User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 4:50:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Probably losing too many sales to Lancer.
View Quote

Possibly, but the best part about lancer mags doesn't have anything to do with the color - and once people get some and try them, they tend to figure that out.

I have plenty of Pmags and will no doubt buy more, but there really isn't one best magazine for every purpose.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 10:02:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 3:14:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The primary purpose of the PMag is to reliably feed ammunition into the firearm under all conditions.

Not too sure what other purpose would take priority over this.
View Quote

PMAGs are perfect for me, but they have had a reputation to spread out. I'll agree that a mag is a reusable/disposable piece at $10-20. I wonder how long I can leave a SHTF rifle mag loaded before the lips spread? I'm not being sarcastic, I'd really like to know for my own use, because my SHTF rifle has PMAGS loaded and ready to go in the RSC. I own some lancers because I want some colors for variety but I have magpul and aluminum mags stacked deep.

And congrats on making a color that isn't black or practically white sand. If I see them I'll definately pick some up.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 11:35:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I've always considered the sand colored PMAG a rare marketing mistake by otherwise brilliant Magpul (IMHO). Congrats on your success and thanks for coming to Texas.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 12:57:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've always considered the sand colored PMAG a rare marketing mistake by otherwise brilliant Magpul (IMHO). Congrats on your success and thanks for coming to Texas.
View Quote

I don't consider it a mistake.  They found a way to make the magazines tougher.  Just so happens to be an off-white color that does it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 9:47:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I don't consider it a mistake.  They found a way to make the magazines tougher.  Just so happens to be an off-white color that does it. the "OMG does it match my furniture" crowd happy
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 9:14:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

It was a great marketing move. They knew that people were using RIT dye to customize their FDE pmags, but they stopped making gen M3 Pmags in all the traditional Magpul colors (FDE, olive drab, foliage, stealth gray) because the polymers in those colors were not as strong as black. So they came out with the sand color, which is the natural un-dyed color of the polymer, so people could match them to whatever they wanted. It's a fine example of a company paying attention to the market, what their customers want, and what their customers are using their product for. The just announced medium coyote tan color is their first success at making another color formula that is just as strong as black.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 9:15:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't consider it a mistake.  They found a way to make the magazines tougher.  Just so happens to be an off-white color that does it. the "OMG does it match my furniture" crowd happy

Yeah, the sand magazines aren't any stronger, they're just not weaker and allow them to be dyed.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 3:22:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yeah, the sand magazines aren't any stronger, they're just not weaker and allow them to be dyed.
View Quote

On the contrary, here's what Duane from Magpul posted on M4C in reference to the M3 colors:

"Sand is the same base with some different compounding, and was an evolutionary step in getting to MCT. Sand is actually the strongest by a small margin. MCT and black are equivalent, with maybe a slight edge to MCT that is really in the noise."
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 5:14:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

On the contrary, here's what Duane from Magpul posted on M4C in reference to the M3 colors:

"Sand is the same base with some different compounding, and was an evolutionary step in getting to MCT. Sand is actually the strongest by a small margin. MCT and black are equivalent, with maybe a slight edge to MCT that is really in the noise."
View Quote

Well, I stand corrected. I thought I heard them say elsewhere they were the same. All the more incentive to use Sand and dye them to match my ACR! If I could just find a Coyote Brown RIT dye recipe using sand as the starting point...
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 9:33:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been looking for the FDE recipe too, and the best prospect I've found so far is the following from the YouTube video linked below the recipe:

Magpul FDE from RIT Dyes:
6 tsp Tan
2 tsp Pearl Gray
1 tsp Dark Brown
(1 tsp Cocoa Brown)*
Boiled in 1 qt of water at 175 deg, checking color every two minutes

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vXKOAp3g1cs

* Unfortunately, I found a followup video from the same guy who said that he tried it again, and it didn't turn out quite the same, but I'm going to give it a shot next weekend. I believe I updated the recipe with the addition of the Cocoa Brown that he mentioned in the second video, which is why I noted it in parentheses above.  Here's the second video - he's a bit... "colorful" in this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRk0ZE2GoBM
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 2:26:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I suggest that not many people want to or will go to the trouble to dye mags.  Very very small percentage. It's messy and not an exact art.  The new coyote tan color will make many happy.  I saw yesterday that MidwayUSA had some sand PMAGs on clearance.  Maybe because they didn't sell well?

