BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/23/2019 7:56:39 PM EDT
I am looking for an optic for $1000 or less to use on a AR pistol for home defense that will be easy for my eyes to pick up. I don’t want one where I have to pause to stare down a scope.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 8:48:13 PM EDT
[#1]
eotech exps3
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 8:49:57 PM EDT
[#2]
There're going to be a ton a great RDS suggestions, but I would like to suggest the Primary Arms Cyclops 1x or Vortex Spitfire 1x prismatics.

I personally use the Gen 1 Vortex Spitifires (model 1301, NON AR model) and can recommend them if you're willing to hunt one down.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 8:53:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Some sort of red dot optic is what you want. I'm a fan of Aimpoint personally. Eotech is also good as well.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 8:58:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 9:40:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Vortex UH1
Aimpoint T1/T2 or H1/H2
Aimpoint Pro
Trijicon MRO
Eotech EXPS
Aimpoint Comp M4/5

All are well within your budget.  Select one that fits your needs, but all are more than capable.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 10:08:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Vortex UH1
Aimpoint T1/T2 or H1/H2
Aimpoint Pro
Trijicon MRO
Eotech EXPS
Aimpoint Comp M4/5

All are well within your budget.  Select one that fits your needs, but all are more than capable.
View Quote
Eotech ... any model.
500 series or EXPS/XPS (transverse battery compartment) all just as reliable. Years ago may have shown issues with the 500 series but those issues are in the past.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 11:01:36 PM EDT
[#7]
First post does it again
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 11:52:19 PM EDT
[#8]
T2 or Comp m5 whichever battery type you prefer.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 9:33:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Aimpoint
Eotech
LPVO

All personal preference
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 9:54:51 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm sure any recommendations in here will serve you well.

I prefer the MRO.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 5:52:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Eotech, it's as fast to get on target as it gets in the RDS game.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 6:04:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.

My second favorite is MRO.

I don’t care what anyone says, I’ve run reaction time drills at 7 and 10 yards and the Aimpoint Micro objective and FOV is too small for me. Both eyes open is not an excuse. I shoot all optics both eyes open.

Window size is key if fast CQB shooting is priority.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 8:16:07 PM EDT
[#13]
IDF Elbit Falcon from 1990s...just saying
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 8:23:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This.

I don’t care what anyone says, I’ve run reaction time drills at 7 and 10 yards and the Aimpoint Micro objective and FOV is too small for me. Both eyes open is not an excuse. I shoot all optics both eyes open.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.

Some practice makes the point moot for many.  I work on closing my eyes and snapping the rifle up, open eyes, and I’m square on the dot every time. I can see where the larger windows are nice, though, with the MRO, I’d be wary of parallax
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 8:36:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Aimpoint Micro, Trijicon MRO, or if on a budget, Holosun HS503GU.  Aside from Eotechs being big and bulky, the majority I’ve owned have sucked down the battery when not in use.  Half the time I would go to turn it on, it wouldn’t work.  Will never buy another.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 9:55:53 PM EDT
[#16]
duplicate
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 10:16:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Another vote for Eotech. Fast as it gets. Proven and a damn good value for the 512s these days.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 11:16:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Another vote for Eotech. Fast as it gets. Proven and a damn good value for the 512s these days.
View Quote
FiL had one die in a safe...sitting doing nothing.  The 512 would be the last EoT I'd buy
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 11:39:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

FiL had one die in a safe...sitting doing nothing.  The 512 would be the last EoT I'd buy
View Quote
Yeah with a budget like OPs I'd at least spring for XPS or EXPS though I do like my Vortex UH1
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 11:42:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
eotech exps3
View Quote
This. I love mine! I do like the Trijicon MRO's as well, but my eyes seem to pick up the EoTech a little quicker.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 1:46:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
My exps2 has been flawless, 17" production date. I'd pick up a new production 512 no problem if I needed another RDS. Besides, I've seen M4s, Patrols, MROs, and RMRs die, they're all susceptible to failure.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 2:44:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

My exps2 has been flawless, 17" production date. I'd pick up a new production 512 no problem if I needed another RDS. Besides, I've seen M4s, Patrols, MROs, and RMRs die, they're all susceptible to failure.
View Quote
Uh....
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 3:13:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Since Aimpoint and Eotech have already been covered, I’ll throw in Holosun. The 510c will have the largest window from the Holosun offerings. Advantages include...

