User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 3:23:37 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Why would you buy this in the first place? The Hensoldt 3x magnifier is cheaper and undeniably superior, and you wouldn't be supporting the "ethically challenged".

BEST REPLY YET!!!
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 6:07:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd like to see some through the reticle pictures with one of these clones set up behind an Eotech. Any of you who have bought them have a camera? I'll host the images if you need me to.

edit: and a range report....how do they hold up after a day or two of shooting?
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 6:52:07 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'd like to see some through the reticle pictures with one of these clones set up behind an Eotech. Any of you who have bought them have a camera? I'll host the images if you need me to.

+1

Any pics through these magnifiers behind an Eotech or a genuin aimpoint reddot would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 8:38:31 PM EDT
[#4]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
Why would you buy this in the first place? The Hensoldt 3x magnifier is cheaper and undeniably superior, and you wouldn't be supporting the "ethically challenged".

BEST REPLY YET!!!

Do you know where you can buy a stand alone hensoldt magnifier and a mount for it? (aside from larue)
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 9:03:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BEST REPLY YET!!!

Do you know where you can buy a stand alone hensoldt magnifier and a mount for it? (aside from larue)

The only other place I found was sportsmans guide but they sold out.  I guess these sights were surplus and used on a european bazooka/rocket launcher so there are a limited number.

www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=321505

Link Posted: 11/30/2007 2:39:26 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Coming soon........

I need to get a base for my Aimpoint Comp M2 first that is at the same center line height as the magnifier so I can mount them together, rezero and then take photos.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:35:46 AM EDT
[#7]
LARUE has a small supply PO Boy

might be sold out since CHRISTmas is coming
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:00:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I definitly want to try out one of these"yellow" market 3x clones.

my only experience with a clone was when I bought a ultradot strike dot for my carbon 15 9mm carbine and the power knob fly out of the sight but a monocular is simpler so I hope that it works anyway I will use my wiley x SG-1 just in case

Not to lecture but to clarify. When they steal a copywrited logo and pass something off as the real thing it is not a clone but a counterfeit. Leave off the logo and it is a clone.

Now the lecture. IMHO the people importing the counterfeits and those knowingly buying them should go to jail. When you get ripped off with one you will feel the same way.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:37:51 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

my only experience with a clone was when I bought a ultradot strike dot for my carbon 15 9mm carbine and the power knob fly out of the sight but a monocular is simpler so I hope that it works anyway I will use my wiley x SG-1 just in case

Not to lecture but to clarify. When they steal a copywrited logo and pass something off as the real thing it is not a clone but a counterfeit. Leave off the logo and it is a clone.

Now the lecture. IMHO the people importing the counterfeits and those knowingly buying them should go to jail. When you get ripped off with one you will feel the same way.

Ok fair enough,well can someone give me an idea of how I can try the 3x magnifier concept without spending $500.00+ then deciding is not my thing and have to post it in the EE for $150.00 less than what I paid?

I am open to suggestions.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:16:29 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok fair enough,well can someone give me an idea of how I can try the 3x magnifier concept without spending $500.00+ then deciding is not my thing and have to post it in the EE for $150.00 less than what I paid?

I am open to suggestions.

You could buy one already used off the EE and if you don't like it sell it for what you paid.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:20:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
That is such a good fake I can never trust to buy a used Aimpoint magnifier now. Heck, I can't even trust to buy a new one now.

that's why...
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:26:27 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That is such a good fake I can never trust to buy a used Aimpoint magnifier now. Heck, I can't even trust to buy a new one now.

that's why...

Thats why we have feedback in the EE. I seriously doubt any regular ARFCOM members with a positive score are going to attempt to pass off a clone as real, and I don't think it would go well for anyone that did.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:30:54 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

that's why...

Thats why we have feedback in the EE. I seriously doubt any regular ARFCOM members with a positive score are going to attempt to pass off a clone as real, and I don't think it would go well for anyone that did.

Hmmm... What if the guy who is selling his "genuine 3x magnifier" bought it used from somebody else, and didn't even know it was a fake?

I wouldn't buy an Aimpoint or Eotech product used unless I knew the person personally, and where it came from. There are just too many counterfeits rolling around.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:39:08 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Hmmm... What if the guy who is selling his "genuine 3x magnifier" bought it used from somebody else, and didn't even know it was a fake?

I would expect them to refund my money in full.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 11:29:17 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dont think so.

ETA:    WHOOAAA!!! 3 pages on a clone topic and only one intervention by the mods,this must be a record!
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 1:36:16 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dont think so.