I have a couple of MOE PMAGS in FDE and OD.  I bet I will never wear them out or destroy them due to color induced weakness.  Maybe Magpul should offer FDE and OD in the M3 design with the disclaimer that they may not last quite as long as black or new coyote colored mags. Or offer FDE and OD in the MOE PMAG design with the disclaimer.  I hope the coyote color is offered in 20rd M3 PMAGS eventually.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 3:32:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Stealth gray please!
View Quote

Yes Stealth grey would be great.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 1:48:37 AM EDT
[#14]
I have said this in many threads and I will say it again.  The Sand Mags was genius but then you guys totally dropped the ball in two ways.

1.  You should have partnered with RitDye and had dyes and solid recipes ready to go. A RitDye FDE, Coyote/Taupe, Foliage, OD, etc. True genius would be a heating kit with everything needed ready to rock.

2. You never converted the rest of the line.  I can't buy a ACS or a MIAD in Sand. Also EVERY NEW PRODUCT should come out in Sand 1st not Black.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 1:20:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Will we see furniture in this color? 
View Quote

Quoted:
How different then the FDE is the MCT?  They look very similar in the video.
View Quote

Quoted:
Can we get a couple photos of a Gen 2 FDE with this side by side? I can't be the only one wanting to know how close (or far apart) they are. 
View Quote

Magpul, where can I see a comparison picture between FDE and MCT?  Also, will you be offering CTR stocks and MOE grips in the new MCT color?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 7:20:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Gotta admit, that was pretty good. Liked the batman slap part.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 7:27:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

PMAGs are perfect for me, but they have had a reputation to spread out. I'll agree that a mag is a reusable/disposable piece at $10-20. I wonder how long I can leave a SHTF rifle mag loaded before the lips spread? I'm not being sarcastic, I'd really like to know for my own use, because my SHTF rifle has PMAGS loaded and ready to go in the RSC. I own some lancers because I want some colors for variety but I have magpul and aluminum mags stacked deep.

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt174/triadtactical/Pmag-2.gif

And congrats on making a color that isn't black or practically white sand. If I see them I'll definately pick some up.
View Quote

I'm a Magpul fanboy but these pics make me cringe and check my stash. I just can't see how Lancer loses in this department. I guess by being almost twice as much?
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 7:49:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 7:57:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 8:07:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 8:30:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Good video!!

What happened to getting rid of all these different colors though?
View Quote
Im waiting until they come out with flat dark salmon and them I'm swapping all my gear to that.

( seriously though swapping colors around every other year is fucking ridiculous stop that shit. )

RIF, NM been covered.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 8:39:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The "Small Arms Weapons Neutral" color was a range of colors that was proscribed by the Army--FDE was outside that range, so we had to have a new color that was as strong as the Black material when used in the M3 Magazine.

MCT was the winner.
View Quote

yep they said in the vid MCT is the prescribed color for all new DOD  small arm acquisitions
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 10:47:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I've been looking for the FDE recipe too, and the best prospect I've found so far is the following from the YouTube video linked below the recipe:

Magpul FDE from RIT Dyes:
6 tsp Tan
2 tsp Pearl Gray
1 tsp Dark Brown
Boiled in 1 qt of water at 175 deg, checking color every two minutes

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vXKOAp3g1cs
View Quote

My apologies for taking this off topic, but it's sort of relevant. I attempted the formula I mentioned above today, except that I doubled everything to fill the larger pot I was using.  I kept the M3 PMAG in the mix for a total of 8 minutes, taking it out and rinsing it every two minutes to check the color. I think I may have actually discovered the formula for MCT.  It didn't come out looking anything like Magpul FDE.  In his second video, he mentions adding 1 tsp of Cocoa Brown to the above formula.  None of the stores near me carry that color, so I thought I'd give the original formula a try.  I just wanted to post the feedback to let anyone who's interested know that the above formula does not work for FDE.  I'll order the Cocoa Brown at some point and will try the updated formula, but I'm not sure that will work either.  Plus, I'm almost out of Sand PMAGs...

