Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 6:57:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What? You press one button and it's on..,

Careful, you may be required to flip a safety selector, or rack a charging handle also

Been hearing same dry aimpoint talking points for years. It''s like ap fans priorities are to stow their rifles in closets and safes for years, and not actually run or maintain them.

ETA: I have yet to change the CR123 in my EXPS2. Still on the original battery that came with the optic purchased while I was on leave from a contract Sept 2017. I didn't use it for the rest of 17" because I went back overseas to finish my contract. I returned in May 18" and it's been used regularly since then, average range session 2-3hrs and 2 carbine competitions that year. All together the original battery has been in the optic for over a full year and a half and still going.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The EoTech's problem for home defense is not battery life, it is it takes forever to turn on in a defense situation. If you are planing on going in clearing building EoTechs work, but when the rifle sits for months and you need it to work. The EoTech MAY be split seconds between shots, but an Aimpoint is ready to going when you pick it up.
What? You press one button and it's on..,

Careful, you may be required to flip a safety selector, or rack a charging handle also

Been hearing same dry aimpoint talking points for years. It''s like ap fans priorities are to stow their rifles in closets and safes for years, and not actually run or maintain them.

Quoted:

Can't say that about my 512's....   Two AA batteries last a very long time.
ETA: I have yet to change the CR123 in my EXPS2. Still on the original battery that came with the optic purchased while I was on leave from a contract Sept 2017. I didn't use it for the rest of 17" because I went back overseas to finish my contract. I returned in May 18" and it's been used regularly since then, average range session 2-3hrs and 2 carbine competitions that year. All together the original battery has been in the optic for over a full year and a half and still going.
It is not ONE press of the button but multiple presses to get the reticle  on. My Aimpoint I just leave on, once a year replace the battery, and it is still on when I pick it up to do that. I also change the batteries in my light too, just because.

I shot with an EoTech for years in competition, always carried spare batteries with since I would go to turn on my EoTech and they were dead. I have had 4 EoTechs, every one has has to be sent back to be fixed, EoTech took care of them but still not a good record.

I had one Aimpoint go back and was because a Duracell battery leaked, but Aimpoint took care of it. I have Aimpoints over 20 years old and they still work, the get a fresh battery yearly and are on all the time.

Then again I guess the Chinese figured out how to make the EoTech right, with the Holosun 510C, same reticle, but shake awake and getting a year out of a 3 volt 2032 battery.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 7:10:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:It is not ONE press of the button but multiple presses to get the reticle on.
View Quote
No, it is one press to get the reticle on.

Maybe you mean to adjust the brightness?
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 7:43:06 AM EDT
[#3]
aimpoint warranty work is awesome.  I had an old ass H1 that stopped emitting.  no receipt, no box, no warranty.  at least 10 years old.  Sent it in, they fixed it free.

for home defense, reliability trumps speed everytime.

EOTech is a great, when you swap batteries before every mission and you have a squad of guys  with you if it goes wrong.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 7:44:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It is not ONE press of the button but multiple presses to get the reticle on. My Aimpoint I just leave on, once a year replace the battery, and it is still on when I pick it up to do that. I also change the batteries in my light too, just because.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It is not ONE press of the button but multiple presses to get the reticle on. My Aimpoint I just leave on, once a year replace the battery, and it is still on when I pick it up to do that. I also change the batteries in my light too, just because.
So your Eotech was defective then? You press the button once and the reticle appears is how it supposed to work.

I shot with an EoTech for years in competition, always carried spare batteries with since I would go to turn on my EoTech and they were dead. I have had 4 EoTechs, every one has has to be sent back to be fixed, EoTech took care of them but still not a good record.
I agree, those are bad odds. Were these the models that were known to have battery drain issues years ago? If so, those issues has been fixed and battery life has actually been improved.

I had one Aimpoint go back and was because a Duracell battery leaked, but Aimpoint took care of it. I have Aimpoints over 20 years old and they still work, the get a fresh battery yearly and are on all the time. Then again I guess the Chinese figured out how to make the EoTech right, with the Holosun 510C, same reticle, but shake awake and getting a year out of a 3 volt 2032 battery.
Eotech's have not even been around 20yrs and I don't think you understand what makes it an eotech. The Chinese have not made a true holographic sight. They haven't been able to produce one and they wouldn't be able to sell it at a competitive price. No to mention, making one as durable. They're barely getting a grasp on basic led emitters; I think it may be a bit harder to produce laser emitted holographics while using cheap materials and half assing through the whole QC process.

