BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/18/2021 9:39:12 AM EDT
Just bought 3 new Okay E2 AR mags from Primary Arms.  They usually come with a blue anti-tilt follower.
These came with a grey follower... appear to the same follower as on my PSA AR-15 mags (I believe they are made by D&H).
It's not just a color issue, the grey follower is a completely different design from the blue (reverse pattern, etc.).

Anybody else have these?

Link Posted: 5/18/2021 9:49:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes. Bunches.

Correction...I have the standard Okay Surefeed milspec mags with grey followers. Not the E2s.
Eta wasted 6k on this dammit
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 10:18:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I am a distributor/retailer of their's, and we just received several hundred of these in cases.. all had the blue follower. I am not sure what you received... sealed in the bag?
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 11:13:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, the E2 mags have the blue follower. Are you sure you ordered E2s?
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 4:37:53 PM EDT
[#4]
E2 = new blue follower.

Something is fuckey.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 6:14:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 10:25:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes... these are OKAY E2 Surefeed Magazines.
Yes... they are sealed in the bag.
The CAGE is 33710.
The manufacture date is 9-20.
The aluminum is black Teflon.
The followers are certainly not blue as I was expecting.  I have many other Okays with the blue ant-tilt follower.

Perhaps a supply issue?

Link Posted: 5/18/2021 10:27:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The CAGE is 33710.
The followers are certainly not blue as I was expecting.  I have many other Okays with the blue ant-tilt follower.

Perhaps a supply issue?

View Quote

I'd contact Okay and forward pics.

I'd be interested in what they respond with.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 5:17:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'd contact Okay and forward pics.

I'd be interested in what they respond with.
View Quote
So would I.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 6:58:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Magpul followers do fit in the E2 body, but you have to use the standard AR spring with them. The blue followers use an updated spring that's not compatible with the standard followers.

Something is definitely wonky if your E2s came with the standard Magpul follower.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 10:35:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I took a picture, but not sure how to post it on this forum?

Link Posted: 5/19/2021 11:17:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I took a picture, but not sure how to post it on this forum?

View Quote

Sent you an email /offer to post.

Tig

ETA pic for @AutumnFragrance:

Attachment Attached File

Strange voodoo.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 2:52:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Strange voodoo.
View Quote

Runs off to check the Okay mags I just got from PA...

Link Posted: 5/19/2021 2:55:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Look to be std Magpul enhanced followers.

Link Posted: 5/19/2021 3:24:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Agree.  I have D&H mags with the same follower.  
Perhaps Okay is having supply issues?  I hope it has the proper spring...
I believe Magpul followers work with standard GI springs... and the Okay Blue followers use a proprietary spring.
Eventually I'll get to range and test them.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 4:06:16 PM EDT
[#15]
They sent you a standard Okay Surefeed mag. Not an E2. Does your order and invoice show that you ordered and paid for E2 mags?
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 4:15:13 PM EDT
[#16]
The package shows E2 but I can’t tell if the mag has the embossing on it.

Might be the wrong mag in the right package.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 4:20:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Good guess... but it is an E2 mag.  It has the dimples and everything!

I have both Okay standard and E2 mags, so I know the difference.

I may have an Okay standard follower with the E2 box.

As I said earlier, I just received 3 of these "Frankenstein" mags from PA.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 4:22:29 PM EDT
[#18]
It has the dimples... the aluminum box is an E2.
I don't want to open the package until I determine they won't be returned.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 7:28:29 PM EDT
[#19]
The blue follower is the same as the tan g.i. follower, I don’t see how that spring and Magpul follower would cause any issues if you get stuck with the mags.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 7:35:44 PM EDT
[#20]
That actually sounds kind of good to me. The new follower and the reversed top round don’t really blow my socks off, so I’d be happy with the textured mag body with a Magpul follower. I know the new style spring is a little stronger, but it’s not like I’ve ever had issues with the original Okay spring.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 8:48:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 9:15:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

FWIW... mine I just bought , from PA , and both the E2 and the Standard have the same ODG follower as well.

View Quote

The plot thickens.....
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 9:59:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The feed lips are tapered, it is a E2 mag body.

FWIW... mine I just bought , from PA , and both the E2 and the Standard have the same ODG follower as well.

I'll disassemble one and post a few pics.

BTW,,, the seams are perfect and smooth... some of my early ones ( E2's ) were pretty sharp.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The feed lips are tapered, it is a E2 mag body.

I'll disassemble one and post a few pics.

BTW,,, the seams are perfect and smooth... some of my early ones ( E2's ) were pretty sharp.

Quoted:

The plot thickens.....

