Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 7:51:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Even after the modifications, if you would like me to take a look at this for you, I will. I apologize for any frustration. We have had excellent results with our Gen2 and Gen3 barrels.

Thank you,

Josiah
View Quote
That's might decent of you to offer Josiah.

Asswipe Governor of Virginia says he's coming to confiscate this rifle as soon as him and all his asswipes on the warpath can get a law passed. Looks like he might have enough asswipes this time to do exactly that. Don't want to put this in the mail, and then make you a felon for sending it back to me.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 7:59:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Shooter's snug.
Sights are snug.
Barrel is snug in receiver.
Nothing pushing on barrel.
Decent loads.

I'll agree that barrel is a volleyball bat.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 8:00:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Little range report.

I shot the PA-10 with Federal Gold Medal 168. I’d say it shot the FGM a little bit better than my TAC 41.1 / 168SMK.
But not by much. Definitely not enough to commend the Palmetto barrel. I’ll post a couple of those targets shortly.

But first, I want to show y’all something about that TAC handload of mine fired from a different rifle. Again, all firing at 200 yards, prone, sling-support only.

DPMS LR-308-T, unmodified except Geissele trigger and the UBR buttstock. Service rifle sling not shown in this pic.

https://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/rifle%20pics/DPMS/DPMS%20LR-308%20with%20UBR%20and%20scope_zps7ztulpbp.jpg

This pic shows the 10-shot target. I bracketed the actual target with a paper target that is the correct 600-yard-reduced-for-200, and the Shoot-N-C target that has appeared in some of the previous target pics I’ve posted.

This is the kind of accuracy to which I’m accustomed, and which I require of any rifle I will use in competition. The two lowest shots, were called low when fired. No crazy off-call shots like the PA-10 routinely sends. The TAC load wasn’t “developed” for that rifle unless roughly matching 41.5 IMR4895 velocity constitutes “development.”

https://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/rifle%20pics/Palmetto%20PA-10/dpms%20target_zpsllztyphz.jpg

Some folks have commented that I should look at the load. “Develop” a load that the gun likes. Sometimes it really is the load. I get that concept.

Can we agree that sometimes the barrel (or something else with the gun) is the root of the problem, and not the ammunition? I truly believe it’s THE GUN in the case of the PA-10.
View Quote
Yep, sometimes it is the barrel/ gun.

Only other thing I'd say to try if it won't put you out more money would be to try a handguard with a steel barrel nut?

Sling prone puts a strain on things, maybe enough to tweak on the barrel nut and cause what you're seeing.

I may have missed it, have you shot from a bag (unstrained, as it were) and gotten the same results?
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 8:08:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm a complete dork shooting off sandbags and rests.

I would never vouch for or against the inherent accuracy of any rifle I fired off a benchrest rig. I know some folks are real good at it. I'm not one of them

I've been shooting rifles prone, with a sling, A LOT, since 1992. I trust my hold if I'm in the sling. There's lotta folks who are a lot better at it than me - especially if wind becomes a factor.  But, I'll allow I'm pretty good when I get on my belly with a sling.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 8:23:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I get it, just throwing out ways to maybe nail down if it's truly the barrel, or the aluminum nut.

I enjoy shooting from a sling, but my scores say I suck at it, don't have nearly the time put into it you do though.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 8:41:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I should point out that the objective of this rifle was to enter as an M110-compliant service rifle in CMP matches.

So it HAS TO shoot well from prone sling-supported position, or it’s not of much use to me.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 8:57:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I may have missed it but did you check the crown?
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 10:56:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Crown looked good to me. And I did look. More than once.

But I didn't examine gage it with a 0.0001 indicator, or run it it under an electron microscope.

The crown is whatever condition it came from the vendor. I'm 100% sure I've done nothing to change the condition of the crown since it was delivered new.

I don't know whether Palmetto "stress-relieves" their barrels before installing.
I doubt it. If they were doing it, it seems like its something they woudl tout - which they don't

On stress- relieving generally, see https://www.bevfitchett.us/rifling-machine-supplement/stress-relieving.html
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 11:30:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Nvm
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 10:32:12 PM EDT
[#10]
That's a good point? We have avacuum furnace at work? Hmmm. I read this in there too. But i wouldn't want to ruin the barrel.