It's just another copy or implementation of the reflex, superimposed red dots that have been on the market for years now, ie. Meprolights, Trijicons, Docter, Jpoint etc. Even Sightmark and NcStar have been producing these for years. It's no different than them copying the aimpoint led emitter optics, (while at least not making it blatantly overpriced). Besides, they can't even make a batch without canted reticles in the 510C. Figured out how to make it right? LOL
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 8:37:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Vortex UH1
Aimpoint T1/T2 or H1/H2
Aimpoint Pro
Trijicon MRO
Eotech EXPS
Aimpoint Comp M4/5

All are well within your budget.  Select one that fits your needs, but all are more than capable.
View Quote
Good list. Despite the hatred for their past issues my EoTech has really grown on me.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 8:39:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Here’s an interesting thought... Aimpoint Pro uses the batteries even when “off”. The lowest setting / off setting is actually setting one according to Aimpoint. Aimpoint PRO... even on its lowest setting it still on. So technically Aimpoint is eating batteries the whole time as well except Aimpoint has a much longer battery life due to the LED design vs lasers (eotech).

I still get the point of Aimpoint battery life is way better, just saying they eat batteries too while “off”.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some will eat batteries when even turned off.
Here’s an interesting thought... Aimpoint Pro uses the batteries even when “off”. The lowest setting / off setting is actually setting one according to Aimpoint. Aimpoint PRO... even on its lowest setting it still on. So technically Aimpoint is eating batteries the whole time as well except Aimpoint has a much longer battery life due to the LED design vs lasers (eotech).

I still get the point of Aimpoint battery life is way better, just saying they eat batteries too while “off”.
The difference is one of the two still shows a dot or reticle in the scenario
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 10:03:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Even with lithium batteries ?
View Quote
Yup.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 10:32:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
aimpoint warranty work is awesome.  I had an old ass H1 that stopped emitting.  no receipt, no box, no warranty.  at least 10 years old.  Sent it in, they fixed it free.

for home defense, reliability trumps speed everytime.

EOTech is a great, when you swap batteries before every mission and you have a squad of guys  with you if it goes wrong.
View Quote
I am an Aimpoint guy too but your example of Aimpoint reliability is your H1 that stopped emitting...

With that said I wouldn't have a problem trusting the newer EOTechs.  Just have spare batteries.

In all seriousness, for room distance CQB, iron sights and a good light would work really well.  At that range you need to take into account the sight over bore and aim higher, also at those distances you may find yourself point shooting as well.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 10:46:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I am an Aimpoint guy too but your example of Aimpoint reliability is your H1 that stopped emitting...

With that said I wouldn't have a problem trusting the newer EOTechs.  Just have spare batteries.

I all seriousness, for room distance CQB, iron sights and a good light would work really well.  At that range you need to take into account the sight over bore and aim higher, also at those distances you may find yourself point shooting as well.
View Quote
yeah.  at real CQB distances the optic is pretty irrelevant.  Its that 10M-30M range where it matters the most.  Close enough that somebody is gonna die, far enough that you gotta aim to hit.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 11:46:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:It is not ONE press of the button but multiple presses to get the reticle on.

Yeah, to get it to a brightness to use!
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 11:59:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

So your Eotech was defective then? You press the button once and the reticle appears is how it supposed to work.

I agree, those are bad odds. Were these the models that were known to have battery drain issues years ago? If so, those issues has been fixed and battery life has actually been improved.

Eotech's have not even been around 20yrs and I don't think you understand what makes it an eotech. The Chinese have not made a true holographic sight. They haven't been able to produce one and they wouldn't be able to sell it at a competitive price. No to mention, making one as durable. They're barely getting a grasp on basic led emitters; I think it may be a bit harder to produce laser emitted holographics while using cheap materials and half assing through the whole QC process.

It's just another copy or implementation of the reflex, superimposed red dots that have been on the market for years now, ie. Meprolights, Trijicons, Docter, Jpoint etc. Even Sightmark and NcStar have been producing these for years. It's no different than them copying the aimpoint led emitter optics, (while at least not making it blatantly overpriced). Besides, they can't even make a batch without canted reticles in the 510C. Figured out how to make it right? LOL
View Quote
Dude, EoTech's have been around close to 20 years, I bought my first one in 2001 and they had been around before that, that EoTech has been back 2-3 times, the other got sent back once.

