Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/29/2019 12:25:56 PM EDT
Has anyone had any first hand experience with one of the new Holosun 503R optics? It appears to be identical to form and function of the Aimpoint T2 with more features.

Holosun 503R

I ordered one out of curiosity and I will report once it arrives but I was curios if anyone beat me to it.

UPDATE: IT ARRIVED TODAY 4/30/2019

Needless to say I am very impressed with this optic for the price. The brightness selector has good detents but it isn't difficult to rotate. Both reticles are SUPER BRIGHT on 10-12. It also apparently has 2 Night Vision Settings. Changing from the dot to the cirlce dot is as easy and rolling it over to the setting after 12 and then back to 12. I have three budget Vortex Crossfire optics that mimic the T1/T2. Every other red dot/holographic sight I own is either Aimpoint, Trijicon, or Eotech I always struggled with the Vortex Items not being bright enough outside on the brightest setting outside on a Sunny Day. The Holosun blows the Vortex out of the water hands down. The best part about the 503R is that I can by 4 of them and still be slightly under the price of a T2. Needless to say the Holosun 503R will be replacing ALL of my Budget Red Dot Optics!

Now I just need to wait for Unity Tactical to get FAST Mounts back in stock and I will be all set!
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 12:28:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one and it's been Flawless for me.
I bought it mainly for the shake awake feature for my bedside rifle, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 12:58:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have one and it's been Flawless for me.
I bought it mainly for the shake awake feature for my bedside rifle, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one
View Quote
Is the brightness control similar in feel to the T1/T2?
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 1:49:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Is the brightness control similar in feel to the T1/T2?
View Quote
I've never had a T1 / T2 so I cannot give you an answer
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 2:47:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't have the 503R but I do have the 403R and the glass is very clear. Dot looks nice and crisp. The rotary knob moves with a bit less resistance than my T2 but it's smooth and has clicks you can feel in each position. The only opportunity I see is that there is a red glare when you have a light to your rear where as I don't see that near as bad with my T2. Seems that's an issue with most mid-range red dots though.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 3:01:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I don't have the 503R but I do have the 403R and the glass is very clear. Dot looks nice and crisp. The rotary knob moves with a bit less resistance than my T2 but it's smooth and has clicks you can feel in each position. The only opportunity I see is that there is a red glare when you have a light to your rear where as I don't see that near as bad with my T2. Seems that's an issue with most mid-range red dots though.
View Quote
Very glad to hear that. I was concerned about the rotary knob not having sufficient detents for a nice crisp selection.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 8:15:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Very glad to hear that. I was concerned about the rotary knob not having sufficient detents for a nice crisp selection.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, I wouldn't say they're crisp but they're there. Honestly I wouldn't even say my T2 has crisp clicks.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 11:43:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Also check out the SIG Romeo 5 line. SIG has all of the features/options as well.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 11:25:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Updated!
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 10:47:33 AM EDT
[#9]
You mentioned a Unity Tactical fast mount so this may not matter to you, but keep in mind these already sit higher than a T1/T2. You are going to end up with a really tall optic.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 12:33:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You mentioned a Unity Tactical fast mount so this may not matter to you, but keep in mind these already sit higher than a T1/T2. You are going to end up with a really tall optic.
View Quote
You're saying it doesn't have the same optical center line as the T1/T2?

It comes with a lower 1/3 mount. It is my understand that lower 1/3 is pretty much uniform across the board or maybe .100" off MAX.

Because I just called Holosun and they said that it is the same foot print. They also said that the optical centerline should be identical.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 1:38:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Looking at the pictures, it looks to have the exact dimensions as the 403R, which I have. Mounts do not seem to have a standard height. I had a Geissele lower 1/3 mount and it was the perfect height, but didn't care for the mount. Bought a Larue lower 1/3 and it was unusable. Bought an ADM absolute mount and it gives me a good lower 1/3 with the 403R.

The picture below is the factory lower 1/3 mount and ADM absolute mount.

Link Posted: 5/1/2019 3:00:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Looking at the pictures, it looks to have the exact dimensions as the 403R, which I have. Mounts do not seem to have a standard height. I had a Geissele lower 1/3 mount and it was the perfect height, but didn't care for the mount. Bought a Larue lower 1/3 and it was unusable. Bought an ADM absolute mount and it gives me a good lower 1/3 with the 403R.

