AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:31:08 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have an ssa on my scoped 20" rifle I use for hunting. Great trigger all around and perfect pull wieght. I like the crisper break in my friends ssa-e, it is definetly wayy crisper than my ssa carrot break, but the ssa-e feels scary light to me and belongs on a bench gun in my opinion. I tightened my groups by about an inch switching from mil spec to ssa.   No regrets getting the ssa, but I do wish it was a crisper break. Ideally the best trigger never made woul be a ssa pull weight with a candy cane break of the ssa-e.
View Quote
What do you think is more important?

Consistency or crisper trigger.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:01:02 PM EDT
[#2]
SSA for a combat/home defense AR.

SSA-E for a precision long distance AR.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:13:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Geissele describes the difference pretty succinctly:   SSA - "carrot break,"   SSA-E - "candy cane break."  This is very accurate. The former is a bit more gradual, the latter is "right now."

I have owned only the SSA-E, but have shot many rifles with the SSA.   I also agree with an earlier assertion that the trigger "shelf" before the stage 2 hammer drop is more pronounced and noticeable in the SSA-E.   This makes it easier for me to hold the trigger right at the end of stage 1.  I can hold it indefinitely for precision or target work, where breathing control and very fine rifle sight adjustments are needed.   It is harder for me to get to that shelf and hold it there while making adjustments with the SSA, although the difference in stage 1 weight between the two triggers is very slight.

The actual difference in perceived weight, on either stage 1 or stage 2 seems less discernible than the shelf detection and the crispness of the final trigger release and hammer drop.  The stage two "break" is much lighter, at 1.2 lbs, for the "E" compared to 2.0 pounds for the SSA.   This is more noticeable.

That's about as analytical as I can make it.   You really need to find someone with each type and give them a try.  At least dry fire them.

If all you run is a red dot, you do not need the SSA-E.  But if precision shooting with breathing control and fine manipulation of the rifle for long distance shooting or high precision are needed, the "E" is fantastic.   Now that I've used the "E" for a couple years, I have no problem also using it for HD.  It becomes a matter of muscle memory and being intimately familiar with the rifle.   The "E" is not unsafe for HD, but it's benefits would be wasted if HD and CQB tactical work or center of mass shooting at under 100 yards is all the rifle would see.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:23:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Geissele describes the difference pretty succinctly:   SSA - "carrot break,"   SSA-E - "candy cane break."  This is very accurate. The former is a bit more gradual, the latter is "right now."

I have owned only the SSA-E, but have shot many rifles with the SSA.   I also agree with an earlier assertion that the trigger "shelf" before the stage 2 hammer drop is more pronounced and noticeable in the SSA-E.   This makes it easier for me to hold the trigger right at the end of stage 1.  I can hold it indefinitely for precision or target work, where breathing control and very fine rifle sight adjustments are needed.   It is harder for me to get to that shelf and hold it there while making adjustments with the SSA, although the difference in stage 1 weight between the two triggers is very slight.

The actual difference in perceived weight, on either stage 1 or stage 2 seems less discernible than the shelf detection and the crispness of the final trigger release and hammer drop.  The stage two "break" is much lighter, at 1.2 lbs, for the "E" compared to 2.0 pounds for the SSA.   This is more noticeable.

That's about as analytical as I can make it.   You really need to find someone with each type and give them a try.  At least dry fire them.

If all you run is a red dot, you do not need the SSA-E.  But if precision shooting with breathing control and fine manipulation of the rifle for long distance shooting or high precision are needed, the "E" is fantastic.   Now that I've used the "E" for a couple years, I have no problem also using it for HD.  It becomes a matter of muscle memory and being intimately familiar with the rifle.   The "E" is not unsafe for HD, but it's benefits would be wasted if HD and CQB tactical work or center of mass shooting at under 100 yards is all the rifle would see.
View Quote

Some sound advice here.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:38:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Jimmy, I thought that Asian Ninja Wizards couldn't fart. You're supposed to be too stealth for that.

I do want to try out a DMR trigger for sure though.
View Quote

In my case, It's technically an SBD (Silent But Deadly) toxic gas discharge..LOL..
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:01:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Went with the SSA.  Great feedback from everyone.  Found it for 188.00 brand new.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:20:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Went with the SSA.  Great feedback from everyone.  Found it for 188.00 brand new.
View Quote

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top