You see one 510C with a canted reticle and you think all are that way, I personal have shot with over a dozen guys that use the 510C and they love them and have zero problems with them.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 3:15:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I am looking for an optic for $1000 or less to use on a AR pistol for home defense that will be easy for my eyes to pick up. I don’t want one where I have to pause to stare down a scope.
View Quote
I have both an Eotech EXPS2-0 and a Trijicon MRO and I love both of them. I am currently getting rid of my MRO, not due to not liking it, but just going with a LPVO. I like the FOV with the MRO for the red dot style of optic, the newer generation has less of a blue tint to it and does not have the slight magnification as the old versions. The battery lasts for quite some time at the lower 3 or 4 settings, which in my opinion, are easily visible indoors and under lower light. I like my Eotech but I wish it had a longer battery life. I often do not keep it on all the time like I do my MRO.

Both are found at reasonable prices both new and used.

Arrowhedz
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 4:10:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Well holy smokes, 37 minutes in:
https://theeverydaysniper.podbean.com/e/the-everyday-sniper-episode-156-interview-with-aaron-hampton-of-eotech/

Better explanation than I can do, but any LE/MIL on here that has been a part of their briefings since 2016, they get even more detailed.

For those that think someone is "balls deep" in something because they attempt to properly explain the technology (I am not an engineer), perhaps you are the ones that are emotionally invested in your optic. I have ALL kinds of optics.
I never engaged in a debate about what optic is "better", ever. Given the choice of an AP, ACOG, EOTech or LPVO, I have to ask what the use case is first, because all of those optics would be a number one choice in a certain given scenario.

I did engage about which one is fastest, which I still believe to be a Vortex UH1 or a EOTech given the hologrpahic technology. Being someone who has or have run nearly every legitimate type of RDS you could run, including a large amount of LPVO's I find either an Aimpoint, an ACOG, a legitimate LPVO or an EOTech the best choice in any different number of use cases. They are all different and they all have advantages on various stages. I love the TA44, TA33 and the AP T2 and have/had run them all.  If you choose not to believe what the gentlemen on the podcast is saying, that's fine, there is a lot of stuff I don't believe either, but understanding the fundamental differences in technology will help you deduce your best choice.

Having worked with various top level entities over the years, I can tell you that what the gentlemen on the podcast is saying is backed up by those entities that specialize in CQB, they tend to prefer the EOTech whereas the patrol types, tend to prefer the AP or similar.

I have learned not to engage here, I will go back to just selling.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 4:36:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Level

Entities

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 4:40:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Not a single one of them runs your Holosun.  Not. a. single. one.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 4:48:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Oh don’t be dramatic. You made some tall claims and couldn’t back them up when asked. “EoTech IS faster, there is no debate, period.” When asked for the proof behind that statement you went on some silly tangent about fighter jets. But now you’re taking your ball and going home, the tech forum will be lesser in your absence.

FWIW I prefer the larger window of the EoTech at least when it comes to ease of use. I’m sure the UH1 ranks up there too, never tried one. But it has nothing to do with holography. I don’t focus on the dot with LED optics, I don’t know anyone that does, so I guess I don’t understand the argument. I don’t think that’s a failing on my part either, I think it’s because it’s a dumb argument.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 4:48:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Not a single one of them runs your Holosun.  Not. a. single. one.
View Quote
Ok... Outside of competitive venues, neither do I.

Do we arm wrestle now or something?
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 4:50:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Oh don’t be dramatic. You made some tall claims and couldn’t back them up when asked. “EoTech IS faster, there is no debate, period.” When asked for the proof behind that statement you went on some silly tangent about fighter jets. But now you’re taking your ball and going home, the tech forum will be lesser in your absence.

FWIW I prefer the larger window of the EoTech at least when it comes to ease of use. I’m sure the UH1 ranks up there too, never tried one. But it has nothing to do with holography. I don’t focus on the dot with LED optics, I don’t know anyone that does, so I guess I don’t understand the argument. I don’t think that’s a failing on my part either, I think it’s because it’s a dumb argument.
View Quote
I literally found a podcast with a company representative/employee backing up exactly what was asked about and it's still not enough. Proof of my original statement that all the evidence in the world isn't going to change the minds here.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 4:52:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I literally found a podcast with a company representative/employee backing up exactly what was asked about and it's still not enough. Proof of my original statement that all the evidence in the world isn't going to change the minds here.
View Quote
When I’m looking for the straight information, I always go to a company rep.

