BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 9:54:30 AM EDT
[#1]
An interesting note, IIRC, Pat Rogers was a reservist assigned to the Marine Corps foreign materiel acquisition and exploitation program and was one of those Marines who got some intimate range time with the XM4 in 1986.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 7:56:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Some more pictures same upper.
View Quote

IMHO, though it looks like a nice little piece, that upper looks more like a mix-master of parts than anything else to me.  

FNMI upper with teardrop forward assist and flat slip ring, with an early Colt RO723 or 727 .625 barrel is almost certainly not a factory configuration, nor an XM4 program upper.  

A lot of folks seem to be mistaking Colt commercial/export carbines, USAF or IDF mixmasters, or other carbines from the mid-1980s on as somehow representative of the XM4 or M4/M4A1 - remember that most of these developments, though superficially similar, and/or designed to retroactively mimic the features of the M4 series, are wholly separate from them.  The RO727 "M16A2 Carbine," though looking quite similar to the XM4 is in many ways only a distant cousin, not a direct descendant - GUU-5/Ps and IDF carbines are even further removed.

~Augee
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 8:47:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

IMHO, though it looks like a nice little piece, that upper looks more like a mix-master of parts than anything else to me.  

FNMI upper with teardrop forward assist and flat slip ring, with an early Colt RO723 or 727 .625 barrel is almost certainly not a factory configuration, nor an XM4 program upper.  

A lot of folks seem to be mistaking Colt commercial/export carbines, USAF or IDF mixmasters, or other carbines from the mid-1980s on as somehow representative of the XM4 or M4/M4A1 - remember that most of these developments, though superficially similar, and/or designed to retroactively mimic the features of the M4 series, are wholly separate from them.  The RO727 "M16A2 Carbine," though looking quite similar to the XM4 is in many ways only a distant cousin, not a direct descendant - GUU-5/Ps and IDF carbines are even further removed.

~Augee
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some more pictures same upper.

~Augee

GUU-5/Ps are still my favorite, AND now there ARE FN marked M4 uppers....
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 7:57:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Thanks for posting that. When I have an afternoon free I will finish reading it. Nice work
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Alright, here is the timeline of the M4, from September 1984 to April 2009.  Also some info related to the M4.  I may have included non-M4 related stuff on accident as it all started to blend together after a while

M4 Timeline

Thanks for posting that. When I have an afternoon free I will finish reading it. Nice work

Quoted:
Quoted:
Alright, here is the timeline of the M4, from September 1984 to April 2009.  Also some info related to the M4.  I may have included non-M4 related stuff on accident as it all started to blend together after a while

M4 Timeline

Outstanding work!

thanks!
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 12:31:55 PM EDT
[#5]
found this pic online, said it was Delta in Colombia...M4 barrel, some type of A1 sighted upper...

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 12:34:31 PM EDT
[#6]
hey Augee,  add this one to your clones

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 12:53:32 PM EDT
[#7]

taped on maglites..
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 2:13:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
found this pic online, said it was Delta in Colombia...M4 barrel, some type of A1 sighted upper...

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h45/Xilsom/Columbia3-1.jpg
View Quote

In 2002 while I was in Afghanistan, I saw a carbine almost identical to that one being used by an AF dude. I'm pretty sure he was a combat controller. He was attached to our BN.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 2:38:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

In 2002 while I was in Afghanistan, I saw a carbine almost identical to that one being used by an AF dude. I'm pretty sure he was a combat controller. He was attached to our BN.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

GUU-5/P most likely
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 2:58:37 PM EDT
[#10]
kind of on topic..an adapter on a pencil barrel to allow m203 mounting..

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 3:12:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Looks like a 723 and an early plate carrier.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 3:27:39 PM EDT
[#12]
One thing specops does is burn out barrels pretty quickly, so a 723 rebarreled with an M4 barrel is probably pretty common.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:38:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
One thing specops does is burn out barrels pretty quickly, so a 723 rebarreled with an M4 barrel is probably pretty common.
View Quote

As well as being built that way to begin with. A very practical, 'easy to do' build.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top