Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 7/8/2022 6:37:16 PM EDT
Looks like it will be an interesting setup. Not sure if I dig it or not but it certainly is interesting.

GBRS Group Hydra Mount Overview
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 6:44:14 PM EDT
[#1]
They're all coming at once, but GBRS will be first to market. Jagerwerks has been teasing their own design. HRF is making an attachment for the Unity FAST.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 6:54:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They're all coming at once, but GBRS will be first to market. Jagerwerks has been teasing their own design. HRF is making an attachment for the Unity FAST.
View Quote

I had heard rumors that G made the mount for GBRS but no idea if that is true.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 11:32:57 PM EDT
[#3]
From what I saw on IG they're awfully proud of their mount.  The pics on the GBRS look like it's cerakoted, but I don't know for sure.

Link Posted: 7/8/2022 11:44:25 PM EDT
[#4]
interesting solution. I personally don't run subguns so Ill pass but more options is always a good thing.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 11:08:10 AM EDT
[#5]
GBRS mount is cerekoted
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 3:07:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Other than the price, I don’t get the hate.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 6:33:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Other than the price, I don’t get the hate.
View Quote

Because most people here don't do what the mounts are designed for.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 6:44:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Mount is damn near the cost of a T2.

Link Posted: 7/9/2022 6:52:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Ouch on the price. Is this basically meant for subguns?
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 7:00:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ouch on the price. Is this basically meant for subguns?
View Quote
its specifically made to address lack of rail space on tiny guns.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 7:34:21 PM EDT
[#11]
549. That’s pretty funny.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 7:43:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
549. That’s pretty funny.
View Quote

FDE is already sold out.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 7:58:32 PM EDT
[#13]
The strange part is the optic mount is plenty high for passive shooting.  Why emit?
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 10:40:40 PM EDT
[#14]
So is this thing 2.9 as opposed to the standard 1.5 or 1.9 tall mounts or stupid tall 2.2 mounts?
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 10:59:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So is this thing 2.9 as opposed to the standard 1.5 or 1.9 tall mounts or stupid tall 2.2 mounts?
View Quote

If you know you know.  Obviously you don’t.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 11:31:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So I’m guessing a simple answer is too much to ask?
Yes I have nods, but I don’t shoot passively because I run an lpvo. I understand you get the whole head straighter and able to shoot passively blah blah blah.
I’m also aware of the many issues that higher mounts also cause.
I was just asking for a simple answer. I also had questions about the mounts weights.  Is that another of you know you know situation?
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 11:34:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yes I have nods, but I don’t shoot passively because I run an lpvo. I understand you get the whole head straighter and able to shoot passively blah blah blah.
I was just asking for a simple answer. I also had questions about the mounts weights.  Is that another of you know you know situation?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

GBRS Hydra Mount
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 11:44:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Stupid skeptical about it until a buddy showed me what they were talking about.

I believe in it now after doing it and it sucks.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 11:49:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not following this comment.

You were skeptical.  A buddy showed you intent.  You believe in it now.  And it sucks.

Wat?
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 11:50:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You were skeptical.  A buddy showed you intent.  You believe in it now.  And it sucks.

Wat?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wat?

I was just going to post the same thing. lol
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 12:09:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Wat?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wat?

The mount WORKS.. all I am saying is that ..their video sounded gimmicky. A buddy with NODs recreated what they were talking about. I just always assumed everyone uses their IR lasers to shoot with NODs.

didn't know and forgot about moving your head with NODS.....keeping the optic high makes sense.

I just was so used to having it low but wearing NODs...different ball game and I get it now.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 12:14:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The mount WORKS.. all I am saying is that ..their video sounded gimmicky. A buddy with NODs recreated what they were talking about. I just always assumed everyone uses their IR lasers to shoot with NODs.

didn't know and forgot about moving your head with NODS.....keeping the optic high makes sense.

I just was so used to having it low but wearing NODs...different ball game and I get it now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wat?

So what sucks in your opinion?  The old low-mount way?  It wasn't clear in your former post.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 12:46:04 AM EDT
[#23]
These mounts seem like if you were to use your illuminator you'd get a lot of splash off your handguard and hands and anything else on the front of your gun, causing your NODs to autogate. Am I wrong?
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 8:00:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
These mounts seem like if you were to use your illuminator you'd get a lot of splash off your handguard and hands and anything else on the front of your gun, causing your NODs to autogate. Am I wrong?
View Quote

I believe that’s why everything is floating in space.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 8:46:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, you’re wrong. Obviously if you have a massive rail, that might happen, but your laser illumination is tighter than that. If you have a mawl in medium or LR, no issues. If you have a peq/ngal, just adjust the beam narrower. On a civ peq, the illumination is so bad that you shouldn’t ever hit that setting anyway.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 8:48:51 AM EDT
[#26]
For those saying they don’t get it or nobody will ever buy it considering the price, think about this: maybe it’s solving a problem that you just haven’t experienced?

For what it’s worth, it sold out both colors in its early release, and FDE is already sold on after a few hours of the general release. People, myself included, see how this mount could be very beneficial. The fact that several other companies are about to release similar mounts says something.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 8:52:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Basically you can get a modern forward c-clamp grip on a weapon without getting IR splash back from your laser.

Even with an optic that tall using NODs and shooting with a laser is still better in certain situations and regardless sometimes you need to illuminate in the very darkest of dark.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 9:58:15 AM EDT
[#28]
This would be a great mount for a MCX, since mounting the laser on the handguard will give you shift, while installing your laser back towards the middle of the gun on the receiver will just be obstructed by your support grip.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 11:14:10 AM EDT
[#29]
I really wanted this mount but the price is just too far off the mark for me to purchase.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 11:23:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Several negative reviews on their website because of the price, yet it is sold out in both colors.

