Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 3/17/2020 2:26:49 PM EDT
I hadn't seen this posted here yet, but SAAMI added a 6mm Grendel derivative called the 6mm Advanced Rifle Cartridge or 6mm ARC to their newly accepted cartridges list.

6mm ARC SAAMI introduction

The case looks like the shoulder has been moved back, and the neck is a little shorter as compared to a Grendel case. The published instrumental velocity shows 2,700 fps for a 108gr bullet.

A poster on The Hide put up a picture of Hornady headstamped 6mm ARC brass, so it seems likely they are behind the introduction (which IMO is a good thing as they know how to run a cartridge rollout).

Anyway, it's interesting to see a cartridge similar to the 6mmAR become SAAMI standardized, I think I'll definitely be picking up a 20"-22" barrel for a long range build when they become available.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 2:31:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Interesting- thanks!

The 6mm Creedmoor has been out a while.

How does this new 6mm improve on the performance of the 6mm Creedmoor or the 243 ?
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 2:36:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Interesting- thanks!

The 6mm Creedmoor has been out a while.

How does this new 6mm improve on the performance of the 6mm Creedmoor or the 243 ?
View Quote
No, it's a 2.26" cartridge based on the 6.5 Grendel and designed for the AR-15 platform. It's not going to perform like the bigger 6mms, but the ballistics look quite promising coming out of the smaller, sleeker, cheaper, lighter AR-15.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 2:48:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Always wondered why they didn’t just do a 6mm Grendel.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 5:09:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I hope it comes with a 24+ round magazine that works.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 6:03:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Always wondered why they didn’t just do a 6mm Grendel.
View Quote
Agreed. I have one on order, specifically to pull the barrel and turn it into a 6mmAR or 224Grendel. Maybe a 6mm ARC if they get released in the next 2months
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 6:03:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I hope it comes with a 24+ round magazine that works.
View Quote

ASC makes several magazines that work!

5, 15, and 25 rounds
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 7:54:49 PM EDT
[#7]

And the Turbo 40 vs 6mm AR

The Turbo 40 can drive 105 gr projectiles at 2900 fps
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 9:15:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AdmiredFailingAnemonecrab-size_restricted.gif

ASC makes several magazines that sometimes work!

5, 15, and 25 rounds
View Quote
I know.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 10:14:14 PM EDT
[#9]

With factory ammo, this will be the target cartridge to beat that fits in the standard AR15 receiver set.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 10:23:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I’m curious to see how this one does.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 10:28:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Call me in 3-5 years, if it's a hit I'll buy.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 10:38:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I won't give up my 6.5 Creedmoor as my long range go to, but I sure would appreciate a slightly more economical alternative (not that the Creedmoor is a bank breaker) with reasonable windage performance at distance.  I shoot more reloads than factory ammo, but it is nice to have the option of buying off the shelf.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 11:03:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm way out of the loop on Grendel stuff. How are the bolts holding up long term? I know there were some issues a long time ago but I assume there has to be a few solid options now.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 11:21:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm way out of the loop on Grendel stuff. How are the bolts holding up long term? I know there were some issues a long time ago but I assume there has to be a few solid options now.
View Quote
I've been shooting 6.5 Grendel since 2009, and I shoot a lot.

I have yet to see a broken bolt personally in anything but 5.56 over 10,000rds.

I know people have done it though.

I would limit my sources for bolts to a few companies who have that dialed-in with their vendors.

If I was hot-rodding the 6mm AR or any 6mm Grendel variant, I would prefer to use a bolt made of a unique aerospace grade alloy, with a different type of barrel extension set-up than a normal AR15.

Running it at lower pressures, I wouldn't worry much about it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 11:34:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I am a super 6.5 G fan. Sell tons of ammo and barrels at my shop. I had a customer come in last week with two lugs broken off of his Grendel bolt. Said he had a couple thousand rounds on the gun, all suppressed. I Don’t remember h name brand of the gun, but it was a factory Grendel. I installed an adjustable gas block and a new Faxon bolt, and got him all tuned up and back in action.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 11:44:10 PM EDT
[#16]
I broke a couple Grendel AA factory bolts and had a buddy that broke a JP supplied bolt.

