Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 2:42:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It was locally fabbed in the USAF gunsmith shop Medina Annex, Lackland AFB. They've been used for decades.
View Quote
Are they still in use? Is the tool a "top secret" or something? I'm just surprised that it took the OP posting this thread for the beans to be spilled on a tool that has been out there for decades.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 2:49:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Are they still in use? Is the tool a "top secret" or something? I'm just surprised that it took the OP posting this thread for the beans to be spilled on a tool that has been out there for decades.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It was locally fabbed in the USAF gunsmith shop Medina Annex, Lackland AFB. They've been used for decades.
I agree. Seems unusual.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 2:50:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
GHPorter, that sketchy building is a re-purposed hardened munitions maintenance and storage building.
View Quote
What year was that a Munitions MX bldg.? It wasn't in 98-99 or anytime after before Kelly was "shut down" and transferred to Lackland. I was munitions back then and we were assigned to Kelly but worked on Medina.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 2:52:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
OP, mind posting this over in the retro section.  If you'd be willing to loan it out, I suspect someone in that forum would be interested in getting it in hand for exact measurements and might turn a batch or two out...John Thomas, NoDak,ect.
View Quote
I posted a link over there.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 7:22:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I missed this post somehow.

Imagine how much easier barrel installs would be with the barrel in this position!

I would LOVE to have one of these on my bench!
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 7:37:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Imagine how much easier barrel installs would be with the barrel in this position!
View Quote
It's a lot easier. I've used a reaction rod type tool mounted vertically in a vise before for a few things and it makes it a lot easier, but can't get a strong enough grip for barrel nut torque in that orientation in the vise.

The tool shown here mounted to a workbench would be awesome
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 8:11:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 8:30:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I worked there in '94. When I retired in '13 it was still in the same building on Medina.

As far as not being made by some manufacturer I can't speak to beyond maybe being a little costly to manufacture.  Even after using them I'd still just use standard hinged receiver blocks for my purposes and budget.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 8:50:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Here is the lonely dejected mock up that I started. It needs refining and some final locations determined. The hole for the extension wrench plug weld is not yet added and I believe that the wrench may need shortened??

Locations will need to be determined with a barreled upper in position on the extension wrench and spot welded.  And hopefully, heat distortion is minimal during weld off.

I gotta find some time.

Oh, and a radius key needs machined and attatched to the wrench. (Is THAT all!?) Ha. It's just a matter of time....

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/416992/20171219_082634_1513695613606_001-395124-424753.jpg
View Quote
Nice. A piece of square key stock about 7/16" wide should work when welded to the extension tool. I'm guessing that's about the width of the charging handle slot in the upper.

Really, another hour and a half or so worth of solid work would probably get it. It's lookin' good so far. Let me know how much when you're done.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 8:51:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
GHPorter, that sketchy building is a re-purposed hardened munitions maintenance and storage building.
View Quote
Given its location near the flightline, it makes a lot of sense.  But that still wouldn’t have anything to do with a jig for M16-family uppers...

Oh, and when we got ready for inspections, we never dumped stuff in ponds or that sort of thing.  Of course I have no idea why the Assistant NCOIC’s trunk would be super full of whatever wound up in there, because I never had anything to do with that...
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 10:56:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 1:34:04 PM EDT
[#12]
@NoMoAMMO

Can you see how much the center post actually engages the barrel extension?

From the photos you have here:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

It almost looks like there's no engagement of the barrel extension.  Happen to have a striped upper you can drop on there and take a photo from the barrel end?

@Tigwelder1971

You posted a photo of the brownells AR15/AR10 tool.  I might be envisioning this the wrong way, but wouldn't the added length of the AR10 receiver make the engagement lugs for the AR10 barrel pretty much unusable once you weld it to the jig?  Given the price, I guess it's probably the best option but just curious if your plans would allow for it to work with an AR10 upper.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 1:56:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Brownells has two separate barrel extension tools, one for the AR15 and one for the AR10. I don't think that they are cross compatible.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 1:59:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
@NoMoAMMO

Can you see how much the center post actually engages the barrel extension?

From the photos you have here:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56078/IMG_2006-394782.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56078/IMG_2007-394783.JPG

It almost looks like there's no engagement of the barrel extension.  Happen to have a striped upper you can drop on there and take a photo from the barrel end?