-Auto-wake (pick up the rifle, and it’s ready to go)
-50k hour battery life
-Solar power backup
-3 reticle choices in one

About 1/4 of your budget. Leaves a lot of money leftover for ammo, training, accessories, etc.

While I don’t own a 510c, I’ve got a few Holosun optics. Been perfectly reliable for me, and I’ll continue to buy more. My favorite is the 503g. It’s basically the same size as an Aimpoint T1/T2. Has all of the above features; minus the solar. Reticles are also little different. Which is what I like it for. Chevron and horseshoe for close up work. 1 MOA BDC dots below the chevron to get you out to 600. Paired with a magnifier, it’s absolutely awesome.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 7:49:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Aimpoint Micro, Trijicon MRO, or if on a budget, Holosun HS503GU.  Aside from Eotechs being big and bulky, the majority I’ve owned have sucked down the battery when not in use.  Half the time I would go to turn it on, it wouldn’t work.  Will never buy another.
View Quote
I’ve had similar experience with Eotech. With the OP’s budget I’d vote Aimpoint T2/H2 or MRO. Compact, light, and seem to last forever.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 8:20:48 AM EDT
[#25]
There us nothing better than an EOTech for the purpose you describe.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 8:36:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Since Aimpoint and Eotech have already been covered, I’ll throw in Holosun. The 510c will have the largest window from the Holosun offerings. Advantages include...

-50k hour battery life
-Solar power backup

About 1/4 of your budget. Leaves a lot of money leftover for ammo, training, accessories, etc.

While I don’t own a 510c, I’ve got a few Holosun optics. Been perfectly reliable for me, and I’ll continue to buy more. My favorite is the 503g. It’s basically the same size as an Aimpoint T1/T2. Has all of the above features; minus the solar. Reticles are also little different. Which is what I like it for. Chevron and horseshoe for close up work. 1 MOA BDC dots below the chevron to get you out to 600. Paired with a magnifier, it’s absolutely awesome.
View Quote
This is what I have for my HD 300 8.3". FOV is great, and I love the reticle. Essentially for the applications its in, it wont be taking a beating or getting thrown around and beat up like a potential SHTF scenario. Paired with all the torture tests on Holosun products that are out there, and a lot of great feedback on Holosun models from varied shooting sports competitors, Im confident in the 510C for the role Ive placed it in. Worst case, its got a QD mount so it can be ripped off and BUIS are right there.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 8:52:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Aimpoint
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 9:54:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes nothing is immune to failure. It’s just how it died.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 1:18:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Aimpoint M4S or PRO, absolute cowitness with a fixed front sight, be it the A2 FSP or a Daniel Defense mounted on a rail.

My reasoning behind this is if you have reticle washout, battery dies, optic dies you can use the Aimpoint as a big ghost ring centering the fsp and you can still reliably make hits at across the room, down the hall, etc. distances.

I had a Bushnell TRS die once in a match. That stage had very short distances and I only had a few targets left when it died. I finished it using the above technique, instead of wasting time flipping up my rear sight, with 100% A zone hits.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 2:21:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

-50k hour battery life
-Solar power backup

View Quote
On my PCC I have the 510C, for the $ spent it is a good optic. Shake awake, good battery life. What kills the EoTech for a home defense optic is no shake awake or quick way to turn it on and battery life is not very good to leave on all the time like an Aimpoint or even the 510C.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 2:47:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

On my PCC I have the 510C, for the $ spent it is a good optic. Shake awake, good battery life. What kills the EoTech for a home defense optic is no shake awake or quick way to turn it on and battery life is not very good to leave on all the time like an Aimpoint or even the 510C.
View Quote
Do you think it's as fast as the Eotech?

Link Posted: 5/25/2019 3:45:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Shit battery life makes it a non-starter for HD use as far as I'm concerned.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 3:47:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
As someone that has run both competitively, yes.

