BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 10:05:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Because the degree to which Colt gives a shit about the civilian market varies from slim to none most of the time.

They make their money off military sales, and that means the M4 Carbine and M16A4, neither of which are mid-lengths.

It's not rocket surgery.
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 10:06:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not true. It's not only about port size and dwell time. The more important factor is the timing, and on that 7" gas length, the gas gets to the carrier too quick, before the brass has fully contracted. That's why the extractor wants to slip off the case rim, and that's why the carbine needs stronger extractor springs and/or inserts to prevent it. That's why you occasionally see broken bolts on carbines, but almost never on a middy or rifle. If you are happy with your carbine and it runs fine, then good for you. But it's not true to state that there is no advantage to a midlength design. It's a design improvement over carbine, whether you want to admit it or not.

None of that has anything to do with Colt's decision not to make it. Colt has always made decisions that didn't seem to make sense (like dropping the Pythons or the Delta Elite 10mm). It's just what they do. They are primarily focused on their military contracts, and civilian sales are an afterthought. As they eventually lose more military contracts, that might change, and we might see more emphasis on civilian sales and a more diverse line-up.

We've seen this several times in Colt's history already so there's no reason to think it will not happen again.  It seems there's something in the water there (Kool-Aid? ) that keeps them from registering that they need to plant the seeds of civilian sales before the military contracts are expired.  How many times have they been in receivership or bankruptcy?  Like Devildog1970 said, it's just what they do.  It's also sad; they became large on us unwashed civilians, one sale at a time.  That government money is sweet-sweet crack, but...

I think the middy gas system has a lot to offer over a carbine system, especially if you are restricted to a 16" barrel.  It's got nearly the same dwell as both a 14.5" carbine or 20" rifle and with lower pressures than the carbine.  It also allows the secret pleasure of a bayonet on a 16" barrel without ugly adaptors.

How many times?  Why don't you tell us since you brought it up.

OK.  Just once now that you goaded me to actually verify my ranting.  Sorry.  Seems like more than that thanks to the gun magazines predicting their eminent demise.  That was chapter 11 in 1992.  In 1994 they were sold.  They've not really been a civilian gunmaker since; concentrating on the M4 contract.

I didn't want to memory hole being wrong though.
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 10:07:28 AM EDT
[#3]
never mind I forgot Colt is a God to be worshipped by some.
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 12:07:04 PM EDT
[#4]
They are a company like any other.  They will do what is profitable and in there best interests.  It doesn't mean they are anti civilian.  Why is it that so many people feel they are owed something by gun companies?
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 1:20:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Instead of a craze, I'd call the middy carbine a branch on the evolutionary tree of the AR. We don't yet know it it's going to survive for the long term, but indications are it will. Like stated right at the top, Colt is not like the other makers accessed by the commercial market because they have been the primary source for our military rifles for over 40 years. They're set up to make government orders, but they make allowances for the commercial side and have several models available. Everybody else (for the most part) has only the commercial market so it's more 'dog-eat-dog' for them, and they will latch onto most anything new to try to sell more guns. I do not believe you will ever see Colt's down in the dirt fighting it out with the many brands of AR makers scrabbling for every sale. I think even if it causes their demise, Colt's will always remain aloof and 'above the fray' to a great extent. This means they will not be incorporating any new development that did not come down from the military or that otherwise has not stood the test of time, although admittedly the mid-length carbine would be a very inexpensive addition to the line. I just don't see them going there until they start getting pressure from government purchasers to offer it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 1:46:30 PM EDT
[#6]
They don't have to, because of people like me who put a middy upper on their 6920 lower.
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 2:08:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Colt seems to put out a very good AR and you cannot fault this product.  They make a fine rifle and probably sell everyone they can make.
I can fault the company however. They always seem to be a day late and a dollar short.
I remember when the "Wondernine" craze hit in the 1980's after the military adopted the M9. Everyone was putting out hi cap 9mm except for Colt. They eventually put out a pistol but it was over priced and not considered that great of a gun for the money. Hi capacity 9mm are still great sellers and most manufacturers continue to make several models. 9mm is the best selling handgun round in America today.
 Then polymer craze hit (and stuck). We've seen how Colt responded to that one.  Almost every other manufacturer is putting out a polymer framed handgun and this has been  a winner for everyone that enjoys combat tupperwear.
For a while it looked like the 10mm  was going to take off permanently and Colt marketed a 10mm on what was basically a .45 frame. The rails cracked on some and it never really became popular.  The. 40 cal became popular (and remains so) around the country with both civilians and law enforcement. Colt doesn't seem to carry this caliber in their lineup. The .45 cartridge is a great defensive round but it seems to be beat by the .40 cal when reading Marshall & Sanow's reports.
.357 Sig. I won't even go there.
They seem to be largely a one trick pony in regards to pistols. I don't see a lot of innovation. I'd rather have a Kimber (and do) than a Colt.
So where is the innovation?
Smart guns.  They seem to be a little too cozy with the government in working towards smart gun technology. Let the first working smart gun hit the market and you WILL see some states ban the sales of new handguns that do not have this technology. For those that don't want to be tied to a working computer chip or battery for their handguns to operate this is not a good evolution.
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 4:13:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The main reason is because Colt builds their guns on the same line as their military rifles.  Unless the military goes midlength, Colt won't bother because it would require setting up a different line and different parts for the midlengths.

