Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 9
Link Posted: 12/6/2012 5:03:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Your stock is well-executed. Fekkin brilliant.

Kudos.

Link Posted: 12/11/2012 2:41:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Entirely random, but this is how I went to work today.  

Link Posted: 12/11/2012 6:09:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for sharing your innovation. Kudos to you!  Thoughts and ideas, not guns, rule the world. (That's not to say that the guns don't help.)
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 6:11:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Whaddya bet that the OP's ideas get integrated into the next gen of slidefire's stock?  Now that they own the patent, then can steal your innovations and make money based off of your design improvements.  I hate antitrust law.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 8:27:03 PM EDT
[#5]
and my new agenda for tomorrow is gun store stock+grip & start fabbing.... sweet creation seriously thats sick.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 10:25:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Love it.

Great work friend,  I will be copying... er, I have been inspired by you.
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 6:24:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 5:50:21 PM EDT
[#8]
ShortyBP-  I received the upper, mags, and stock today.  I got it while I was heading out the door, so didn't really have time to mess with it yet.  Thanks for sending it, I can't wait to test it out!
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 11:18:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Does anyone know if this would work for a Smith and Wesson 15-22 (with a 3.5 lb trigger of course)
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 12:26:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I am about to be testing this with a Spikes tactical .22 upper and a CMMG FACTORY mil spec trigger.

I may be able to get my hands on a buddys S&W 15-22, but something tells me my stock won't fit it?  
I believe the size is different.  I will find out.
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 6:06:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I am about to be testing this with a Spikes tactical .22 upper and a CMMG FACTORY mil spec trigger.

I may be able to get my hands on a buddys S&W 15-22, but something tells me my stock won't fit it?  

the m&p 15-22 stock tube is mil spec
so hopefully it should work
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 7:00:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Google M&P 15-22 + Jard trigger.  I think it works real well, from what I have read.  I'm not sure which exact one works best, but I do know guys are using the Jard's.

At Midway....
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 7:04:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What I mean is that my stock, since it is built to fit a normal AR15, may not fit a 15-22 since I'm pretty sure the 15-22 lower is not the same as a normal AR lower.

I would have to bend and make it fit.

Link Posted: 12/21/2012 6:22:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What I mean is that my stock, since it is built to fit a normal AR15, may not fit a 15-22 since I'm pretty sure the 15-22 lower is not the same as a normal AR lower.

I would have to bend and make it fit.

gotcha
let me know how its works
iv seen videos online of guys using actual slidefire stock on their 15-22 but they usually have to have done some trigger work to make it happen
from what iv seen the JP yellow spring kit got it to work for a lot of them and its only a $10 upgrade
Link Posted: 1/3/2013 4:35:12 PM EDT
[#15]
brodband8,

Thanks for posting your idea and the work you have done.
I built one of these stocks over the weekend and it works great. I'd estimate it took ~12 hours to complete.

Some photos of the end result.

EDIT: The pictures worked great in "preview mode", so lets try these links:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/76442270/BF-Grip.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/76442270/BF-Overall.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/76442270/BF-Stock.jpg

Some things that I would change when or if building another:

* Change the location of the buffer tube that is milled so that the stock is at its furthest rearward position. But, milling the center of the buffer tube for this stock still works out well, since I can swap a "normal" stock back to the rifle and have it function correctly at the furthest rearward position.

* Heat treat the steel connector after it is formed to increase its strength.

* Parkerize the steel connector for better durability over paint or dye.

* Parkerize or annodize the finger rest for the same reason (assuming it is made from steel or aluminum and not plastic. I used aluminum).

* Come up with a faster method to fabricate and attach the finger guard.

* Use countersunk (flat head) bolts to hold everything together. I used some button heads that I had left over.

* Mill a shallow pocket into the stock so that the steel connector will lie flush with the surface of the stock.

* If milling a shallow pocket is not possible, file the stock flat where the steel connector will attach since the stock has a slightly rounded profile.

* Obtain black finish Nylon-insert locknuts (I used black Dykem dye to blacken plain steel ones).

* Experiment to see if a lower cost stock and grip could be used.
Link Posted: 1/3/2013 6:35:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Very cool man...  The pics aren't loading?

Also, the idea about milling the hole in a different spot is a good idea.

You could also just make a rubber plug that can be inserted into the hole to close the gap (for those that already milled the hole closest to the receiver.)
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 12:31:57 AM EDT
[#17]
With these bumpfire stocks. It makes me wonder why we even have the NFA.

IF you can essentially fire the same amount of rounds in the exact same time as a machine gun.
why do we even need to register machine guns.

Just food for thought.....