They’re guaranteed to give you the unvarnished truth.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 4:57:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
But FIGHTERJETS!!!
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 4:58:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
“Fighter jets use holography, if they use it so should you!” < This is an appeal to authority. It’s a logical fallacy.

“This EoTech marketing guy says they’re better!” This is also an appeal to authority (and a poor one, given his position). It too is a logical fallacy.

Ironically he appeals to the same authority about fighter jets using it, making it an Inception level logical fallacy. An appeal to authority within an appeal to authority!

The main argument you both made was that with holography one is able to focus solely on the target. This is true of LED sights too though. No one focuses on the dot, and has a blurry target. I don’t think I could do so if I tried. This is really only a thing with iron sight shooting.

The argument presented in favor of holography over LED applies to both.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 4:59:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

When I’m looking for the straight information, I always go to a company rep.

They’re guaranteed to give you the unvarnished truth.
View Quote
Me thinks you choose which ones to believe and which ones not to.

Just so I have this straight, your stance is that:
1.) Larger Window Matters
2.) Reticle (Circle Dot or similar) Matters
3.) Lack of Tint Matters
4.) Lack of Parallax matters
5.) The difference in way that eye perceives holography vs LED does NOT matter
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 5:02:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

3.) Lack of Tint Matters
View Quote
Whoa, whoa, whoa. You said EoTech IS the fastest sight. You said it was irrefutable. These were your claims, no one else’s. If they’re true, I’d love to see the evidence. I love learning new things. What evidence do you have? Show your work.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 5:03:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

“Fighter jets use holography, if they use it so should you!” < This is an appeal to authority. It’s a logical fallacy.

“This EoTech marketing guy says they’re better!” This is also an appeal to authority (and a poor one, given his position). It too is a logical fallacy.

Ironically he appeals to the same authority about fighter jets using it, making it an Inception level logical fallacy. An appeal to authority within an appeal to authority!

The main argument you both made was that with holography one is able to focus solely on the target. This is true of LED sights too though. No one focuses on the dot, and has a blurry target. I don’t think I could do so if I tried. This is really only a thing with iron sight shooting.

The argument presented in favor of holography over LED applies to both.
View Quote
So are you saying its not true, or that it doesnt matter?
If you believe it is not true...ok, I guess.
If you believe that it doesn't matter then you are saying that running a hard target focus with an out of focus reticle is as ideal as the reticle being in focus as well down range at the same time as the target? Serious question.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 5:03:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Leupold Prismatic
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 5:05:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

3.) Lack of Tint Matters
View Quote
Correct.

I would also add:
6.) Battery life matters
7.) Durability and track record of failures matter.

EoTech has a crap battery life and quite frankly, I have seen far too many EoTechs fail domestically and abroad to ever trust one.

Shady business practices play a part in the fact I won’t purchase one, but that’s a subject for a different thread.

I thought you were going back to “selling” or taking glamour shots of carbines or something?
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 5:06:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

So are you saying its not true, or that it doesnt matter?
If you believe it is not true...ok, I guess.
If you believe that it doesn't matter then you are saying that running a hard target focus with an out of focus reticle is as ideal as the reticle being in focus as well down range at the same time as the target? Serious question.
View Quote
...what? My LED based optics have a crisp dot when focused on the target. Same as with my EoTech. Everyone else’s should too. If yours don’t, your eyes need checked.

ETA: I don’t think I can focus on the dot even if I tried. Like, do eyes even work like that? Mine don’t seem to.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 5:07:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Leupold Prismatic
View Quote
You know... at the time those came out I was never a fan and didn’t really understand the appeal.

A decade later I get it but they’re out of production.