I was an early adopter. Recently, I haven’t had or heard of any trouble.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 11:59:05 PM EDT
[#17]
The barrel vendor who is "not to be mentioned on this site" has offered a 6 mm Grendel Wildcat for a while. I wonder how this 6 mm ARC compares with that round.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 1:56:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The barrel vendor who is "not to be mentioned on this site" has offered a 6 mm Grendel Wildcat for a while. I wonder how this 6 mm ARC compares with that round.
View Quote
I believe that the 6mm Predator is the same as the 6mmAR. The shoulder on the 6mm ARC is moved back a bit from the 6mmAR (I'm guessing so 108gr ELDs will fit perfectly at mag length), so the ARC will have a bit less capacity and be a little slower. Personally, I'm ok with giving up a few fps to get a well supported easy-button 6mm AR cartridge optimized for the heavies... I'm hoping with Hornady support, that's and this cartridge will turn into.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 2:33:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I believe that the 6mm Predator is the same as the 6mmAR. The shoulder on the 6mm ARC is moved back a bit from the 6mmAR (I'm guessing so 108gr ELDs will fit perfectly at mag length), so the ARC will have a bit less capacity and be a little slower.
View Quote
I’m betting the minor change in dimension is so that it doesn’t fall into a trademark/patent issue. Would have been cool if they went the other direction, with a more blown out case, but the wildcats have already established those dimensions.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 2:42:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I’m betting the minor change in dimension is so that it doesn’t fall into a trademark/patent issue. Would have been cool if they went the other direction, with a more blown out case, but the wildcats have already established those dimensions.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe that the 6mm Predator is the same as the 6mmAR. The shoulder on the 6mm ARC is moved back a bit from the 6mmAR (I'm guessing so 108gr ELDs will fit perfectly at mag length), so the ARC will have a bit less capacity and be a little slower.
That same vendor also lists a 6mm wildcat that uses the 6.8 SPC case, and a .30 cal that uses the 6.8 SPC case.

He is also listing the 6mm ARC barrel, no pricing as of yet though. Says the 6mm ARC is .023" more shallow than his 6mm Predator.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 11:13:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:I’m betting the minor change in dimension is so that it doesn’t fall into a trademark/patent issue.
View Quote
The minor change in dimensions resulting from shortening the brass to 1.490 vs Grendel at 1.520 is so that a guy can't accidentally load 6.5 Grendel into a 6mmARC chamber.

If you accidentally shoot a 6mm bullet through a 6.5mm bore it might be interesting, but no real problem.

But try shooting a 6.5mm bullet through a 6mm bore....
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 12:55:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The minor change in dimensions resulting from shortening the brass to 1.490 vs Grendel at 1.520 is so that a guy can't accidentally load 6.5 Grendel into a 6mmARC chamber.

If you accidentally shoot a 6mm bullet through a 6.5mm bore it might be interesting, but no real problem.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:I’m betting the minor change in dimension is so that it doesn’t fall into a trademark/patent issue.

Interesting theory, but there’s the 6.5 creedmoor and 6 creedmoor....260 and 243

I think there’s more to it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 1:00:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Interesting theory, but there’s the 6.5 creedmoor and 6 creedmoor....260 and 243

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The case dimensional differences between .260 Rem and 6.5CM, as well as .243 Win and 6mm CM are considerable.

The main reason for the differences is more optimal performance and placement of longer VLD-type bullet shapes in relation to the neck-shoulder junction, as well as optimal propellant burn characteristics with the 30° shoulders, nothing to do with trademarks or patents.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 1:05:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The case dimensional differences between .260 Rem and 6.5CM, as well as .243 Win and 6mm CM are considerable.

The main reason for the differences is more optimal performance and placement of longer VLD-type bullet shapes in relation to the neck-shoulder junction, as well as optimal propellant burn characteristics with the 30° shoulders, nothing to do with trademarks or patents.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ummm...how much different is the case of a 6.5creed to a 6 creed? A 260 to a 243??  I think you missed the point being made about dummy proofing a round for chambers.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 2:05:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:Interesting theory, but there’s the 6.5 creedmoor and 6 creedmoor....260 and 243. I think there’s more to it.
View Quote
Great point. Worth considering. One would have to do a detailed comparison of 65CM and 6CM SAAMI drawings.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 5:31:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
I seriously doubt it, who has a patent on a 6.5 Grendel necked to 6mm? There are already several variations out there, plenty of prior art, how/why would anyone patent something like that?

99% sure shoulder was pushed back and neck shortened to properly fit long sleek 6mm bullets (probably specifically the 108gr ELD) at mag length. Same as H did with the Creedmoors and ~2.8 mags. Blowing the shoulder forward would have been counter to the obvious goals of this cartridge design.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 5:41:21 PM EDT
[#27]
2700 fps from what length barrel?

Virtually identical to Robert Whitley's 6mmAR cartridge.