"One hour of stress relieving at 870°C relieves about 85% of residual stresses."

Edit:nm says should be done before machining.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 11:51:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 10:14:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

BTW.... @W_E_G , because we all enjoy photos.. got any of the complete PSA ?
View Quote
I'm probably gonna just mothball it at this point.
I've tested everything I can test. I've fixed everything I can fix - except the barrel.

Whether its the barrel (I suspect it is), or something else (I've changed damn-near everything else on the gun!), what I know for sure is, this rifle does not shoot to the standard of accuracy I demand for the purpose of which I intended it.

Configured as best as I can to comply with the "service rifle" rule for M-110 rifle in NRA/CMP National Match competition.

Virginia gun laws do not bode well for this rifle in 2020. If it isn't legal to be seen with it in public on July 1, you won't be seeing me with it in public.
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 6:11:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 5:09:51 PM EDT
[#14]
How about I offer you first dibs.

I just had a big screaming hissy fit about not wanting to be a felon and such after the end of the match today.

Young fella mentioned after I quit spittin' and cussin' and kicking the furniture, that he heard that "the republicans were going to cut a deal" on November 17 (that's tomorrow) with the current legislature.
All the new democrats don't get sworn-in until January.

He didn't seem to have any specifics - or if he did, he wasn't telling. I think he is professionally positioned to maybe know some stuff that isn't currently public knowledge. So, who knows what this November 17 is really all about. Maybe all it means is we'll get just the tip for Christmas. The whole shaft in January?

Either way, I might not have much use for the upper - or any of the rest of it - pretty soon. For a whole lotta reasons.

I priced the parts for a proper match-rifle that won't run afoul of the box-fed-semi-auto ban. Looking to be north of $3000 by the time the dust settles.  DAMN it.

Oh yeah, the WECSOG thing. That was from an engineering school calculus class where the prof. told the class that if they  didn't shape up, they'd be lucky to get hired at the Wile E. Coyote School of Gunsmithin'. I thought that observation was appropos, and quite hilarious. So, I adopted the expression, and ran with it on the internet. The acronym seemed to offer a certain everyman-cachet. Guns and Ammo magazine gave me a nod on the "Shooters Almanac" page in 2007. See the box "Gun Terms" toward bottom of page.

Link Posted: 11/16/2019 10:16:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 1:33:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 7:35:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I deadlined my Palmetto bolt at around 700 rounds when at least 25% of the engagment surface of each lug was missing.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 7:55:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Dibs on the lower! Lol jk. Let us know how the new bolt goes.  And the solution to the problem.

I'm going to check out the next nra rifle comp.
You talked about though it's a bit of a drive.

@bfoosh06

Just curious,  i know you shot alot through your original barrel,  what did your bullet look like?
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 9:43:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Are you sure you typed that right?

My bullet?

Ummm... it looks like a 168 Sierra.

Message me, and we can set up a time for me to informally run you through the National Match course of fire at my club (or at YOUR club).
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 10:54:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 10:14:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Are you sure you typed that right?

My bullet?

Ummm... it looks like a 168 Sierra.

Message me, and we can set up a time for me to informally run you through the National Match course of fire at my club (or at YOUR club).
View Quote
Sry,  yeah the bolt is what i meant.  That sounds awesome actually.

@bfoosh06

Roger that,  i will Monitor the bolt to see if the beating gets worse.  My finances have kept me off the range here lately,  so i hope to get out there asap, get some range time soon.
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 10:53:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Sry,  yeah the bolt is what i meant.  
View Quote
I've only given it a cursory examination. Just yanked it out for a glance before putting it back in the case at the range during the testing session.

"Looks good to me" as they say.

I need to detail-clean it to be sure.

The range-time offer stands.
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 8:33:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
First dibs is GTG.

And thanks for the WECSOG story  !
View Quote
@bfoosh06 I sent you a message through the board's messaging system
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 8:54:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top