The grey E2s I just got (PA) have the blue follower.  Were yours grey or black?
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 10:23:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 7:48:42 AM EDT
[#25]
That's really weird. I just got some E2s in the past few months and they all have blue followers. I don't think the Magpul followers are going to make them less reliable. But still, I'd be interested to hear what PA has to say about it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 7:53:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Just bought 3 new Okay E2 AR mags from Primary Arms.  They usually come with a blue anti-tilt follower.
These came with a grey follower... appear to the same follower as on my PSA AR-15 mags (I believe they are made by D&H).
It's not just a color issue, the grey follower is a completely different design from the blue (reverse pattern, etc.).

Anybody else have these?

View Quote

E2 always blue. E2 made for Helen Keller.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 11:08:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The CAGE is 33710.

Perhaps a supply issue?

View Quote

It wouldn't matter to me what color the follower is. Okay magazines are world class and I trust them to use quality followers. Like any production line old parts gets used up when transitioning to new parts unless the old part was defective.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 11:39:17 AM EDT
[#28]
I ordered some regular and some E2 from lambo, regular had the gray/green and the E2 had the blue.

ETA

Called Okay out of curiosity and the new E2 have the regular magpul follower and GI spring in them started about a month ago they said, web site is being updated to reflect the change.

As the restocks come in they will no longer have the blue follower, not sure if it makes a difference to most but if you want the now old style blue time to get them is now.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 2:14:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I ordered some regular and some E2 from lambo, regular had the gray/green and the E2 had the blue.

ETA

Called Okay out of curiosity and the new E2 have the regular magpul follower and GI spring in them started about a month ago they said, web site is being updated to reflect the change.

As the restocks come in they will no longer have the blue follower, not sure if it makes a difference to most but if you want the now old style blue time to get them is now.
View Quote

@Dr_Zero

Did Okay give a reason for the change?

ETA:

Just spoke with Okay Ind, supplier for the blue followers is having issues sourcing the polymer. Rather than revalidate/change specs on the followers it was decided to fall back on the tried and true Magpul Enhanced followers w/milspec spring as used in the Surefeed legacy mags.

No defects/issues with the blue followers.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 5:46:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

@Dr_Zero

Did Okay give a reason for the change?

ETA:

Just spoke with Okay Ind, supplier for the blue followers is having issues sourcing the polymer. Rather than revalidate/change specs on the followers it was decided to fall back on the tried and true Magpul Enhanced followers w/milspec spring as used in the Surefeed legacy mags.

No defects/issues with the blue followers.
View Quote

Will it feed M855a1 reliably?
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 5:58:15 PM EDT
[#31]
The magpul style will work for standard 55gr fmj and 62 grain or at least they did for me. I swapped the blue ones out after getting the misfeed on a non feed ramp upper and barrel to see if it would happen with the other style.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 7:58:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Good info from Okay as I too have 4 recently purchased E2's and they have the Magpul followers, my 2 FDE  E2's also have a black base plate.  My other FDE E2's with the blue followers are FDE base plates.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 8:25:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Cannot say for certain.

Improved feed lip design on mag bodies may be sufficient?
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 8:46:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Cannot say for certain.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cannot say for certain.

The follower won’t have much of anything to do with presentation angle.

Regular mags feed M855A1 just fine, it’s just hard on the feed ramps.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 9:10:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The follower won’t have much of anything to do with presentation angle.

Regular mags feed M855A1 just fine, it’s just hard on the feed ramps.
View Quote

Good point.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 10:08:51 PM EDT
[#36]
If someone is super concerned about shooting a lot of A1, Pmags are fine with too.
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 10:42:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 6:32:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Good info from Okay as I too have 4 recently purchased E2's and they have the Magpul followers, my 2 FDE  E2's also have a black base plate.  My other FDE E2's with the blue followers are FDE base plates.
View Quote

I mentioned that about the standard tan Okay Surefeeds in another thread - they changed those baseplates from tan back to black recently too. They started off black, were tan for a couple years, and then back to black. I imagine it's just a cost-cutting measure, since it didn't really make sense to produce different colored baseplates for just the the tan mags. I prefer the look of the matching baseplates, but I understand the business decision, and it obviously doesn't affect function.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 2:27:09 PM EDT
[#39]
I just got 4 (Black) E2's in the mail today. Manufacture date is 01-21. They did not arrive with the blue follower either.

I compared it against an FDE E2 I got last year (still in bag) which does have the blue follower; it was manufactured in 05-20. Packaging is identical and the 'chassis' is the same between the two with same markings, etc. Just the followers are different.