I still use Holosun, I don't use EOTech.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 5:46:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

-50k hour battery life
-Solar power backup

View Quote
this has been my choice
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 5:53:35 PM EDT
[#35]
no such thing
there is only what is best for you given the situation
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 5:54:47 PM EDT
[#36]
eotech
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 6:34:18 PM EDT
[#37]
A good duty grade always ready 24/7 HD or CQB choice:

Leupold motion-activated Deltapoint Pro w/ 7.5 MOA triangle reticle.  Over 50% greater FOV that Aimpoint Micro.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 6:37:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

As someone that has run both competitively, yes.

I still use Holosun, I don't use EOTech.
View Quote
It's not as fast as an EOTech, it's nearly biologically impossible considering it's red dot vs holo tech and your eyes/brain are not having to change focus planes constantly with the EOTech. Maybe it's nearly as fast or close enough you don't percieve it, but it's NOT as fast and it sure won't be as accurate at CQB ranges considering the parallax delta between the two. But hey, battery life FTW I guess.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 7:13:45 PM EDT
[#39]
AimPoint or Eotech according to preference. I prefer being always able to leave the AP on, and though while they’re both duty grade I’d trust the AP to survive more than the EO. I prefer the EoTech in actual use though, in that it has a hugeass forgiving window and I subjectively prefer the reticle. While there are no doubt other fine options, these two are what I’d be using.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 7:34:11 PM EDT
[#40]
I shoot faster with an Eotech and I think most people probably do to. Not by much but a tiny bit.

But I’d go with an aimpoint for hd so you can leave it on all the time. Set the brightness inside your house at night with your weaponlight and leave it there. One less thing to fuck with in the middle of the night.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 8:42:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, the 510C replaced an EoTech. I had just shot my PCC with the EoTech the put on the 510C, I like the 510C better.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 8:43:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The EoTech needs shake awake to be a home defensive weapon.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 9:53:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

It's not as fast as an EOTech, it's nearly biologically impossible considering it's red dot vs holo tech and your eyes/brain are not having to change focus planes constantly with the EOTech. Maybe it's nearly as fast or close enough you don't percieve it, but it's NOT as fast and it sure won't be as accurate at CQB ranges considering the parallax delta between the two. But hey, battery life FTW I guess.
View Quote
Times and scores say differently in the real world.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 10:01:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Whatever you shoot the fastest most naturally. My fav rds is still the rm06. I’ve pretty much never taken it off auto adjust. The wml was enough feed back that the sight recognizes it and adjusts for me.

I have used
Eotechs, aimpoint, lpvo and originally learned cqb on an m16a4 with an ACOG mounted to it. Just pick what fancies you and have at it.

Fwiw eotechs are my favorite for cqb but the short ass battery life gets it disqualified from my personal stable to defensive use.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 11:33:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That would be nice. I’m a huge fan of my optics that have that. It’s a neat workaround for functionally increasing battery life.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 11:35:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
LMAO. The real world is where the targets shoots back, and no one is choosing holosun for that course.
Holosun is more popular with the PCC or carbine match crowd because those shooters often use the same weapon for home defense and don't like the EOTech battery life for their personal weapons.
When the government buys you all the CR123's you want, battery life is no longer a factor. When that happens and you have your choice of any optic that is going to save your ass in a CQB gunfight, its EOTech. It is the quickest, period, regardless of what your competition buddies would have you believe. If red dot technology was faster, that would be on HUD display in our fighter jets instead of hologpraphy.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 11:56:22 PM EDT
[#47]
How about a light and a laser.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 2:03:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
LMAO. The real world is where the targets shoots back, and no one is choosing holosun for that course.
Holosun is more popular with the PCC or carbine match crowd because those shooters often use the same weapon for home defense and don't like the EOTech battery life for their personal weapons.
When the government buys you all the CR123's you want, battery life is no longer a factor. When that happens and you have your choice of any optic that is going to save your ass in a CQB gunfight, its EOTech. It is the quickest, period, regardless of what your competition buddies would have you believe. If red dot technology was faster, that would be on HUD display in our fighter jets instead of hologpraphy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like both LED and holo sights, but this seems like an odd argument to make.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 3:17:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Aimpoint t2. Built like a tank, battery life to eternety.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 3:25:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Aimpoint.

Any of the Comps, PRO, or the micros.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top