Lapua 90's or Sierra 95 grain match king's may help boost velocity in shorter barrels.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 5:43:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
http://6mmar.com/images/6mmarturbox300__1_s2ts.jpg

And the Turbo 40 vs 6mm AR

http://6mmar.com/images/turbo_40_vs_6mmar__1.jpg

The Turbo 40 can drive 105 gr projectiles at 2900 fps
View Quote
from 26" barrels.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 5:58:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
2700 fps from what length barrel?

Virtually identical to Robert Whitley's 6mmAR cartridge.

Lapua 90's or Sierra 95 grain match king's may help boost velocity in shorter barrels.
View Quote
Is the 6mmAR a saami cartridge?
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 6:08:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Ummm...how much different is the case of a 6.5creed to a 6 creed? A 260 to a 243??  I think you missed the point being made about dummy proofing a round for chambers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was only responding to the claims of patents and trademarks between all 4 of those cartridges, not whether one can be chambered in another.

You can chamber a .308 in a .270 Winchester though, and fire it!

Recoil will be impressive if the rifle holds together.

The case will come out with no neck, just a hole at the end of the shoulder.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 6:08:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Is the 6mmAR a saami cartridge?
View Quote
Nope, and that's the point of all this. There wasn't a standardized 6mm Grendel adaptation for the AR-15 out there, plenty of 6mm cats based on the Grendel, but nothing SAAMI. Now there is, I hope it gets popular, being optimized for the heaviest 6mm pills, it should be a good LR option in the AR-15 platform, for those of us that want something like that.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 6:17:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

from 26" barrels.
View Quote
And close to 2700 fps, moving a 108gr berger out of  an 18" barrel
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 7:03:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I was only responding to the claims of patents and trademarks between all 4 of those cartridges, not whether one can be chambered in another.

View Quote
That wasn’t really what was being discussed among the 4 cartridges, but no worries.

Whether the approximate 20-30 thou difference optimizes seating a 108 vs going straight grendel or getting an extra 100-150fps by blowing out the case isn’t really a huge deal. The big news is there will be another cartridge available that will yield great LR performance from an AR-15 frame. It should be flatter than a 6.5 grendel with more energy than a 224Valkyrie.

To those that think it’s crazy to patent a design, I think the AR Turbo 40 reamers and dies still have patents on them. Wasn’t the same true with the 6.5grendel upon inception, which is why some have the .264 LBC ? Designed to be compatible with 6.5grendel, but just slightly different.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 8:25:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That wasn’t really what was being discussed among the 4 cartridges, but no worries.

Whether the approximate 20-30 thou difference optimizes seating a 108 vs going straight grendel or getting an extra 100-150fps by blowing out the case isn’t really a huge deal. The big news is there will be another cartridge available that will yield great LR performance from an AR-15 frame. It should be flatter than a 6.5 grendel with more energy than a 224Valkyrie.

To those that think it’s crazy to patent a design, I think the AR Turbo 40 reamers and dies still have patents on them. Wasn’t the same true with the 6.5grendel upon inception, which is why some have the .264 LBC ? Designed to be compatible with 6.5grendel, but just slightly different.
View Quote
I agree that it's a good thing all around that there is now a standard 6mm Grendel-ish cartridge for the AR.

I don't think it's crazy for someone to patent a derivative cartridge design, it's just not very smart. Folks who haven't dealt with IP, often think it's something it's not. A patent is only worth what you're willing to spend in court defending it. Who is going to spend millions of dollars in court defending a simple necked down Grendel, any why would they bother? All anyone has to do to get around it is change a few minute parameters a la the .264 lbc vs 6.5 Grendel. It was a dumb move to try to keep the 6.5 Grendel proprietary, and eventually BA opted to drop that of effort and had it standardized. There is a lot of prior art out there for straight necking down the 6.5 Grendel, I doubt anyone has a patent on it, and I that's why I don't think the shoulder on the ARC is pushed back 30 thou just to get around a patent, because it just wouldn't make much sense for that to be the case.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 9:11:54 PM EDT
[#35]
When I first wanted an AR variant I picked my ideal bullet weight and 6mm seemed to be perfect. At the time there was no "mainstream" 6mm AR cartridge and 6.5 Grendel seemed to be the best choice. I think the case would benefit from a lighter bullet while keeping high BC, so I hope this catches on.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 1:22:36 PM EDT
[#36]
I absolutely love the 6.5 Grendel. I was an early adopter and chose it for my first AR as for me personally it was a great all-around job for me. It was a great long range target and could easily be used for hunting.
I'll most likely eventually pick up one of these as well. I love 6mm cartridges just as much as 6.5mm. Have always had a huge soft spot for the 6x45 with the seirra 95gr matchkings. This cartridge with those should be a heck of a lot faster! Even better now that there is a tipped matchking for the 6mm 95gr.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 11:58:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Once things calm down, I'll have one of these.

