Quoted:
It’s probably none of that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is there any idea why DD was chosen for the barrel over FN chf?
Probably price. Procurement usually boils down to who can make us this part, in these specs, for the lowest cost.
ETA but then again, SOCOM funding isn't AS limited, so it could be another (maybe performance) factor from testing
What do you think it is?
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 5:10:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I believe Mark Westrom`s ArmaLite  studied the benefits of a midlength gas system in detail. ArmaLite offered the first production midlength uppers and carbines IIRC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
One can only hope, but with that said, I believe Colt did an actual study on the pros/cons of Carbine vs Mid-length gas systems and found there were no quality gains in going to a Mid-length setup.  But I would be interested to see how, if any, much longer parts last on a 3 position rifle with a Mid-length gas system as opposed to carbine.
Since the benefits of a 20” rifle and it’s gas system are well known the mid length in theory splits the difference.
I believe Mark Westrom`s ArmaLite  studied the benefits of a midlength gas system in detail. ArmaLite offered the first production midlength uppers and carbines IIRC.
This is a 14.5" mid length though, not a 16".
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 6:10:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What do you think it is?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Probably price. Procurement usually boils down to who can make us this part, in these specs, for the lowest cost.
ETA but then again, SOCOM funding isn't AS limited, so it could be another (maybe performance) factor from testing
What do you think it is?
While I think price is a factor, I think the other benefits of the DD midlength barrel are far more important in choosing that barrel over others. New uppers means new barrels means new contracts means getting what end users want vs what’s forced on them. DD gave them what they wanted vs what they already had.

That just my opinion, though, and after reading what I just wrote, I doubt it’ll make any sense to anyone, esp me!
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 6:17:22 PM EDT
[#4]
If the URG does not come with the G's new bolt, I will wait.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 6:25:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
While I think price is a factor, I think the other benefits of the DD midlength barrel are far more important in choosing that barrel over others. New uppers means new barrels means new contracts means getting what end users want vs what’s forced on them. DD gave them what they wanted vs what they already had.

That just my opinion, though, and after reading what I just wrote, I doubt it’ll make any sense to anyone, esp me!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What do you think it is?

No worries brother. If there are pro's of the DD (CHF too I think?) barrel over the FN CHF, that makes perfect sense too.

I just figure if you have 2 barrels, both CHF, both mid length gas, both 14.5 .gov pro, difference being FN or DD I would guess that decision came down to cost.

But honestly who the hell knows, could be something as simple as "the man" at DD was friends with "the man" making the call.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 7:04:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If the URG does not come with the G's new bolt, I will wait.
View Quote
Why would it? The URG-I as specced uses a standard BCG.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 9:49:06 PM EDT
[#8]
So no BUIS....so we are at KAC prices, with no improved gas, no improved BCG, no BUIS, etc.  Doubt I will get this any time soon.

What's DD's response gonna be with regards to if they will sell their rails minus the upper now?
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 10:20:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So no BUIS....so we are at KAC prices, with no improved gas, no improved BCG, no BUIS, etc.  Doubt I will get this any time soon.

What's DD's response gonna be with regards to if they will sell their rails minus the upper now?
View Quote
Yes, per Brownels pricing:

URG w/ milspec bcg and no irons - $1379

KAC SR15-E3 - E3 enhanced BCG, KAK irons - $1700

So you get a lot more for the extra $321.

But if "value + performance" were primary concerns, the various SOPMOD clones would not nearly be as popular as they are
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 11:14:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Doesn't matter, their rail is gonna be old news, lots of FDE RIS IIs will be on the market soon.

DD is still keeping their sweet Gov $$$$ flowing since the new upper will be using a DD barrel.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 11:16:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

But if "value + performance" were primary concerns, the various SOPMOD clones would not nearly be as popular as they are
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea but the cloners want the new URG

Price is not a issue to many as long as it is clone correct.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 4:31:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Is this gonna be the official Block III thread?
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 9:51:52 AM EDT
[#13]
So the barrel is DD, but what about the upper and BCG?  I saw the upper had a "o" forging in the Brownell's add.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 12:02:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So the barrel is DD, but what about the upper and BCG?  I saw the upper had a "o" forging in the Brownell's add.
View Quote
Uppers are still likely Colt, BCG definitely is still standard GI Colt. The Brownells upper isn't 100% clone correct across the board as we know the Warcomp was not chosen, instead SOCOM went with the SF4P. This was likely worked up with Geissele from the USASOC data they released, just before the full final configuration was finalized.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 4:17:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Aren’t they buying DD barrels now for the block 2? Or rather, uppers?
View Quote
Negative. There are a trace few DD barrels and even URGs floating around the DoD, but none as programs of record or with allocated O&M funding.

Uppers are standard NSN.

Regarding the Brownells ones, SF Warcomps were only there for photography, what was on hand. SF3Ps it is.

