BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/15/2018 12:26:09 PM EDT
I have fairly pronounced astigmatism in both eyes. A 1 MOA red dot shows some blurring or "blobbing" of the reticle, which I know is expected.  However, at 1 MOA size it's ignorable and doesn't affect accuracy significantly for any red dot shooting I've done in the past.

I recently purchased a Meprolight Tru Dot, which has a 2 MOA dot.  The blurring is more pronounced than I had expected.  I really like this optic and it's features, but the dot doesn't look at all like a dot.

Should I live with the blur or send it back and try a different system?

Is there anything out there with motion sensitive on/off or extreme battery life that is a viable alternative?  I believe EOTech sights did not have this issue with astigmatism, but after their fiasco I'm leery to try them out.

This is for a "bump in the night" carbine, so I want a robust 1X illuminated sight I can leave on all the time with minimal concerns about battery replacement.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 12:31:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I ended up with a Vortex Spitfire after getting rid of Aimpoint and Eaotech
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 12:39:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I turn the light intensity down as much as I can and still see the dot.

If the dot is brighter than I need it to be, it starts to get blurry.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 12:43:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
If the illumination had a motion sensitive "on" feature I would have gone that route.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 12:46:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I turn the light intensity down as much as I can and still see the dot.

If the dot is brighter than I need it to be, it starts to get blurry.
View Quote
That has been my approach with some other 1 MOA (or maybe 1.5 MOA) dots.  But I found the Meprolight 2 MOA to be much more pronounced.  Perhaps a function of reticle size, also perhaps a function of the Meprolight optic.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 1:54:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 1:59:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Cheverons Im told are outstanding
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 2:09:24 PM EDT
[#7]
All red dot sights will look a little different and it depends on lens design, your eye and dot size.

Generally, larger dots look sharper if you have astigmatism, all else being equal.

With a larger dot, you can also turn the power down a bit further and still be able to see it, so that may help.

As far as precision goes, I tend to use the edge of the dot to aim, so I can get good precision with a larger dot.

Battery life has been pretty god with many modern red dots.  Astarted it, but many others do that as well now.  Holosun is a good budget option.  Personally, I really like Shield SIS and use it instead of Aimpoint.

Also, while there is pixellation, for precision holosights work better for me and I am very impressed with Vortex UH-1 in that role.

ILya
www.darklordofoptics.com
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 2:14:20 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote
Thanks.  Good thread.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 2:14:33 PM EDT
[#9]
For a HD rifle optic... It's more important to just be able to see the dot than perfect dot shape

Unless the dot blur is horrible and distracting, then pick the optic you like most and go with that.

Red dots are a little blurry to me, a bit misshapen... But not horribly so. It's enough to be a distraction at 100yds, but usable.

If I turn down the brightness, then it works fine, and it's ok on the range... Not so good in a defensive situation, where I need to find the dot quickly.

I live with it on my HD rifle. I just turn the brightness to a setting that shows up well, even against a bright wall with the flashlight running. I don't need pinpoint precision inside 25yds. The dot is still clear enough to do aimed shots to smaller points, like the head if need be.

I did purchase a Trillion 1.5x16 ACOG... I use it on one of my other rifles. I like it, but it isn't perfect either. I recently posted a review on it.

Sights like eotech, which use the laser projection... Those are less suseptable in my experience, but not free from distortion. I still see a slight amount through them. But I found the projection style a bit fuzzy on its own, even before I had astigmatism... So I am not a huge fan.

Another option I found, is the Meprolight M21 does not distort. It would be a good alternative... And no battery concerns... I believe other reflex sights that use fiber optic and tritium would work as well. For defense, having the fiber optic pointiled forward to pick up reflected light from a flashlight would probably be best.

I am also curious about battery powered reflex sights. I have a Vortex venom in the box at home, I should check it out and see if it works without distortion.

It could be that the reflex sights, with only their single lens, may not be affected by astigmatism.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 2:45:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 3:23:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I too have this problem. I think I am going to try absolute co-witness rear sight and try shooting through the aperture. When my BUIS are up the dot is about perfect.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 4:19:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I wear rx glasses, but my eyes are f*ck regardless. Nearsighted, astigmatism, I can't use any red dot/holo without blooming if not using glasses, most scopes don't work for me unless I'm wearing glasses too, including Acogs. I just live with it; my go to rifle wears a Comp M4s.

