User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 12
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 8:40:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks, I use NylonX, Nylon reinforced with Carbon Fiber strands. No visible layer lines, stronger and more durable than other materials.
View Quote

Woah, that is some incredibly pricy material, but I can see that the results are worth it! I’m guessing the print time was hell, though?
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 1:17:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Woah, that is some incredibly pricy material, but I can see that the results are worth it! I’m guessing the print time was hell, though?
View Quote

Definitely more expensive, but worth it IMO. Print time was pretty long, something like 19-20 if I remember correctly
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 2:35:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Does anybody have a line on where I can purchase a buttstock hardware kit that will work with these? The kit sold by JSE mentioned earlier in the thread is sold out currently. I'd also just buy some CAR-15 style buttstocks and part them out if I could find some cheap enough, but $40ish is too way much. My google-fu is coming up short.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 2:47:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I am not sure of this but wouldn't the waffle stock parts fit the car 15? I see those used, laying around, and cheap at plenty gunshops.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 9:05:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Does anybody have a line on where I can purchase a buttstock hardware kit that will work with these? The kit sold by JSE mentioned earlier in the thread is sold out currently. I'd also just buy some CAR-15 style buttstocks and part them out if I could find some cheap enough, but $40ish is too way much. My google-fu is coming up short.
View Quote

CDNN currently sells generic branded standard AR15 butt stocks for $10 each. The internals of that work just fine.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 6:25:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

CDNN currently sells generic branded standard AR15 butt stocks for $10 each. The internals of that work just fine.
View Quote
Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks, I ordered 3. Will post pics as soon as I get everything in and put together
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 1:50:46 PM EDT
[#7]
How do we get on the list for one of these?  I have an XM177E2 upper coming and I NEED one of these braces
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 7:48:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Page 4 of this Thread, post by Red, gives instructions on how to purchase.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 11:55:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How do we get on the list for one of these?  I have an XM177E2 upper coming and I NEED one of these braces
View Quote
Where'd you get your upper from?

FYI It took Red just a little over 3 weeks from the time I emailed him to delivery of the 3 braces I ordered.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 2:22:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Where'd you get your upper from?

FYI It took Red just a little over 3 weeks from the time I emailed him to delivery of the 3 braces I ordered.
View Quote

Was that recently? I emailed Red in February and he added me to the list, just figured my name hadn't come up yet.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 4:02:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Was that recently? I emailed Red in February and he added me to the list, just figured my name hadn't come up yet.
View Quote

Same here, January, though, for me...
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 6:32:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Same I emailed him and got on list at end of February still haven’t heard anything
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 8:27:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Ulfberht:
Where'd you get your upper from? 

FYI It took Red just a little over 3 weeks from the time I emailed him to delivery of the 3 braces I ordered. 
View Quote

Brownells has the 11.5”, 1/12 in stock yesterday.  I used a code from gun.deals and it was ~$660 shipped.  Reading the SOG exploits of John Plaster and Franklin Miller had me lusting for one already... now to find a gray lower that matches
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 11:16:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By hessikin:

Was that recently? I emailed Red in February and he added me to the list, just figured my name hadn't come up yet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Was that recently? I emailed Red in February and he added me to the list, just figured my name hadn't come up yet.

Originally Posted By kokopelli:

Same here, January, though, for me...

Originally Posted By ARshooter1990:
Same I emailed him and got on list at end of February still haven’t heard anything

The amount of people emailing me regarding braces has been at least three per DAY for the last few months, and I’m only one person with one working 3D printer. I’m basically throwing a dart at a metaphorical dartboard of people’s names on the list I’ve created and choosing whatever it lands on, so I apologize if it seems like some people aren’t getting focused on, but there’s at least 30+ people on this last and it’s always growing, and I’m going as fast as I can.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 12:06:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Brownells has the 11.5", 1/12 in stock yesterday.  I used a code from gun.deals and it was ~$660 shipped.  Reading the SOG exploits of John Plaster and Franklin Miller had me lusting for one already... now to find a gray lower that matches
View Quote

