User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 12:13:10 PM EDT
[#1]
purchased a MSR10 Hunter in 308 not too long ago. haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. busy summer.

i did bring it to local gun shop/range to have it bore sighted before i take it out. picked up a leupold vr-x 3-9x patrol. they weren't able to zero it. said that it bottomed out. i emailed the place i bought the mount from, leupold IMS mark ? [don't have it in front of me].. they said I need a 20 MOA insert?

thoughts?

fit and finish, seems like the assy was rushed a bit. everything is tight, lined up, and appears to be functioning. truth, not sure how long I'll hold onto it. being a lefty there are things that I was hoping to be able to change/upgrade.. and I'm having trouble getting the parts to work. I have the capability to modify parts.. but not sure how much effort I want to put into it. maybe I'll just opt for a different rifle altogether.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 5:47:28 PM EDT
[#2]
It's amazing how little info there is out there on this rifle.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 10:14:15 AM EDT
[#3]
it's annoying.

i emailed Savage about parts compatibility and the possibility of upgrades [if they knew of anyone, or have been working with anyone] and I got zero back.

seriously considering dumping it for a different option.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 5:24:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Does anyone know which buffer spring is used?
It is definitely not a AR15 spring, since longer and a little wider.
I assume CAR AR10 Spring.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 3:05:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Hello new to the thread regarding the savage don't give p on it got mine 2 months ago and put 100 rounds through it  good gun  better than me I recently upgraded with Rutgers 452 trigger and magpie misdemeanor grip will post result sets next range time
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 4:20:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Read in The American Rifleman that Savage is up for sale.

Maybe someone here could buy it and straighten them out,
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 2:48:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
(snip)....

Vista Outdoor Group bought Savage, Federal, and Blackhawk, so that's why we have Blackhawk products in these rifles (/snip).....
View Quote
I had never heard of the Vista Outdoor Group before,
and I wasn't aware they had bought those companies including Federal.

I was under the impression that ATK would always be the parent company of Federal.

@LRRPF52
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 2:57:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I am looking to step up to a .308 Winchester rifle.

So naturally something AR10-ish came to mind.

I just recently bought a .300 Blackout pistol.

I have an AR15 in 7.62X39, and I reload.  So I would rather just stick with .308-ish sized projectiles versus stocking yet another bullet if I went with 6.5 Creedmoor.

There was one MSR10 at my "local" Cabelas yesterday....in .308 Winchester.  They also had two DPMS GII's.

My local Academy Sports has an MSR10 but it is 6.5 CM.

Like some other poster mentioned above, there is very little info on these guns out there.

Weird.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 3:16:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Vista Outdoors

Our highly recognized brands include Federal Premium®, CamelBak®, Savage Arms™, Bushnell®, Primos®, BLACKHAWK!®, Bollé®, Bell, Giro and many others.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 3:18:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I am looking to step up to a .308 Winchester rifle.

So naturally something AR10-ish came to mind.

I just recently bought a .300 Blackout pistol.

I have an AR15 in 7.62X39, and I reload.  So I would rather just stick with .308-ish sized projectiles versus stocking yet another bullet if I went with 6.5 Creedmoor.

There was one MSR10 at my "local" Cabelas yesterday....in .308 Winchester.  They also had two DPMS GII's.

My local Academy Sports has an MSR10 but it is 6.5 CM.

Like some other poster mentioned above, there is very little info on these guns out there.

Weird.  
View Quote
7.62x39 is .310-311"
7.62x51 NATO is .308"

What is the groove-to-groove diameter of your x39 barrel?
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 8:30:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

7.62x39 is .310-311"
7.62x51 NATO is .308"

What is the groove-to-groove diameter of your x39 barrel?
View Quote
I don't really know.

Sorry... I know it sounds pathetic.

But that gun likes brass cased Americal Eagle ammo.  It has shot steel cased foreign made ammo, but some of the steel cased stuff likes to get hung up on the extractor's claw.  I switched to an LMT bolt.  It continues to run 100% with AE brass.  And it runs better with the steel cased stuff, but not quite 100%.

I can cast boolits for it and have the Lee sizer die to squish the boolits for it down to .309ish.

I have 500 of the Speer TNT copper jacketed bullets in .308, so I figured I would try  that first in the 7.62X39.  If accuracy is crap, I think Speer also makes a TNT bullet in .310 or .311.

And I could always use the .308 TNT's in the .300 Blackout.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 6:25:40 PM EDT
[#12]
just received my msr 10 today and bore sighted and went to range.  using nikon m-308 scope calibrated for my 168 federal bthp match after sight in at 50 the first group all touched at 100 except one 3/4 inch high and right.  factory trigger out of box broke clean at 3.5 lbs. an i am impressed with this group.  have not shot on bench in 4 years so i was very satisfied with this rifle's accuracy and no where near broke in barrel yet.  next 5 shot group was about 1 1/4 inch moa an a little strung out but i realize this rifle can shoot much better than i can so completely satisfied with this msr so far.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 12:45:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Bump because I'm seriously considering one of these, not that this thread helped much in that regard, ha.

I have a vision of a Magpul rifle stock and a bronze/Brown ceracoat of some sort to make a nice hunting rig out of it.