20" or longer would be great for yotes and target work.

I've been saying for years that if someone brings the 6mm Grendel to SAAMI with big name weight and brass/ammo, it will be the ideal TGT cartridge for the AR15.

Ballistics are nice, recoil is practically non-existent.

2.3 mils wind drift at 1000yds with the 105gr Berger Match Hybrid (.275 G7 BC) in 10mph full value wind at sea level, although not much energy.

Will make a great NRA cross-course cartridge that can be mag-fed, and will hit steel hard enough out to 600yds.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 12:47:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I've been saying for years that if someone brings the 6mm Grendel to SAAMI with big name weight and brass/ammo, it will be the ideal TGT cartridge for the AR15.

2.3 mils wind drift at 1000yds with the 105gr Berger Match Hybrid (.275 G7 BC) in 10mph full value wind at sea level, although not much energy.

Will make a great NRA cross-course cartridge that can be mag-fed, and will hit steel hard enough out to 600yds.
View Quote
This is making me want to spend money! I have had a long love affair with the .243Win. I might just retire my 24" Bushmster with 69 gr bullets as my go to calling rifle for one of these!
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 9:34:58 PM EDT
[#39]
I've built two 6MM grendel/243LBC AR's now and they are quite a bit more accurate than my 6.5 Grendels that I also have. I have a 20" Bull barrel and a 24" bull barrel rigs.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 8:07:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I've built two 6MM grendel/243LBC AR's now and they are quite a bit more accurate than my 6.5 Grendels that I also have. I have a 20" Bull barrel and a 24" bull barrel rigs.
View Quote

What brand of barrel did you use?
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 8:14:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Well that's neat.

Last summer I was close to rebarreling my Howa mini to 6.0 Grendel but kept getting distracted with other stuff and wasn't excited about getting into the wildcat game anyways.  Going to give this a real look when stuff really comes out for it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 9:11:48 PM EDT
[#42]
I have the 6x45 and love it best I can do is an 87 grain Berger thing is dead on sick but I have not tried anything heavier just wont feed anyway but the cartridge is awesome and I would not mind trying a 6mm Grendel but when this stuff going on flys over
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 10:32:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Wonder what an 80 tsx or a 55bt will do out of it? Could be a sweet coyote/deer round for hunting.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 9:49:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same.

I just can't bring myself to fiddle around making brass. Off the shelf brass is my sink or swim.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 12:49:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Someone posted this up on the Hide:

http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/hornady/20193-hornady-tc25166-6mm-arc-fl-rougher-company-only.html

http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/6-mm-69-mm-chamber-reamers-nopix-/20230-6mm-arc-advanced-rifle-cartridge.html

Maybe we're getting close to the roll out.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 8:46:10 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm cautiously in...

Interested to see how fast you are going to be able to launch the Hornady 103gr ELD-X out of 16" and 18" barrels with it.

Link Posted: 4/16/2020 9:28:00 AM EDT
[#47]
School me on the advantages of shooting these 100gr long flechette dart-type 6mm bullets out of carbine barrels inside 200/300 yds.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 11:10:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
School me on the advantages of shooting these 100gr long flechette dart-type 6mm bullets out of carbine barrels inside 200/300 yds.
View Quote

The idea is more about bucking wind at longer distances from longer barrels.

But, they are shooting really sleek bullets.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 7:12:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted: School me on the advantages of shooting these 100gr long flechette dart-type 6mm bullets out of carbine barrels inside 200/300 yds.
View Quote

When a bullet that is long-for-caliber (LFC) tumbles it creates a nastier slash than a shorter bullet. Important for shorter barrels in 6mmARC.

When a bullet that is LFC mushrooms, its mass and momentum drive it deeper. Important for shorter barrels in 6mmARC.

When a bullet that is LFC fragments, its greater mass creates more fragments and the larger chunks are driven deeper. Important for shorter barrels in 6mmARC.

You seen the VIDEO of a 6.5 Grendel Hornady 123gr ELD blasting a huge wound channel like a beast?

Link Posted: 4/17/2020 12:50:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

I shot a handful of 5.56 out of a 6x45......accuracy was horrible..........the necks were split and that was about it...........
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top