Also, IMO midlengths are not as big of an advantage as their fans claim, and Colt knows this.  Lots of people like to talk about dwell time.  Dwell time is far less important than gas port size.  With the proper gas port size, buffer, and carrier weight the dwell time difference is mitigated.  In other words you have to the system tuned for the barrel. Given that Colt does have the system tuned right, the only real advantage to the midlength is increased rail space and sight radius...

Not true. It's not only about port size and dwell time. The more important factor is the timing, and on that 7" gas length, the gas gets to the carrier too quick, before the brass has fully contracted. That's why the extractor wants to slip off the case rim, and that's why the carbine needs stronger extractor springs and/or inserts to prevent it. That's why you occasionally see broken bolts on carbines, but almost never on a middy or rifle. If you are happy with your carbine and it runs fine, then good for you. But it's not true to state that there is no advantage to a midlength design. It's a design improvement over carbine, whether you want to admit it or not.

None of that has anything to do with Colt's decision not to make it. Colt has always made decisions that didn't seem to make sense (like dropping the Pythons or the Delta Elite 10mm). It's just what they do. They are primarily focused on their military contracts, and civilian sales are an afterthought. As they eventually lose more military contracts, that might change, and we might see more emphasis on civilian sales and a more diverse line-up.

colt stopped making the pytthon and delat at the time because no one was buying them. and thats a fact.  a few guys  cry for the 10mm now and they brought  it back. the pythong was mostly hand made and tookj a lot of time. for no one to be buying

there is no sign colt has "lost" and military contracts. in fact they  now have a 126 million dollar contract to make the M240 machine gun.
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 4:21:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Colt seems to put out a very good AR and you cannot fault this product.  They make a fine rifle and probably sell everyone they can make.
I can fault the company however. They always seem to be a day late and a dollar short.
I remember when the "Wondernine" craze hit in the 1980's after the military adopted the M9. Everyone was putting out hi cap 9mm except for Colt. They eventually put out a pistol but it was over priced and not considered that great of a gun for the money. Hi capacity 9mm are still great sellers and most manufacturers continue to make several models. 9mm is the best selling handgun round in America today.
 Then polymer craze hit (and stuck). We've seen how Colt responded to that one.  Almost every other manufacturer is putting out a polymer framed handgun and this has been  a winner for everyone that enjoys combat tupperwear.
For a while it looked like the 10mm  was going to take off permanently and Colt marketed a 10mm on what was basically a .45 frame. The rails cracked on some and it never really became popular.  The. 40 cal became popular (and remains so) around the country with both civilians and law enforcement. Colt doesn't seem to carry this caliber in their lineup. The .45 cartridge is a great defensive round but it seems to be beat by the .40 cal when reading Marshall & Sanow's reports.
They seem to be largely a one trick pony in regards to pistols. I don't see a lot of innovation. I'd rather have a Kimber (and do) than a Colt.
Smart guns.  They seem to be a little too cozy with the government in working towards smart gun technology. Let the first working smart gun hit the market and you WILL see some states ban the sales of new handguns that do not have this technology. For those that don't want to be tied to a working computer chip or battery for their handguns to operate this is not a good evolution.