I don't understand, are you saying that I shouldn't expect a refund from someone who sold me a counterfeit product under the premise it is genuine? That would be a huge mistake, since trafficking in counterfeit merchandise is illegal. "But I didn't know it" doesn't cut it. Thats like saying the police are not going to arrest you for trafficking stolen goods just because you "say" you didn't know they were stolen. At the minimum they could be charged with fraud.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 2:16:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
LARUE has a small supply PO Boy

might be sold out since CHRISTmas is coming

I'm wondering that myself I placed an order for a m3 and a po boy special a couple days ago and it looks like i was just billed for the aimpoint and cant mount.......
Suposed to arive monday acording to ups but i'm afraid their gone

I'm not interested in a direct ripoff (a magnifier with aimpoints name on it) although i would buy something at a reasonable price/quality point .........
but i'm not paying 588~ for a 3x magnifier and mount either. I'd rather throw a few more dollars into the kitty and get a decent scope and larue mount......
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 3:01:34 PM EDT
[#18]
To any of you that have the clones, dose it have the screws on the bottom to mount it using the sampson mount? I have an extra mount and can not justify buying another real aimpoint for plinking right now, but I would buy one of these clones and use my sampson flip mount on it, if it will mount that way. Please let me know if it will work
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 6:06:13 AM EDT
[#19]
yes it does have the 4-bolt rectungular patter underneath the body to accept the Samson mount.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 4:28:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Here is one on Ebay with a picture through the magnifier behind a real eotech.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160186708541&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=006
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 3:24:32 PM EDT
[#21]
I wonder if these clones would fit in a 30mm ring?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 3:28:51 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I wonder if these clones would fit in a 30mm ring?

I'm pretty sure they they are made to fit in the regular 30mm mounts. That's what I have read and observed.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 4:08:16 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd be curious to know what it costs Aimpoint to make these and what percent mark up they have?  I realize there's lots of R&D and overhead to produce them but I'm still curious?  I'd never pay the money for the real deal unless my life actually depended on it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 4:30:15 PM EDT
[#24]
  After reading this thread, I purchased a 3X magnifier clone from the ebay guy. A little over $100 shipped and that includes the twist off mount. Thats a hard price to beat for a very simple scope. I did purchase a Larue QD mount however because I am going to switch the magnifier between 3 AR's.

I'm very careful about what goes on and in my weapons. Nothing but quality for me. I've been on this website for quite awhile and have put to use all the good info thats available here from people who have used the products I have chosen. I know there are complaints about people who buy clones and usually they have a good argument. But not in this case. I try my best to buy American but not when I am getting the shaft and paying several hundred dollars too much just for a name.

I love Aimpoint products. I have 3 of them. After trying several other optics I always went back to the Aimpoints. You factor in battery life, price, durability and I always come up with AIMPOINT. I won't blink and eye to spend $300 or $400 on one. But I have a hard time spending that kind of money on something like a 3X magnifier. I even tried to justify it by splitting the price up 3 ways because I was going to switch it out between my 3 AR's using a Larue QD mount. But still couldn't pull the trigger.

Hopefully a good optics company (preferably American) can come up with there own version that is affordable and durable at the same time. Its obvious Aimpoint and Eotech are out to make a quick buck off of AR owners. I guess thats the thanks we get for purchasing there products.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:25:35 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
  After reading this thread, I purchased a 3X magnifier clone from the ebay guy. A little over $100 shipped and that includes the twist off mount. Thats a hard price to beat for a very simple scope. I did purchase a Larue QD mount however because I am going to switch the magnifier between 3 AR's.

I'm very careful about what goes on and in my weapons. Nothing but quality for me. I've been on this website for quite awhile and have put to use all the good info thats available here from people who have used the products I have chosen. I know there are complaints about people who buy clones and usually they have a good argument. But not in this case. I try my best to buy American but not when I am getting the shaft and paying several hundred dollars too much just for a name.

I love Aimpoint products. I have 3 of them. After trying several other optics I always went back to the Aimpoints. You factor in battery life, price, durability and I always come up with AIMPOINT. I won't blink and eye to spend $300 or $400 on one. But I have a hard time spending that kind of money on something like a 3X magnifier. I even tried to justify it by splitting the price up 3 ways because I was going to switch it out between my 3 AR's using a Larue QD mount. But still couldn't pull the trigger.

Hopefully a good optics company (preferably American) can come up with there own version that is affordable and durable at the same time. Its obvious Aimpoint and Eotech are out to make a quick buck off of AR owners. I guess thats the thanks we get for purchasing there products.

