AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 4:15:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@mr_stretchy

Disagree all you want. There isn't "too many variables" and I already stated my opinion and posted pics of my KAC upper without this damage. The face of the bolt lugs aren't supposed to slam into the extension lugs on their way in and that's the end of it.

How could you consider face to face contact between the bolt and barrel extension normal? It may not be that big of an issue for the OP since It's making minimal contact, but trust me, that isn't happening by design.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like normal wear to me, im no expert by any means but ive been shooting ARs for the last 6 years or so and i personally would not worry about it. the only question i have for you is, does it run? if it does then just shoot it and have fun with it. you should see the lugs on my 7.5".
It isn't normal wear. The faces of the bolt lugs should never be making contact with the extension lugs on their way into battery. Will it shorten the life of the bolt? Maybe, maybe not. Depends on how much contact there is. Although, any contact made is adding undue stress to the lugs. The bolt face contacting the extension definitely isn't built into the design. I would like to know who the manufacturer is.

Quoted:

Gross lol. Do you shoot it suppressed? That's what mine look like after a couple hundred rounds suppressed.
Yes, it gets dirty quick.
Sorry, but going to have to disagree with you. Too many variables. Bottom line is not all componets wear the same way, yes I know there are tolerances but everything wears differently, some plateforms are harder on some more so than others.
@mr_stretchy

Disagree all you want. There isn't "too many variables" and I already stated my opinion and posted pics of my KAC upper without this damage. The face of the bolt lugs aren't supposed to slam into the extension lugs on their way in and that's the end of it.

How could you consider face to face contact between the bolt and barrel extension normal? It may not be that big of an issue for the OP since It's making minimal contact, but trust me, that isn't happening by design.
Wrong
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 4:23:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Wrong
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like normal wear to me, im no expert by any means but ive been shooting ARs for the last 6 years or so and i personally would not worry about it. the only question i have for you is, does it run? if it does then just shoot it and have fun with it. you should see the lugs on my 7.5".
It isn't normal wear. The faces of the bolt lugs should never be making contact with the extension lugs on their way into battery. Will it shorten the life of the bolt? Maybe, maybe not. Depends on how much contact there is. Although, any contact made is adding undue stress to the lugs. The bolt face contacting the extension definitely isn't built into the design. I would like to know who the manufacturer is.

Quoted:

Gross lol. Do you shoot it suppressed? That's what mine look like after a couple hundred rounds suppressed.
Sorry, but going to have to disagree with you. Too many variables. Bottom line is not all componets wear the same way, yes I know there are tolerances but everything wears differently, some plateforms are harder on some more so than others.
@mr_stretchy

Wrong
Okay, bud. You're right. It's totally normal for the bolt lugs to slam into the barrel extension as the gun cycles. Thanks for clearing it up.

See the last few posts above yours for a clear explanation of why it's happening and how to correct it since you don't seem to understand. Even have a pro in here saying its not right and he wouldn't allow it. Wanna know why? Because it's not normal and shouldn't be happening. Not understanding why you think this damage, because that's what it is, is normal and acceptable.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 4:24:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Well damn it, now I am going to go look...
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 4:31:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Well damn it, now I am going to go look...
View Quote
Don't worry, man. It's normal.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 4:45:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Okay, bud. You're right. It's totally normal for the bolt lugs to slam into the barrel extension as the gun cycles. Thanks for clearing it up.

See the last few posts above yours for a clear explanation of why it's happening and how to correct it since you don't seem to understand. Even have a pro in here saying its not right and he wouldn't allow it. Wanna know why? Because it's not normal and shouldn't be happening. Not understanding why you think this damage, because that's what it is, is normal and acceptable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

@mr_stretchy

Wrong

I'm just kidding. Yeah, I read it. Some good info.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 8:16:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Caused by tolerance stacking.  Factors involved include barrel alignment pin notch, gas key/charging handle channel width (where the cam pin rides in the upper) and of course cam pin width.

If the barrel truly looks centered (which it is not based on the pics), not likely your alignment pin notch, but don't dismiss this entirely.

If the cam pin running area in the upper allows too much play of the cam pin, only real option is replacing the upper if you really don't want these marks.

If the cam pin is too narrow on it's own, that's an easy replacement.

If it's a stacked factor of all three, then a minor change in any one of them can alleviate this issue.  Easiest to do is to find a cam pin with a wider head followed by disassembling the upper and re-torqueing on the barrel.  How you do this will dictate the direction the barrel wants to "rest" when done.  Use a reaction rod system and the barrel will naturally cant to the right (OPV).  Use receiver clamshell and the receiver will naturally cant to the left.

If re attaching the barrel clears the issue up but the feed ramps don't appear aligned, no worries. Not a big deal.  There's always a chance the feed ramps were machined slightly offset as well, and if the builder used the feed ramps as their alignment "gauge", then the whole thing would be off.

