BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/7/2020 7:47:34 PM EDT
Who makes the best one for a wrong handed person?
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 8:11:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 8:46:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the botach norgon clone.  I have like 10 and all work perfectly.  For the piece you can get 3 for one of the fcd ones.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 8:53:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

So which one is better, standard or long?
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 9:03:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Anybody tried the JP one?
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 9:10:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I like Knights

Knights Ambi
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 9:23:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Best at any cost?

LMT part#M7SL

Their ambi mag release comes with a free receiver, ambi safety, and the nicest ambi bolt catch/release I’ve seen.

There’s a few up for auction on gunbroker. I don’t know of any retailers with stock.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 10:02:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Norgon Ambi-Catch is the only way.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 10:04:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Norgon Ambi-Catch is the only way.
View Quote

DITTO
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 10:54:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is in the description.

For users with small hands or shorter fingers, the extended reach lever makes the EMR-A a joy to use.  For duty and defense ARs, we recommend the standard lever.

I have the standard dimpled version and it works well for me. I stand 5'6".

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 11:17:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Norgon for the simplicity. It took me a little bit to get used to using it, being right-handed. Left handed dominant shooters should find it pretty easy to use.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 11:19:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Arms Unlimited, $25.00, works perfectly.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 11:24:57 PM EDT
[#12]

This my dad's a lefty and has been swapping all his norgons out. Standard for med hands . Ext for little hands.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 11:36:29 PM EDT
[#13]
The extended lever was what EMR-A designed with.  In testing, the lever is easy to use and solves Norgon's problem of being impossibly stiff when there's a fully loaded mag present, but it does its job too well.  Yes that can be a thing.

We reduced the length by 0.09" and that became the now standard lever.  The dimpled lever is even shorter, both are purposely made harder to press with the included 10.9 in/lb spring, which is about 30% stiffer than TDP spec springs.

In 2019, we standardized on the LP (low profile) shaft, the shaft is shorter by one full revolution of the mag catch so the button on the right side sits lower, below the mag button fence.  This was done to mitigate unintended/accidental mag drops.  The shorter shaft and stiffer spring together make EMR-A's lever stiffer, which is exactly what we want, as EMR-A's lever is unprotected, true of any externally pivoting lever ambi mag catch.  Our lower will have a fence for EMR-A's lever.

I believe only KAC, Norgon and we had taken mechanical advantage into account and taken steps to address it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 11:40:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

x2
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 12:02:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

x2
View Quote

Since you guys mentioned this, the Arms Unlimited ($25) and Battle Steel ambi mag release ($20) are both aftermarket version of the Norgon Ambi-Catch ($72). While I like my Norgon, I also have a couple Botach and Arms Unlimited. I prefer the Botach BattlenSteel version, which has a much better "polished" DLC type finish. Not exactly sure what finish they use. They have a more robust G2 version for 308.

I understand Botach is like poison here, but the above is strictly my opinion having owned multiple of all 3.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 12:11:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Standard IMO
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 6:59:14 AM EDT
[#17]
I prefer the Troy, simply because it’s the only one I’ve found that has the lever towards the bottom, creating more clearance space between it and any enhanced bolt catch you may want to use.

I do think it’s overpriced, but it’s the only one I’ve found to my liking.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 7:41:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Norgon.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 8:13:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Radian 45/90 deg
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 9:43:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Radian 45/90 deg
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/8/2020 11:09:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

x2
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

x2

x3.  Never used any other, but don't really see the need to pay more for one of the others, in consideration to functionality only. Just my opinion, but it doesn't need to be any more than what it already is: I can reach it just fine with my finger, it doesn't require extra leverage to depress, and it's a whopping $25. The only issue I have with it, or any ambi mag release for that matter, is that years of muscle memory still has me using my supporting hand to drop a mag.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 11:33:41 AM EDT
[#22]
18 doll hairs

GET15 might work for 15% off
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 3:06:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I like Knights

Knights Ambi
View Quote

Am I looking at that right, the large button is so you can slap it with your right hand palm?
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 8:50:03 PM EDT
[#24]
FCD might interfere with the links for KNS pins.  I had to dremel the paddle of mine to get it to clear.  went back to Norgon and Norgon clones.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 9:12:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Am I looking at that right, the large button is so you can slap it with your right hand palm?
View Quote