Quoted:
I too have this problem. I think I am going to try absolute co-witness rear sight and try shooting through the aperture. When my BUIS are up the dot is about perfect.
View Quote
This is the exact reason why I switched everything I have to absolute co-witness
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 4:20:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I wear rx glasses, but my eyes are f*ck regardless. Nearsighted, astigmatism, I can't use any red dot/holo without blooming if not using glasses, most scopes don't work for me unless I'm wearing glasses too, including Acogs. I just live with it; my go to rifle wears a Comp M4s.

This is the exact reason why I switched everything I have to absolute co-witness
View Quote
Scopes don't work for you?
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 4:30:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Scopes don't work for you?
View Quote
Not at all if I'm not wearing my RX, even with the ocular lens focus adjustment. Can see the image clearly THROUGH the scope, but the reticle is either a blur or almost invisible
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 5:17:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I've found the Primary Arms 3X Prism w/ ACSS to be an excellent alternative:  works for up-close, works for mid-range, works illuminated or not, chevron is awesome, etc. etc.  Really great, affordable optic.

I do have Holosun 503c red dot on a few rifles as well and, while I do get some blur/sunburst/etc., I find that turning down the brightness and squinting slightly with my non-aiming eye helps a lot.  Moving the dot forward on the rifle helped slightly as well.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 5:40:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Looking through the BUIS seems counter productive... It works at making the reticle more clear, but eliminates the whole purpose of having a red dot.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 5:47:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
+1 on the Vortex Spitfire - the etched reticule seems to reduce the blurring, even with the red illumination 'on'.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 6:21:48 PM EDT
[#18]
They wouldn't help in a "bump in the night scenario", but get a pair of quality polarized shades. It takes some of the fuzziness off the red dot, not a crystal clear dot, but it helps a little.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 6:59:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I deal with astigmatism as well. And different optics effect me differently, even with the same dot size.  I have an aimpoint T1 on my AR pistol and it works without a bad bloom or comet for me in most shooting applications. Bright sunlight, or when I have to turn it up high its very hard for me to use it. I see the RMR dots bot 3.5 and 6 MOA more clearly and "rounded" than I do my AImpoints. Eotechs don't burst on me either. Anything etched works great for me also.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 7:36:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Not at all if I'm not wearing my RX, even with the ocular lens focus adjustment. Can see the image clearly THROUGH the scope, but the reticle is either a blur or almost invisible
View Quote
When you adjust the diopter, you are adjusting for either the image or the reticle. They both can't be in focus.
I usually do the reticle at max magnification while pointed at the sky or a wall. Then I back out to 1x and adjust it again to be as close to 1x as possible. Then check it again at max magnification to see if the reticle is still clear enough.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 7:38:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I used red dots for 50yards and closer mainly but am confident out to 2-300yards with one as well.

I have found that my eyes like an Aimpoint 4moa dot best. It may be bigger than the 2moa dots but I see more of a dot vs a comma with many 2moa dots.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 7:45:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Looking through the BUIS seems counter productive... It works at making the reticle more clear, but eliminates the whole purpose of having a red dot.
View Quote
Depends on the type of shooting. For longer range shooting when you have the time using the rear sight to make the dot crisper would be great. For fast shooting it would be counter productive but in a shoot fast situation who really cares how crisp the dot is anyway.

My dots bloom a little bit and look more oval like a snowman than a dot. I'm still able to shoot more than accurate enough for defensive shooting out to 200yds so I don't worry about it. The problem I have is my corrective lenses cause me some problems by giving me a slight double image depending on how they are sitting on my face. squinting one eye fixes this but in order to keep both eyes open I need to have my glasses in the same spot to get a single image.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 10:02:05 PM EDT
[#23]
For home defense I just live with it.  Not going to take the time to put my glasses on if woken at 3am.  I’m more concerned about being able to identify things and people, so I have a bright light, and I need to be fast, so I have a red dot.  My HD 300BLK pistol has a Leupold DPP with the 7.5moa delta (and a TLR2G).  All it has to do is give me a fairly gross, “rounds go here”, point of aim at the short distances in my small suburban home.  I have the brightness turned all the way up so it’s not washed out when I activate the light in a dark room.  It doesn’t bother me one bit that it’s not a perfectly crisp triangle for this application.  My wife’s carbine has the Holosun RDS with ACSS reticle, and though a little blurry, it’s still quite useable at bad breath distances with the large horseshoe and what looks like, to me, a line down the middle. Tried the 1x Vortex Spitfire but just didn’t like the reticle or the eye box so sold it.  I found that it was slower for me than both a P4Xi (at 1x) and a PA 2.5X.
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 12:40:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