The picture below is the factory lower 1/3 mount and ADM absolute mount.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d155/twpayne75/rifles/20190412_095802_zpslyan3d4x.jpg
View Quote
I know Larue lists the optic centerline for the majority of their mounts. However, as long as the optic itself is concerned if the center line of the t1/t2 is the same as the center line of the 503R then it should be identical to whatever the manufacture of the mount says the center line will be at.

I run an Eotech Exps2 on a KDG riser and that claims to be a center line height of 2.26" with everything added into the equation. The unity FAST Mount should be the same height as the eotech setup I currently Run.

Here is the Eotech.

Here is the way I have the 503R Setup now which should be the same height as the FAST or very close to it.

Here is a SR-16 inspired build that uses the KAC 2.26" Mount. I will compare the two of them later when I get home and post a pic.

I do see what you are saying now from looking more in depth at your pictures. I will have to do some investigation later tonight on this matter with some different mounts. I have a plethora of mounts to play with.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 7:16:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Here is a Vortex Crossfire and a Holosun 503R BOTH on a Geissele 1.93" Mount.

They in fact are different. I roughly measured .175" Higher for the 503R. That would put the center line at roughly 2.10" on a 1.93" Mount.

I may end up going with a Scalarworks 1.93" mount.

Link Posted: 5/1/2019 8:48:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Good deal. Thought I might mention it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 9:27:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Good deal. Thought I might mention it.
View Quote
I appreciate it! I'm just going to go with a Scalarworks 1.93 and be in the same ball park for height. Then I can still run my fixed iron front and flip up sight because of the window in that mount.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 3:47:51 AM EDT
[#16]
I do not own a Holosun, but have 2 x T2s. 1 is  piggybaged to a scope and the other on Scalar 1.93".

I recently picked up a Romeo 5, with similar features to the Holosun aforementioned. It was readily available to me st the time and i liked the angelar shape of the Sig. i do not have many rounds on it. Very impressed. I know enough to see the differences in wuality but the delta is certainly closing towards aimpoint's disadvantage.
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 8:15:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Did some reading, apparently these might be made with an Amber dot.

Color blind friendly?
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 11:51:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Did some reading, apparently these might be made with an Amber dot.

Color blind friendly?
View Quote
They make two versions. Red or Amber. I’m curious why they would make one that color over green.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 11:31:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Apparently amber is a solution for colorblind people. I'm curious if that color will be any better for those with astigmatism.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 1:44:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Apparently amber is a solution for colorblind people. I'm curious if that color will be any better for those with astigmatism.
View Quote
I wish, astigmatism is more of a refraction issue.

When it's dark at night and you have devices plugged in that have LED lights. For me they still look like a streak or smear regardless of color. I noticed the circle dot reticle is pretty clear for me.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 12:23:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Mine is very clear and I have astigmatism in both eyes. Not bad enough where I need contacts  but this are blurry at distances for me.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 5:11:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Does anyone know if the flip caps for the T2 work on these Holosuns?
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 7:59:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Does anyone know if the flip caps for the T2 work on these Holosuns?
View Quote
https://holosun.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=69

Holosun makes flip caps, has not been updated to show compatibility (if it is or isn't) with the 503R though.

Back on topic, anyone want to share their experiences with this model's gold reticle option?
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 10:34:39 PM EDT
[#24]
I have the gold reticle. Its more like neon yellow with a touch of nuclear green. Against white backgrounds it looks more amber.

Dont get too excited about the 100k battery life at setting six. Setting six is unusable in the daytime or with a weapon light.

You need to leave this thing on at 8 or 9 to have a always on usable reticle. 10-12 get too bright for low light but are perfect outside on a bright day. 8-9 is the sweet spot for low light, weapon light, outside, inside, day / night.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 11:53:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have the gold reticle. Its more like neon yellow with a touch of nuclear green. Against white backgrounds it looks more amber.

Dont get too excited about the 100k battery life at setting six. Setting six is unusable in the daytime or with a weapon light.

You need to leave this thing on at 8 or 9 to have a always on usable reticle. 10-12 get too bright for low light but are perfect outside on a bright day. 8-9 is the sweet spot for low light, weapon light, outside, inside, day / night.
View Quote
Wonder if it was mainly intended for those who are color blind? idk
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 5:55:41 PM EDT
[#26]
I ended up ordering one of these to replace my Vortex Crossfire red dot. Hoping I can run one in my offset ADM mount but at the very least it will end up on a pistol upper.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 6:04:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Here is a Vortex Crossfire and a Holosun 503R BOTH on a Geissele 1.93" Mount.

They in fact are different. I roughly measured .175" Higher for the 503R. That would put the center line at roughly 2.10" on a 1.93" Mount.