I hope Steiner puts one out, they have some excellent 3x and 5x options.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 5:08:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

...what? My LED based optics have a crisp dot when focused on the target. Same as with my EoTech. Everyone else’s should too. If yours don’t, your eyes need checked.
View Quote
That ^^^

All of mine do. I don’t know where he’s coming from.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 5:11:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You know... at the time those came out I was never a fan and didn’t really understand the appeal.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Leupold Prismatic

I always thought the 1X prisms were mostly made for people with astigmatism. I have a mild astigmatism, but it’s never really hindered my RDS use, and with contacts it’s a complete non-issue at least for me.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 8:46:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Dude, EoTech's have been around close to 20 years, I bought my first one in 2001 and they had been around before that, that EoTech has been back 2-3 times, the other got sent back once.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

"Dude" close to 20 years and less than 20 years is saying the exact same thing. We've already established old eotechs had issues, for the six hundred millionth time. Perhaps if people would take a breath and acknowledge this before jumping on the hate train, we can actually for the first time in firearm history have a real relevant discussion in a eotech thread.

You see one 510C with a canted reticle and you think all are that way, I personal have shot with over a dozen guys that use the 510C and they love them and have zero problems with them.
No, I've seen this come up multiple times. I'm pretty sure this is a known issue. And I believe it's just as valid if not more than you bringing up 2nd gen Eotech problems from "close to 20 years" ago. I've worked with "dozens" of Rangers, ODA, Polish and Hungarians that prefer Eotech over all others, and it means nothing here. So there's that.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 9:20:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
"Dude" close to 20 years and less than 20 years is saying the exact same thing. We've already established old eotechs had issues, for the six hundred millionth time. Perhaps if people would take a breath and acknowledge this before jumping on the hate train, we can actually for the first time in firearm history have a real relevant discussion in a eotech thread.

No, I've seen this come up multiple times. I'm pretty sure this is a known issue. And I believe it's just as valid if not more than you bringing up 2nd gen Eotech problems from "close to 20 years" ago. I've worked with "dozens" of Rangers, ODA, Polish and Hungarians that prefer Eotech over all others, and it means nothing here. So there's that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why are schilling so hard for EoTech? Look EoTechs had for years tons of problems, yeah they take care of a large percentage under warranty.

The reason I don't consider a good optic for home protection is I want some already on like an Aimpoint or has shake awake so when you pick it up it is on.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 9:47:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Why are schilling so hard for EoTech? Look EoTechs had for years tons of problems, yeah they take care of a large percentage under warranty.

The reason I don't consider a good optic for home protection is I want some already on like an Aimpoint or has shake awake so when you pick it up it is on.
View Quote
I could ask why you're schilling so hard for aimpoint. No where have I stated one optic is better than any other at anything. And it doesn't matter to me what your personal preference is, I respect that. I acknowledged you after your comment made it seem like pressing a single button on an eotech was the equivalent of firing up a windows XP machine lol. That's all. You're the one that indulged in sharing your eotech experience from almost 20yrs ago. I'm just saying it's not really relevant in context to today's models
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 9:50:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Which optic best for CQB? Very subjective

A lot of post on here compare side by side mechanically the top two; EOTech and Aimpoint
But to base it off that would be flawed..

It is totally decided by which appears to work best for the shooter

Using myself as a example, data wise one could say EOTech is better since the majority
of SF prefer the EOTech. But for me, I preferred a Aimpoint when I was active duty.
Reason, a single dot is easier for me to focus on which equaled me, shooting faster and better.
So even if say a EOTech was mechanically a little tougher, ran longer, for me, still would not be best choice.
The answer which ever one facilitates your best shooting.

Concerning battery life, how hard you can bang the optic on the ground, ease of on/off switch
all come after how it helps the shooter perform. So what optic best for CQB is up to the shooter, to decide that one must
shoot them under the conditions they expect to use it for real in, then decide.

Part of my fascination with old IDF Elbit Falcons. Insane battery life,auto brightness adjusting single red dot.
And they seem to be made from the metal of ground up T72 tanks, so very very sturdy.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 10:07:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Part of my fascination with old IDF Elbit Falcons. Insane battery life,auto brightness adjusting single red dot.
And they seem to be made from the metal of ground up T72 tanks, so very very sturdy.
View Quote
did it have the heavy blue tint?  I had the 1st gen mepro light and it was pretty bad.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 10:40:18 PM EDT
[#36]
There is a blue tint but I do not think it's that bad. For those totally used to perfectly clear Optics I can see they may not like it. When I am shooting fast I do not even notice it
At the end of this video I'm doing some speed shooting with a elbit falcon.
Shooting a Tactical AR with the BPM Accu-Set Adjustable Gas System!
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 11:11:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
eotech exps3
View Quote
^ this

RDS second.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 1:47:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

And whenever I see someone trying to say that window size is irrelevant I instantly know that they don’t train with a timer or engage in any competitive shooting sport.