@Tigwelder1971

You posted a photo of the brownells AR15/AR10 tool.  I might be envisioning this the wrong way, but wouldn't the added length of the AR10 receiver make the engagement lugs for the AR10 barrel pretty much unusable once you weld it to the jig?  Given the price, I guess it's probably the best option but just curious if your plans would allow for it to work with an AR10 upper.
View Quote
I'll check it this evening and get some pics
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 2:04:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 2:05:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 3:45:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I did not realize this.

I have zero experience with the AR10 platform.
View Quote
I just went and re-checked the description on Brownells site, and it's advertised as the .308 version of the their AR15 barrel extension tool.

Nothing specific about the AR10.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 9:40:01 PM EDT
[#18]
@Tigwelder1971

Take a look at these photos:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

VS

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

It maybe worth modifying the plates to allow flat top uppers to fully seat in the jig.  I believe it could be modified in a way that would work for both A1/A2/M4 type lowers.  The relief pocket that you mentioned over looking will probably be needed for the flat top upper once it can fully seat in the jig.

As to the aforementioned center post that engages the barrel extension from Brownells, I originally thought that they made a unit that worked in both AR15's and AR10's.  They list two different tools:
AR15 Tool
AR10(DPMS/KAC/LaRue/PA10/AeroM5 Format) Tool

Sorry for introducing the confusion there.  There are some models on the market that are AR15/1AR10 compatible, such as the Kely Zion($60 but it's from that vendor we can't mention...B0+@(h ) or the Knights Armament Co KAC Barrel Extension Action Wrench ($81 if you can find it in stock and may or may not work with non-KAC barrel extensions depending on what you read).

Looks like keeping it AR15 specific would be best.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 10:07:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 10:08:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 10:11:56 PM EDT
[#21]
I think I might try to find somebody to mill some channels in the supports to clear the flat top overhang.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 11:02:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I think I might try to find somebody to mill some channels in the supports to clear the flat top overhang.
View Quote
Looks like you're easiest mod would be to cut back the area now marked in red just enough to let the upper seat:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 12:42:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 12:46:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 12:49:56 AM EDT
[#25]
First, it appears that if the "ears" were moved further apart, that would allow the flat top upper to seat further onto the splines of the extension wrench.
View Quote
See my post above yours with the red marked area to remove.

The width needs to stay the same to properly hold the exterior of the upper.  You'll need to take a set of calipers to them to compare, but I'm thinking that the width of the flat top upper below the rail section is the same as the width of the A1/A2 uppers where the carry handle meets the same area of the upper.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 12:10:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Is no one else wondering why someone would chuck one of these in a pond?.........?
View Quote
Most likely it’s an “illegal tool”!
The MSET, LSET, Compliance Team, (guys from D.C.) are coming. MAKE THIS GO AWAY!!! “But saaarge I thought you meant permanently.....”
With the assumption that AF Regs/instruction for Aircraft maintence are simuliar to armorers.
Approved special tools are submitted through the AF suggestion/improvement program= (Lots of paper work and any jerk in the process can shut it down)
Once approved (6months to a year sometimes) the drawings will be added to the appropriate T.O. .next change.
Or through emergency TCTO (time compliance technical Order)
If it’s not in the manual (common hand tolls exempt) it’s not approved.

If it’s commercially available it’s considered common.

Note: To make things even more complicated, sometimes the Air Force uses Army manuals / joint AF, Army manuals. Dual use FM / T.O.s
This could take years to get a Manual change “maybe it will get approved at the next working group conference in 10 to 20 years”
And if it doesn’t affect a certain dollar amount, cost/man hours (or safety) it may go to the bottom of the pile.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 7:28:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Prettt much this.  ^^^^

6.0" OAL x .440"w x .550"h are the rough numbers scribbled on my toolbox.

I'm thinking that all corners on contact surfaces will need to be smoothed as well so as to not damage the ano.

I've talked to a pal about Cerakote/powder coating also, just haven't hooked up with him for a few weeks. As usual, big plans....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice. A piece of square key stock about 7/16" wide should work when welded to the extension tool. I'm guessing that's about the width of the charging handle slot in the upper.
Prettt much this.  ^^^^

6.0" OAL x .440"w x .550"h are the rough numbers scribbled on my toolbox.

I'm thinking that all corners on contact surfaces will need to be smoothed as well so as to not damage the ano.