Now that I know the reasoning behind all of this...I'll just run 'em. It's not like I have any A1 lying around anyway...
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 1:55:25 PM EDT
[#40]
For what it's worth.  I just got another order from PA of three of the baby poop FDE E2s and three Gray E2s.  The Gray had the blue followers and the BP FDE had the gray followers.  Springs?  Don't know, don't care; they all work.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 11:35:33 AM EDT
[#41]
The blue and Magpul followers use different (not interchangeable) springs.  Agree that they both probably work fine.
Just noting that the difference between the Okay Surefeed standard and E2 (more expensive) mags is now just the exterior stippling.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 12:00:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The blue and Magpul followers use different (not interchangeable) springs.  Agree that they both probably work fine.
Just noting that the difference between the Okay Surefeed standard and E2 (more expensive) mags is now just the exterior stippling.
View Quote

Feed lips are formed differently to mimic the presentation angle of a Pmag.

Link Posted: 5/31/2021 1:51:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hell, I keep seeing the E2s cheaper than the legacy mags.

Feed lip angle is different on the E2 also, as stated.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 3:38:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Was there an issue with their original angle?
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 4:46:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File

ETA:
Intent was geared towards A1, IIRC.
Disregard. I misspoke.

Link Posted: 5/31/2021 8:20:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.  They present the rounds a little lower than a Pmag and when shooting M855A1 in full auto carbines it was causing damage to the aluminum part of the feedramp.

Link Posted: 5/31/2021 11:44:44 PM EDT
[#47]
View All Quotes

No, the Okay rep who used to lurk here and corresponded with several members told me that they never designed the E2 mags to be used with M855A1, because the E2 was intended for the civilian market, and they didn't expect civilians to ever have access to M855A1. If I recall correctly, he no longer works for Okay, but I'll just share a couple highlights from his email two years ago, in reference to the E2:

They were actually designed to reduce the stripping force required to chamber a cartridge from the magazine, especially the first round. We actually had this design for the new E2 magazine and had it patented prior to being requested to start developing tooling for the new EPM. One of the unintended consequences of the new E2 magazine was that its feedlip design allows the cartridge to start ramping up earlier in the feeding process. This makes the cartridge present itself on a more direct path into the barrel extension and chamber, as opposed to having to make a hard jog over the feed ramp and into the chamber like the standard magazines.

As you probably assumed, we did not create the E2 magazine to feed 855a1 ammo as that round has never been intended for civilian use. It would have been foolish to try and develop a magazines that is optimized to shoot a cartridge that the general public will not get, and was never meant to have. Kind of like creating a solution for a problem that will never present itself. That being said, the E2 magazine does tend to accomplish the same thing. Not so much by design but by dumb luck albeit not with the same reliability as the EPM which is truly designed for the purpose.

Note that his comments reference the feedlip design as being the key improvement on the E2, so they should still feed ammo (including M855A1) smoothly even with Magpul followers instead of their new follower.

As I've mentioned previously, he also confirmed that Okay was producing EPMs for the military, but they definitely seem to be less common than Center's version - at least I've never seen any personally. One member mentioned here that his son was issued some, so apparently they're out there.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 10:33:02 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

No, the Okay rep who used to lurk here and corresponded with several members told me that they never designed the E2 mags to be used with M855A1, because the E2 was intended for the civilian market, and they didn't expect civilians to ever have access to M855A1. If I recall correctly, he no longer works for Okay, but I'll just share a couple highlights from his email two years ago, in reference to the E2:

Note that his comments reference the feedlip design as being the key improvement on the E2, so they should still feed ammo (including M855A1) smoothly even with Magpul followers instead of their new follower.

As I've mentioned previously, he also confirmed that Okay was producing EPMs for the military, but they definitely seem to be less common than Center's version - at least I've never seen any personally. One member mentioned here that his son was issued some, so apparently they're out there.
View Quote

I stand corrected.

I recall discussion on the Okay EPM mags, obviously have my wires crossed.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 11:55:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I stand corrected.

I recall discussion on the Okay EPM mags, obviously have my wires crossed.
View Quote

Totally understandable, there's been a number of posts over the past couple years that have suggested the E2s were designed for M855A1. I suspect that Okay came up with the design to bring something new to the commercial market after Center won the initial government contract to produce EPMs. They probably thought that with all the standard GI-style mag brands on the market, a new, innovative take on the aluminum mag, plus the solid Okay reputation, would appeal to civilian customers.

The one thing that jumped out to me about the E2 as a product targeting the commercial market was the SUREFEED logo stamped on the mag body. That wouldn't fly on a product designed as a hopeful candidate for a government contract. While brand names do appear on military equipment, they are general subdued and no larger than necessary. That made it appear unlikely to be designed to use M855A1 as a possible alternative to the EPM.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 7:34:20 PM EDT
[#50]
I have 2. They gray.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top