BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 11:44:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a Armalite 16inch middy with a LMT BCG that I got from DSG and I love it.... but it sits on a Spikes lower and I think they make some good stuff.  I've been to Spikes shop and I was really impressed with the way they treated me.  I was only buying a $250 lower but they treated me like I was outfitting a small army.  Just my .02 cents.

Edit: as for the quality of armalite everything is good except for the handguard.
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 12:02:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Spikes....
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 12:07:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Spikes would easily be my first choice out of your options. After that I would go with Stag or Armalite
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 1:21:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Armalite baby!

I have shotten some decent groups with mine even though they claim 1.5-2MOA, lets see if i  can improve that with my FF rails i just installed.
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 1:34:01 PM EDT
[#5]
why not have both? i have spikes complete lower and stags 2ht upper. Best of both world! lol
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 1:51:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd rather stick with manufacturers that have been around for a while and have a proven record for using quality parts and have a set standard. Colt, LMT, BCM.
From your list, I've had best results from Rock River. I do have a Bushmaster I bought in 1999 thats still running just fine.Spikes specs look good but since I don't have one I really don't know.

I fall in this camp as well.  I recall all the days when CMMG was first out and everyone told everyone else to get one.  Now after hearing what bigbore has to say about them glad I held back.

If Spike's plays out with the awesomeness I expect it to over the next few years I'll get one myself.

Until then - BCM, Colt, Noveske and Bushmaster (who some would say is not in the same league, but hard to deny they make a great barrel).

Forget it. CMMG, LMT, RRA, were all awesome a couple of years ago. Now they suck. Spikes and BCM, and maybe even Larue will all suck in a couple of years ––at least to those who learn about guns by reading posts on the internet.

As for the OP, any of the guns you listed are fine, and pretty much all the same. RRA makes excellent products with great quality and accuracy, but if you want a close copy of an A2, you will need to look elsewhere for a Government profile barrel.

As for "the Chart", this is just one more example of how stupid it is to keep referring to it. It turns out the guy wanted an A2. So much for "the Chart".

Link Posted: 5/2/2010 2:10:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd rather stick with manufacturers that have been around for a while and have a proven record for using quality parts and have a set standard. Colt, LMT, BCM.
From your list, I've had best results from Rock River. I do have a Bushmaster I bought in 1999 thats still running just fine.Spikes specs look good but since I don't have one I really don't know.

I fall in this camp as well.  I recall all the days when CMMG was first out and everyone told everyone else to get one.  Now after hearing what bigbore has to say about them glad I held back.

If Spike's plays out with the awesomeness I expect it to over the next few years I'll get one myself.

Until then - BCM, Colt, Noveske and Bushmaster (who some would say is not in the same league, but hard to deny they make a great barrel).

Forget it. CMMG, LMT, RRA, were all awesome a couple of years ago. Now they suck. Spikes and BCM, and maybe even Larue will all suck in a couple of years ––at least to those who learn about guns by reading posts on the internet.

As for the OP, any of the guns you listed are fine, and pretty much all the same. RRA makes excellent products with great quality and accuracy, but if you want a close copy of an A2, you will need to look elsewhere for a Government profile barrel.

As for "the Chart", this is just one more example of how stupid it is to keep referring to it. It turns out the guy wanted an A2. So much for "the Chart".

Thanks for being frank, I greatly appreciate it.  This is exactly what I was looking for.
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 2:18:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except for the Spikes. It's better
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 3:51:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for being frank, I greatly appreciate it.  This is exactly what I was looking for.

Then from your list, Bushmaster.  I have 6 of them (not all factory rifles, but all Bushmaster barrels and 3 or 4 of them complete rifles) and they have all been excellent.
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 4:47:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Armalite baby!
I have shotten some decent groups with mine even though they claim 1.5-2MOA, lets see if i  can improve that with my FF rails i just installed.

Armalite does make good barrels. I can vouch for this.
Here's a target from when I was messing around with some Combined Technology 55gr Silvertips for my 20" Armalite.
And while the best group wasn't a cloverleaf, you can still cover it with a quarter. I'd say that's pretty good for a chrome lined barrel with standard handguards.

