Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/15/2024 11:06:27 AM EDT
Has anyone tried doing this.  I've seen some discussion of the topic but never seen anyone who's actually done it.  With advancements in technology, are they printing uppers/lowers strong enough to be used in anything other than a .22?  

I'm curious because if you can, I may invest in a printer and appropriate material and start making my own.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 11:24:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I would say that unless you are seriously looking to get into 3D printing, and have other 3D projects in mind, printed AR receivers and printed pistols are not durable, and are not worth the time/expense/effort.    

I would look into a small CNC machine for 80% aluminum receivers.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 11:27:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 11:49:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By M4BlackRifle:
I would say that unless you are seriously looking to get into 3D printing, and have other 3D projects in mind, printed AR receivers and printed pistols are not durable, and are not worth the time/expense/effort.    

I would look into a small CNC machine for 80% aluminum receivers.
View Quote

I tend to agree.  From what I have gathered 3D printers are limited somewhat in the materials they can work with.  I won't trust a proper poly lower that was molded/milled from proper stock.

Get a Ghost Gunner or similar unit and make something that will last.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 10:23:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bionicmonkey] [#4]
Have made shit tons of 3d printed guns and there is a certain value to being able to come up with a thought and make it real - like the mac n cheese (not my design but a great example) - why not have a mac 11 upper an AR FCG and glock mags.. voila..  but a printed gun while novel is never as strong as a molded frame or a metal frame.

For AR's the best path is a mini mill and 80% or ghost gunner cnc.  The buffer tower is an inherently weak area of the design, which can be overcome by a 1 piece frame and stock vs a milspec conforming frame.

For glock pistols a 5 layer design 3d printed can be pretty good -ive got frames with 400+ rounds... but 3d printing is its own rabbit hole..

Link Posted: 6/15/2024 10:35:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Uppers? The idea scares me unless it's .22LR.

Lowers? This might be better, or 3D print a beefed up receiver designed to be made of plastic and cast a mold from that.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 10:43:49 AM EDT
[#6]
You all seem to be assuming plastic.

You know you can 3-D print aluminum.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 11:35:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By lysanderxiii:

View Quote

OP appears to asking about plastic, or there wouldn't be a concern.

CNC is a 3-D printer.  Just costs a lot more
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 12:12:29 PM EDT
[#8]
There are some designs that are overbuilt to address durability concerns, and seem to hold up fairly well.

One would be the Hoffman Orca:

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 1:00:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lysanderxiii] [#9]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

OP appears to asking about plastic, or there wouldn't be a concern.

CNC is a 3-D printer.  Just costs a lot more
View Quote

When one says "3-D printing", one is talking about additive manufacturing, not subtractive manufacturing (aka machining).

3D Printing ALUMINUM FAST! EOS at Formnext 2023!

3D Printed Aluminum Intake Manifold - Laser Melting Process
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 2:46:32 PM EDT
[#10]

When one says "3-D printing", one is talking about additive manufacturing, not subtractive manufacturing (aka machining).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoCPu0hjOiM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUp3oCGZOzk
View Quote

Cool tech.  But, is it practical?  I mean practical for dudes like me who aren't "manufacturers"?
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 3:17:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

Cool tech.  But, is it practical?  I mean practical for dudes like me who aren't "manufacturers"?
View Quote

If not today, shortly.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 4:02:21 PM EDT
[#12]
From a cost, practicality, and durability viewpoint, it is a pointless endeavor in my opinion.  Interesting, but pointless.   I can knock out an 80% lower in a couple hours on a manual Bridgeport.

I guy I know just bought a Genmitsu CNC Router Machine PROVerXL 4030 V2 that should do the job.

I also don't own plastic AR magazines.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 11:06:21 PM EDT
[#13]
3d printing with metals can be expensive.  A used CNC mill is probably less than most metal printers.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 7:45:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Moondog:
3d printing with metals can be expensive.  A used CNC mill is probably less than most metal printers.
View Quote

For now . . .
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 9:22:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Look on reddit. I couldn't tell you even what the sub is, but that's where you're going to find this stuff as far as I know
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 1:47:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bionicmonkey] [#16]
Originally Posted By D_Man:
There are some designs that are overbuilt to address durability concerns, and seem to hold up fairly well.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/157876/orca1-3242678.png
View Quote

Would disagree.  Orca is probably the best 3d printed (polymer) design but it is still limited severely by that fact.  It is still not even close to comparable to a milled frame gun with a ultra cheap commercial upper.  For example the system will melt after too many shots rapid fire and that lets the barrel droop and eventually causes malfunctions and total failure.

If there was a tier system where Daniel defense went in tier 1 then there would be normal tier and then budget tier like anderson and then these would go below that in shit tier.  No disrespect to hoffman - he is doing the lord's work but the limits of plastic are real.  

3d printing metal is super expensive

.22 3d printing sure..