smart gun?    that shit was ended long ago

the 1911 seems to be doing fine   and I doubt  they have many left in the old warehouse,    even if they do at least they are forged  and not loaded down with MIM parts and  asinine external extractors  or made in Brazil

a lot of R&D is spent  improving on what the mlilitary needs/wants for them to be testing the waters during  a global war , try to make guns that may or may not sell. while the 1911  is 100 years old and still selling fine

colts concern is to fill gov orders for guys that need it,  thats just the way it is.   if some think they need a pretty   gun made to just their specific tastes more then some soldier needs his rifle, then    they just need help. and that goes for any company making guns for our troops
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 5:20:07 PM EDT
[#10]

As the wars wind down and Gov contracts dwindle, they are going to have to rely more and more on their civilian sector sales for revenue.

Don't worry- Colt is getting a fresh M240 contract in addition to the IAR.
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 5:45:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The main reason is because Colt builds their guns on the same line as their military rifles.  Unless the military goes midlength, Colt won't bother because it would require setting up a different line and different parts for the midlengths.

Also, IMO midlengths are not as big of an advantage as their fans claim, and Colt knows this.  Lots of people like to talk about dwell time.  Dwell time is far less important than gas port size.  With the proper gas port size, buffer, and carrier weight the dwell time difference is mitigated.  In other words you have to the system tuned for the barrel. Given that Colt does have the system tuned right, the only real advantage to the midlength is increased rail space and sight radius...

colt stopped making the pytthon and delat at the time because no one was buying them. and thats a fact.  a few guys  cry for the 10mm now and they brought  it back. the pythong was mostly hand made and tookj a lot of time. for no one to be buying

there is no sign colt has "lost" and military contracts. in fact they  now have a 126 million dollar contract to make the M240 machine gun.

Maybe I shouldn't have said "as they lose contracts". How about "when the contracts expire"? Besides the M16 contracts that have gone to FN (and more could go to other companies in the future), eventually the M16/M4 will be replaced, and there is a very good chance that the replacement won't come from Colt.
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 6:37:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe I shouldn't have said "as they lose contracts". How about "when the contracts expire"? Besides the M16 contracts that have gone to FN (and more could go to other companies in the future), eventually the M16/M4 will be replaced, and there is a very good chance that the replacement won't come from Colt.

very true

though colt provides M16s to over 90 countries  and thats not likely to change anytime soon.     a loss of some M16A4 contratcs and such wont hurt them as bad as many think
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 6:37:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

As the wars wind down and Gov contracts dwindle, they are going to have to rely more and more on their civilian sector sales for revenue.

Don't worry- Colt is getting a fresh M240 contract in addition to the IAR.

colt is not making the US  IAR  HK won that one

though the colt IAR is   being sold in the international market to other armies
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 6:45:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Because they can't get permission from the union to make them.
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 6:58:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Middies mainly sell to us "in the know" internet types.

That being said, my carbine length 6920 has never had any issues.

I still believe the 6920 is probably the "Glock 17" of out-of-the box, complete rifles.  It's a no-worry, even if it ain't pretty.

I ALWAYS recommend a 6920 for a first AR.

BTW I've never personally met someone that has a bayonet for an AR that actually plans on using it, or has trained with it (.mil buddies non-withstanding.)
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 7:26:52 PM EDT
[#16]
The purpose of my bayonet (well the lug anyway) is to tick off the anti-gunners.  I don't know how to use one because we didn't learn that at armor school.
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 8:31:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Can anyone provide links or info sources about Colt getting M240 Contracts please ?
Link Posted: 6/14/2010 4:25:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Colt makes Kool-aid, Colt doesn't drink Kool-aid.

Goddamn.... I will reuse that phrase.

I am a confirmed addict of Colt Kool-Aid
Link Posted: 6/14/2010 5:12:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Can anyone provide links or info sources about Colt getting M240 Contracts please ?

seemed pretty easy to find

http://www.defensereview.com/colt-defense-wins-126-million-126m-contract-to-produce-m240b-machine-gun-mmg-for-us-army/

and to add

"In related news, Colt Defense was also awarded a five year IDIQ contract to supply short barrels for the M249. The first delivery order was for 14,000 barrels, and over the life of the contract, up to 90,000 barrels may be purchased."
Link Posted: 6/14/2010 8:32:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The purpose of my bayonet (well the lug anyway) is to tick off the anti-gunners.  I don't know how to use one because we didn't learn that at armor school.