Go to virtually any large USPSA match and start asking the CO, Open or PCC shooter who is A Class or above why they are running the optic they have... Guaranteed window size is top three if not the first answer. Why? Speed. Particularly during movement and target transitions.

That’s why the DPP/SRO/Romeo Max/C-More/510/etc even exist.

Otherwise we would all just run RMRs.
View Quote
Nailed it, sir.  Indeed, that is exactly what we see at USPSA with the top shooters.

This translates into HD whether with pistols or carbines where target acquisition speed and follow up speed are critical.

That’s why I run a shake to awake DPP on my HD carbine and night stand handgun.

Off angle shooting with the dot or triangle over at the edge of a wider screen is also helpful for certain extreme shooting angles behind barricades or other cover so you can remain better concealed.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 3:58:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I could ask why you're schilling so hard for aimpoint. No where have I stated one optic is better than any other at anything. And it doesn't matter to me what your personal preference is, I respect that. I acknowledged you after your comment made it seem like pressing a single button on an eotech was the equivalent of firing up a windows XP machine lol. That's all. You're the one that indulged in sharing your eotech experience from almost 20yrs ago. I'm just saying it's not really relevant in context to today's models [img]http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif[/
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I could ask why you're schilling so hard for aimpoint. No where have I stated one optic is better than any other at anything. And it doesn't matter to me what your personal preference is, I respect that. I acknowledged you after your comment made it seem like pressing a single button on an eotech was the equivalent of firing up a windows XP machine lol. That's all. You're the one that indulged in sharing your eotech experience from almost 20yrs ago. I'm just saying it's not really relevant in context to today's models [img]http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif[/
I have had 4 EoTech, bought from 2001-2013, all 4 have been back at least once to EoTech for true manufacturer defects. The only thing the EoTech has going for it is the large viewing screen.  I was using an EoTech on my PCC up until January when I bought my Halosun, after shooting the Halosun on the clock this spring it is as fast if not faster on the clock as an EoTech plus it is always on with no dead batteries and offers two different reticles both a ring/dot or just a dot.

Also if you have really done any training in a defensive/combat situation you would know that under stress you lose a lot of you fine motor skills. This is why any optic used for a defensive situation should be always on or be shake awake. To have to press a button 5-8 times to get your reticles on does not work well in DEFENSIVE situations. No matter how much you train, when shit goes wrong much of the best training goes out the window.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 6:13:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:To have to press a button 5-8 times to get your reticles on...
View Quote
Why do you keep repeating this when you already acknowledged it only takes a single press?!?

Besides it’s akin to complaining about having to turn an Aimpoint knob “5-8 times” to get the brightness to the desired level.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 7:11:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Quoted:

View Quote
The first EOTechs we were issued (at least in our unit) was in 2000, and the first commercially available EOTech optics have existed since the mid-90s.

All the EOTechs I've personally owned were the XPS/EXPS variety, and none have had any issues whatsoever., and I'm currently playing with a new green reticle EXPS. My RDS have mostly been Aimpoints (H1/T1 and M4s) and I still run a couple of T2s with plans to pick up an M5s whenever I get around to building up another rifle that will require a new optic. I'm faster with an EOTech and the circle dot. Some guys are faster with a single red dot. We're all built a little different and it boils down to how our brains process information, which influences our preferred choice of optics among many other things.

I have been experimenting with the Holosun 503GU going on about 3 years now. I have no issues to report and it has been reliable in terms of being able to retain zero and no shake-wake failures. I would consider it GTG for general purpose use based on my sample size of one, but there doesn't seem to be a shortage of people out there who are also having good luck with this particular model. But then again I'm not sure how many people are actually running their kit hard into the ground versus how many just shoot a few hundred rounds per year and spend most of their time on groups like arfcom swearing by their equipment choice, so there's that.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 7:58:40 AM EDT
[#42]
I have an Aimpoint T1 on my HD rifle, which has been solid for about 4 years now.  I also trust the Comp M4/M4s line.