Link Posted: 7/10/2022 11:33:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Several negative reviews on their website because of the price, yet it is sold out in both colors.

View Quote

The vast majority of dudes that buy these aren’t using it for the capability it provides.  My training consists of bumpfiring at dirtclods at 15 feet.  I don’t need it.

Most dudes are buying this for clout and posting pics.  This is the gun version of the $800 defcon Vans shoes.  

GBRS is doing what most “drop” oriented companies; throttling supply to increase demand along with good marketing and paying other high speed dudes to use it/post pics of using it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 2:27:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The vast majority of dudes that buy these aren’t using it for the capability it provides.  My training consists of bumpfiring at dirtclods at 15 feet.  I don’t need it.

Most dudes are buying this for clout and posting pics.  This is the gun version of the $800 defcon Vans shoes.  

GBRS is doing what most “drop” oriented companies; throttling supply to increase demand along with good marketing and paying other high speed dudes to use it/post pics of using it.
View Quote

Why does that matter if it does something I need it to do better than any other option currently on the market?
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 2:42:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The strange part is the optic mount is plenty high for passive shooting.  Why emit?
View Quote

Passive doesn’t work too well when it’s pretty fucking dark.

I thought the mount was cool for it’s intended purpose. Running it on a MK18, MPX, or anything real short would make things a lot easier running the gun in a more comfortable manner.

Five and a half bones, I think I could make something like an LT101 or similar work just fine with a myriad of T1 mounts out there. Damn.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 2:46:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think you’re exactly right; cool high speed dudes running boujee shit certainly sells, especially when you run drops. I’ve been victim of telling myself I needed something when the product goes out of stuff within minutes of it being posted
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 10:21:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Have one on the way, I’m intrigued.

But also bummed, things like allen instead of torx on the mounting screws. Like..the fuck?
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 10:28:59 PM EDT
[#36]
I think I'd rather just turn a KAC skyscraper mount so the rails pointed towards the muzzle and accomplish what I'm guessing is the same thing for far less dollars spent.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 11:35:57 PM EDT
[#37]
I've seen a picture of someone with a Unity tall mount for red dot and a Unity EOtech riser that seems to accomplish the same thing.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 11:40:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I think I'd rather just turn a KAC skyscraper mount so the rails pointed towards the muzzle and accomplish what I'm guessing is the same thing for far less dollars spent.
View Quote

It works, but you you can't access the battery without removing the PEQ first.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 12:08:04 AM EDT
[#39]
I wonder how high the laser riser is.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 3:28:26 AM EDT
[#40]
for half the price you could just buy a longer rail.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 9:09:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I've seen a picture of someone with a Unity tall mount for red dot and a Unity EOtech riser that seems to accomplish the same thing.
View Quote

anyone have this pic?
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 9:54:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

anyone have this pic?
View Quote

Posted by someone on a private P&S board:

Attachment Attached File

Not as elegant as the Hydra and still not inexpensive, unless you already have some or all of these risers.

Link Posted: 7/11/2022 10:05:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Posted by someone on a private P&S board:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/475543/1657078831331RR_jpg-2448774.JPG

Not as elegant as the Hydra and still not inexpensive, unless you already have some or all of these risers.

View Quote

There was another one that was purpose built.  It actually connected to the FAST mount rather than just stacking mounts.  I can’t find the pic though.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 10:19:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

There was another one that was purpose built.  It actually connected to the FAST mount rather than just stacking mounts.  I can’t find the pic though.
View Quote

The HRF Concepts SKIFF. It is still being developed.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 10:24:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep, that’s the one I was thinking of.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 10:26:25 AM EDT
[#46]
XrayAlpha, Matt Pranka, former CAG guy absolutely hates this mount lol. He posted a video this morning on instagram on how you don't need these super tall mounts for passive aiming. Video showed him raising his rifle without nods. Then with nods. Presentation was the same and he could see through his tube and through his Eotech EXPS.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 10:49:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
XrayAlpha, Matt Pranka, former CAG guy absolutely hates this mount lol. He posted a video this morning on instagram on how you don't need these super tall mounts for passive aiming. Video showed him raising his rifle without nods. Then with nods. Presentation was the same and he could see through his tube and through his Eotech EXPS.
View Quote

I definitely think there’s a limit, with 1.9”-2ish” being the sweet spot,  but lower 1/3rd is the bare minimum, imo. For running nods or armor, higher than a L1/3rd is definitely great. Not that you can’t do it, it’s just so much easier and much for forgiving, plus less strain on your neck.

This mount putting the optic at nearly 3” is… interesting..
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 11:01:07 AM EDT
[#48]
With all the drama surrounding that company I rather not support them honestly. If they treat "their brothers" that way I just wonder how they treat everyone else.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 11:35:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unity tac integration which sits slightly lower than the GRS system
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 11:37:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I definitely think there’s a limit, with 1.9”-2ish” being the sweet spot,  but lower 1/3rd is the bare minimum, imo. For running nods or armor, higher than a L1/3rd is definitely great. Not that you can’t do it, it’s just so much easier and much for forgiving, plus less strain on your neck.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lower 1/3 won't cut it for most.  Don't care what Matt shows, too many have tried with lower 1/3 for passive and it's bad.  Also, not everyone wants the larger-windowed Etch for multiple reasons.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top