Antigunners wouldn't even know what one looks like or is.  This includes the people who "wrote" the bill.
Link Posted: 6/14/2010 10:14:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

the 1911 seems to be doing fine   and I doubt  they have many left in the old warehouse,    even if they do at least they are forged  and not loaded down with MIM parts and  asinine external extractors  or made in Brazil

a lot of R&D is spent  improving on what the mlilitary needs/wants for them to be testing the waters during  a global war , try to make guns that may or may not sell. while the 1911  is 100 years old and still selling fine

colts concern is to fill gov orders for guys that need it,  thats just the way it is.   if some think they need a pretty   gun made to just their specific tastes more then some soldier needs his rifle, then    they just need help. and that goes for any company making guns for our troops

A lack of inovation is not a sound business policy.
Link Posted: 6/14/2010 10:45:57 AM EDT
[#22]
What lack of innovation?  They may lack a "flavor of the month" mentality, but what, other than innovation do you call the 1040 / 6940, IAR, SCW, APC, the New Agent, ect.  

Not to mention they re-released the 10mm Delta Elite and 1918 reproduction, added the Rail Gun and built the 6720 for Clyde Armory.  Just because they don't make anything *you* want doesn't mean they're not innovating.  There are plenty of innovative companies that make nothing at all that I'm interested in, like LWRC, I've followed them over the years and they've made some great guns and great strides, but I'm a DI guy, LWRC doesn't make anything I want to buy yet.  Now, make me a DI gun in MRE?  Hey now, I might be interested, should I accuse them of not innovating into the market because they haven't followed a development path I want them to?  

As for poly-wunderguns, Colt's not set up to make 'em, simple as that.  The 1911 sells well, they're still considered the leader in production 1911s, while other companies either developed around or are fully set up to build polymer framed pistols, a gun company doesn't need to strive to be the best at everything, or even need to try and enter every market.  All the 1911 clone makers should take heed there.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 6/14/2010 10:54:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Colt still sells guns to civilians???
Link Posted: 6/14/2010 1:01:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Colt still sells guns to civilians???

Yes they do!

Link Posted: 6/14/2010 1:12:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep no innovation here

Link Posted: 6/14/2010 2:48:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep no innovation here

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll294/shawnmt6601/colt%20signs/4.jpg

Cool.....a flat top M4. No one has ever seen that before. Stop the presses.
Link Posted: 6/14/2010 2:51:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

colts concern is to fill gov orders for guys that need it,  thats just the way it is.   if some think they need a pretty   gun made to just their specific tastes more then some soldier needs his rifle, then    they just need help . and that goes for any company making guns for our troops

yep no innovation here

FAIL, did you bother to even LOOK at it?
Link Posted: 6/14/2010 2:58:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Because they are snobs.
Link Posted: 6/14/2010 3:07:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep no innovation here

wow good catch  zatoichi

start reading posts newb and stop trying to be the 1st guy with a witty comment

you may learn something
Link Posted: 6/14/2010 3:12:31 PM EDT
[#31]
If Colt made a middy, I'd probably by another Larue.
Link Posted: 6/14/2010 3:46:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep no innovation here

Please be so kind as to tell me what that 7.62 is...  Thanks!

Link Posted: 6/14/2010 3:51:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep no innovation here

hells yeah.  and please tell us we'll be able to buy one!
Link Posted: 6/14/2010 5:00:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.defensereview.com/colt-defense-wins-126-million-126m-contract-to-produce-m240b-machine-gun-mmg-for-us-army/

and to add

"In related news, Colt Defense was also awarded a five year IDIQ contract to supply short barrels for the M249. The first delivery order was for 14,000 barrels, and over the life of the contract, up to 90,000 barrels may be purchased."

Interesting, I'd like to handle one and see how well it compares to an FN m240. Since the m240 is an FNH creation, does Colt pay royalties to FN?

Link Posted: 6/14/2010 5:02:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep no innovation here

Appears to be a modular, caliber changeable monolithic upper receiver weapon.