Funny I ordered the same and it's showing it should arrive tomorrow! I bought a BRN-16A1 lower in gray a few months back to do a MK18 MOD 0 build with. I also have a Nodak A1 lower in gray already built up and ready for a MK12 upper which I'll probably never get around to buying. Kinda went crazy just buying lowers due to Assault Weapon legislation talk in WA state the last few years. Anyways, when this upper comes in, I'll probably see which gray matches better out of the two.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 5:53:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Funny I ordered the same and it's showing it should arrive tomorrow! I bought a BRN-16A1 lower in gray a few months back to do a MK18 MOD 0 build with. I also have a Nodak A1 lower in gray already built up and ready for a MK12 upper which I'll probably never get around to buying. Kinda went crazy just buying lowers due to Assault Weapon legislation talk in WA state the last few years. Anyways, when this upper comes in, I'll probably see which gray matches better out of the two.
View Quote

Definitely let me know which gray works better.  Looking for a gray lower I’m pretty bummed to see they’re all $150 or sold out.  I’m getting more tempted to just get a PSA SBA4 lower and just rattlecan the whole thing, rather than spend all that time and money for a gray lower that may not even match perfectly
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 6:03:20 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm desperately awaiting one. I don't want to ruin this 249F-S prototype by pinning and welding it.

Link Posted: 4/30/2020 6:16:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Red_McCloud:

The amount of people emailing me regarding braces has been at least three per DAY for the last few months, and I’m only one person with one working 3D printer. I’m basically throwing a dart at a metaphorical dartboard of people’s names on the list I’ve created and choosing whatever it lands on, so I apologize if it seems like some people aren’t getting focused on, but there’s at least 30+ people on this last and it’s always growing, and I’m going as fast as I can.
View Quote

No worries and no rush, my build ain't nowhere near complete anyhow. I was just wondering if others had gotten their recently.

I'm sure most of us appreciate this more than you know, Red.

And I can imagine, I see people mentioning your braces on reddit pretty regularly.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 10:38:24 PM EDT
[#19]

No worries and no rush, my build ain't nowhere near complete anyhow. I was just wondering if others had gotten their recently.

I'm sure most of us appreciate this more than you know, Red.

And I can imagine, I see people mentioning your braces on reddit pretty regularly.
View Quote

I've shipped out a good amount of braces in the last few weeks. Where are you seeing my braces mentioned on Reddit, I’m curious.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 12:46:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Patiently waiting for some email or call. 733 clone is complete, except the brace :p
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 1:51:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 12:34:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Damn that looks great Echo.

I've shipped out a good amount of braces in the last few weeks. Where are you seeing my braces mentioned on Reddit, I’m curious.
View Quote

I've seen it mentioned in several threads on RetroAR and also AR15 and maybe a time or two on Guns. Next time I see a mention I'll shoot you a link.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 4:12:27 AM EDT
[#23]

I've had a second unit sitting around for months and just finished out a second lower.  Need to get the second brace painted.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 1:19:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Red, if you are taking on any more orders for a future run I am definitely interested in one or even two.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 1:51:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Red,

Those of us who are waiting for some more to become available to order will continue to be very appreciative and patient.  Thanks for your hard work for us all!

Link Posted: 5/2/2020 2:13:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By TheYellowThing:
Red, if you are taking on any more orders for a future run I am definitely interested in one or even two.

Thanks.
View Quote

Same.

Link Posted: 5/2/2020 4:50:39 PM EDT
[#27]
I spent about a half hour trying to tap the locking pins out of a few Tapco Waffle Stocks I ordered from CDNN. I gave up and then spent another hour or so trying to find parts online. I finally found this: https://www.amazon.com/Tapco-T6-Stock-Plunger-Assembly/dp/B013XSC7PG

Hopefully it'll work. It looks like just about everywhere is sold out of M4 Stock Assembly spare parts and after some reading I think it's due, at least in part, to ban states requiring pinned stocks and some of the methods used to do that.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 7:16:40 PM EDT
[#28]
I spent about a half hour trying to tap the locking pins out of a few Tapco Waffle Stocks I ordered from CDNN. I gave up and then spent another hour or so trying to find parts online. I finally found this: https://www.amazon.com/Tapco-T6-Stock-Plunger-Assembly/dp/B013XSC7PG

Hopefully it'll work. It looks like just about everywhere is sold out of M4 Stock Assembly spare parts and after some reading I think it's due, at least in part, to ban states requiring pinned stocks and some of the methods used to do that.
View Quote

Let me know how this works, I was wondering where to find the missing parts for the empty brace.  I have some standard carbine buttstocks I was thinking I could disassemble but maybe not
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 10:44:43 PM EDT
[#29]
I spent about a half hour trying to tap the locking pins out of a few Tapco Waffle Stocks I ordered from CDNN. I gave up and then spent another hour or so trying to find parts online. I finally found this: https://www.amazon.com/Tapco-T6-Stock-Plunger-Assembly/dp/B013XSC7PG