(Yes, that's 5 shots)

Link Posted: 5/2/2010 5:01:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually its not stupid at all,  with the chart you get a general idea what specific companies are using pertaining to internals and milspec parts....nobody gives a shit about the specific upper style, the parts are going to be the same. Most of those companies don't even have M4 ramps on their guns....thats minimal but there are other differences. So its actually quite relevant. I'm sure CMMG, LMT and RRA were quite awesome when they came out....maybe they still are but things evolve and guns become more updated.....Guns these days may use materials that were not used even a couple of years ago. The bottom line is this....OP.....figure out what you want to do with the gun, what you want to spend. Look at everything you mentioned...then go to Spikes and get a gun likely for a lot less in cost, a lot higher in quality and a lifetime warranty. The Spikes M4 has virtually everything the Colt 6920 does as listed on the chart for maybe 450.00 less. plus a better warranty.
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 5:47:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually its not stupid at all,  with the chart you get a general idea what specific companies are using pertaining to internals and milspec parts....nobody gives a shit about the specific upper style, the parts are going to be the same. Most of those companies don't even have M4 ramps on their guns....thats minimal but there are other differences. So its actually quite relevant. I'm sure CMMG, LMT and RRA were quite awesome when they came out....maybe they still are but things evolve and guns become more updated.....Guns these days may use materials that were not used even a couple of years ago. The bottom line is this....OP.....figure out what you want to do with the gun, what you want to spend. Look at everything you mentioned...then go to Spikes and get a gun likely for a lot less in cost, a lot higher in quality and a lifetime warranty. The Spikes M4 has virtually everything the Colt 6920 does as listed on the chart for maybe 450.00 less. plus a better warranty.

cmmg,rra,stag,and spikes are all very good fire arms but there are still better quality choices out there ,and yes the 6920 is far superior than the spikes,that's why the military of the greatest nation on earth uses it not to save $400 dollars ,but to defend this country.
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 5:49:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

cmmg,rra,stag,and spikes are all very good fire arms but there are still better quality choices out there ,and yes the 6920 is far superior than the spikes,that's why the military of the greatest nation on earth uses it not to save $400 dollars ,but to defend this country.

That is incorrect. The only difference is that the Colt uses a slightly harder bbl steel. 4150 is hard enough though. When will people learn?
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 6:15:30 PM EDT
[#14]
On paper Spikes is the best.  As an owner of several different brands, I'd still have to say the Armalites are the best finished and make one hell of a shooter, so Armalite.
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 7:08:06 PM EDT
[#15]

There definately are better guns out there but you will pay a significant price to get a moderate improvement in quality. To say something is far superior implies that it is eons ahead.......please support your statement that the 6920 is far superior. Barrel material may be the only difference. Spikes 4150 CHF barrel is no slouch......The Spikes is "far superior in price and warranty", I wanted to use that. So Colt, far superior? Yea No! The nation with the greatest military on earth has a contract with Colt and is not subject to the 400.00+ Pony fee on civilian rifles.
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 5:37:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Our mil doesn't use the 6920.
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 6:54:47 AM EDT
[#17]
SPIKES ,STAG,RRA

Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:46:01 AM EDT
[#18]
spikes
stag/armalite/cmmg
RRA
bushmaster

I have a stag and its great, but spikes is hands down a better gun.  Its basically a colt for the price of a stag+$50.  You get 4150 steel instead of 4140
tested parts
spikes buffer
m4 feed ramps
1/7 twist
m16 carrier
chrome lined gas key(stag might be, i dont know)
correct extractor inserts
double heat shield handguards(stag has one layer top and bottom, IDK if thats double or if double has 2 shield layers)

for $800, DEFINITELY the best buy out there by a long shot.

if you dont get that, get the stag.  I have one and its been 100% reliable with over 2k rounds and pretty accurate(im not good enough to sqeeze everything out of it and just have irons).

armalite is a really good brand too, if you can find a good deal you'll have no regrets.  CMMG is also pretty good, they used to be THE SHIT around here, had some qc issues that i think they overcame, but for some reson their reputation has not.  CMMG has the most choices and if you have a particular setup in mind that is not available other places, it may be the way to go.

RRA right with stag but they cost a lot more
bushmaster is getting into the hit/miss range, they put out a few more lemons than the above brands but also generally cost more.  Most people are more than happy with thier products though.
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:47:44 AM EDT
[#19]
its all your preference.
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:59:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

actually its because spikes wasnt around when the govt made a contract with colt.  can you provide any raw data that supports your claim or just speculation.  All the specs identical other than an improved buffer and an oring in the extractor as far as i know.

edit - what kind of steel does the colt use? i thought it was 4150 but according to an above post, i may be wrong, that would be one more thing different. (not gonna be much though since a lot of people use 4140 withought issue.  Maybe 4150 is more accurate than 4140 and colts is more accurate than 4150 due to harder steel = increased stiffness?  just thinking aloud for speculation.
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 8:57:10 AM EDT
[#21]
I've owned a few of these so I will give my experience with each. They are listed in no particular nut riding order.