Link Posted: 6/14/2010 5:10:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

and to add

Interesting, I'd like to handle one and see how well it compares to an FN m240. Since the m240 is an FNH creation, does Colt pay royalties to FN?

It will compare EXACTLY the same because it will be made with FNs TDP and be followed to a T.  Much in the same way FNs M16s are built exactly to Colt spec using the Colt M16 TDP.

The royalties probably work in a similar fashion as the M16.  I'm pretty sure the US government pays the royalties to the company that owns the rights and then can source production to whoever wins the contract award.
Link Posted: 6/14/2010 5:13:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
A lack of innovation is not a sound business policy.

Do you know anything about anything having to do with this topic or do you just like to waste bandwidth?

Just remeber, Colt is one of the very few gun comapnies that actually spends money on R&D.
Link Posted: 6/14/2010 5:14:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If Colt made a middy, I'd probably by another Larue.

Who cares.
Link Posted: 6/14/2010 5:16:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep no innovation here

I'll bite, even though you are wrong on what you are looking at.

Even if it was just a flat top M4, you know why you have seen those before, right?  I'll give you a hint, they came from a West Hartford company's extensive R&D programs.  The type of programs that most commercial grade comapnies sit around and wait to reverse engineer (looking to cut corners whenever possible.)
Link Posted: 6/14/2010 5:33:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep no innovation here

info here
Link Posted: 6/14/2010 5:41:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Military and public ignorance is the reason you don't see more middys.
Link Posted: 6/14/2010 5:48:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep no innovation here

info here

Thanks!

Link Posted: 6/16/2010 11:49:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Those were some really great examples of Colt inovation.  Monolithic uppers, .308 caliber AR platforms and a host of other stuff we've seen throughout the industry for quite a while.  So what are they doing new that a host of other manufacturers haven't already done?
I like Colt. I'm not a koolaid drinking little fanboy like some and my self esteem is not tied up with what brands I purchase but I actually do like Colt and wish them continued success. I always root for American brands and hate seeing US emloyers lose sales and cut workers. I hope they eventually prepare for the future because resting on your laurels doesn't keep the doors open and the customers coming back. Eventually the military will drop the M4 and possibly the 5.56mm cartridge. It won't be this year or the next. It may be a decade from now but it's going to happen. Our country is broke, our military is broke and we don't currently have the money for an entirely new infantry weapon and all of the costs associated with a changeover. This is good news for Colt but the gravy train will eventually come to an end.   Colt had better prepare for the future because a lot of civilian sales follow whatever the military is using.
Link Posted: 6/16/2010 7:02:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Those were some really great examples of Colt inovation.  Monolithic uppers, .308 caliber AR platforms and a host of other stuff we've seen throughout the industry for quite a while.  So what are they doing new that a host of other manufacturers haven't already done?
I like Colt. I'm not a koolaid drinking little fanboy like some and my self esteem is not tied up with what brands I purchase but I actually do like Colt and wish them continued success. I always root for American brands and hate seeing US emloyers lose sales and cut workers. I hope they eventually prepare for the future because resting on your laurels doesn't keep the doors open and the customers coming back. Eventually the military will drop the M4 and possibly the 5.56mm cartridge. It won't be this year or the next. It may be a decade from now but it's going to happen. Our country is broke, our military is broke and we don't currently have the money for an entirely new infantry weapon and all of the costs associated with a changeover. This is good news for Colt but the gravy train will eventually come to an end.   Colt had better prepare for the future because a lot of civilian sales follow whatever the military is using.

yup.  if the mil ever changes to something other then the M16 FOW then  that will be the next  big EBR

likely it will cost 3 times as much though and the 90 countries colt sells M16s to will likely still  buy M16s. and colt will always sell.  they  squeaked by a long time on a few models adn made it.   but now they have  stuff in the works  we havent even heard of.
a colt exec stated just a few months go  colt would have a 308  rifl. out   in the near future

and I tihnk when the colt tactical line kicks off, they will do some brisk civilian sells.  luckily the CT line will be CA legal to own.   To me the only thing that sometimes hurts them. is they do all the R&D, and take forever to get it just right, then ever bubba with a machine shop copies it in a half assed way and   doesnt have to recover all that R&D cost
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top