I bet once the anti's learn about this. they will try to pass something to ban it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 4:55:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

IF you can essentially fire the same amount of rounds in the exact same time as a machine gun.

I bet once the anti's learn about this. they will try to pass something to ban it.

What do you say we keep it to ourselves, then...

Link Posted: 1/4/2013 2:56:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

While an interesting toy, and perhaps a lot of fun, there is a world of difference between what is capable with a "bump fire stock" and the capabilities offered by a true select fire or automatic rifle or machine gun.  

While I am the last person to defend the use of these distinctions to limit rights, the notion that a bump fire stock is somehow equivalent to a true select fire weapon belies a complete and total lack of understanding of how automatic fire is employed in a fire and maneuver environment.  

The only way in which a bump fire stock is equivalent to true automatic firing is the ability to dump ammunition at approximately the same cyclic rate.  

The best of bump firers will tell you that they can accurately keep to a silhouette at 100m offhand relatively consistently while bump firing.  All good and well - not very useful for effective area suppression at 600+m.  Bump firing is inherently inaccurate (you are literally letting the weapon bounce back and forth in your hands) and awkward and unreliable at best, impossible at worst to do from a prone position.  

There is worlds and worlds more to what a machine gun does and is used for than simply "fire the exact same number of rounds in the exact same amount of time."

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 3:32:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Augee,

I agree entirely with you.

However, I have had zero issues bumpfiring while prone using my stock.

Link Posted: 1/4/2013 3:35:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Tastes-Like-Toast, AWESOME work.  I was finally able to see the pictures.

I do like how you cut the hole out of the bar so you can use the lever button on the stock to remove it.

I went around this by simply sanding down the piece that would pop out and hit the bar when trying to remove the stock.
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 1:41:16 PM EDT
[#22]
How did you all get around the safety selector spring? Did you tap it? I tried to tap mine with an 8-32 tap, but there was not enough room for the 8-32 x 3/16" screw and selector (not to mention I cant fit any spring in). I saw mention of the small 1/8" ball bearing, but how the heck did you guys get that to fit in there?

If I get around this hiccup, I should have my own setup finished by next weekend
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 6:28:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Yes, you are doing it right.

You literally have to either cut your detent down to 1/8, or get a ball bearing that is the same size.

Also, the detent spring needs to be cut to like 1/4 and then test fitted.  If it doesn't work then you slowly start making it smaller until it does.

Link Posted: 1/6/2013 5:58:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Very curious to see if/how it works on the 15/22 or AR w/22 upper
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 6:24:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Very curious to see if/how it works on the 15/22 or AR w/22 upper

Im working on one for my 15-22. Hope to have it done soon.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 10:36:13 AM EDT
[#26]
EKKsoldier622:

For the safety selector, I cut down the detent and the spring as others have mentioned. I'd suggest using a 10-24 tap over a 8-32 though. The hole in my lower was almost a perfect match for the suggest 10-24 drill size. a 10-32 tap would also work, but coarser threads in aluminum would be a better choice.
I did not have 10-24 set screw when I was working on mine and there was little chance of heading to the store for a $0.10 screw! I just took a 10-24 bolt and cut about 4 threads off of the end of it. Then made a nice straight and centered slot with a fine toothed hacksaw blade. A drop of Locktite will hold everything in place if there was any fear of the screw backing out. With a "normal" grip installed there would be no way for the screw to loosen out. I think this is one mod that should be done on every lower.

The detent pin seems to be pretty well hardened, so I'm not sure if anyone has tried to actually cut one. I found a file was having a tough time, so I moved on to an abrasive wheel to shorten it. A grinder or a Dremel should help out. Just keep the detent cool while cutting so that you don't spoil the hardness.

Cutting down the spring was a bit of trial and error. I assembled everything a few times and just cut a little off the spring each time until it felt right. Don't forget to grind/flatten the end of the spring again after trimming it off.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 11:15:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 2:17:58 PM EDT
[#28]
I used needle nose to hold it and a cut off wheel with a dremil.  Was pretty easy on a high speed setting.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 3:10:17 PM EDT
[#29]
I gave up any attempt at cutting the detent and ordered a 100 1/8" chrome ball bearings. I might got ahead and order some spare detent springs as well.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 5:33:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Taste-like-toast

I would of bought the slide fire if it look like yours.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/76442270/BF-Overall.jpg
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 5:46:43 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm going to be working on various other ones for some other rifles.  I will post pics when I get around to it.