S/F
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 4:32:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Since the benefits of a 20” rifle and it’s gas system are well known the mid length in theory splits the difference.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One can only hope, but with that said, I believe Colt did an actual study on the pros/cons of Carbine vs Mid-length gas systems and found there were no quality gains in going to a Mid-length setup.  But I would be interested to see how, if any, much longer parts last on a 3 position rifle with a Mid-length gas system as opposed to carbine.
Firing M855A1, average bolt life (defined by lug shearing off) just north of 10,500 rounds, with Colt bolts on the higher end of the spectrum of 13,000 rounds and change.

There is a statistically significant gain in MRBS due to a significant drop in bolt carrier speeds. The dwell time change is just fine for M855A1, and suppressed use.

If you're firing a 14.5" gun today in a serious capacity, using full power duty ammunition, mid length is the unemotional and optimal answer.

S/F
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 5:04:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Regarding the Brownells ones, SF Warcomps were only there for photography, what was on hand. SF3Ps it is.

S/F
View Quote
The brownells listing specifically says the urgi comes with a warcomp
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 5:08:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Right, my guys at Batt said they get uppers from DD NIW. The PL I knew there mandated the Block 2 when the Block 1 was still authorized because “it is quantifiably more accurate.”
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 5:23:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

S/F
That's incorrect and will be corrected soon, good Sir! Those were just a stand in.

S/F
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 5:28:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
That's incorrect and will be corrected soon, good Sir! Those were just a stand in.

S/F
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

S/F

S/F
Interesting. I'm surprised the SF3P was picked over the SF4P. Honestly I would've guessed the SF3P would be LAST to get picked over the SF4P, open tined 3P warcomp, and SF3P
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 5:34:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Interesting. I'm surprised the SF3P was picked over the SF4P. Honestly I would've guessed the SF3P would be LAST to get picked over the SF4P, open tined 3P warcomp, and SF3P
View Quote
For the civilian market, the SF3P will be on the new URG-I upper sold by Geissele. The .mil version will feature the SF4P.

I'm surprised the Warcomp wasn't chosen, as I like it better than the SF3P.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 5:37:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
For the civilian market, the SF3P will be on the new URG-I upper sold by Geissele. The .mil version will feature the SF4P.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now that makes more sense.

I guess I should start leaving disclaimers, I only give a damn about the as-issued parts. Lol

I'm surprised it wasn't too. Maybe if it was a open tined 4P.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 6:11:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I guess I should start leaving disclaimers, I only give a damn about the as-issued parts. Lol

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So then the only difference is the P&W muzzle device?

What about gas block?

DD or Geissele?
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 7:41:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Not that it really matters, but just more of a huh type thing.....   14.5 midlength, I wonder what the gas port size is.....  And as someone said, if it's optimized for M855A1, what might that mean for other ammo.

And to further that, I wonder if the plan is to use a standard CAR buffer or still go with an H2.......
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 7:51:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Not that it really matters, but just more of a huh type thing.....   14.5 midlength, I wonder what the gas port size is.....  And as someone said, if it's optimized for M855A1, what might that mean for other ammo.

And to further that, I wonder if the plan is to use a standard CAR buffer or still go with an H2.......
View Quote
0.076" gas port.

Other quality ammunition runs just fine. I've run them with 70gr. Brown Tip, A059, AB57, AB49, AA53/67, and a slew of others.

ETA - Have NOT tried it with Mk255 Mod 0 RRLP. I believe folks have, but will try it and report back if I can remember.

Buffer assembly configuration is standard carbine spring with H2 buffer for foreseeable future.

Mid term plan is to delve into bolt enhancements so bolt/barrel changes are at 1:1 ratio.

Hope this helps!

S/F
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 7:58:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
0.076" gas port.

Other quality ammunition runs just fine. I've run them with 70gr. Brown Tip, A059, AB57, AB49, AA53/67, and a slew of others.

ETA - Have NOT tried it with Mk255 Mod 0 RRLP. I believe folks have, but will try it and report back if I can remember.

Buffer assembly configuration is standard carbine spring with H2 buffer for foreseeable future.

Mid term plan is to delve into bolt enhancements so bolt/barrel changes are at 1:1 ratio.

Hope this helps!

S/F
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

0.076" gas port.

Hope this helps!

S/F
@pezboytate

There's our gas port diameter

GS5414, can we get you to answer some of the questions in our URG-I thread?

For starters we need the full as-issued parts list (so we can clone them, don't worry I'm not a commie)
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 8:02:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

@pezboytate

For starters we need the full as-issued parts list (so we can clone them, don't worry I'm not a commie)
View Quote
No just a shameless clone trooper. Leave it to you guys to make me not want to use geissele just so I'm not mistaken as one.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 8:05:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
No just a shameless clone trooper. Leave it to you guys to make me not want to use geissele just so I'm not mistaken as one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@pezboytate

No skin off my back, that's your loss.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 8:08:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Its a shame tapco didnt win so you guys could jump through hoops to clone a pile of retard.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 8:12:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Its a shame tapco didnt win so you guys could jump through hoops to clone a pile of retard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya never know. UTG/TAPCO/Radical Firearms SOPMOD block 4 is always a possibility.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 8:16:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
@pezboytate

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

0.076" gas port.