Those MCT PMAGs can't come soon enough!
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:34:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

No need to worry.  This exact pic has been splashed around the internet for years and depicts early gen 1 mags from either 2007 or 2008.  Spine cracking with the GEN M3's is almost unheard of, and even back in the day with our gen 1's the defective rate was extremely small and measured in fractions of a percent.

Regardless, one of the great advantages of a polymer mag is that you can tell when it goes bad whereas with a metal mag it might be slightly dented or deformed (and not easily noticeable) and cause feeding issues.  Even with the mags in the pic once inserted into the magwell they should still feed fine until they can be rotated out of service.

Feedlip spreading is also a non-issue and the PMAG can be left loaded indefinitely, with our without the Impact/Dust Cover.  
View Quote

Good to know. I just got a bunch more in the PSA deals.

I don't need them but I just can't stop buying lol
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:35:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

We are working on it. It has been very busy post SHOT. MCT is planned to be offered in other products but no details as of yet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Magpul, where can I see a comparison picture between FDE and MCT?  Also, will you be offering CTR stocks and MOE grips in the new MCT color?
Thanks.

We are working on it. It has been very busy post SHOT. MCT is planned to be offered in other products but no details as of yet.

Did you guys take a picture yet?
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:22:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Ive been a standard USGI guy mostly. But Ive slowly got into magpul mags and  Lancers. This is what I personally have had. I have had stoppages ( Jams )  with USGI mags due to lips being bent . Yes these did have some age on them. I have never had a stoppage with a pmag . I don't have a lot of rounds though them. Say 1000 total.  Lancers maybe 200 rounds through them with no stoppages. I did drop the bolt on a fresh mag and the round jammed trying to get into the chamber. I chalked it up to maybe the round was jacked in the start.  But Lancers have been good to go. But this happened to me with some lancers 20's . I dropped a loaded  mag at the range and it puked 7 rounds out . I reloaded it and dropped it again and it did better and puked only 5 out . Now the mag did run fine . I dropped a usgi and a pmag .  I think the pmag puked 1 round  out  and the USGI didn't lose no round . The usgi and pmag was 30 round mags . What does this mean ???? Most likely nothing . They all functioned fine in the rifle . My own world of thinking is I can drop a Pmag and most likely had no feedlip damage. USGI I know I can't say that. Lancers are tougher than usgi lips but still can be bent. That's just me.... I guess mags are really disposable in the end anyhow. Nothing last forever but the Earth and Sky .
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 4:12:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Can we all just get along?  Lol
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:09:36 AM EDT
[#28]
I have killed several gi mags from very routine little events like dropping one half loaded, stepped on one, dented one going prone in an expedited manner.

