Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 12:55:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
IN FOR A NDS STONER 63

ka

Not that I'd be able to afford one, but it makes me wonder what it would cost for an entirely-new build Stoner 63 replica?
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 2:09:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Stoner trivia:

I read a SEAL's memoir of Vietnam years ago and he mentioned being out on a mission on a river in South Vietnam when someone dropped a Stoner rifle overboard.  Years later, I read a book by a different ex-SEAL who wrote about a Stoner that was found in a river, cleaned up and found functional.  The manufacturer, Cadillac Gauge, paid for him to fly back to the States with the Stoner so they could get some good PR out of it.  Amazing that it was recovered and amazing that the loss and recovery were described in two books by different authors who apparently weren't aware of the other's book.

BTW, there is a Stoner on display at the SEAL Museum in Ft. Pierce, FL.
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 3:30:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Not that I'd be able to afford one, but it makes me wonder what it would cost for an entirely-new build Stoner 63 replica?

It would really depend more on how many they plan to produce than anything else. There are no parts kits. These guns more or less don't exist anymore. It's not like building an MG-42 clone or refurbishing an old Chevy. Those are relatively cheap stamped parts for small niche markets but, those niches are large enough to get a high enough volume of parts out the door to give a reasonable price to the finished/unfinished product. With this, your cloning an entire weapon system from scratch. Your the only source of parts. It's a wager. The more you make, the more affordable it'll be to the end user but, the more you make, the more risk you take from the product not selling.

Personally, I think it could be done. I don't know where the company is financially but, the Robinson seems to have sold well enough and it wasn't even really a clone. The base M96 goes for around 2k these days which, were it new, wouldn't be all that unreasonable.

Link Posted: 6/3/2011 3:40:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would really depend more on how many they plan to produce than anything else. There are no parts kits. These guns more or less don't exist anymore. It's not like building an MG-42 clone or refurbishing an old Chevy. Those are relatively cheap stamped parts for small niche markets but, those niches are large enough to get a high enough volume of parts out the door to give a reasonable price to the finished/unfinished product. With this, your cloning an entire weapon system from scratch. Your the only source of parts. It's a wager. The more you make, the more affordable it'll be to the end user but, the more you make, the more risk you take from the product not selling.

Personally, I think it could be done. I don't know where the company is financially but, the Robinson seems to have sold well enough and it wasn't even really a clone. The base M96 goes for around 2k these days which, were it new, wouldn't be all that unreasonable.

Maybe a collaboration between companies...? I'm in. I would even prepay if we thought it was a company we could trust. I've been waiting on a piston 5.56 variant to catch my eye, and I think this would fill the niche.
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 6:29:00 PM EDT
[#5]
IF Robinson would resurrect the M96, and IF Robinson would tweak it so that it was more a Stoner, and IF they would get the conversion kits up and running...I think they'd sell.  Hell, I'd buy one of those before an XCR
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 12:02:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
IF Robinson would resurrect the M96, and IF Robinson would tweak it so that it was more a Stoner, and IF they would get the conversion kits up and running...I think they'd sell.  Hell, I'd buy one of those before an XCR

Dream on my good man...   dream on...

Link Posted: 6/4/2011 9:24:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 9:55:15 AM EDT
[#8]
And that's not counting R&D for the semi-auto only version, legal affairs, materials, labor... To make it feasible, I imagine you'd have to make and sell several thousand guns. Big gamble there... and a darn shame too...

Any rich whac...er uh... nut jo... uh... generous respectable folk wan't to donate to the cause?

Link Posted: 6/4/2011 10:03:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It would cost several hundred thousand dollars to tool up for that gun to be done properly.

I'm in for $1000.
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 10:25:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Hmm.  An NDS-quality semi-auto Stoner 63?
Yeah, I'd gladly invest a couple thousand up front in exchange for store credit when they're ready!

I mean, man, you know that would be a world-class, top-quality rifle.  Even in 5.56, I'd buy one of those before I bought a modern AR10 or SR25 (with no disrespect intended to either Armalite or KAC).

Link Posted: 6/4/2011 10:50:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Good Grief an NDS 63A.  Kinda has a ring to it.  That would be a holy grail rifle, err, carbine, if done right.  Someday someone will do it, bringing back history. Something tells me it would have to get through
R. Knight first.
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 12:52:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Maybe we should petition Knight's to start cranking them out for the civvy market?
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 1:18:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Maybe we should petition Knight's to start cranking them out for the civvy market?

I'm really suprised he hasn't already....with the success he had with the SR25, and his love for the classics. When I first got wind of the AR180 being re-released I was happier than a dog at a hub cap factory.  Then when it finally did get released.......we all know the rest of that story.  I'm sure it's a cost thing that prevents manufacturer's from making  them like  they did in 63.

Today some marketing exec. will decry there's no market for it even before it get's designed.  Good thing that didn't happen with the AR15.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top