Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/30/2014 9:49:21 PM EDT
I have the ferfrans on my 10.3. Runs great, just am wondering if there are some other good options that aren't nearly as heavy. I like the idea of the black river tactical one being really minimalistic. Who is leading the pack in this category?
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 11:09:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the look of the KAW precision more than any other linear comp.
Not terribly heavy at 2.9 oz, too.
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 11:19:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I ordered a couple of those BRT fluted, one for the .308.  They claim them to be the same weight as an A2, and I think they look a bit nicer than some of those behemoths out there.

We shall see.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 4:33:00 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I like the look of the KAW precision more than any other linear comp.

Not terribly heavy at 2.9 oz, too.
View Quote
+1

Link Posted: 5/31/2014 6:23:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Hera arms linear comps look pretty badass haven't used one but they probably work well and I have the claymore on 7.5 and really like it
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 7:39:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Anyone have experience shooting the BRT?
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 8:32:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I am running the KAW Valley.  She is nice, sleek, and slim.  Honestly I really don't get what everyone's fascination with the Ferfranz muzzle device is.  To me it has always just looked big and bulky....  
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 8:49:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm using a Troy Claymore on my 10.5" upper. I just built a 7.5" upper and decided to go with a STD (Simple Threaded Device) linear muzzle comp. It's very slim (.93" diameter), 1.66" long, and weighs 2.2oz.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 10:59:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm using a Troy Claymore on my 10.5" upper. I just built a 7.5" upper and decided to go with a STD (Simple Threaded Device) linear muzzle comp. It's very slim (.93" diameter), 1.66" long, and weighs 2.2oz.
View Quote

How does it shoot in regards to side blast?
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 12:01:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have that MD on a 300 BO. Oh.. and a 5.56 AR Performance barrel. Recoil reduction is better than naked barrel or a A2 FS. But what it is very good at is limiting flash and projecting the blast forward.  Of course the multi-port comp does a better job at recoil reduction (but it is LOUD).

The Black River linear is by no way ear safe (read a no ear plugs entry here) but it does not knock out your shooting buddies eyes if shooting side by side (10.5" barrel). Does look nice.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 6:56:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have that MD on a 300 BO. Oh.. and a 5.56 AR Performance barrel. Recoil reduction is better than naked barrel or a A2 FS. But what it is very good at is limiting flash and projecting the blast forward.  Of course the multi-port comp does a better job at recoil reduction (but it is LOUD).

The Black River linear is by no way ear safe (read a no ear plugs entry here) but it does not knock out your shooting buddies eyes if shooting side by side (10.5" barrel). Does look nice.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would an a2 or dedicated flash hider blow the person next to you's socks off? I read this article and the 51t blackout and be Meyers both were measured as being quieter than the std. From your personal experience, is the std quiter and better flash reduction than an a2? Here's the article
http://vuurwapenblog.com/2014/01/12/ar-15-muzzle-device-comparison/
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 7:01:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 7:13:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I am very pleased with the Kies Master Blaster on my 10.5" SBR.

My experience is limited to this, the A2, and the Noveske KX3.

Link Posted: 6/2/2014 7:17:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Would an a2 or dedicated flash hider blow the person next to you's socks off? I read this article and the 51t blackout and be Meyers both were measured as being quieter than the std. From your personal experience, is the std quiter and better flash reduction than an a2? Here's the article
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.  My Vortex, Rainier, and A2s are pleasant for the shooter next door.  I am only getting the linears for my short barrels, and the .308

I will post about my purchase from BRT, waiting for a shipping confirmation.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 7:39:49 PM EDT
[#14]
My M4-2000 does a good job and doesn't piss off others at the range
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 8:14:27 PM EDT
[#15]

This comp. looks awesome. But it weighs 7.5oz..
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 8:57:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

No.  My Vortex, Rainier, and A2s are pleasant for the shooter next door.  I am only getting the linears for my short barrels, and the .308

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was referring to how an a2 or vortex type would be to neighborng shooters on an sbr. A brake is obvious how it would be, but if a linear comp ismt necessary and they are t bad with flash hiders I think I'd rather get the huge flash reduction. Maybe that's what u were referring to also?
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 9:06:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I was referring to how an a2 or vortex type would be to neighborng shooters on an sbr. A brake is obvious how it would be, but if a linear comp ismt necessary and they are t bad with flash hiders I think I'd rather get the huge flash reduction. Maybe that's what u were referring to also?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The fireball from an SBR is certainly intimidating with a flashhider.  I have seen them move to another stall, for sure
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 9:21:25 PM EDT
[#18]
they all do basically the same thing- which ever is the lightest

edit- i had exaclty one person complain about the concussion of my a2 (on a 16" mid length barrel)

Link Posted: 6/6/2014 11:07:14 PM EDT
[#19]
I just spun the BRT onto the .308, taking it out in the morning, and I will give a report vs. the Claymore.  Likely similar.  One thing for sure, this thing looks WAY better, and is well made.