I've talked to a pal about Cerakote/powder coating also, just haven't hooked up with him for a few weeks. As usual, big plans....
As a Cerakoter, I would recommend powdercoating it if that's an option. For this particular application it would be much better suited.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 7:32:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 7:33:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
@Tigwelder1971

Take a look at these photos:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56078/IMG_2005-394687.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56078/IMG_2004-394686.JPG

VS

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56078/IMG_2007-394783.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56078/IMG_2008-394784.JPG

It maybe worth modifying the plates to allow flat top uppers to fully seat in the jig.  I believe it could be modified in a way that would work for both A1/A2/M4 type lowers.  The relief pocket that you mentioned over looking will probably be needed for the flat top upper once it can fully seat in the jig.

As to the aforementioned center post that engages the barrel extension from Brownells, I originally thought that they made a unit that worked in both AR15's and AR10's.  They list two different tools:
AR15 Tool
AR10(DPMS/KAC/LaRue/PA10/AeroM5 Format) Tool

Sorry for introducing the confusion there.  There are some models on the market that are AR15/1AR10 compatible, such as the Kely Zion($60 but it's from that vendor we can't mention...B0+@(h ) or the Knights Armament Co KAC Barrel Extension Action Wrench ($81 if you can find it in stock and may or may not work with non-KAC barrel extensions depending on what you read).

Looks like keeping it AR15 specific would be best.
View Quote
This. Nobody cares about no stinkin' AR-10's.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 9:22:33 AM EDT
[#30]
I'll get the measurements this week. I would have done it this weekend but I decided to break my foot instead so that put a damper on my plans
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 7:33:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

All kinds of shit ends up in ponds.

Hammers,boat motors, pistols, and a swing set among the finds here.
View Quote
Jimmy Hoffas?  

It might be good to have the rod welded to a steel block that could be easily grabbed in a heavy bench vise.  That is, replace the plate base with a thicker block so you could either bolt it to a bench OR grab it in a vise.

That is a really neat fixture.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 8:05:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'll get the measurements this week. I would have done it this weekend but I decided to break my foot instead so that put a damper on my plans
View Quote
Stumped your foot on something metal while walking through another dried up pond?

Seriously, hope your foot gets better quick.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 8:14:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Wow! What a find!
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 5:19:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 5:21:34 PM EDT
[#35]
@tigwelder1971 @wangstang let me know if yall need anything else
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 11:56:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Any chance to get some additional specs or measurements on this?

I have a buddy who can weld and would love to make one if possible...

Thank you!
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 3:34:15 PM EDT
[#38]
I meant to post this a while back but forgot.

Is that the jig they used to modfiy A1s to A2s?  Any CATM dudes who were around for that?
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 3:57:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Any chance to get some additional specs or measurements on this?

I have a buddy who can weld and would love to make one if possible...

Thank you!
View Quote
What are you looking for specifically?
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 10:11:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Is that the jig they used to modfiy A1s to A2s?  Any CATM dudes who were around for that?
View Quote
All of the “upgrade” A2s at Lackland were modified to A2 status by first changing out the FCG (and changing the markings on the lower), then slapping a complete A2 upper on them.  I would assume that Kelly’s M16s were upgraded the same way.  In other words, this upgrade didn’t require any barrel work - just changing out the upper.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 12:40:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
All of the “upgrade” A2s at Lackland were modified to A2 status by first changing out the FCG (and changing the markings on the lower), then slapping a complete A2 upper on them.  I would assume that Kelly’s M16s were upgraded the same way.  In other words, this upgrade didn’t require any barrel work - just changing out the upper.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was meaning that to changeout the upper requires a barrel removal.  Or do you mean they just pinned on a complete upper?   I’ve looked for the tech data to show how this was done but I can’t find it.  In the aircraft world it would’ve come as a TCTO, but I don’t know how it would’ve gone for armorers.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 12:51:39 AM EDT
[#42]
When our A1's at Lakenheath were upgraded to A2 they just put complete A2 uppers on the A1 lowers with A2 stocks, swapped fcg for burst and then took an engraver and scratched out auto and added burst.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 11:39:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I was meaning that to changeout the upper requires a barrel removal.  Or do you mean they just pinned on a complete upper?   I’ve looked for the tech data to show how this was done but I can’t find it.  In the aircraft world it would’ve come as a TCTO, but I don’t know how it would’ve gone for armorers.
View Quote
I believe it actually was a TCTO with a kit including the FCG and the upper.  I talked with the armorer guys at Lackland on a break during one of my (sadly very rare) M16 training sessions, and they said the uppers were just swapped out.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top