I'm tending to agree with you on this. Like I said before, I think it's more about making a buck off military contracts, and the civilian purchases at a high price are just a bonus. The military wants to buy American products. They are the only ones manufacturing these parts in America (besides Eotech) so it makes sense for them to charge whatever they can get because I believe it's their contracts that are the bread and butter for them. It's probably not a personal attack on AR owners, and I sense that's why they haven't cracked down on all the clones and counterfeits because it's not really taking away much from their bottom line.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:28:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Due to ITAR regulations which I have to follow in my place of work, the US military CANNOT buy anything BUT American-made products. Even the sub components that go into the final product must come from American or US Military approved countries and companies. Hence companies like Aimpoint which are already under contract are able to charge whatever the hell they want becasue more times often than not the military isn't even allowed to buy from a cheaper non-US source. Also when the military DOES change sauppliers the testing and approval process is ridiculously long.

I agree with the former 2 posters. Aimpoint is making "sweet moola" on the magnifier with the US military and the civilian sales are a bonus.

Post edited.  You are free to use airsoft or other chinese optics, please do not call people who choose not to do that names.-Aimless

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=349914
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:46:10 AM EDT
[#27]
I just ordered one of these magnifiers. Hopefully it works with my tasco propoint. If not I will be selling it in the EE.

If it cant mount in front of the scope I am SOL
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:54:00 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Huh?

Not sure what you mean here....but here is a word of advice. So long as the exit diameter of the taso is at least 30mm you should be able to use the magnifier. You MAY need to use an add on riser for the tasco though to bring it's centerline in line with the magnifier's centerline.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 8:06:21 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Huh?

Not sure what you mean here....but here is a word of advice. So long as the exit diameter of the taso is at least 30mm you should be able to use the magnifier. You MAY need to use an add on riser for the tasco though to bring it's centerline in line with the magnifier's centerline.

The ebay pics show it behind an eotech. The eye releif is my concern. I need it in front of the scope. It is for an A3 upper with DD FF rail. My scope/rings and BUIS take up all the rails on the upper... the only room for a 3x unit is on the forward rail section.

The tasco is a 30mm tube, so check on that part. It is on ARMS 22 high rings, and the irons line up with th center of the optic when they are flipped up, in similar fashion of an aimpoint. The only aimpoint experience I have is with a clone unit though...

I am too cheap to buy good optics, its to easy for me to drop somethng and bust into 1000 peices.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 8:11:31 AM EDT
[#30]
The photo of the magnifier that was posted is NOT a clone, it is a COUNTERFEIT.

Link Posted: 12/4/2007 8:31:29 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Huh?

The ebay pics show it behind an eotech. The eye releif is my concern. I need it in front of the scope. It is for an A3 upper with DD FF rail. My scope/rings and BUIS take up all the rails on the upper... the only room for a 3x unit is on the forward rail section.

The tasco is a 30mm tube, so check on that part. It is on ARMS 22 high rings, and the irons line up with th center of the optic when they are flipped up, in similar fashion of an aimpoint. The only aimpoint experience I have is with a clone unit though...

I am too cheap to buy good optics, its to easy for me to drop somethng and bust into 1000 peices.

I don't THINK you can reversew the order of the magnifier and red dot.

Seeing as you have a FF rail, why not move the red dot up and put the mag BEHIND (between the red dot and your eye) as it was designed? You can mount the red dot on a full float rail as it is essentially a part of the upper receiver.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 12:08:42 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Huh?

I don't THINK you can reversew the order of the magnifier and red dot.

Seeing as you have a FF rail, why not move the red dot up and put the mag BEHIND (between the red dot and your eye) as it was designed? You can mount the red dot on a full float rail as it is essentially a part of the upper receiver.

+1

Try that and see if it works. The only thing that might be difficult is that if it's a knockoff, it may not have good enough eye relief to mount that far forward, but you won't know until you try it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 12:14:32 PM EDT
[#33]
I can already tell you that the eye relief is not that high.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:29:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Will these aimpoint clones fit in the larue pivot mount? I have the mount but no magnifier. I want to try out the clone before and IF I buy the real deal. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:07:52 PM EDT
[#35]
You know I was afraid the eye relief may wind up like that.
The tasco would be alright on the forward rail section but the arms22h rings were in "used" condition when I got them and they dont secure that tight to the DD machined rail. I may have to get over that though..

Hopefully it makes it to my house from honkongo by the weekend ...

