BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/26/2011 7:58:27 PM EDT
Hello all,

New to the forum, and just finished building my first AR rifle today. I am not new to firearms in general, but this is the first AR I have built, and the only one I currently own.

With my pistols, after I've cleaned them, I'll wipe them down and put them in a small safe that I have, with some anti-humidity devices in them.

The only other rifles I own are a stock 10/22 and a Mosin Nagant, neither of which I am that concerned about. The AR on the other hand, I am concerned about.

In the area where I live, high humidity can be a problem, and I live somewhat near a body of water, if that adds any corrosion problems.

Safe or gun cabinet are not options currently. What is the best way to preserve my AR, and make sure it doesn't rust? I used to have an Olympic Arms HBAR (piece of crap) and I kept it in a hard case, and it eventually developed some surface rust spots.

I've heard my best option might be to wipe the exterior with Eezox, and keep it in a rifle sock.

Thoughts/ideas/suggestions? Thanks a lot!
Link Posted: 10/26/2011 8:05:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Muzzle down in the closet on a towel. Spray CLP on it and down the barrel every so often.
Link Posted: 10/27/2011 7:21:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Thoughts/ideas/suggestions? Thanks a lot!

Toss it in your trunk, wrapped in a beach towel.

Shoot it often.
Link Posted: 10/27/2011 7:27:47 AM EDT
[#3]
After I clean my AR, I put it in a soft gun case I bought.  Inside the case I put desiccant pouches that come in various products I buy (like new shoes and electronics, having 3 kids, I get new ones all the time ).  I then store it under my bed.  I have never had a problem.
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 4:56:05 PM EDT
[#4]
A few people have recommended Eezox to me. If I sprayed the exterior down, what can I put it in to store it in my room somewhere? Some people have said not to use a gun case, soft or hard, because it traps moisture. What about a gun sock, or something?
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 5:51:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I use eezox on outside of my AR15 and make sure it is wiped down with thin coat and then store all firearms in bore store bags I got on sale from Midway.  Very pleased.
Link Posted: 10/29/2011 6:31:11 AM EDT
[#6]
So....no suggestions on what to put it IN sans a safe? A giant plastic storage bin with dehimidifier packs? Soft case? Gun sock?

Is an airtight plastic box on a towel or something with some dehumidifier packs a good idea?

I will be wiping it down with Birchwood Casey "Barricade" or Eezox, even though I plan to shoot it a couple times a month. But humidity and salty air are a problem here sort of. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 7:38:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 6:42:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I use Borestores gun bags and keep them in my closet. The gun bags make them a little bit less obvious what they are if a thief was looking around (although I'm sure he'd figure it out if he had time to investigate) and helps protect them from getting unnecessary dings or scratches. The fabric wicks away moisture but still allows the metals to "breathe."

Haven't gotten any rust yet.
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 4:05:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, as this is a rifle I'll be accessing fairly frequently for range use and stuff, the bags don't seem ideal. And I can't get a safe currently.

I went with one of those long plastic totes that you store stuff under your bed. I put a towel on the bottom of it, then I went to home depot and bought some "Rubber Foam Weatherseal" self stick tape, to create as close to an air tight seal as I can get. Then I'll throw a couple reusable silica packs or an Eva-Dry dehumidifier in there and call it finished.

Does this sound okay, or am I missing something? Towel a bad idea?
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 9:18:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Well, as this is a rifle I'll be accessing fairly frequently for range use and stuff, the bags don't seem ideal. And I can't get a safe currently.

I went with one of those long plastic totes that you store stuff under your bed. I put a towel on the bottom of it, then I went to home depot and bought some "Rubber Foam Weatherseal" self stick tape, to create as close to an air tight seal as I can get. Then I'll throw a couple reusable silica packs or an Eva-Dry dehumidifier in there and call it finished.

Towels can retain moisture, which is then held against the gun's finish.
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 9:33:32 AM EDT
[#11]
If you're going to be accessing it frequently, you don't need to take any real precautions at all. Just put it in the closet, stock down. If you use it often there won't be enough time to get enough dust in the bore to cause a problem.

Take the BCG out and check the bore for obstructions if you're paranoid before shooting. I'd just shoot it.

Link Posted: 11/6/2011 9:31:33 AM EDT
[#12]
I have worked in armories that literally have hundreds of thousands of these things just sitting in racks. they get cleaned and lubed maybe once a year if they are lucky and never once did we ever find rust.  I get so tickled at how so many people on this forum treat a battle rifle like it is made of glass.
Link Posted: 11/6/2011 10:34:03 AM EDT
[#13]
I live in the Richmond, VA area.  I think its pretty humid here in the summer.

Many of my rifles/handguns were stored for years in the attic in the same padded gun cases I kept them in for years.