I recently bought a Sig Romeo4, which is OK, and held up to 1500 rounds.  It's on a different rifle, but it has a shake awake feature, and an EoTech type reticle.  I'd trust it after a full year or two... except the reticle is just barely slanted, which is pretty annoying.  But it's not too noticeable and seems OK so far
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 8:46:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Op for what you want (home defense) I’d suggest an aimpoint because you don’t have to worry about turning it on and off. Battery life is several years at the correct setting on all models. Just one less thing to mess with if you’re grabbing it to defend yourself/family.

My personal preference is the Micro T/H series. Very robust red dot. Don’t settle for similar copies on a home defense gun. While others may be great for a  range toy, you want reliability.

Check out the old Daniel Defense with Larry Vickers torture test video. The aimpoint outshines the rifle they were testing.

Eta: also I would spend time looking at the red dot mount as well. You want something that is solid and won’t fall off under recoil. I know that seems simple, but sights will fall off under recoil if not mounted properly.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 10:44:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

To have to press a button 5-8 times to get your reticles on does not work well in DEFENSIVE situations.
View Quote
What? I guess I’ve been turning my EoTech on wrong, mine only needs me hitting a single button. I would rather hit no buttons on an Aimpoint or have a shake-awake, but that argument is silly. It’s hitting a single button not solving a Rubiks cube.

ETA: and on a side note, I wish we could ever do a thread like this that doesn’t degenerate into a pissing match about who does/doesn’t train/operate harder. The “you only have a different opinion because you’re not as hardcore as me” mentality some have here is obnoxious. This isn’t directed at any one person, it’s a reccurring theme.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 5:49:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Op for what you want (home defense) I’d suggest an aimpoint because you don’t have to worry about turning it on and off. Battery life is several years at the correct setting on all models. Just one less thing to mess with if you’re grabbing it to defend yourself/family.

My personal preference is the Micro T/H series. Very robust red dot. Don’t settle for similar copies on a home defense gun. While others may be great for a  range toy, you want reliability.

Check out the old Daniel Defense with Larry Vickers torture test video. The aimpoint outshines the rifle they were testing.

Eta: also I would spend time looking at the red dot mount as well. You want something that is solid and won’t fall off under recoil. I know that seems simple, but sights will fall off under recoil if not mounted properly.
View Quote
Don't get me wrong:  A "lives depend on it" HD optic must be rugged and dependable.  Failure is not an option.  But, your example might be a bit extreme for HD.  Not too many houses have ceilings tall enough to fly an airplane and drop a T1 equipped DD carbine, nor do they typically have lakes or ponds inside or such.  The T1 is tough.  But, it also has a lot of parallax, about 10 MOA in a recent test.  Parallax at close distances is a pretty big deal.  T2 is much better.  But that tiny 20mm round tube tunnel effect makes even the T2 harder to get on target quickly.  If you've got it run it. It will not let you down, but beware of the parallax and if you're thinking of buying, be sure you are ok with that tiny 20mm ocular lens.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 6:02:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Why do you keep repeating this when you already acknowledged it only takes a single press?!?

Besides it’s akin to complaining about having to turn an Aimpoint knob “5-8 times” to get the brightness to the desired level.
View Quote
This is all I was originally trying to say. Good lawd, guess I'm not schilling or going crazy here.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 7:46:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Leupold LCO.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 8:38:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Don't get me wrong:  A "lives depend on it" HD optic must be rugged and dependable.  Failure is not an option.  But, your example might be a bit extreme for HD.  Not too many houses have ceilings tall enough to fly an airplane and drop a T1 equipped DD carbine, nor do they typically have lakes or ponds inside or such.  The T1 is tough.  But, it also has a lot of parallax, about 10 MOA in a recent test.  Parallax at close distances is a pretty big deal.  T2 is much better.  But that tiny 20mm round tube tunnel effect makes even the T2 harder to get on target quickly.  If you've got it run it. It will not let you down, but beware of the parallax and if you're thinking of buying, be sure you are ok with that tiny 20mm ocular lens.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. I’m okay with it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 10:55:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Yep. I’m okay with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. I’m okay with it.
FWIW, that is a 20mm round ocular red dot on the left.  It’s not a T1, but 20mm is 20mm.  Leupold DPP on the right.

Link Posted: 5/28/2019 11:00:33 PM EDT
[#50]
The best optic for CQB is whatever optic a well trained person uses. most people like red dots, like Aim Point. I, personally would stay away from EoTech because of their big F up a few years ago,, but some don't care,,, whatever it is train and use it often.
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top