When you adjust the diopter, you are adjusting for either the image or the reticle. They both can't be in focus.
I usually do the reticle at max magnification while pointed at the sky or a wall. Then I back out to 1x and adjust it again to be as close to 1x as possible. Then check it again at max magnification to see if the reticle is still clear enough.
View Quote
I understand how it works. I should have clarified, the blur or practically invisible reticle is on Acogs. On every scope I have tried with an adjustable diopter, regardless of adjustment, I can get the reticle semi-focused but never get any reticle perfectly clear without corrective lenses
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 3:20:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Illuminated magnified prism optic.

Profit past 15 yards with front cap open. Profit at close range with front cap closed and illumination on low as astigmatism free occluded eye red dot.

I seriously can't recommend this enough. It's about 3" off at 25 yards, but that's better than my astigmatism with a red dot does, and it's repeatable unlike my astigmatism.
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 1:02:36 PM EDT
[#26]
I have pretty bad astigmatism and most standard red dots that I own including vortex, holosun, and aimpoint are pretty blurry. Eotech works much sharper for my eyes, as well as anything etched like acog or variable scope.
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 1:21:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Focusing on the target, rather than the dot/reticle, is key IME.

Shoot with both eyes open.
View Quote
Same opinion here.  You should be seeing a target with a dot on it, not a dot with a target behind it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 3:12:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Same opinion here.  You should be seeing a target with a dot on it, not a dot with a target behind it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Assuming every person with an astigmatism is just an idiot when it comes to shooting means you have no idea what you're posting about.

ETA: That sounded harsher than intended, but astigmatism is not a red dot noob problem like trying to one eye it. With both eyes open, I see three clear dots and a flare linking them all together. It really isn't an experience thing.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 9:21:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 9:34:12 AM EDT
[#30]
I live with it. It's NOT a presion optic.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 11:49:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Trijicon Reflex?

Is this a viable option?

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=RX34A-51
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 2:47:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It was a suggestion based on personal experience.

Alot of guys that I talk to immediately jump to "OMG! My reticle/dot is not gnat's ass clear, I have an astigmatism!"

When, in fact, they are attempting to focus on the reticle/dot. Enough so that a good friend of mine was about to sell his new Eotech because of it. There is not a damn thing wrong with his eyes or the optic.

I never assumed anyone an idiot.
View Quote
You're assuming that people are shooting with one eye closed and they don't have an astigmatism. I think asking that, rather than assuming people with an astigmatism lack experience, is a better approach.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 2:50:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I have fairly pronounced astigmatism in both eyes. A 1 MOA red dot shows some blurring or "blobbing" of the reticle, which I know is expected.  However, at 1 MOA size it's ignorable and doesn't affect accuracy significantly for any red dot shooting I've done in the past.

I recently purchased a Meprolight Tru Dot, which has a 2 MOA dot.  The blurring is more pronounced than I had expected.  I really like this optic and it's features, but the dot doesn't look at all like a dot.

Should I live with the blur or send it back and try a different system?

Is there anything out there with motion sensitive on/off or extreme battery life that is a viable alternative?  I believe EOTech sights did not have this issue with astigmatism, but after their fiasco I'm leery to try them out.

This is for a "bump in the night" carbine, so I want a robust 1X illuminated sight I can leave on all the time with minimal concerns about battery replacement.
View Quote
I have an astigmatism in both eyes. My vision is relatively ok. I'm able to function just fine without contact lenses or glasses as long as I'm not doing computer work or trying to read road signs at night. With that being said, I wear contacts or prescription glasses when using my red dots. I can still shoot them fine without either, but the dot is not as solid of course. Anytime I'm hunting or shooting I have in contacts. I wouldn't have a problem using a red dot in self defense without contacts/glasses, but wouldn't do it if I knew in advance shit was gonna hit the fan.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 2:52:02 PM EDT
[#34]
I also shoot with both eyes open, which seems to make the dot more crisp for me
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 3:08:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 3:37:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
And this isn't assuming?