I'd like to hear from more owners, otherwise I might just build a 6.8 SPC if these are of questionable quality
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 12:12:35 AM EDT
[#14]
I bought one in 308 from buds about 5 months ago.My initial experience was that it was hard hitting and would stovepipe on occasion .Turned the gas block as far off as I cool and no change.Removed the hand guard and examined the gas block,found adj screw was jammed with grit and was still at full open.cleaned it up and found a good u tube video on gas block adj for this firearm Followed the instructions at the range and got it to cycle well and shoot well.I was shooting Sellier and bellot 160 grain core bond.Recent modifications include Ruger elite trigger,ar stoner muzzle brake,magpul miad grip.The grip is a type 2 so I had to file down the dovetail on the backstrap but I believe a type 1 should work fine.Removed the Blackhawk stock and installed the Magpul SL stock from my Ruger mpr.Fits perfect so I believe any mil spec stock for ar 15 will work.With the changes I have made and getting the gas block dialed in this has become my favorite rifle,It shoots better than I do.So to any pontential buyers or exsisting owners the bcg handgaand even the gas block are proprietary ,but grips ,stocks and triggers you have options.Just don't forget to check that gas block.This is a fine firearm I am proud to own.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 4:18:07 AM EDT
[#15]
I've been giving this rifle a lot of thought. There are a ton of things I like that address common 308 problems.

It uses a 10.5" gas system, in addition to the lighter carrier. This is genius. No over gassing, and no heavyweight reciprocating mass that needs excessive gas, all the while causing fatigue on the bolt catch. Plus the multiple setting gas block. None of this 3 position bare minimum stuff either. Dwell time was obviously a major focus.

The barrel is truly free floated. The barrel nut doesn't even interface with the handguard. At all.

The dual ejectors had me worried about bolt strength. Then I found out they use a very slightly softer steel. Seems bad at first, but I've never once heard of a bolt wearing out and losing headspace from use. Broken bolts on the other hand are a different story.

The carrier design is genius too. Full cuts top and bottom, captivated firing pin retaining pin, and a one piece gas key. Plus a spring loaded, but thinner diameter firing pin.

I really do think whoever designed this had their head in straight, as well as considerable experience with 308 direct gas rifles. I think this will be the G2 rifle to beat when it comes to design. Too much on this rifle just makes a lot of sense. I'm guessing the shitty Blackhawk stuff was a suit decision, because someone put more thought into this than they could ever get credit for.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 3:00:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The dual ejectors had me worried about bolt strength. Then I found out they use a very slightly softer steel. Seems bad at first, but I've never once heard of a bolt wearing out and losing headspace from use. Broken bolts on the other hand are a different story.
View Quote
Where did you hear the stuff about the softer bolt steel?  I find this interesting because mine had some ugly wear on the corners from the barrel extension within 250 rounds.  So much that I replaced it with a toolcraft.

As far as the design, I believe I heard the lead designer was the same guy that did the Colt 901.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 2:31:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Where did you hear the stuff about the softer bolt steel?  I find this interesting because mine had some ugly wear on the corners from the barrel extension within 250 rounds.  So much that I replaced it with a toolcraft.

As far as the design, I believe I heard the lead designer was the same guy that did the Colt 901.
View Quote
Scroll down to the 308 segment. I first saw it in a video with the guy who seems to be the designer. Couldn't find it again, but there's a few places noting it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/01/jeremy-s/savage-arms-msr-details-emerge/amp/

I saw yours when I was researching too. To me it looks like yours has some timing issues unrelated to the material. Like potentially the bolt is locked head space wise, but not rotated all the way maybe? Did you ever get an answer out of Savage?

Which is another point I forgot. The G2 bolts are beefier despite being shorter. I looked into the POF too, but man that bolt looks thin.

I'm not surprised if the 901 designer was responsible. There's a lot of "battle rifle" features on this coming out of a company like Savage.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 1:11:35 PM EDT
[#18]
By the way, the Toolcraft bolt is 9310 too. It's still a very hard material that shouldn't have the issues you have. Keep this thread updated if you can. If the new one doesn't have the same problem, that's good to know info.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 1:24:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I really like mine. I have the long range in 6.5.
Have had it a year and in that time I've decided I'm gonna need to run small rifle primers with this thing.

Its got a habit of blowing primers seemingly regardless of load. Not all the time, but pretty regularly.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 2:07:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Have had it a year and in that time I've decided I'm gonna need to run small rifle primers with this thing.

Its got a habit of blowing primers seemingly regardless of load. Not all the time, but pretty regularly.
View Quote
Is it blowing the primer out or blanking a piece where the pin hit it?
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 3:40:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Did you ever get an answer out of Savage?
View Quote
I couldn't actually talk to anyone other than a CSR at Savage.  They wanted me to send the whole thing in.  I was never very impressed with the finishing on the OEM bolt, so I just went ahead and replaced it with the Toolcraft.  I also did my best to polish the champfers on the locking side of the barrel extension.  Not easy with the barrel mounted.

I only have about 20 rounds on the new bolt, but none of the damage that the OEM bolt had.  Also, interestingly enough I see less primer flattening with the new bolt.  Curious to see if that continues once it is broken in.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 3:52:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's blowing the primers out of the brass. Like I said, it's not every one.. maybe 1 in 8 or 10.
Ive been trying to get to the bottom of it but think  small rifle primers may be the answer
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 4:10:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It's blowing the primers out of the brass. Like I said, it's not every one.. maybe 1 in 8 or 10.
Ive been trying to get to the bottom of it but think  small rifle primers may be the answer
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would look at putting an extra heavy buffer in it, first.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 5:33:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I would look at putting an extra heavy buffer in it, first.
View Quote
Good idea.. gonna try that
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top