Warning

 

Close
Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Cancel Confirm
AR15.COM
AR Sponsor
12/12/2022 8:42:40 PM EDT
I already have 22LR, 5.56, 300BO, 6.5G and 308 AR’s, but I’m considering a 300 HAM’R too.

Who’s got one?  Is it worth the trouble?
12/13/2022 7:15:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I really like mine.
12/13/2022 7:20:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I already have 22LR, 5.56, 300BO, 6.5G and 308 AR’s, but I’m considering a 300 HAM’R too.

Who’s got one?  Is it worth the trouble?
View Quote


Is there something specifically you need (or want) to do that the HAMR will do?
12/13/2022 11:03:13 AM EDT
[#3]
At the moment I have 4 AR's (I had five until I gave my grandson one last week.) and 2 bolt guns in the 300 HAM'R.  Three of us used the HAM'R to hunt deer on my property the past three weeks.  The results were 3 8pt., 1 6pt. and 1 10pt.  Not a single deer went more than 20 yards after being hit.  Each rifle will shoot MOA all day long.

I consider it the ideal hunting rifle out to 250 yards (but I have a self-imposed limit of 200 yards on any game animal)  In the past two years I have taken deer, hogs, black bear, and coyotes.
The only complaints I have ever heard about this cartridge has been from people who do not own one. The only change from a standard 5.56 AR is the barrel, and I use magazines designed for the 300 BO.
The recoil is very mild.

There is no special tricks to reloading for it and there are more than 30 different .308 caliber bullets suitable.  To date I have loaded over 10,000 rounds for this cartridge since it is my #1 defensive round.
If you want a subsonic round use the Blackout.  If you want a short 8" barrel, buy a handgun!  If you want an all-round everyday weapon the 300 HAM'R is a good choice.
12/13/2022 1:11:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quote History
Quoted:


Is there something specifically you need (or want) to do that the HAMR will do?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
I already have 22LR, 5.56, 300BO, 6.5G and 308 AR’s, but I’m considering a 300 HAM’R too.

Who’s got one?  Is it worth the trouble?


Is there something specifically you need (or want) to do that the HAMR will do?


Not really, it would be just another hammer ?? in the toolbox of guns I own and a new round to reload.
12/13/2022 6:01:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quote History
Quoted:


Not really, it would be just another hammer ?? in the toolbox of guns I own and a new round to reload.
View Quote


Gotcha.  Nothing wrong or right with that.

A few years ago, I went on a caliber purge and consolidated my calibers to just a few.  I ask myself what does this do better, and why do I care before buying anything firearm related, especially when it come to a caliber I do not currently own.

However, just wanting something is fine too.
12/13/2022 6:07:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quote History
Quoted:
At the moment I have 4 AR's (I had five until I gave my grandson one last week.) and 2 bolt guns in the 300 HAM'R.  Three of us used the HAM'R to hunt deer on my property the past three weeks.  The results were 3 8pt., 1 6pt. and 1 10pt.  Not a single deer went more than 20 yards after being hit.  Each rifle will shoot MOA all day long.

I consider it the ideal hunting rifle out to 250 yards (but I have a self-imposed limit of 200 yards on any game animal)  In the past two years I have taken deer, hogs, black bear, and coyotes.
The only complaints I have ever heard about this cartridge has been from people who do not own one. The only change from a standard 5.56 AR is the barrel, and I use magazines designed for the 300 BO.
The recoil is very mild.

There is no special tricks to reloading for it and there are more than 30 different .308 caliber bullets suitable.  To date I have loaded over 10,000 rounds for this cartridge since it is my #1 defensive round.
If you want a subsonic round use the Blackout.  If you want a short 8" barrel, buy a handgun!  If you want an all-round everyday weapon the 300 HAM'R is a good choice.
View Quote
I'm interested in it for all those reasons.  I haven't jumped in yet.  However as a reloader with a lot of once fired 556 brass, it makes a lot of sense for me.
12/13/2022 6:35:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quote History
Quoted:


Gotcha.  Nothing wrong or right with that.

A few years ago, I went on a caliber purge and consolidated my calibers to just a few.  I ask myself what does this do better, and why do I care before buying anything firearm related, especially when it come to a caliber I do not currently own.

However, just wanting something is fine too.
View Quote


I’ve done the purge before as well, then I’ll jump in the BRD hole again ?????.  Thought of getting rid of my Grendel but I’m probably too deep into it without losing money.  I probably should concentrate on finishing my 64 F100 project first, restomods are another money pit of mine
12/14/2022 9:15:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I get 1 moa (5 shot groups) with Speer 125 TNTs and 3/4 moa with 110 Sierra HP and Hornady 125 SSTs (you have to trim the tip to load in a magazine)

Also have started to use these for plinking.

https://accuraoutdoors.com/product/308-120-sp/

get around 1.5moa.

only negative is the limited powder for AR use. Only three options, with CFE BLK the main one to use.

https://www.wilsoncombat.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/300-HAMR-LOAD-DATA-3-22.pdf
12/14/2022 3:06:29 PM EDT
[#9]
The ballistics are excellent, only downside is ammo availability.
12/23/2022 1:08:06 AM EDT
[#10]
I’ve had this running through my head too.  Having a 308 covers anything the hamr could do and then some.  

The only thing the hamr has got on a 308 ar is weighing a couple pounds less.

But if you want a toy and have the resources, have at it!!

I’m sticking with my stag 10, hasn’t let me down.
12/23/2022 11:54:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quote History
Quoted:
I’ve had this running through my head too.  Having a 308 covers anything the hamr could do and then some.  

The only thing the hamr has got on a 308 ar is weighing a couple pounds less.

But if you want a toy and have the resources, have at it!!

I’m sticking with my stag 10, hasn’t let me down.
View Quote

Ruger SFAR and POF series drop the weight difference to under a pound. And the Ruger (if you can find one) is very reasonably priced.

Sign up to continue the discussion

Create a free account to share your thoughts, follow topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.

Already a member? Sign In

AR Sponsor