The 5.56 is going on my 12.5 commando, and I am still waiting for the stamp

They look great
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 8:11:23 AM EDT
[#20]
This one intrigues me - not as effective as some others, perhaps, but still able to take a bayonet:

http://www.blackrivertactical.com/concrete5/covert-comp/

Know nothing about it other than the web page & someone on Night Crew mentioned them for their overgassed correction kit.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 10:14:03 AM EDT
[#21]

7.5 oz
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 1:09:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

7.5 oz
View All Quotes

What's wrong with 7.5 oz?
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 2:18:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Just got back from the range.  I am a fan of the BRT on my .308

My buddy commented that it was much more pleasant to be next to than the guy on the other side of him who was shooting an M1A.

Felt recoil might be a bit less than the Claymore, but it is definitely smaller, and looks a hell of a lot less retarded than the Claymore.

I put 250 rounds out of it today, more than I typically do on a range trip with the .308, but I just love my new Trijicon Accupoint though

I suppose I could take pics of the dirty bitch.

ETA Pics!

Link Posted: 6/7/2014 2:56:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here, sort of. 16" ARP .223 Wylde with the BRT and I get the same impression. I really like it and it looks nice.

Link Posted: 6/7/2014 4:51:34 PM EDT
[#25]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here, sort of. 16" ARP .223 Wylde with the BRT and I get the same impression. I really like it and it looks nice.

http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy172/pavlovwolf/2014-06/B27B5D8D-1731-43AD-9AFE-BCC1830DB6C0_zpskriggak2.jpg

http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy172/pavlovwolf/photobucket-7432-1396560366407_zps0ffb1585.jpg

Damn I'm tempted to try one of these for my shorty
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 5:41:28 PM EDT
[#26]
I put a Levang comp on my MK18 pistol upper.

Cons:

• not as effective as most ported comps

• it's boring looking

• industrial black oxide finish (I think)

• doesn't have wrench flats, so you'll need to improvise or buy one of these

Pros:

• doesn't throw flames, at least from the shooter's POV

• it doesn't produce much noise on the firing line

• not as heavy or bulky as some

• it's only $30, maybe less if you shop around

Visible flash in daylight.

. . . but at least it's better than this.

Palmetto State Armory Pigsticker Comp (BattleComp knock-off)

The A2 flash-hider actually didn't work very well either, but I didn't take any video of it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 6:29:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Seriously? That's 1/2 a pound on the end of your rifle. You might as well tie a brick to the muzzle!
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 6:52:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy172/pavlovwolf/2014-06/B27B5D8D-1731-43AD-9AFE-BCC1830DB6C0_zpskriggak2.jpg

http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy172/pavlovwolf/photobucket-7432-1396560366407_zps0ffb1585.jpg

Shot 10.5" barrels with A2 type MD. Yea... they are fine, in bright sunlight. They really SUCK in a room and even with good ear pro the suck when you are next to someone shooting in a room.

Traded out kids A2 type for the Kaw valley linear (on a 11.5" now) and it is so much better on flash and blast. And I did not have to do any indoor shooting to notice the difference.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 9:38:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Seriously? That's 1/2 a pound on the end of your rifle. You might as well tie a brick to the muzzle!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does half a pound on the end of your rifle prevent someone from doing? Suppressors are around 18oz
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 1:08:20 AM EDT
[#30]
did anyone mentin the KAK cone shaped things.  They are big and aluminium, about 4 oz IIRC for the slip lime.  

Ballistic advantave also make one, the Kuna.

I like my KAK one on my 5.45 upper.
ETA PIC:
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 1:10:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Just got back from the range.  I am a fan of the BRT on my .308

My buddy commented that it was much more pleasant to be next to than the guy on the other side of him who was shooting an M1A.

Felt recoil might be a bit less than the Claymore, but it is definitely smaller, and looks a hell of a lot less retarded than the Claymore.

I put 250 rounds out of it today, more than I typically do on a range trip with the .308, but I just love my new Trijicon Accupoint though

I suppose I could take pics of the dirty bitch.

ETA Pics!
http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h385/alaskaLTZ/DSC00001_zpsafb030a6.jpg
http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h385/alaskaLTZ/DSC00006_zpscf7d9ed8.jpg
http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h385/alaskaLTZ/DSC00004_zpscd7fe6a8.jpg
View Quote

might have to sell my claymore if this i slighter.  Anyting 30 cal options any lighter, besides thred protectors lol.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 1:11:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

What does half a pound on the end of your rifle prevent someone from doing? Suppressors are around 18oz
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

okay.  your are right.  very well then.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 1:12:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I put a Levang comp on my MK18 pistol upper.

