2:11:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Just ordered the lower, Aero has them on sale this weekend. 142 after mil discount.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 6:55:00 PM EDT
[#36]
i just finished this in time for deer season

M5 upper and lower
AIM Nitride BCG
BCM CH Mod 4
Apex Gator 15" HG
Faxon 18" barrel
CMC Single stage 3.5# trigger
Luther Stock
PSA ACSS HUD 4-14x44
Saker muzzle brake
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 12:09:06 AM EDT
[#37]
About to build another one. Are people still having to buy the Aero pivot/takedown pins? Or has something else been found to work?
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 12:15:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s89.photobucket.com/user/halleyjhett/media/308_zps34hhaqsn.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k211/halleyjhett/308_zps34hhaqsn.jpg</a>

M5 upper and lower
AIM Phosphat BCG
BCM GH Mod 4
Apex Gator 15" HG
Faxon 18" barrel
Luther Stock
PSA ACSS HUD 4-14x44
Saker muzzle brake
View Quote

Great looking build. Those Apex handguards really provide a smooth, clean looking upper. It looks like it will make a great deer rifle. How you are you liking that Primary Arms glass?
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 2:07:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Wild Card M5

Weight w/o scope or mount. Current mount Aero 30mm SPR. Current Scope PA 4x14.

Aero M5 Receiver Set
Aero NiB BCG
Geissele Trigger
V7 Lower Parts:
  -Ti Magazine Catch
  -Ti Castle Nut
  -Ti QD Endplate
  -Ti Hammer/Trigger Pins
  -S7 Bolt Catch
  -57 Degree Selector
  -Ti Buffer Retainer
  -Ti Pivot/Take Down Pins
Magpul Moe Grip
CTR
BCM Gunfighter
SLR 9"
Faxon LW 18" Barrel Mid Length Gas
V7 Ti Gas Block
V7 Ti Furion

Link Posted: 11/11/2015 8:19:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Build mock up:

AP M5, Rainier Arms Ultramatch LR 16", Daniel Defense LITE 762

Will primarily run an Eotech 553 as a blaster for M80 ball, and occasionally a Nightforce F1 H59 for 175gr FGMM use.

Link Posted: 11/11/2015 8:41:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

No.  The same rail in DPMS Low fits my PSA PA-10 perfect.

I have since switched to an SLR DPMS high 13" solo lite for my Aero M5.  It fits perfect and does not require the barrel nut to be indexed to the gas tube and the rail locks to the barrel nut via a groove in the barrel AND it's about 1 oz lighter that the MI even though it's about 1/2" longer.  The SLR really is the perfect rail for the Aero M5
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Has anyone else tried the MI 308 rail? Wondering if the offset results that were posted a couple pages back were the standard

Doesn't really fit my Aero M5 right.  Not flush with top of receiver.  

http://i.imgur.com/EVSdjVU.jpg" />  

Sucks because I really like their rail (and the price isn't too bad either) Did you contact them at all?

Quoted:
Is the gas system on 308s so finicky that you can't find a single setting that works reliably w/ and w/o a suppressor?

Asking this because I am about to pick up a Seekins adjustable (yes, adjusts on the side) - but if I can get it set and leave it, I will be happy. But if I have to adjust every time I go from unsuppressed to suppressed, I suppose that would be worth the extra 50+

No.  The same rail in DPMS Low fits my PSA PA-10 perfect.