Hopefully it'll work. It looks like just about everywhere is sold out of M4 Stock Assembly spare parts and after some reading I think it's due, at least in part, to ban states requiring pinned stocks and some of the methods used to do that.
View Quote

Wouldn't just cutting up the stock be an option? As long as the pins are salvageable, you probably aren't going to find a use for the stock afterwards.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 1:46:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Wouldn't just cutting up the stock be an option? As long as the pins are salvageable, you probably aren't going to find a use for the stock afterwards.
View Quote
I'm no expert but I would imagine you could cut the entire assembly out, but wouldn't you still have to tap the pin out in order to reinstall the pieces individually in the brace?
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 11:52:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Just an update for everyone in this thread: I am officially out of filament, and I would appreciate a temporary halt to the emails, haha. I am blessed with the response to my braces, but I don't know what I can do without the necessary filament, and I've just finishing shipping out the 18th brace of this batch (funny how it was supposed to be just a few, then 15, and now finally ended at 18 due to just lack of materials!).

However, I am looking forward to the feedback from those who've acquired that batch of 18, and I'm looking forward to their postings on this thread as well!
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 12:30:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Just an update for everyone in this thread: I am officially out of filament, and I would appreciate a temporary halt to the emails, haha. I am blessed with the response to my braces, but I don't know what I can do without the necessary filament, and I've just finishing shipping out the 18th brace of this batch (funny how it was supposed to be just a few, then 15, and now finally ended at 18 due to just lack of materials!).

However, I am looking forward to the feedback from those who've acquired that batch of 18, and I'm looking forward to their postings on this thread as well!
View Quote

Also, a hearty THANK YOU to all those who've been willing and waiting for my braces. I tried as best I could to scatter about the 18 I managed to make, and wish I could've got to all of the 30+ people who've emailed me.
I am just one college kid with a simple idea that I am blessed to have been proven right about; my very first AR15 was a BRN-601, to put things into context.

But still, thank you all. I hope that when I get my next project done, one that's a lot more niche but I think, in that way, a lot more important/impactful, that the reaction to THAT will be just as positive.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 1:17:59 PM EDT
[#33]

Also, a hearty THANK YOU to all those who've been willing and waiting for my braces. I tried as best I could to scatter about the 18 I managed to make, and wish I could've got to all of the 30+ people who've emailed me.
I am just one college kid with a simple idea that I am blessed to have been proven right about; my very first AR15 was a BRN-601, to put things into context. 

But still, thank you all. I hope that when I get my next project done, one that's a lot more niche but I think, in that way, a lot more important/impactful, that the reaction to THAT will be just as positive. 
View Quote

It was fun just reading this thread, very cool and good job.

I hear you guys just got extended another 60 day stay at home order?

Stay healthy
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 12:50:47 AM EDT
[#34]
In for 2 units.  Emailed yesterday and received instructions. Thanks red
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 9:53:52 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm so glad I found this thread. I was about to have to p/w a muzzle device that I really didn't want to!
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 10:19:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 7:48:09 PM EDT
[#37]

They look.....heavy!

Link Posted: 5/9/2020 12:37:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49844237963_1d37ba2c3e_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49845087482_0293eb90db_b.jpg

I've had a second unit sitting around for months and just finished out a second lower.  Need to get the second brace painted.
View Quote
Kickassery.

Please say again, state again how you painted it.
I want to now, it's mandatory ( I have three)
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 2:27:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By SoloDallas:
Kickassery.

Please say again, state again how you painted it.
I want to now, it's mandatory ( I have three)
View Quote

Thanks brother, it's not perfect, but it's presentable with some work.  The 2nd brace I bought had cleaner printing lines.  I hit it with Rustoleum Black Primer, sand it.  For areas with deep grooves or smaller deeper pot marks, I fill it in with super glue and sand it flat when dry.  Add more primer, and repeat, then top it off with Krylon flat black.  Buff off with a shop towel and call it good.

Link Posted: 5/9/2020 5:27:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Thanks bruh!!!
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:51:57 AM EDT
[#41]
I was talking to my nephew who has a printer and this came up. He has a cheap printer that was around $100, and has a $25 roll of white filament. He mainly plays with it, but said that he sees open source files online for tons of gun parts.