I wipe them down with an oily rag.  Everytime I touch the metal parts I wipe it down again before putting it back in the case.

No rust, ever.

Right now I have an XM177 clone sitting in the corner by the bed in a soft/padded gun case, a 16" carbine lying in the floor of the spare bedroom in a soft/padded gun case, a 16" carbine upstairs in the attic in a soft padded gun case as well as several other guns in soft padded gun cases in the attic, in the corner of one bedroom or other.

Again, no rust, ever, from handling or sitting.

As they say, your mileage may vary.
Link Posted: 11/6/2011 10:48:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
After I clean my AR, I put it in a soft gun case I bought.  Inside the case I put desiccant pouches that come in various products I buy (like new shoes and electronics, having 3 kids, I get new ones all the time ).  I then store it under my bed.  I have never had a problem.

I learned the hard way that putting dessicant in the case is a huge mistake.  Dessicant absorbs oil as well as moisture, inviting corrosion.  Keep the dessicant outside the case.
Link Posted: 11/7/2011 8:13:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

First post and all

Don't over think it. If you are using this thing often then hit it with oil. I like muzzle down so the oil runs out if the barrel and not into the action.

Done

Don't keep wrapped in anything.
Link Posted: 11/7/2011 12:41:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the advice guys. You all are right, I should stop babying the damned thing.

I will keep it in that container I was talking about (minus the towel. I'll find something else to lay it on) but only because I already put it together and it fits in the area where I want to keep it anyway. I won't worry about the rust. I'll eezox it and stop worrying.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 8:17:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So....no suggestions on what to put it IN sans a safe? A giant plastic storage bin with dehimidifier packs? Soft case? Gun sock?

Is an airtight plastic box on a towel or something with some dehumidifier packs a good idea?

I will be wiping it down with Birchwood Casey "Barricade" or Eezox, even though I plan to shoot it a couple times a month. But humidity and salty air are a problem here sort of. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Do NOT put the rifle in plastic! Just get a decent simple rifle bag and store it in there. If you use a hard case, then either remove the foam, or lay the rifle in a towel and cover it both sides before storing. If there is so much as 1 drop of moisture in a hard case, it will find the contact between steel and foam, and it will settle there. Best for the rifle to breathe in a regular gun case in a closet/ under a bed, etc.
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 8:36:04 PM EDT
[#18]

I have a family member who lives in the southeastern US, about 10 minutes from the ocean.  His guns are all kept in an old-school wooden cabinet that has glass panels in the doors.

I introduced him to Ballistol almost 10 years ago, and since that time it's been the only thing that he's used to protect his firearms.

He has zero problems with rust or corrosion.

Link Posted: 11/10/2011 10:05:46 AM EDT
[#19]
If you have moisture resistant closet or safe in some level, you can try to use a small cup or bowl of cat litter to bind up the moisture inside, as a support to the proper lubrication as rust prevention. I've heard that the best sort is the "crystal" looking cat litter, which is formulated from the soduim silicate I presume. I've been told that this trick and particular cat litter is also used by some photographers / camera enthustiacs when storing their fine & delicate eqipment.

See the wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Litter_box
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 10:10:29 AM EDT
[#20]
send to me, ill store in my safe...
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 3:24:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do NOT put the rifle in plastic! Just get a decent simple rifle bag and store it in there. If you use a hard case, then either remove the foam, or lay the rifle in a towel and cover it both sides before storing. If there is so much as 1 drop of moisture in a hard case, it will find the contact between steel and foam, and it will settle there. Best for the rifle to breathe in a regular gun case in a closet/ under a bed, etc.

How is a hard rifle case any different than a long tupperware thing from walmart...?

In any case, if I do go that route with a hard case minus the foam, and throw it under the bed (this is probably what i'll do) should I throw a reusable dehumidification pack in there or is that a bad idea?
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 5:25:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Its the foam padding in the rifle cases that retain moisture and maintain contact with the weapon which causes oxidation. They are usually adequate for storage if kept dry, but if you shoot often you know what happens. Rain on an open case=moist foam=rust
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:57:39 AM EDT
[#23]
I keep mine standing upright in the corner with a mag locked in and the bolt back...

But that's just me. I don't have any little people around to worry about (and my fiance doesn't really like guns, so I know she won't mess with it...).
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 4:20:17 PM EDT
[#24]
AR rifles have a tough finish and chrome lined bores for a reason. Put it in the back of the closet and it will be fine. You can't hurt it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 4:57:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I keep mine standing upright in the corner with a mag locked in and the bolt back...

But that's just me. I don't have any little people around to worry about (and my fiance doesn't really like guns, so I know she won't mess with it...).