Ill post some pics for sure. I need to get some pics for the SBR picture thread anyway, with as much money and time thats in it I would like to show it off a little. I appreciate input guys.

Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:21:19 PM EDT
[#36]
I spoke with an Aimpoint rep the other day while trying to pursue some sort of criminal charges regarding the sale of Aimpoint clones (being passed off as the real thing) in my jurisdiction. (they are working on going after the importers but there's not much to be done on a local level)

These magnifiers are all plastic inside. You get what you pay for people. These should be fine for a range queen, .22 or Airsoft gun but I certainly wouldn't want one on a weapon that my life or the lives of others might depend on.

I'd prefer to keep as much of my money away from the Chinese as possible.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:04:31 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Due to ITAR regulations which I have to follow in my place of work, the US military CANNOT buy anything BUT American-made products. Even the sub components that go into the final product must come from American or US Military approved countries and companies. Hence companies like Aimpoint which are already under contract are able to charge whatever the hell they want becasue more times often than not the military isn't even allowed to buy from a cheaper non-US source. Also when the military DOES change sauppliers the testing and approval process is ridiculously long.

I agree with the former 2 posters. Aimpoint is making "sweet moola" on the magnifier with the US military and the civilian sales are a bonus.

Post edited.  You are free to use airsoft or other chinese optics, please do not call people who choose not to do that names.-Aimless

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=349914

Aimpoint is made in Sweden.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 4:25:30 AM EDT
[#38]
That is well known. And Aimpoint conforms with ITAR regs.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 6:06:59 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I spoke with an Aimpoint rep the other day while trying to pursue some sort of criminal charges regarding the sale of Aimpoint clones (being passed off as the real thing) in my jurisdiction. (they are working on going after the importers but there's not much to be done on a local level)

These magnifiers are all plastic inside. You get what you pay for people. These should be fine for a range queen, .22 or Airsoft gun but I certainly wouldn't want one on a weapon that my life or the lives of others might depend on.

Are you a LEO, or just a concerned citizen?
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 8:59:18 AM EDT
[#40]
height=8
Quoted:

The clonepoint red dots not only have plastic inner tubes but are held together with black electrical tape.  Take one apart for S&G's.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 10:24:13 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does it matter?
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 11:30:12 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does it matter?

No, it just seemed a little odd that a concerned citizen would be "trying to pursue some sort of criminal charges regarding the sale of Aimpoint Clones"...

Sorry DWFAN, did I expose your troll account there?...
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 11:32:58 AM EDT
[#43]
He's not a troll he's a seagull.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 12:11:18 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does it matter?

No, it just seemed a little odd that a concerned citizen would be "trying to pursue some sort of criminal charges regarding the sale of Aimpoint Clones"...

Sorry DWFAN, did I expose your troll account there?...

Why would it be odd to inform a company that actively supports our passion about a patent infringement on one of their products?

Aimpoint makes products that we the shooting community wants. It would behoove us to help protect said companies.

Funny, I was going to ask you if you were stazi's troll account.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 12:12:14 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
He's not a troll he's a seagull.

Still planning to sell these counterfeit Aimpoints on the EE?
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 12:18:22 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Right, that would make sense, seeing as he joined BEFORE me.

Nice reach though.....

Link Posted: 12/6/2007 12:19:36 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Right, that would make sense, seeing as he joined BEFORE me. www.akforum.net/phpBB2/images/smiles/sogay.gif

Nice reach though.....

By two months...big deal.

He seems to think I started a troll account 3 yrs prior and it only has 59 posts since then.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 3:31:01 PM EDT
[#48]
I have both clone a real aimpoint 3x There is no differance that i can tell.Except the more money.I have them on my colt m4 .No probrems with ether. The clone is a clear as real one .I don't see why people bash the clones? their a good  deal for someone not wanting to spend $500
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 3:44:18 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Right, that would make sense, seeing as he joined BEFORE me. www.akforum.net/phpBB2/images/smiles/sogay.gif

Nice reach though.....

He seems to think I started a troll account 3 yrs prior and it only has 59 posts since then.

This thread has gotten off topic. Do you have anything to say regarding the thread topic at hand, or were you just here to be a wet blanket DWFAN?...
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 4:40:44 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice reach though.....

This thread has gotten off topic. Do you have anything to say regarding the thread topic at hand, or were you just here to be a wet blanket DWFAN?...

I'm here to pay attention to the happenings in regard to counterfeit products so I don't potentially get screwed over if I decide to purchase one of these on the EE.
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top