If that and arguing is all you have to offer, no need to respond. I wasn't looking to stir up drama, but there's much more to an astigmatism than you realize. Had you asked it may have been a productive approach, but just assuming everyone with an astigmatism is shooting improperly is not helping.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 3:53:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 4:12:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Read the damn post linked above...mainly the part where "squinting one eye helps " is mentioned.

My post was not directed at EVERY poster here. FFS!

We get it, it may not work for you in your set of circumstances. Like I said,  I never claimed to be an optician or have total insight into the issues associated with astigmatism.

And it seems that the only one "arguing" here is you. Go stir shit elsewhere. No point in derailing the OP's thread any more than you have.
View Quote
Then I apologize if I took that out of context.

Having to give up on red dots all together is frustrating to say the least. If it makes you feel any better, I wish shooting with one eye closed was my problem.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 4:38:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 11:16:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 9:36:47 PM EDT
[#41]
I just deal with it up close for speed and unobstructed view with both eyes open but if I am aiming at distance for accuracy flipping up my rear sight with small aperture works great. It takes a 8 MOA starburst down to a nice 2 MOA dot.  It works.

I have been thinking hard about the TA44 ACSS for just this reason, the extra .5 magnification might help also.  Just a lot of cash for 1.5x
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 11:59:07 AM EDT
[#42]
I've learn to live with it but it is nice and clear when I slip my glasses on.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 1:20:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I've learn to live with it but it is nice and clear when I slip my glasses on.
View Quote
I can't see my red dot without glasses on

Since the only time I ever have any problems with optics are with red dots, I just live with it. Red dots aren't made to be shot out at range. Since you're using red dots at close range, the star burst doesn't really change much. The only time I have a problem with red dots is when I try to zero them.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 4:28:08 PM EDT
[#44]
I gave up on red dots. The blur was just awful. I switched to a Steiner p4xi. The dot in the center of the reticle is aimpoint bright if I need it. Most the the time my weapon light illuminates the target so well that the tapered cross hair draws my eyes right in. Plus I have the option to shoot longer distances and it is lighter than an magnifier combo.  The field of view at 1x is much bigger at than a red dot allowing me to see more of the target. I will be getting a razor he 2 or pst 2 for my next rifle.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 7:47:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Leupold vxr patrol 1.25x4. Motion activated very small dot. For me it is always clear. Vortex etc red dots always blurry.  I think the Leupold is a fiber optic dot? Not a projected dot? Could be wrong.

Anyway 1.25 is plenty usable close range if practice and both eyes open.  Liked it so much I have 2 of them and bought the 2-7 version for my deer rifle.

Started both eyes open with handgun. Now both open for everything including scopes.

Recently took a chance and bought an aimpoint Comp m5! Love it! I assume it’s quality is making the difference between it and the cheap ass vortex etc I’ve tried in the past.

Eotech I can’t see the center dot at all! I’m a little color blind too. For some reason I can’t use an eotech at all!
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 8:52:16 PM EDT
[#46]
I look at my target and not the dot and it goes perfect circle
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 1:09:33 AM EDT
[#47]
For an HD rifle deal with the blur-dot.  At self defense ranges you gain no advantage with a crisp reticle.  It may be frustrating but the reality remains that inside 50m even a firey dot is light years better than an optic that require proper eye placement.

I have an astigmatism.  All eyes are different but in order from best- worst out of the dots I've tried:

Best:
Leupold Delta Point pro
DI optical FC1 prismatic
primary arms / Aimpoint / Trijicon RMR (all about equal)
EOTech
Worst
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 1:17:04 AM EDT
[#48]
if you have astigmatism wear corrective contacts or glasses

if you wear contacts or not, and shoot with polarized sunglasses, the big red blurry dot will be a pin point, try it
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 1:40:22 AM EDT
[#49]
I have astigmatism and dont wear glasses and contacts, docs never picked it up and i have pretty good vision, my first gun had a trs25 and it took me while to notice it. I can still see the dot fine , my problems are st low light
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 6:36:23 AM EDT
[#50]
I have an astigmatism, and gave up on EOTechs....they are by far my favorite non-magnified optic, and I really prefer the reticle, but the big blurry mess it becomes makes them unusable. Now, I use either MRO's, ACOG's, or Vortex 1-4x on my AR's.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top