Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/2/2023 10:26:18 AM EDT
Rules
Existing optics
Realistic changes

I posted this on another forum and it kinda went off track a bit. I'd like to compare answers with the other thread.

For me:
Atacr 1-8 fc-dmx
1-increase fov by about 10%
2-drop the hold under dots
3-change the donut around the center dot. First, change the line thickness to .1mil, second either open the ring up a but more or close it. As of right now it's just too small to use as a donut of death. Opening it up would allow use of that while shrinking it down to about 1.5mils would make it look more like a solid dot.
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 10:58:27 AM EDT
[#1]
NXS 2.5-10x42

FFP
Mil-XT

Conversely, a 2-12x4x NX8 with the same two features.
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 11:33:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Meprolight RDS Pro v2.
Lighter w/longer battery life w/o sacrificing ruggedness/durability.
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 12:07:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Leupold Mk5 2-10x w/ illuminated h59 or similar Xmas tree reticle

Trij Credo 2-10x w/ adjustable parallax
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 12:37:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Poverty man here.

Vortex Viper PST 2:

- Make it shorter
- Shave a couple ounces off the weight
- Easier to turn magnification ring

Sig Romeo 5:

- Leave room for flip caps or ARD's, Romeo7s already mostly does these though

Bering Hogster R-35:

- Rear facing USB port for external battery
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 12:40:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
NXS 2.5-10x42

FFP
Mil-XT

View Quote

This x2..

Someone mentioned capped windage too, I think with the mil-xt I could get onboard with that.
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 12:51:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Poverty man here.

Vortex Viper PST 2:

- Make it shorter
- Shave a couple ounces off the weight
- Easier to turn magnification ring

Sig Romeo 5:

- Leave room for flip caps or ARD's, Romeo7s already mostly does these though

Bering Hogster R-35:

- Rear facing USB port for external battery
View Quote

I’m a blue collar working man, by no means rich. However, personally I hit a point where I realized that I would rather own fewer firearms/things and fund higher quality items, especially glass. I used to have 9 AR platform rifles. I’m now down to 4 and have a fund stashed for when NF or Leupold wakes up.. hence this thread
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 1:22:23 PM EDT
[#7]
If Trijicon got rid of the horizontal lines (stadia lines?) that are to the left and right of the reticle on the TA31H that would be okay by me. I rather have it clear side to side as it is with the TA31F.

That's all I got.
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 1:33:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Everyone should make their scope bodies the way leupold does it, billet or whatever. So that they are lighter weight.

Or leupold could just stop screwing up either the reticle or some random feature of their lineup and clean up the entire market.
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 2:03:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Tritium in a TR24 is useless. Save a few bucks there. Make a German #4 style Mil Dot reticle with 0.7 Mil center dot and 6 Mils of subtension. Whoever designed the magnification ring should be beaten. Retromod the TR25's so a lever doesn't fall off. I would trade longer eye relief for wider perceived FOV.
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 2:24:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Sig Tango 6 2-12x42. Shave weight 6oz. Is that realistic? Love everything else about it. I think this thing is over 30oz for a 2-12x.

I don’t own one, but I would like a Trijicon Credo 2-10 without a tree reticle. Same reticle they put in the 2.5-15 would be fabulous.
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 2:55:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Tritium in a TR24 is useless. Save a few bucks there. Make a German #4 style Mil Dot reticle with 0.7 Mil center dot and 6 Mils of subtension. Whoever designed the magnification ring should be beaten. Retromod the TR25's so a lever doesn't fall off. I would trade longer eye relief for wider perceived FOV.
View Quote

I've resisted a TR24 for quite some time now. My 11.5 currently has a T2 but I've always wanted to try one of these for a 0-300 type optic. I know you're a proponent of it though.
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 3:00:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Trijicon Credo HX.

Ship it with a larger throw lever. No reason an $800 optic can't come with a decent throw lever.

Make it a little lighter.

Try to make it like an Elcan and have the magnification just be either 1x or 6x, with a quick throw lever between the two ranges. I'm sure almost nobody uses the in-between ranges.

Aimpoint T2

They are perfection IMO but the one thing I would change would be to have it ship with a clear front cap like the H2 does.
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 5:14:51 PM EDT
[#13]
NF:
1. Euro diopters on the nx8 and ATACR
2. Ditch the terrible digilum push button for a traditional dial illumination.
3. Atacr line needs the magnification to not rotate the entire eyepiece.
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 9:15:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Everyone should make their scope bodies the way leupold does it, billet or whatever. So that they are lighter weight.