Cons:

• not as effective as most ported comps

• it's boring looking

• industrial black oxide finish (I think)

• doesn't have wrench flats, so you'll need to improvise or buy one of these

Pros:

• doesn't throw flames, at least from the shooter's POV

• it doesn't produce much noise on the firing line

• not as heavy or bulky as some

• it's only $30, maybe less if you shop around

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-5lE8yT6Jc3s/U0m0oB3dZPI/AAAAAAAAAt8/gyhkrEtidcA/s1600/PistolwBrace.jpg
View Quote

i've that one too.  lack of flats pisses me off.  makes it hard to swap for a suppressor.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 1:15:55 AM EDT
[#34]
so what is the lightest in both 22 and 30 cal?  The simply threaded device doens't look that light.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 1:19:05 AM EDT
[#35]

what does this weight?  less or more in 30 cal???
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 4:59:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Suppressors also provide a 30 DB sound reduction.

7.5 oz is ridiculous given that the other devices listed here provide the same function at significantly less weight.  HERA is just going for "BUHT IT LOOKZ KOOL!" market segment.

A 4x ACOG (TA31) weighs 14 oz with mount.  Would you rather have one that weighs 14 oz or one that weighs 42 oz (3x) but looks cool?
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 6:02:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
http://simplethreadeddevices.com/f-std/556std_%20black.png

what does this weight?  less or more in 30 cal???
View Quote

This is the one I have my eye on. It looks good, but can't find the weight anywhere.

ETA: Amazon says the shipping weight is 3.5oz.. Not that that figure is correct most of the time. But I'd say it's probably pretty close.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 7:18:13 AM EDT
[#38]
IIRC, I think the STD is 2.3 oz.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 11:32:28 AM EDT
[#39]
so the BRT is the lightest in both 22 and 30 cal then?
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 12:21:48 PM EDT
[#40]
I am trying to remember where I saw the picture of the Krink can (aluminum) that was slit in two (blown open) with such force it damaged the free float tube.

Now I have shot one in AK 47 pistol (7.62x39mm) and it was quite good at recoil reduction. But It had a large fire ball (visible to bystanders in daylight) that was pushed about two or three feet in front of the muzzle.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 3:28:08 PM EDT
[#41]

Link

I like the looks of this and from the video's I have seen it looks to work pretty well.

I did some searching and there was only one post from this site about it with no reply...
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 4:14:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/DSC_0661-660x438.jpg

Link

I like the looks of this and from the video's I have seen it looks to work pretty well.

I did some searching and there was only one post from this site about it with no reply...
View Quote

Though, this does look "Kool". I don't think it can be considered linear with the gas vents on the sides.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 4:39:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/DSC_0661-660x438.jpg

Link

View Quote

You have no idea what a "linear compensator" is, do you?
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 6:15:25 PM EDT
[#44]
@fooboy

How do you know that they all function just as well as the other.  Isn't it possible that one that is heavier could be better at redirecting blast than the other?  I would def agree that if they both function exactly the same, then the added weight is not worth it.  But if there is an added benefit in the one that ways more, one shouldn't write it off as being worse because it weighs more.  I run the ferfrans CRD which is 10 oz altogether.  Is that heavy, hell ya.  It allows for only a 10% reduction in effectiveness of the full auto muzzle brake, yet throwing most of the sound forward.  To me, the 10oz on the end is barely worth it.  That is why I started this thread, because I am debating changing to something lighter, or even a flash hider.  Side blast is a big concern for me as is muzzle flash.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 7:00:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
so the BRT is the lightest in both 22 and 30 cal then?
View Quote

Not sure about the 22 version. The weight I posted was for the 30 version. I would venture to say they are about the same, though. If anything the 30 version may be a little lighter due to the larger thread. I could be wrong.

I haven't found anything concrete on either of them. I may just order one of each anyway to see how well they perform. Then we'll know for sure, and can post something in the LW thread.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 7:01:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 9:06:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I use a levang on my 11.5.  Noise and blast reduction is significant.  I have no need to get something "tactical" looking
View Quote

WHAT??? Dude it is not how practical, or how it works, It all about How it LOOKs.... that's Tacti-cool.

Link Posted: 6/9/2014 9:11:32 AM EDT
[#48]
So how many "linear" types are out there?

There are the cans:
Krink
Noveski 3 and 5    These 3 are good for directing blast and noise but big flash.

The small diameter ports in front:
Levang
Kaw Valley
Black River Tactical
Troy Claymore

Kies Blast Master

Hera Arms (that German one for big$$%)

What others?

Link Posted: 6/9/2014 9:48:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

There are the cans:
Krink
Noveski 3 and 5    
Kak Flash Can

These 3 4 are good for directing blast and noise but big flash.

Levang
Kaw Valley
Black River Tactical
Troy Claymore

What others?
View Quote

Seems that Hera is so expensive b/c of ITAR, German Arms laws, and the European market has little competition - it's a very small civilian arms market compared to the US.  If some of our bigger players set up shop over there they'd make a small killing.  European kit is usually very good, but often not good value for money.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 10:02:14 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

There are the cans:
Krink
Noveski 3 and 5    These 3 are good for directing blast and noise but big flash.

Levang
Kaw Valley
Black River Tactical
Troy Claymore

What others?

View Quote

You can add the Kies Blast Master to the list...

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top