Yes, it’s big
I only have it on 3 carbines, and it’s sure easy to find
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 9:30:44 PM EDT
[#26]
As a rule, we do not advocate the use of anti walk pins, incompatibility with them is known and acceptable to us.  Also as a rule, I refuse to buy or recommend any trigger that can't hold its hammer and trigger pins without external help.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 4:57:04 PM EDT
[#27]
FCD

#FCDAllTheThings

Have Duffy call me
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 6:16:18 PM EDT
[#28]
FCD.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 6:38:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Have Duffy call me
View Quote

He probably would too if someone had a question or concern, just another reason why FCD is crème de la crème. Top notch across the board.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 7:14:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

He probably would too if someone had a question or concern, just another reason why FCD is crème de la crème. Top notch across the board.
View Quote

Oh, I dont doubt it. Hes always replied to anything Ive asked in multiple threads and Ive never read a bad thing about them, so I decided to use as many of their parts as I could on mu UU build.

And I love the 1am dings from my phone after placing an evening order saying its already shipped
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 7:38:29 PM EDT
[#31]
My number and email address are on our site, won't post my email addy here in case it violates arfcom rules, it's on the About Us page on our site
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 7:39:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Oh, I dont doubt it. Hes always replied to anything Ive asked in multiple threads and Ive never read a bad thing about them, so I decided to use as man of their parts as I could on mu UU build.

And I love the 1am dings from my phone after placing an evening order saying its already shipped
View Quote

The shipping monkey only knows one speed. Ludicrous speed.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 8:05:22 PM EDT
[#33]
I have a Norgon and it is reliable.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 8:11:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Norgon
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 12:42:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The shipping monkey only knows one speed. Ludicrous speed.
View Quote

but with more ducks.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 1:09:05 AM EDT
[#36]
FCD for just about anything related to peripheral receiver parts.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 10:04:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 6:33:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

we don't talk about the ducks outside of the pond!

tacos are ok, but not the ducks
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 6:37:26 PM EDT
[#39]
I have the SIG ambi release on 2 of my rifles. I like them.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 6:44:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Got the FCD and one of these. If they work ok I'll probably put them on all of my other rifles besides my HD/SHTF which is getting the FCD.

I wanted the knights but it seems like it's made for right handed people.  How far back it sits seems like you'd have to move your index finger back and your grip. But for a righty you could just use your thumb, which is nice. But seems a bit ackward for a lefty, it just doesn't seem to "flow"right
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 7:28:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Will a FCD work with a Geissele bolt catch
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 8:44:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, they have compatibility issues.
The Geissele Maritime Bolt Catch will work with Norgon, KAC, or Troy ambi mag releases.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 12:26:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, but it gives you a reason to get their matching bolt catch.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 1:50:36 PM EDT
[#44]
I like the Troy mag release with the Geissele Maritime Bolt Catch, but I don’t have experience with the other setups.

Link Posted: 10/11/2020 4:07:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Troy
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 5:55:06 PM EDT
[#46]
The FCD is pretty sweet. I stuck with the stock spring and seems to work ok. I'm guessing the extra weight spring more so for right handed shooters and slapping against their body?

The arms unlimited is ok, definitely worth the price in relation to the FCD. It is a bit more "touchy" but definitely glad I got it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 6:34:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Don't all the top ones recommended here pivot off the receiver?  Isn't that a design flaw, at least compared to Norgon?  SLR makes one similar to Norgon.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 7:49:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Don't all the top ones recommended here pivot off the receiver?  Isn't that a design flaw, at least compared to Norgon?  SLR makes one similar to Norgon.
View Quote

How's that?
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 8:06:21 PM EDT
[#49]
When EMR-A was designed, Norgon still had its patent.  When it went to production, the patent had expired, but we had no intention of making a Norgon clone even when we could.  The "pivot on the plate" design offers good protection against unintended/accidental mag release, but the lever is short and there's really no getting around it.  The short lever is impossible to press except with a thumb when there's a full magazine in the gun, we addressed that with a much more user friendly lever.

The pivot on the receiver design does give us the freedom re: shape and length of the lever.  That it pivots off the receiver isn't a concern to us, but the lever isn't as well protected is, thus the inclusion of a stiffer spring.  Combined with a shorter shaft (1 full revolution of the mag catch shorter so the right side button sits lower below the mag release fence), both the left and right side mag release is noticeably stiffer, we did this to mitigate unintended/accidental mag drops.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 12:20:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

How's that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How's that?

Pivoting off the receiver can eventually wear thru the anodizing.  Sure, it will take many cycles to wear thru.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top