Or leupold could just stop screwing up either the reticle or some random feature of their lineup and clean up the entire market.
View Quote

Hard to top that.

Primary arms:
Get rid of the chevron (that was a compromise for a compromise optic).
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 11:36:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I’m a blue collar working man, by no means rich. However, personally I hit a point where I realized that I would rather own fewer firearms/things and fund higher quality items, especially glass. I used to have 9 AR platform rifles. I’m now down to 4 and have a fund stashed for when NF or Leupold wakes up.. hence this thread
View Quote

Same, I just have a lot of kids and its not that financially responsible for me to spend a lot of cash on guns these days.  I culled my AR's down to four as well.  Optics on rifles are:

- The PST 2 1-6, thermal, and Romeo5 on one rifle, all QD.  I'm happy with all of those.
- PA 5x Prism, the older large one on a Larue QD mount.  Pretty happy with this setup and the next step up is an ACOG and I just don't think its worth it for this rifle.
- PA 2.5x prism, the $100 from a couple months back.  On a light weight gun.  This one is a candidate for a new optic in the future.  I'll probably do a 3x prism.
- Romeo5 on a 2.33" Midwest Industries mount.  Probably my most pressing rifle that's looking for something new.  It'll probably end up with a variant of the Romeo4 on it next year.

For the price off each of these, there's just not a lot to complain about, that I didn't say already.  I'm more focused on putting rounds down range and pistol shooting right now.  My ACRO gets more trigger time than anything.
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 11:55:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Primary arms:
Get rid of the chevron (that was a compromise for a compromise optic).
View Quote

This ^^^

Across the board
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 12:36:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Fixed 4, 6, and 10x Accupoint.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 12:38:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Any credo or VCOG 10% brighter, they’re visible but not crazy bright. Accupoint with a acog reticle.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 12:39:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Aimpoint, circle dot reticle.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 5:41:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
NXS 2.5-10x42

FFP
Mil-XT

View Quote

NX8 2-16x40 FC-DMX
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 5:44:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Every time I buy an optic, it goes on sale the week afterwards. Why?
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 6:02:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Leupold should bring back the CQT with these changes.

1-4 instead of 1-3.
Increase objective to 20mm.
Grind all the rails off to a traditional profile to massively reduce weight.
Change the internal mount to ACOG pattern.
Use their BDC Firedot reticle in it.
Put their auto on feature in it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 6:10:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Leupold should bring back the CQT with these changes.

1-4 instead of 1-3.
Increase objective to 20mm.
Grind all the rails off to a traditional profile to massively reduce weight.
Change the internal mount to ACOG pattern.
Use their BDC Firedot reticle in it.
Put their auto on feature in it.
View Quote
That's a big IF  the manufacturer was listening.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 7:14:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
That's a big IF  the manufacturer was listening.
View Quote

Leupold most of all doesn’t listen either.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 8:57:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Aimpoint, circle dot reticle.
View Quote

I don't have an Aimpoint, and this is the #1 reason why.

I DO have a bunch of Sig Romeo 4's instead, but would like an Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 9:46:12 PM EDT
[#26]
More accupoint. 1-8 would be nice.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 10:51:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Primary Arms 3x micro.

Increase eye relief at the expense of fov. I’m talking TA33 or TA47 eye relief.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 1:51:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 1:09:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I don't have an Aimpoint, and this is the #1 reason why.

I DO have a bunch of Sig Romeo 4's instead, but would like an Aimpoint.
View Quote

Im the opposite.  If Eotech would make the circle part something I could turn off....I'd have more.  I tried the single dot variant but the refresh rate gave it a very weird streaking to my eye.

I've grown to appreciate single dots more.  I find it easier to place a precise shot.  Too much of my attention is drawn to the big circle.  Fine up close, not so much 25 and out.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 6:12:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

NX8 2-16x40 FC-DMX
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
NXS 2.5-10x42

FFP
Mil-XT

NX8 2-16x40 FC-DMX

You’re right, I can’t math.  