Personally, i'd re-torque the barrel to clear this issue up.  I wouldn't allow this kind of work out of my shops over seas and I certainly don't allow it when I work on guns for people here at home either.
View Quote
The barrel is perfectly centered.

https://imgur.com/a/C8mGG

I could see cam pin  path and cam pin tolerances causing excess play to make it make contact. I just don’t see how it would produce minimal contact on two lugs and then no contact on others. It would seem to me that if it was hitting some it would hit others.

Considering how many rifles this company makes and considering I have had this on 3 of their rifles dating back to 2011 or 12 I would think that I couldn’t possible have the only 3 examples of this. I would have to imagine a lot of people have marks like this on their rifles. I have not read any stories of their rifles breaking bolts left and right.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 8:24:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just an FYI. I had sent in one upper. This was my response.

“Your upper group received a very thorough inspection and test fire.  Based on our analysis, we are confident in stating that your upper and all operating components are functioning well within designed specifications and does not present an area of concern.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions,”
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 9:02:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I could see cam pin  path and cam pin tolerances causing excess play to make it make contact. I just don’t see how it would produce minimal contact on two lugs and then no contact on others. It would seem to me that if it was hitting some it would hit others.

Considering how many rifles this company makes and considering I have had this on 3 of their rifles dating back to 2011 or 12 I would think that I couldn’t possible have the only 3 examples of this. I would have to imagine a lot of people have marks like this on their rifles. I have not read any stories of their rifles breaking bolts left and right.
View Quote
Easy.

You'd just have to measure the dimensions of lugs and all relevant interfaces.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 10:38:04 PM EDT
[#9]
The bolt rides in with it contact when pulling the charging handle back and Riding the bolt into battery very slowly. All bolt lugs are the same width.   measured with calipers.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 11:32:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I looked, I don't have this going on with any.

Okay, some are filthy
I don't see any contact, though
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 2:03:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Akshually, the barrel is slight cant right. Extraordinarily minor though and in the wrong direction to be the cause of the issue. ;-)

That being said, there's a canting issue with your BCG/cam pin/receiver.  Could possibly even be an out of spec carrier/cam slot.

Best thing to do now is swap BCG's and see if a new one does the same thing.

Off chance it could be a very strange out of spec part, how's the wear on the bottom of your charge handle where it rests on the carrier key?
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 9:47:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

“Your upper group received a very thorough inspection and test fire.  Based on our analysis, we are confident in stating that your upper and all operating components are functioning well within designed specifications and does not present an area of concern.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's because they didn't wanna fix it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 10:00:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 10:14:21 AM EDT
[#14]
So, as the channel in the carrier wears, and the cam pin wears, you could see this contact?  I have one that is severely overgassed and suppressed, and the cam pin is in need of replacement, it is so worn.  I am actually running this one to see the failure point, and it is not allowing this contact

I am not fretting, nor saying the sky will fall, I am actually just curious.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 11:37:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Akshually, the barrel is slight cant right. Extraordinarily minor though and in the wrong direction to be the cause of the issue. ;-)

That being said, there's a canting issue with your BCG/cam pin/receiver.  Could possibly even be an out of spec carrier/cam slot.

Off chance it could be a very strange out of spec part, how's the wear on the bottom of your charge handle where it rests on the carrier key?
View Quote
Charging handle looks fine. There is a little scuffing on the face of the charging handle where the half moon section of the carrier makes contact when the bcg cycles or when you charge it. The under side of the chargigbhandle is blemish free indicating the carrier key is centered.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 11:43:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hard to swap bcg and see if the wear continues. This wear was there from day one and now on to about 1000 rounds it looks the same.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 11:50:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So, as the channel in the carrier wears, and the cam pin wears, you could see this contact?  I have one that is severely overgassed and suppressed, and the cam pin is in need of replacement, it is so worn.  I am actually running this one to see the failure point, and it is not allowing this contact

I am not fretting, nor saying the sky will fall, I am actually just curious.
View Quote
That's awesome. I've only ever ran one that far once, but it was exactly like what youre doing. Just kept going and going to see what would finally end up failing first. The bolt ended up starting to crack at the cam pin hole at 18k and change rounds. At that point i just tore it down, rebuilt it, and rebarreled it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 11:51:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Hard to swap bcg and see if the wear continues. This wear was there from day one and now on to about 1000 rounds it looks the same.
View Quote
At least it isn't progressively worsening. That's a plus, although I still wouldn't like it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 12:21:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ok.  That's a good thing at least.  Only takes a single impact to make those marks.

If it's not gotten any worse over time and isn't affecting function, roll with it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 9:42:37 PM EDT
[#20]
I have one rifle with some wear on a few of the bottom lugs of a bolt. It is a DLC style BCG and the finish is worn off. The metal also seems to show signs of wear in a certain direction, suggestive of the bolt entering the chamber. The rifle has over 2000 rounds and I have not noticed any operational issues. The bolt also functions well when riding it into the chamber, on a test. I get what everyone is saying and it makes sense, that this doesn't seem right. On the other hand I can't say it's abnormal...
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 1:43:34 PM EDT
[#21]
It's just fine....

Shoot it.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top