Hope this helps!

S/F
@pezboytate

He's in there now. Where was he posting? Geissele Industry forum?
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 8:21:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

0.076" gas port.

Hope this helps!

S/F
@pezboytate

Just here I think. And a little in Joglee's M27 thread. I tagged him in the URG-I thread right after I tagged you to see the gas port diameter
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 8:22:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Ya never know. UTG/TAPCO/Radical Firearms SOPMOD block 4 is always a possibility.
View Quote
I didnt know SOPMOD had put out a block 3.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 8:26:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's because they didn't. Anyways this is quite the strange pissing match, and I'm out. Feel free to swing your purse in GD though
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 6:06:09 AM EDT
[#35]
I used to get flamed in here for liking 14.5 mid lengths and CHF barrels.

Almost as funny as the Nevertrumpers after Trump got elected.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 9:11:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Hey @GS5414,

What's the approximate cyclic rate of the new guns?

I've been a long time fan of the Colt button rifled 14.5" CAR (0.062") gas guns. I use them with H2 buffers and Springco GREEN carbine action springs with the LMT Enhanced bolt carrier groups. I wonder how big a difference the cyclic rates are between the two. I'm at about 600. I'm tempted to pop an H3 and see what that looks like.

I might have to try a DD barrel. Granted, that means I'll have to get another DD Omega rail. I'll have to get the 9" one.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 6:44:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Hey @GS5414,

What's the approximate cyclic rate of the new guns?

I've been a long time fan of the Colt button rifled 14.5" CAR (0.062") gas guns. I use them with H2 buffers and Springco GREEN carbine action springs with the LMT Enhanced bolt carrier groups. I wonder how big a difference the cyclic rates are between the two. I'm at about 600. I'm tempted to pop an H3 and see what that looks like.

I might have to try a DD barrel. Granted, that means I'll have to get another DD Omega rail. I'll have to get the 9" one.
View Quote
Can you confirm 600 rpm - was that measured with a shot counter or video? That would be fantastic performance.

For reference, Surefire had tested a 14.5" midlength FN and was getting 850rpm.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 7:09:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Might be because every 2 weeks somebody comes on here and says my 14.5 mid wont run on such and such ammo.  So then people get the impression they don't work.  But typically these guys are starting with an H2 buffer.  And didn't know to start with a CAR buffer, some 5.56 pressure ammo, and some lube.  

Although admittedly I've never had a 14.5 mid....  Just a 16".  And it seems overgassed as it is.  I'm thinking if it was cut to 14.5 it would be fine with whatever gas port is in there now and whatever ammo.  But at present I just have a CAR buffer in it.    It has run on a rifle lower, and one time I accidentally had a rifle spring with the car buffer in the lower.  I'm not sure how I did that.  And it ran fine and felt like it didn't have any recoil.    I did change the spring back to a carbine spring once I noticed what I did.  But maybe I should've just left it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 10:11:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Can you confirm 600 rpm - was that measured with a shot counter or video? That would be fantastic performance.

For reference, Surefire had tested a 14.5" midlength FN and was getting 850rpm.
View Quote
Correction, Springco RED spring.

And I'm going based on feel, which is why I said ABOUT 600ish. I'm trying to find a reliable way to measure it now.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 4:10:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Correction, Springco RED spring.

And I'm going based on feel, which is why I said ABOUT 600ish. I'm trying to find a reliable way to measure it now.
View Quote
Awesome, please report back if you get any measurements.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 12:24:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Might be because every 2 weeks somebody comes on here and says my 14.5 mid wont run on such and such ammo.  So then people get the impression they don't work.  But typically these guys are starting with an H2 buffer.  And didn't know to start with a CAR buffer, some 5.56 pressure ammo, and some lube.  

Although admittedly I've never had a 14.5 mid....  Just a 16".  And it seems overgassed as it is.  I'm thinking if it was cut to 14.5 it would be fine with whatever gas port is in there now and whatever ammo.  But at present I just have a CAR buffer in it.    It has run on a rifle lower, and one time I accidentally had a rifle spring with the car buffer in the lower.  I'm not sure how I did that.  And it ran fine and felt like it didn't have any recoil.    I did change the spring back to a carbine spring once I noticed what I did.  But maybe I should've just left it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup I do have alot of buffers from testing.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 12:05:44 AM EDT
[#42]
in for Derpness

urg? like a yourgie? yorkie? your.....

what the eff happened to "upper"? lolz
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 3:10:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
in for Derpness

View Quote
URG-I(Upper Receiver Group - Improved)
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 4:36:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
in for Derpness

View Quote
I like the yourgie nickname
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top