I may end up going with a Scalarworks 1.93" mount.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/32809578347_abfd79f9ab_h.jpg
View Quote
@allensaldi

Do you by chance have this picture from a top-down view, ie looking at the top of the receiver? I'm curious if the rheostat on the Holosun unit sticks out much further than the Vortex.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 1:16:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

@allensaldi

Do you by chance have this picture from a top-down view, ie looking at the top of the receiver? I'm curious if the rheostat on the Holosun unit sticks out much further than the Vortex.
View Quote
I will get you one here in a few when I get a chance.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 2:42:30 PM EDT
[#29]
@WEK207

Link Posted: 7/7/2019 3:26:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Thank you!
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 10:23:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Since the HS503R  sits slightly higher than a T2, has anybody had any luck getting a magnifier to line up at the correct height behind the HS503R?
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 5:46:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Since the HS503R  sits slightly higher than a T2, has anybody had any luck getting a magnifier to line up at the correct height behind the HS503R?
View Quote
I have not tried any magnifiers. I am actually switching the optic out with a T2 and Unity FAST Mount. I will probably toss it on a different gun.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 8:08:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Any reason your changing to a T2??
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 7:32:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Any reason your changing to a T2??
View Quote
Yah, I think that the Holosun Will be too high with the Unity Mount. I may be wrong though.

The holosun on a 1.93" mount is pretty close to 2.15" or so. I have to see how it looks before I switch over to the T2.

Here it is on a 1.93" mount vs the KAC 2.33".

Link Posted: 8/8/2019 8:14:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Picture of tint on the glass?
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 10:10:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Interesting seeing $150 RDS on $150 mounts.

The SIG and Holosun have 'similar features' because they are made in the same Chinese Factory.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 10:32:01 PM EDT
[#37]
does it have blue tinted glass like thr TRS-25 ?

pic stolen from goohgle

Link Posted: 8/8/2019 10:42:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Interesting seeing $150 RDS on $150 mounts.

The SIG and Holosun have 'similar features' because they are made in the same Chinese Factory.
View Quote
I've made it through this season so far with the Holosun. I've had zero issues with it on the Scalarworks or the Geissele Mount. I haven't been soft on it either. It has seen at least 2,500 Rounds so far and still keeps chugging away. Personally, 2,500 rds on something isn't really a high round count in my eyes. However, it is all that I've been able to shoot so far with it due to my work schedule being consumed with weekend travel work. With that being said, my goal was to give it a far test and I didn't want to skimp out on the mount. I've had it on a lower 1/3 and 1.93" Scalarworks mount along with a Geissle 1.93". I'm kind of disappointed though because I thought I'd have a chance and co-witnessing Iron signs through the Scalarworks 1.93" but that is not the case. That is another large part of why I wanted to switch to the Unity Fast mount. I'm just not sure if it will be higher than the 2.33" KAC mount with the T2 Optical Centerline. If the centerline is lower that the KAC/T2 Setup I will for sure run the 503R on the Unity Mount and just order another FAST for my T2.

The 503R model is more than $150 though. Dealer cost is over $150.00.

But, as far as I can tell, it is a pretty darn good optic. The brightness level selections are more crisp than the T2. It has the circle dot, which I like, too. My only grip is that it doesn't share the same optical center line. Literally, that is my only issue with the 503R.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 10:50:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

does it have blue tinted glass like thr TRS-25 ?

pic stolen from goohgle

.http://i56.tinypic.com/307st38.jpg
View Quote
There is a very slight Blue Tint. It is only slightly more than the T2. However, the T2 has almost no blue tint.

The picture may make it look a lot worse but I was just trying to capture the most blue I can in both. You honestly don't even notice the blue in either. It's nothing like the Blue tint of an RMR or a MRO.

First Pic T2 Second 503R

I will say this though. The emitter is CLEAR on the 503R. The dot and circle dot are very, surprisingly, very crisp.

Link Posted: 8/8/2019 10:55:56 PM EDT
[#40]
thanks

Link Posted: 8/8/2019 11:04:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

thanks

View Quote
You're Welcome.

Let me just say this. If you're looking to spend $300 or less on an optic, BUY THIS ONE.

If you've got a little more cash and size isn't a major factor, get an Aimpoint pro. If you want it all, minus the circle dot, just nut up and buy the T2.