I've used Pmags, although not exclusively, since the RevM was introduced and they have been exponentially more durable and as reliable as a mag can be.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 9:17:02 AM EDT
[#29]
So are these available anywhere yet? I can't find them.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 11:34:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Don't think so.  The $$$ are burning a hole in my pocket right now, waiting.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 1:35:10 PM EDT
[#31]
I got many Lancers AWMs and USGI and PMAGs of all generations but Im not buying any new mags until Magpul finally releases MCT already! I keep walking around stores hoping to see them already lol
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 5:29:18 PM EDT
[#32]
I just wish I could find sand ones so I could dye them again !!
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 5:48:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I just wish I could find sand ones so I could dye them again !!
View Quote
There's a few in the EE...
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 11:06:13 PM EDT
[#34]
still waiting for these to be available...... come on magpul!
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 8:59:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Magpul is going to fill military orders for the MCT PMAGs before releasing them to the civilian market, so I'm sure you'll see reports of them showing up at Marine Corps units before they become available to the public.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 7:06:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Magpul is going to fill military orders for the MCT PMAGs before releasing them to the civilian market, so I'm sure you'll see reports of them showing up at Marine Corps units before they become available to the public.
View Quote
LOL, they may deliver them to the Marine Corps, but they'll probably sit in a warehouse for 5 years before any unit actually gets their hands on them. I'm still getting issued green follower magazines.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 2:21:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Magpul was saying that the MCT M3 Pmags were going to ship out to distributors in february. So obviously they think, or at least did think, that they'd be able to handle military sales and civilian sales at the same time. Here we are in april and still no MCT pmags for sale anywhere, so maybe military sales turned out to take up more of their manufacturing than they thought.

Either way, I'm looking to buy a few M3 Pmags and have been holding off because I thought that MCT was about to be available. Hopefully they'll give us a real time estimate so I can decide whether to hold out for MCT or to just buy more black ones.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 6:52:43 AM EDT
[#38]
I'd settle for some new Pmags in FDE.   I'm sure MCT is the new rage, but I kinda favor the FDE
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:24:31 PM EDT
[#39]
There was a news story recently about Magpul laying off 85 people at their manufacturing facility in Wyoming. Some of that, I suspect, is due to automation, but most is probably the general weakening in the AR15 and AR15 accessories market. That fact, and providing the USMC with mags is their top priority, means that us anxious people need to hurry up and wait.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:36:07 PM EDT
[#40]
They are now shipping as of today.  new MCT mags
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:05:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
They are now shipping as of today.  new MCT mags
View Quote
So, being the impatient guy I am, as soon as I saw this I got online with Magpul, and tried to order some of these new MCT mags. Their system said my city came up as banned. So I called them, and after talking to a very nice lady there (I missed her name), and proving to her that I live in Lake County, IL and not Cook (Chicago), she said she would try and get it processed. I am glad they were understanding and listened. I am also so glad I made the choice to live in Lake County 15+ years ago. I am only 1 mile north of Lake-Cook road, but thankfully, I am on the right side of that border.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 11:25:08 PM EDT
[#42]
This was waiting for me when I got home tonight:

Just in time to go to the range on Sunday. I'd like to give a tip of the lynch lid to the very nice ladies at Magpul who took the time to verify that I live in Lake County Illinois, even though my zip code showed up as Cook County.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 12:30:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
This was waiting for me when I got home tonight:

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l297/mrprolix/20170428_210623_zpsnqifokrs.jpg

Just in time to go to the range on Sunday. I'd like to give a tip of the lynch lid to the very nice ladies at Magpul who took the time to verify that I live in Lake County Illinois, even though my zip code showed up as Cook County.
View Quote
Looks like your lucky number 1

Whats next Magpul?
Guessing the 300blk?
Any plans for 20rd 300 blk mags?
30 rds of 220gr subs = I use 20 rd mags for Blackout.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 11:51:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Any comment by magpul on other offerings in MCT down the road?
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 8:53:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Please make these M3 MCT mags in the 20 round size... and the 300 BLK mags in the 20 round size too!
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 11:12:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Aeroe Field Drab & MCT - indirect sunlight, no filter.

Link Posted: 5/2/2017 5:01:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Here's another look:

Video
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 7:03:48 PM EDT
[#48]
FDE, MCT, Cavalry Manufacturing Dark Earth, and KAC Taupe.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 7:38:31 PM EDT
[#49]
I saw that AIM Surplus has them for sale in a recent AIM weekly email.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:28:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I saw that AIM Surplus has them for sale in a recent AIM weekly email.
View Quote
My wife got me a couple for my birthday straight from Magpul, along with a couple shirts. My DSG order is en route with more as well.

Personally, Magpul knocked it out of the park with these, so much better than FDE.
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top