I also have an AR storage corner. Moisture is never a problem.
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 8:14:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Pelican case anyone? I keep mine in a pelican case under the bed with a cable lock running through one of the pad lock points on the pelican case to the bed frame.
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 4:02:48 PM EDT
[#27]
What are the best Cleaner & oils for the inside & out thanks
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 3:43:55 AM EDT
[#28]
I have a reasonably "cheap" case i store my two Ar's in. What i do is a moisten a rag with CLP and rub down the exterior metal parts, inside is a standard after cleaning lube job.I put them away in the "cheap" case with that light outer coat. In the case i have some of this or something similar cut into the foam like any other of your custom cut parts. Every six months or so, depending on your location of course, change out the gel pack stuff. Again this is just its storage case, so oily foam is gonna happen. I only do this whole deal if the rifles are going to storage for a while. Typically winter around here since no indoor range lets you fire them here. I tend to pull them out and do a check up on them every two months if im in some real no shooting downtime, thus far never run into issues. Certainly the best anti rust method is shooting the darn things.
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 6:18:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Cut out a nice tall rectangle in the sheetrock between two studs on an interior wall, install a small section of 2x4 between the studs for the rifle to rest on.  Toss the rifle in a gun sock, put it in the wall, put the piece of sheetrock back over the hole and hang a big U.S. flag over it.  Done.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 5:43:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Here in SWFL my M4 is standing next to my bed by the window
no rust problems at all

I do have a hard and soft case for other weapons

BTW  its very hummid here in Punta Gorda with a canal in my back yard

Link Posted: 2/11/2012 7:06:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Pelican case anyone? I keep mine in a pelican case under the bed with a cable lock running through one of the pad lock points on the pelican case to the bed frame.

Bad idea.  Pelican cases are for safe transport, not storage.

Link Posted: 2/13/2012 11:19:44 PM EDT
[#32]
so why is the foam case bad idea..thats what i use right now..how will that hurt my rifle..i read it would be okay
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 11:26:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Is that a foam-lined case? Those foam cases will rust a rifle in no time.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 11:27:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
so why is the foam case bad idea..thats what i use right now..how will that hurt my rifle..i read it would be okay

Any moisture in the foam, or condensation on the rifle metal from temperature swings, etc. will be held against the metal by the foam.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 11:33:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any moisture in the foam, or condensation on the rifle metal from temperature swings, etc. will be held against the metal by the foam.

i see..will now its time to take that foam out..should i use desiccant packs with the hard case or take them out. somebody said it absorbs the oil?
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 12:01:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i see..will now its time to take that foam out..should i use desiccant packs with the hard case or take them out. somebody said it absorbs the oil?

Why does it have to be in the hard-case? I wouldn't bother putting it in the hard case, personally. I keep my firearms (except the one near my bed) by the hot-water heater. It is always warmer in that area, and humidity is 10 points lower. Nothing has ever rusted in that area. maybe that is not secure enough for you, though. In which case, a safe w/goldenrod or other dehumidifier is what I would recommend.

So far, I have found Breakfree CLP to be the best "light" rust-preventative I have yet tried, for what good that might do you.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 12:02:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I use a Storm/Hardigg version for temp storage and when travelling. I cable lock it to whatever I can in that location. I use 2 thin, easy to flex cables. It also accepts 2 padlocks. I don't consider it safe, but do consider it safer than nothing. I like to run the cables through both handles - it'll make it tougher to move it if they cut them through. I use it when travelling - which can last for months for me. It never sits long enough without at least inspection for corrosion to be an issue for me. I use it without the foam(Except for lid) and have it in a soft bag that fits inside. I can fit it, my shotgun and two pistols all in individual padded soft cases safely and legally.

-JC

Link Posted: 2/14/2012 6:16:04 AM EDT
[#38]
I keep mine in a pelican case, in a soft case. There is no foam in the pelican case. I also keep the rifle heavily oiled with a few dessicant packs in the soft case. No rust so far. Also I take the rifle out at least once a week to shoot it or clean/oil it regardless of whether or not it's been shot since the last cleaning.

Also pelican currently uses closed-cell foam in their cases which won't absorb moisture the way other foams will. Also I think the pressure release valve would help with moisture problems related to temperature/pressure changes. Having said that, I did remove the foam from mine. For some people a safe is simply not an option, my house is 220 years old, with no closets and wall construction without studs and beams that are code nowadays. There is simply no place to hide/bolt down a safe in this house.

Simply saying "your stick will rust in a pelican case" without knowing any of the details is rude and not very helpful. With proper care I feel safe storing mine in my pelican. Besides it gives me more reasons to take it out and fondle it. In my opinion the best way to prevent rust is to get out and shoot it and keep it clean and oiled.