For battle rifles.  Milling is the answer.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 1:51:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By bionicmonkey:

Would disagree.  Orca is probably the best 3d printed (polymer) design but it is still limited severely by that fact.  It is still not even close to comparable to a milled frame gun with a ultra cheap commercial upper.  If there was a tier system where Daniel defense went in tier 1 then there would be normal tier and then budget tier like anderson and then these would go below that in shit tier.  No disrespect to hoffman - he is doing the lord's work but the limits of plastic are real.  

View Quote
No disagreement at all, these are nowhere near milled Al receivers.

My statement of being "overbuilt" was in comparison to taking the size and shape of a standard mispec receiver set and simply translating that design 1:1 to a 3D printed plastic.
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 12:07:47 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

And titanium.
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 2:18:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By IowaFox:

And titanium.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

And titanium.

...but at costs that make just buying a Daniel Defense the much cheaper option.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 5:05:41 PM EDT
[#20]

And titanium.
View Quote

Something about needing an electron beam and the equipment to do this kind of put it out of reach for average Joe for the foreseeable future.  Plus material cost maybe it is not going to be as easy as Aluminium or plastics.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 6:36:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kychas] [#21]
3D printing a carbon fiber left side and right form for a AR15 lower that can be put together like an Calvary arms lower
The left/ right side form could be clam shelled so the CF is put in there wet and it is closed and clamped to create a perfect inside and outside with even markings so just fill with paint, pins so the CF would have holes so drilling would eliminated
Then epoxy the sides together and it is done
I never had a cavlery arms lower but I have heard good stuff about them. So I believe a CF version would be stronger than plastic
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 7:21:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By kychas:
3D printing a carbon fiber left side and right form for a AR15 lower that can be put together like an Calvary arms lower
The left/ right side form could be clam shelled so the CF is put in there wet and it is closed and clamped to create a perfect inside and outside with even markings so just fill with paint, pins so the CF would have holes so drilling would eliminated
Then epoxy the sides together and it is done
I never had a cavlery arms lower but I have heard good stuff about them. So I believe a CF version would be stronger than plastic
View Quote

Sounds neat.  Have you ever done any of those things?
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 4:53:05 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a 3D printer and I printed a magazine clamp using PETG filament (with 100% infill). The first time I dropped the magazines, the clamp broke quite easily. It could be argued that I may have to tweak my settings so I get better adhesion from layer to layer, but I'm not confident at all in plastic filaments when it comes to building firearms. There are lots of videos showing 3D printed firearms fly apart. I suspect people do it just out of curiosity and to stimulate other's curiosity so that the technology will become improved.

I've printed trigger guards which appear to be plenty tough, but I still prefer a real trigger guard. I've printed some index clips and ladder rails, but they suck in comparison to the real thing.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 8:19:41 AM EDT
[#24]
I can understand printing LOTS of lowers with 10% infill, 0.1mm walls.  Especially if you live in a city/county/state that likes buy backs. I figure to get $100 per lower that cost about $8.00 to print.  Win/Win for everyone!
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 9:20:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By VinceU1:
I can understand printing LOTS of lowers with 10% infill, 0.1mm walls.  Especially if you live in a city/county/state that likes buy backs. I figure to get $100 per lower that cost about $8.00 to print.  Win/Win for everyone!
View Quote

Man, I miss the PD buy backs.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 9:27:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By M4BlackRifle:
From a cost, practicality, and durability viewpoint, it is a pointless endeavor in my opinion.  Interesting, but pointless.   I can knock out an 80% lower in a couple hours on a manual Bridgeport.

I guy I know just bought a Genmitsu CNC Router Machine PROVerXL 4030 V2 that should do the job.

I also don't own plastic AR magazines.
View Quote

A couple of hours? Doesn’t take an hour on my manual Bridgeport.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 5:58:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By HELOBRAVO:

A couple of hours? Doesn’t take an hour on my manual Bridgeport.
View Quote

I am a few years from retirement, even getting out of bed takes longer than it used to.
Link Posted: 7/4/2024 7:08:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By VinceU1:
View Quote

Last time I saw a buyback advertised the PD was paying for "complete" firearms.  It might be faster to assemble a slam fire shotgun and affix the barrel to a 2x4 with a hose clamp than to print a lower.
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 8:05:35 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a few mills and a few printers.  While very different, I enjoy both aspects of the builds. That said, other than a few odd scenarios, making your own is not the cheaper, and typically not the better option regardless of methods.  We do it for the process, not the result.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 11:18:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 11:20:19 AM EDT
[#31]
3dp lowers? Very much been done before, OP sounds like you know about them

3dp uppers for more than rimfire? Been done before; Hoffman's Orca, FOSSCAD's 'Animal Farm' for .308, and some AWCY? projects come to mind as prominent examples...

Hybrid 3dp uppers? Also been done before...check out a former firearms engineer's take on ATI's hybrid polymer upper but for .308...use a printed or crudely cut-out tube-style insert for the upper to hold the barrel and nut, and a clamshell-style polymer piece that clasps to the tube to make a very capable and lightweight upper...

in the 2020s, literally anything is possible when it comes to this stuff...
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 11:28:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By D_Man:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/157876/orca1-3242678.png
View Quote

Reminds me of something Beretta/Benelli would make.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top