Bushmaster - I own a few and have owned others I have sold in the past. One of my Wife's Bushmasters has had about 10k rounds through it, and it has been flawless. I have another where the gas key came loose due to poor staking. The barrels are nice.

Stag - Had one Stag upper. It was screwed up when I received it. They took it back and sent a new upper that ran flawless for years. I recently sold it because I wanted something lighter.

Spikes - I recently bought one of their LE uppers. Haven't shot it yet, but am impressed with the overall fit and finish.

RRA - I have one of their uppers, and it is my favorite rifle. I have shot it a ton and love it. Nothing but good things to say about it.

CMMG - Never owned one of there uppers. But dealing with some of their other crap parts and service, I would not trust them one bit.

Armalite - Never owned one of there uppers.

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 10:20:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

actually its because spikes wasnt around when the govt made a contract with colt.  can you provide any raw data that supports your claim or just speculation.  All the specs identical other than an improved buffer and an oring in the extractor as far as i know.

edit - what kind of steel does the colt use? i thought it was 4150 but according to an above post, i may be wrong, that would be one more thing different. (not gonna be much though since a lot of people use 4140 withought issue.  Maybe 4150 is more accurate than 4140 and colts is more accurate than 4150 due to harder steel = increased stiffness?  just thinking aloud for speculation.

Fields, I beleive Spikes comes with the T2 buffer and an o ring on the extractor...unless you meant that.
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 10:20:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Spikes M4-LE for the win!!!

Opinions are opinions… but by the specs Spikes comes out on top and for less money too.

Carbine or Middy… either way you cant go wrong.

Not that the other rifles that you listed are bad in any way, but you get more for your money with Spikes.
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 10:31:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Sabre Defense
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 10:41:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/AR15-Receiver-t15231.html

Lewis Machine & Tool

* LMT
   * Lauer
   * DS Arms
   * PWA
   * Eagle
   * Armalite
   * Knights Armament
   * Barrett

Continental Machine Tool

* Stag
   * Rock River Arms
   * High Standard
   * Noveske
   * Century (New)
   * Global Tactical
   * CLE
   * S&W
   * MGI
   * Wilson Tactical
   * Grenadier Precision
   * Colt

LAR Manufacturing

* LAR
   * Bushmaster
   * Ameetec
   * DPMS
   * CMMG
   * Double Star
   * Fulton Armory
   * Spike's Tactical

JVP

* Double Star
   * LRB
   * Charles Daly

Mega Machine Shop

* Mega
   * GSE
   * Dalphon
   * POF
   * Alexander Arms

Olympic

* Olympic
   * SGW
   * Tromix
   * Palmetto
   * Dalphon
   * Frankford
   * Century (Old)

Sun Devil

* Sun Devil forged billet receivers

Superior

* Superior Arms
   * Lauer (New)

Aero Precision

* Aero Precision

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––-
The above list contains the machine companies that machine the raw forgings into usable receivers. Each individual company applies their own finishing standards.

MEGA also manufactures components for Spikes, Adams, and Daniel Defense just to add a few of many....
Aero Precision manufactures components for Armalite
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 10:46:42 AM EDT
[#26]
COLT !!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 10:52:38 AM EDT
[#27]
RRA, spikes.
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 11:35:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Of those in your topic heading, the two I'd put at the top are ArmaLite and Spikes. Either would be a great choice, not that the others are bad.
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 3:40:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No they use the 6921 but my upper receiver says m4 just like the military one does , I don't think the spikes has an m4 roll-mark anywhere on it ,
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 4:24:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No they use the 6921 but my upper receiver says m4 just like the military one does , I don't think the spikes has an m4 roll-mark anywhere on it ,

They don't use the 6921 either.
Link Posted: 7/2/2010 11:47:28 PM EDT
[#31]
old post but i think Armalite is the only one of those that makes a A2. Armalite is top notch. the list is out dated and wrong on some things. best for the price to.
Link Posted: 7/3/2010 6:19:21 AM EDT
[#32]
I have a Spikes and it is very nice!

+1 for Spikes
Link Posted: 7/3/2010 6:31:09 AM EDT
[#33]
I like my Armalite and it works quite well.
Link Posted: 7/3/2010 6:40:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/3/2010 6:40:52 AM EDT
[#35]
See above
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top