Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/14/2024 5:26:00 PM EDT
I'm finding conflicting info on a twist rate for heavy 395 gr bullets. The common twist is 1:24. The 458 is 1:14.
I've only found one barrel with a 1:14 twist and it's not cheap.
458 ammo cost is out of the question. Today's reloading component cost makes it hardly cheaper.

Should I just do an 8.6 bo instead?
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 11:28:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: s4s4u] [#1]
Originally Posted By Batass:
I'm finding conflicting info on a twist rate for heavy 395 gr bullets. The common twist is 1:24. The 458 is 1:14.
I've only found one barrel with a 1:14 twist and it's not cheap.
458 ammo cost is out of the question. Today's reloading component cost makes it hardly cheaper.

Should I just do an 8.6 bo instead?
View Quote

FWIW, assuming the Hornady Sub-X

No need for any faster than a 24 twist.
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 5:22:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Batass] [#2]
Well, unfortunately I'm getting keyholing out of my 16", so I'm only assuming it wouldn't be better in a 10"

Yes the hornady sub-x
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 6:40:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Well, unfortunately I'm getting keyholing out of my 16", so I'm only assuming it wouldn't be better in a 10"
View Quote

Probably not.  That twist calculator doesn't account for the balance of the bullet.  You need more twist if the front end is light and back end is heavy.
I'm guessing that SubX has a huge hollow cavity in the front and heavy solid back end?????
And if you're running a suppressor, the twist calculator doesn't account for the turbulence created by the can.  You need more twist for that as well.

Tony

Link Posted: 7/15/2024 7:31:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: s4s4u] [#4]
View Quote

Velocity?  

With, or without, a can attached?  

Link Posted: 7/16/2024 7:28:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Without
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 9:37:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Without
View Quote

Is good that you checked without a muzzle device attached.  Without knowing the velocity it is hard to estimate the stability.  I handload and everything takes a trip across the chrono so there are no surprises.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top