User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:09:08 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Id love to build the MOD ) but I'm having a hard time justifying the extra stuff. I dont know I might go with my Kiss nightforce rifle posted above or a very nice Mod 0. What exact scope is the right scope for an SPR , or maybe I should say whats the closest to the real deal scope that we can get. the 2.5-8 or the 3x10, i've read conflicting things

Well, if you want a dead nuts clone-it's not hard to justify the extra stuff if that's what's called for. That's why I prefer the Mod1-it's simple. A good barrel and a free float RAS. No need for another rail, etc. like on the Mod0.

As for scopes. The 3-9x36 Leupold MR/T is no longer made and they are now doing a 2.5-8x36. It looks exactly the same. Every military photo of a Mod1 that I have ever seen has had the MR/T scope on it. I'm not saying that they weren't used on Mod0's-it's just that I have never seen them.
Every Mod0 that I have ever seen had the Leupold 3.5-10x40 w/ M3 knobs on it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:07:36 PM EDT
[#2]
My psuedo SAM-R...

Link Posted: 7/23/2008 4:58:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I had to throw another vote in for the SAM-R! I don't know that I would build an exact clone, more of an "inspired by" rig. Partly because KAC parts are too expensive and hard to find and partly because I think you could build a better version of the SAM-R for the same or less money. I guess it depends on if you are building a clone for the sake of having a clone or if you are building it to actually use?

Mod 0's and 1's are cool and all but I think the SAM-R is the most practical (and hence is the sexiest IMO because of that fact). I just don't get the point of the 18" used on the SPR's? I know the thought behind the SPR was an attempt to make something a little lighter and shorter for use with a can so that it can be used up close if\when needed be but I think we would all have to agree that a full loaded Mod 0 or Mod 1 isn't going to be all that much better at that then a SAM-R. On the other hand, there are more then a few Marines in the sand box using SAM-R so it's not like it can't be done with a 20" HBAR. Either way I think if you are looking for a precision build that you can also "run 'n gun" with, I think you would be better off with a RECCE\Recon type build with a 16" mid-weight match grade barrel.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 6:38:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd say that the 18" would still be a good compromise.

The idea of a rifle gassed 18" is that it will behave better with a can than a full 20" unit.  If that's a concern, 18" has that added advantage (in addition to 2" off OAL), and SPR's are generally ran supressed, whereas the SAM-R is typically just the open birdcage up front.

As for the idea of making a 16" Recce style run-gun setup, it does make sense and logically check out, but there aren't any production military versions of that, so that would be a concern.  The 18" (especially a KISS oriented Mod0) would be comparable in weight, while retaining some of the longer range capability of the 20"

If I was in that position, looking for maximum range, my choice would still be a SAM-R impression, but with LaRue rail (or complete stealth upper), and a Leupold LR/T or Nightforce 3.5-15x as the optic.

That said - my rig is a CMMG 18" with TROY MRF-RX rail, UBR stock [right now wearing a cheap Millett scope]
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 7:10:17 AM EDT
[#5]
SAM-R
Link Posted: 7/26/2008 8:55:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/26/2008 9:46:15 AM EDT
[#7]
height=8
Quoted:
SAM-R

+1
Link Posted: 7/27/2008 7:32:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/27/2008 7:48:36 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm seeing alot of non SPR MOD 0 , MOD 1 , SDM-R , SAMR in this thread.
Link Posted: 7/27/2008 10:46:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Jackal, I love your Gun. I hope you dont mind me using your pic. I save great pics on my pc so that I can daydream about them. If I dont build a MOD 0 I'm gonna base my build off of your setup
Link Posted: 7/29/2008 8:49:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top