I have since switched to an SLR DPMS high 13" solo lite for my Aero M5.  It fits perfect and does not require the barrel nut to be indexed to the gas tube and the rail locks to the barrel nut via a groove in the barrel AND it's about 1 oz lighter that the MI even though it's about 1/2" longer.  The SLR really is the perfect rail for the Aero M5

Midwest Industries apparently has decided not to make rails for DPMS high receivers.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 9:56:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
About to build another one. Are people still having to buy the Aero pivot/takedown pins? Or has something else been found to work?
View Quote

I did.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 9:59:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Great looking build. Those Apex handguards really provide a smooth, clean looking upper. It looks like it will make a great deer rifle. How you are you liking that Primary Arms glass?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="http://s89.photobucket.com/user/halleyjhett/media/308_zps34hhaqsn.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k211/halleyjhett/308_zps34hhaqsn.jpg</a>

M5 upper and lower
AIM Phosphat BCG
BCM GH Mod 4
Apex Gator 15" HG
Faxon 18" barrel
Luther Stock
PSA ACSS HUD 4-14x44
Saker muzzle brake

Yeah i love the Apex HG. Fits great and feels great. I will buy another in the future, no doubt

I just got the glass in yesterday. Its super clear. I have yet to fire the gun with it on, but its nice.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 1:57:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Hello, I see the Armalite AR-10® A-series magazine catch will work with an Aero upper, BUT, will the Armalite AR-10® A-series bolt stop catch work as well, Thank You
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 9:29:53 PM EDT
[#45]
OK, need some help fellas. Went to the range for the first time with the completed gun and experienced some issues.

Tried two different factory ammo loads (I blame some accuracy issues on this, but think it shouldn't have impacted the functioning problems)
Chief complaint... Failure to Feed. about 2-3 out of 5 were not go completely into battery. Would have to drop the mag, pull back on the CH and drop it to get it to seat (bolt wasn't engaging on rim).
Secondary complaint... broke my Aero 308 Bolt Catch, and it wasn't on the last round in the magazine.
The hammer pin started walking out twice (SSA-E and Geissele pins)

I thought that the latter problem may have been causing the former (bolt catch sitting too high and BCG dragging across top of it); however, one it was removed (aka broken) these FTF problems continued.
This happened suppressed and unsuppressed.
The BCG was well lubed.
brass ejecting off deflector and going in the 2 o'clock direction

Specs:
18" Mega barrel 1 in 10"
Seekins adj gas block (factory setting, states "open")
SLR Solo rail (opening perfect for gas block adjustments)
Aero Upper and Lower receivers
AIM NiB 308 BCG
Armalite AR10 Rifle buffer (5.4oz) and spring

So what I have found around here shows that it could be bad casting on the bolt catch and potentially a little too much friction in the roll pin hole, causing it to "hang up." But what about the FTF? Is that a gassing problem? I wouldn't think too much gas would cause that.

Link Posted: 11/16/2015 10:40:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Try adjusting your gas block.  Start from full closed and work your way out until the bolt locks back on an empty mag.  I usually give another 1/8 turn or one click out to be more reliable.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 11:03:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Try adjusting your gas block.  Start from full closed and work your way out until the bolt locks back on an empty mag.  I usually give another 1/8 turn or one click out to be more reliable.
View Quote

would being over-gassed cause failure to feeds though?
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 1:10:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pics of the failure to feed?  A lot of things could be causing a failure to feed, over gassing, under gassing, bad magazine, magazine catch is too loose, magazine catch slot is too high or too low, magazine well cut at a bad angle, weak mag springs, bad feed lips, too much friction, etc.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 2:23:51 PM EDT
[#49]
" />

" />

The ammo is tricky with AR-308's....I found Winchester super-x 150 grain's worked best in mine
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 3:28:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Pics of the failure to feed?  A lot of things could be causing a failure to feed, over gassing, under gassing, bad magazine, magazine catch is too loose, magazine catch slot is too high or too low, magazine well cut at a bad angle, weak mag springs, bad feed lips, too much friction, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since I was at a range that doesn't allow pictures, nope. They were going into the chamber, just not completely. The PMag wasn't resting on the bench (upward pressure). I may try a lot more breaking in on everything with lube and hand cycling + different mags. With it still occurring after the bolt catch was broken and clear, I can pretty much rule problems with that out. I did notice a little chip/channel on the top rear of the magazine follower. Perhaps the mag seats too high and is causing resistance.

So guessing parts to troubleshoot are 1. mag 2. gas block 3. buffer?
Page / 82
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top