Oooooorrrrrrrr, buy the 503R and spend the rest on training and ammo. A good class will test the limits of the 503R.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 10:47:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
I am intrigued by the gold reticle although I am not colorblind.  After many years of looking at red or green I am ready for a change.  
Holosun HE512C-GD
Thinking about ordering a HE512C-GD (currently sold out though) to replace one of my 5 year old 403A's that stopped waking up.  I can turn it on but shake awake is toast.  I like the fully enclosed design of the 512C's and the MRS system (3 reticle choices).  Also like the quick access to the battery compartment.  I am pretty sure it does but before I order would like to make sure it will wake with previous settings.  Can you confirm with your model?

I know it is expensive but I am willing to pay for the multiple innovations and the reason it is sold out is hopefully because it is worth the cost.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 10:55:39 PM EDT
[#43]
I've had a few Holosuns. For the $, solid optics but they're not in the same league as an Aimpoint micro.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 11:19:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I've had a few Holosuns. For the $, solid optics but they're not in the same league as an Aimpoint micro.
View Quote
I have owned Holosun for a while and they have indeed been very good optics.  My birthday is coming up and I have also been looking at the highly rated Aimpoint T-2 which is around 800 I believe.  (If I go for that one I will probably not order from Amazon I read folks are often receiving counterfeit ones.)  The gold reticle along with the MRS system on the Holosun 512 has got me interested.  I am in no hurry either way.  Will read up on threads relating to user experiences in the meantime.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 2:49:27 AM EDT
[#45]
I replaced all my T2s EXCEPT one with Holosuns.  
It's been years and I've never had a problem--so the T2 is gone.
I'm not a brand snob, but I think Aimpoint is great because they're so bulletproof.
I'm just convinced Holosun is 99.99% as bulletproof.
And it's not just the advantage of a circle-dot reticle; the shake awake feature means the emitter won't burn out as soon as constant on ones will (and some versions have solar, which I like even if I don't use it).

NOTE:
I want to get the titanium HE512T ELITE (which is like 6.7 ounces and has a large square window). It also has solar. It'll be the most expensive Holosun yet at $520, but it's basically a titanium shell around a 510C.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 7:49:12 AM EDT
[#46]
I have a pretty bad astigmatism and I looked at the T2 and Holosun 503R at a local gun shop. The Holosun circle dot looked much more round to my eyes so I went with it. Also, the 503R dot is a is perfect round dot when I put a magnifier behind it (i.e. the T2 was also a perfect round dot when a magnifier was put behind it).

The holosun has been great on my DDM4V7s.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 11:50:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I replaced all my T2s EXCEPT one with Holosuns.  
It's been years and I've never had a problem--so the T2 is gone.
I'm not a brand snob, but I think Aimpoint is great because they're so bulletproof.
I'm just convinced Holosun is 99.99% as bulletproof.
And it's not just the advantage of a circle-dot reticle; the shake awake feature means the emitter won't burn out as soon as constant on ones will (and some versions have solar, which I like even if I don't use it).

NOTE:
I want to get the titanium HE512T ELITE (which is like 6.7 ounces and has a large square window). It also has solar. It'll be the most expensive Holosun yet at $520, but it's basically a titanium shell around a 510C.
View Quote
The company tells me they are not sold out just not yet available.   The GD ones.  I def want one though.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 11:59:57 AM EDT
[#48]
The only issue I have is that the optical center line is higher than that of a T1/T2.

I'm not sure why they did that .....
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 1:06:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I am intrigued by the gold reticle although I am not colorblind.  After many years of looking at red or green I am ready for a change.  
Holosun HE512C-GD
Thinking about ordering a HE512C-GD (currently sold out though) to replace one of my 5 year old 403A's that stopped waking up.  I can turn it on but shake awake is toast.  I like the fully enclosed design of the 512C's and the MRS system (3 reticle choices).  Also like the quick access to the battery compartment.  I am pretty sure it does but before I order would like to make sure it will wake with previous settings.  Can you confirm with your model?

I know it is expensive but I am willing to pay for the multiple innovations and the reason it is sold out is hopefully because it is worth the cost.
View Quote
Sorry I missed this conversation. My model is the standard dot with a rotary switch. Always on. I am not really interested in shake awake models. I want it always awake.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 11:11:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The only issue I have is that the optical center line is higher than that of a T1/T2.

I'm not sure why they did that .....
View Quote
Yep you have to be careful if you change the mount and you want to co-witness with irons.  I put my 503R on a Reptilia micro mount 1/3 co-witness and it's more like a 1/4 co-witness at best.  They are just at the edge of being practically usable.  I like the extra height without having to go to a 1.93" and losing irons completely or having to go with a QD version.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top