He printed off an adapter for my Ruger Charger that turned out great:

Attachment Attached File

Then he found this:
Neato

and made this:

Attachment Attached File

He said tweaking the design to remove the flat shoulder part was simple. A quick spray with Rustoleum Camo resulted in this:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Some prep work with sanding and priming would no doubt make it look a lot better...
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 3:32:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Echo2-7:

Thanks brother, it's not perfect, but it's presentable with some work.  The 2nd brace I bought had cleaner printing lines.  I hit it with Rustoleum Black Primer, sand it.  For areas with deep grooves or smaller deeper pot marks, I fill it in with super glue and sand it flat when dry.  Add more primer, and repeat, then top it off with Krylon flat black.  Buff off with a shop towel and call it good.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49873084166_4fb9e96fdf_b.jpg
View Quote

That's just a great looking rifle. Thanks for detailing this, definitely going to be going this route.

Has anyone finished with plastidip or something with some texture?
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 6:36:41 AM EDT
[#43]
I could really use 3 of these.

Any idea if you will make more? I need to throw money away and this is the perfect item to do that with.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 8:58:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By waynelte:
I could really use 3 of these.

Any idea if you will make more? I need to throw money away and this is the perfect item to do that with.
View Quote

I will make more, I’m just waiting on some more filament to arrive in the next few weeks (things have been waaay slowed down regarding shipping.)
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 6:27:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Thank God for @Red_McCloud and not having to pin and weld  muzzle device I wouldn't be able to replace

Edit: the ankh on the back is a nice touch. I hope it sticks around through the painting and sanding
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 11:42:06 PM EDT
[#46]

Not sure how to post these pictures. They show up when I do a preview but after posting they're just links....

Brownells A1 lower with Brownells XM177E2 11.5 upper. Red's brace saved me from buying the uglier 12.5 pinned version. From what I can tell, it looks like Brownells has made some changes since these first came out. For example the finish is much lighter (and slightly purple in sunlight) than the lower which I bought over a year ago. Also the bayonet lug is gone which lots of people complained about still being there when these came out. Finally the ejection port cover is A1 style which has changed as they reportedly came with A2 style covers when they came out.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 9:09:54 AM EDT
[#47]
https://i.imgur.com/Q27Tc0N.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/8brnTWM.jpg 

Not sure how to post these pictures. They show up when I do a preview but after posting they're just links....

Brownells A1 lower with Brownells XM177E2 11.5 upper. Red's brace saved me from buying the uglier 12.5 pinned version. From what I can tell, it looks like Brownells has made some changes since these first came out. For example the finish is much lighter (and slightly purple in sunlight) than the lower which I bought over a year ago. Also the bayonet lug is gone which lots of people complained about still being there when these came out. Finally the ejection port cover is A1 style which has changed as they reportedly came with A2 style covers when they came out.
View Quote

That's hot
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 2:20:43 PM EDT
[#48]

Not sure how to post these pictures. They show up when I do a preview but after posting they're just links....

Brownells A1 lower with Brownells XM177E2 11.5 upper. Red's brace saved me from buying the uglier 12.5 pinned version. From what I can tell, it looks like Brownells has made some changes since these first came out. For example the finish is much lighter (and slightly purple in sunlight) than the lower which I bought over a year ago. Also the bayonet lug is gone which lots of people complained about still being there when these came out. Finally the ejection port cover is A1 style which has changed as they reportedly came with A2 style covers when they came out.
View Quote

Awesome stuff like THIS is why I created the brace, lovely build!
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 6:54:22 PM EDT
[#49]

View Quote

I actually really love the color on these uppers! Looks great.

Same process as others have done with the brace to finish it?
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 4:42:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I actually really love the color on these uppers! Looks great.

Same process as others have done with the brace to finish it?
View Quote

Not exactly... I bought 3 braces and, because I'm extremely impatient, I quickly did one up with 3 or 4 coats of an old "whatever brand" matte black spray paint I had laying around the garage. I have a can of gloss black alumahyde coming in the mail I want to use to try and replicate the glossy look on the original aluminum stocks. I also have a can of alumahyde in "Parkerized Grey" which I'm considering using on the upper and lower to lighten them up and make them match.

Mine didn't have horribly deep 3D print lines so the spray paint sort of filled in the lines that were present. For the nicer, "glossy" brace I'll probably do some sanding and see how that goes. Honestly the brace looked pretty decent the way it came in the mail, maybe even better than some of the old Colt CAR style stocks I've seen laying around our armory.
Page / 12
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top