Trying to adapt one to a UBR.
Link Posted: 1/12/2013 5:40:13 AM EDT
[#32]
this thing looks great, i just bought an ugly slidefire and wish i would have seen this first.
Link Posted: 1/12/2013 1:11:45 PM EDT
[#33]
The ball bearings worked out great and surprisingly got the spring length right on the first try. Now I have to drill the metal bar and coat it and I'll be good to go
Link Posted: 1/12/2013 2:01:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Well I for one say it's ugly as hell, but the functional aspect outweighs that! LOL

Besides the $350 you saved can buy you 40 rounds of 223 ammo from Cheaper than Dirt lol!
Link Posted: 1/12/2013 2:49:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Well I for one say it's ugly as hell, but the functional aspect outweighs that! LOL

Besides the $350 you saved can buy you 40 rounds of 223 ammo from Cheaper than Dirt lol!

Though I cannot agree with the first part, that second part is entirely true.  Might be able to get a Pmag for CTD's always low price of 99 dollars while I'm at it.

Link Posted: 1/12/2013 2:53:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Though I cannot agree with the first part, that second part is entirely true.  Might be able to get a Pmag for CTD's always low price of 99 dollars while I'm at it.

Sorry brother, was NOT trying to insult you.

What I was overly exaggerating was the piece of metal extending from the grip to the stock. Surely there has to be a way to replicate the bump fire's stock.  regardless very ingenious sir, my hats off to you!
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 1:07:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Can anyone say "patent infringement" .  

I am not an attorney and I believe that you are legal to build a device that is patented for your own use.  However if you ever offer one for sale, you can be sued for infringing on their patent.

As a second point, how much time have you spent building the stock?  Is your time worth anything?  You can quickly spend more building than just buying one used on gunbroker

As a final point everyone busted on Slidefire for building an "ugly" stock when their product first came out.  Theirs has nothing on ugly compared to yours.....lol

It doesn't look anything like the Bumpfire stock setup.
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 3:07:55 PM EDT
[#38]
I honestly feel that the way the stock and the pistol grip on the Slidefire attach with that huge, angled random piece of plastic, is ugly as hell.

I feel I did a pretty good job un-botching that by using that bar.  This was really the best I could come up with unless I had a CNC machine and
could mill out the entire unit from one piece.

Link Posted: 1/14/2013 10:25:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Question about the Metal Rod.
Guessing you got it at HD or Lowes? What department would someone find this in?
Sorry if this was covered somewhere in the 16 pages, just cant fight through the lengthy copyright debate to re-read it  

Nice job on the DIY. Thank you.

Quoted:
Everything used to make this stock I already owned.  I paid nothing to make this.
Materials I used were:

Magpul MOE grip
M4 Buttstock
Metal Rod
9 Screws
12 washers
One piece of 8x10 sheet metal

Tools I used were:

Dremil
Drill
Screwdriver

Link Posted: 1/14/2013 10:51:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Hey brodband check your messages if you could, sent you an IM.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 12:12:10 PM EDT
[#41]
I found the rod in lowes/home depot where they keep the sheet metal pieces.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 7:12:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 7:37:39 AM EDT
[#43]
The "slide iron stock" was just mentioned by Fienstien as one item she is planning to ban with the bill she introduced at 11 AM today.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 12:10:39 PM EDT
[#44]
I laughed so hard when I saw the article on that...  I still think she looks like Sloth from the Goonies.
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 12:39:54 PM EDT
[#45]
I've got my first attempt at this up and running.  Around $20.  I did the safety selector mod with an 1/8" ball bearing.

http://youtu.be/EivFMQHWTOM

Not pretty, but works great.  How they plan on outlawing something that can be made in a basement with a piece of steel and a dremel is beyond me.

Link Posted: 1/24/2013 1:21:00 PM EDT
[#46]
lordcliff
"How they plan on outlawing something that can be made in a basement with a piece of steel and a dremel is beyond me."

Beats the hell out of me.
I'm actually in the middle of making my own right now. I'm starting from scratch and making a plastic mold right now. I have the first part done, it's just a slow process right now. I can only work on this on the weekends. Great bump fire though!!
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 3:03:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I've got my first attempt at this up and running.  Around $20.  I did the safety selector mod with an 1/8" ball bearing.

Not pretty, but works great.  How they plan on outlawing something that can be made in a basement with a piece of steel and a dremel is beyond me.

Man I'm glad you got something to work.  Looks like it works great!

I'm glad you all are building these things.  It's not that hard afterall.

Best part in that video other than the stock actually working is when the brass takes out the camera lol.
Link Posted: 1/26/2013 6:54:12 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Best part in that video other than the stock actually working is when the brass takes out the camera lol.

Funny part is that I set it there and wondered if that would happen before I started.
Link Posted: 1/26/2013 9:54:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/27/2013 12:12:07 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

What is the 'safety selector mod' about?

Page / 9
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top