Say 1.5-12x

Link Posted: 9/5/2023 12:35:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Say 1.5-12x

View Quote

Either with a 40mm objective and 12" overall. But I think FC-DMX works better on the low end here than the Mil-XT. I don't think you gain all that much on the high end with the Mil-XT over the FC-DMX if you are putting it on a precision 5.56 gas gun.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 12:40:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Either with a 40mm objective and 12" overall. But I think FC-DMX works better on the low end here than the Mil-XT. I don't think you gain all that much on the high end with the Mil-XT over the FC-DMX if you are putting it on a precision 5.56 gas gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Say 1.5-12x

I own and use both.  I find myself a bit more accurate with wind holds on the Mil-XT than the DMx for whatever reason.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 2:40:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Say 1.5-12x

View Quote

Yes please
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 7:08:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I own and use both.  I find myself a bit more accurate with wind holds on the Mil-XT than the DMx for whatever reason.
View Quote

Mil-XT with DMx thick cross hairs to make it low mag usable?
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 9:22:41 PM EDT
[#35]
I am just hoping that, someday, someone makes a prism scope with a reticle for those of us with astigmatism who just wanted an alternative to RDS

There have been a lot of near misses, but still no cigar
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 9:03:45 AM EDT
[#36]
More poor mens complains :

PA Microprism
- cut off half the illumination settings and instead have off Settings in between.
- Cut Donut Thickness in half.

Sig Romeo 7
- Ship with a 1/3rd Spacer

Link Posted: 9/12/2023 11:20:03 AM EDT
[#37]
For the Sig Romeo 5, I'd tell them to include a 1/3 cowitness mount instead of the absolute cowitness mount.
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 11:47:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Any micro prism manufacturer, forge/cast/machine in micro dot mounts to scope bodies, or a sturdy dovetail to accept said mount.

I’m not opposed to the old school primaryarms style with a small pic rail screwed to the top that was removable, for different style micro mounts.
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 12:32:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I am just hoping that, someday, someone makes a prism scope with a reticle for those of us with astigmatism who just wanted an alternative to RDS

View Quote

I believe Swampfox just released a dot only prism.
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 12:59:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^ This.    Swampfox did, but it 6moa why?      If Aimpoint came out with a single dot etched or circle/dot etched I'd be all over it.  Add shake n wake as well.  

Link Posted: 9/12/2023 1:10:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

^ This.    Swampfox did, but it 6moa why?      If Aimpoint came out with a single dot etched or circle/dot etched I'd be all over it.  Add shake n wake as well.  

View Quote

6 is kinda big
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 1:23:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Auto wake up/shut off on Eotech.
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 1:49:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is included in the "no cigar" class.  Why did they put such a yuuuge dot in there?  6 moa?  That will cover up a LOT of target @ 200 meters.

A 2 moa dot would have been much better, add a horseshoe or circle to help with quick shots if you like.  But, 6 moa is just dumb
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 3:00:36 PM EDT
[#44]
For those complaining about a lone 6 MOA dot, take a look at the Vortex AR prism with 3 MOA dot and yuge rings. That dot gets lost easily without daylight "visible" illumination.
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 4:05:50 PM EDT
[#45]
I really like my Romeo 4's, with the except for the fact that they are SIG, but at least they are "assembled" in the USA and contain just one China part.
I'm meh on the shake awake.
I like that my 4S and 4T are solar.
I like my reticles....although I wish there was some way to get etched glass in them.

Link Posted: 9/12/2023 6:27:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
For those complaining about a lone 6 MOA dot, take a look at the Vortex AR prism with 3 MOA dot and yuge rings. That dot gets lost easily without daylight "visible" illumination.
View Quote

Ya, but how ya gonna headshoot a threat @ 150 yards when the reticle dot is bigger than the head

I said it another thread, put the Nova LPVO center dot on a post (to hide the wire) with some BDC stadia and a horsehoe to direct the eye.  It would work across all magnifications, granted the BDC would not be much of use on the 1x for my eyes.
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 7:25:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Ya, but how ya gonna headshoot a threat @ 150 yards when the reticle dot is bigger than the head
View Quote
8"x6".
See no head, miss no head.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/12/2023 9:08:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Free my ACOGs by ditching the dumbo tritium and going combo LED/FO.
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 8:11:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Shrink down a TA11 to the same size as a TA33 without changing the specs
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 3:50:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Honestly, I've been really digging the Swampfox Saber 5x I've been running on my AUG, and with a few changes it'd be a fantastic option.
1. Drop weight to about 20 ounces at most. Could probably swing it by going to a smaller battery and some choice cuts. Don't really use the illumination so I could go without it in general to make it easier to achieve the weight goal. It's optically great though, easily best in class for it's price range from everything I've handled.
2. Actually make the side mounts for dots integrated and not just a swappable plate and go with an RMR footprint for them.
3. Fixing the reticle to options similar to PA's 5x options with either a full BDC or a christmas tree. The horseshoe and crosshair are already great on the Saber, but the drop ladder is just disappointing comparatively.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top