Proper maintenance and lubrication goes a long way, and that's not just true for firearms.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 8:40:50 AM EDT
[#39]
i keep it in a hard case cause that's all i have right now.im not home 24/7 so when i work it stays in the hard case hidden away in my house..but when im home its out ready to rock if someone wants break in
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 8:49:11 AM EDT
[#40]
The rifle isn't made out of the dead sea scrolls is it?
Stand it in the closet. Oil it. That's seriously it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 8:49:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Personaly I wouldn't keep it inside anything... a gunsock would be a pain to get around an AR.  A soft gun case wouldn't be a bad idea but I don't think a gun you regularly use would suffer at all.  Keep it oiled normaly and it will be fine.  I also imagine your home is air conditioned, so basically your whole house is dehumidified.  

If I had a safe in the garage I would put a dehumidifier in it.

When I opened this I thought it was gonna be about theft and I had a thought in regards to that.

I had an AR before I had a gunsafe, and I worried about a bad guy getting my rifle.  Unless your AR is your primary defensive tool I would keep the BCG in the safe separate from the gun.  (I hid it elsewhere in the house)
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 4:13:45 AM EDT
[#42]

I read about (probably here) people hanging them inside clothing in the closet.

That's where mine is right now. Hung muzzle down by the sling around a hangar, with an old ratty silk bath robe over it.  There's plenty of air flow and it's not real obvious it's there.

I don't plan on storing it there long term, but until I can get a safe, and a case, and all that stuff (first AR) it's good enough.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 4:18:36 AM EDT
[#43]
One is propped up in the corner by the front door, another propped up in the corner by my bedroom door and the third is under my bed next to my shotgun.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 5:02:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I keep mine in a pelican case, in a soft case. There is no foam in the pelican case. I also keep the rifle heavily oiled with a few dessicant packs in the soft case. No rust so far. Also I take the rifle out at least once a week to shoot it or clean/oil it regardless of whether or not it's been shot since the last cleaning.

Also pelican currently uses closed-cell foam in their cases which won't absorb moisture the way other foams will. Also I think the pressure release valve would help with moisture problems related to temperature/pressure changes. Having said that, I did remove the foam from mine. For some people a safe is simply not an option, my house is 220 years old, with no closets and wall construction without studs and beams that are code nowadays. There is simply no place to hide/bolt down a safe in this house.

Simply saying "your stick will rust in a pelican case" without knowing any of the details is rude and not very helpful. With proper care I feel safe storing mine in my pelican. Besides it gives me more reasons to take it out and fondle it. In my opinion the best way to prevent rust is to get out and shoot it and keep it clean and oiled.

Proper maintenance and lubrication goes a long way, and that's not just true for firearms.

Pix.
Love old houses.

/de-rail
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 6:01:57 AM EDT
[#45]
I keep quite a few rifles in soft side cases.  Always have, never had a problem.  But I generally have them out at least once a year and always wipe them down with some oil before putting them away again.  I do the same with the rifles in my gun cabinet.
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 8:09:05 AM EDT
[#46]
How about screwing two hangers into the wall closet wall above the door and hanging it up there.

Or hang it from a hook on the wall muzzle down behind your clothes.
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 5:54:28 PM EDT
[#47]
I pretty much store mines broken down in a soft gun case with full pmags with the dust covers on. Is that fine? Summer is approaching and humidity gets insane around here. If I add desiccants, would they help or is the nylon bag just too breathable?
Link Posted: 3/19/2012 4:32:44 AM EDT
[#48]
When i'm home i leave my AR out. I take it into every room i go in. I like to fondle & hold it admiring it. When i go to bed i take it with me and it rests right beside me as i sleep. When i leave home if it doesn't go with me i put it into the hidden safe. Maybe i'm weird
Link Posted: 3/19/2012 5:51:13 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I pretty much store mines broken down in a soft gun case with full pmags with the dust covers on. Is that fine? Summer is approaching and humidity gets insane around here. If I add desiccants, would they help or is the nylon bag just too breathable?

I'd be careful storing it in any kind of foam gun case if it gets ultra humid. It's better to oil it decently well and stand it up in a gun rack or in your closet.

If you're really paranoid like me, a BoreStores gun sock does the job pretty well, too. Although they still recommend you oil the gun well before putting it in there if you're going to store it for a long time.

Link Posted: 3/19/2012 9:48:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd be careful storing it in any kind of foam gun case if it gets ultra humid. It's better to oil it decently well and stand it up in a gun rack or in your closet.

If you're really paranoid like me, a BoreStores gun sock does the job pretty well, too. Although they still recommend you oil the gun well before putting it in there if you're going to store it for a long time.

i store mine in a foam case and so far so good.but i live in a desert area.i also use a gun sock if i store it long term..
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top