Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2017 11:38:52 AM EDT
So I’m thinking about putting together a good deer rifle, even though I have zero experience with the .450 BM cartridge.

Looking for an 16” or 18” mid-length barrel.
LIBERTY BARRELS® Button Rifled barrel

Hand guard: Undecided, but I want light and durable.

Gas system: planning on an adjustable low pro gas block for the mid-length system.

Buffer: planning on using a standard carbine tube and buffer.  I have read of guys going with heaveier buffers and then weighting the bcg, I’m not sure the full benifits are worth it.

Still advice and experience is needed.  This is my first scratch build and first experience with the .450 Bushmaster round.

Thanks

J
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 3:12:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I would check out Tromix for barrels, parts or anything really. I am in the same boat as you but decided to go with .458 SOCOM for Florida hog hunts. I too live in Ohio and was going back and forth with deciding on 450 or 458, but I just do not do much deer gun hunting (prefer bow). But, Tromix has you covered with 450 as well.

http://www.tromix.com/450-bushmaster-parts.html
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 3:41:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would check out Tromix for barrels, parts or anything really. I am in the same boat as you but decided to go with .458 SOCOM for Florida hog hunts. I too live in Ohio and was going back and forth with deciding on 450 or 458, but I just do not do much deer gun hunting (prefer bow). But, Tromix has you covered with 450 as well.

http://www.tromix.com/450-bushmaster-parts.html
View Quote
Thanks and I have been poking around their website already.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 7:56:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I have an APF 450 Bushmaster 14.5" Pistol. I took a doe with it this year she ran about 60 yds and dropped. Does Ohio have the straigjt wall cartridge deer hunting rule? The 450 Bushmaster is perfect for that ruling. I wish MN where I hunt would change their rules too. The 458 Socom will not work as it is a necked cartridge.  I also chose the 450 Bushmaster because ammo is cheaper to buy, commercially available and carried by most Gun Shops amd Big box gun stores.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 10:01:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Does Ohio have the straigjt wall cartridge deer hunting rule.
View Quote
Yes, we have been able to use some straight walled cartridge rifles for a few years.  They expanded the list to any straight walled rifle between .357 and .50 cal this year. There is a cartrigde length range it must fall into, the 45/70 and .450 BM are good.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 4:34:34 PM EDT
[#5]

I have been running (2) 450’s for years now.  Great deer gun and outstanding on pigs.
Bushmaster w/ 16” barrel.  Full muzzle break, enhanced JP buffer spring, trigger job, and 4 ounces of lead added to the carrier to reduce lock time.  My 10 year old shot the gun at the time.
Above video is my 12 yr old.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 4:55:07 PM EDT
[#6]
My wife got my build started today. She gave me a stripped big bore upper for Christmas.  Now comes the sourcing the rest of my parts.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 6:22:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yes, we have been able to use some straight walled cartridge rifles for a few years.  They expanded the list to any straight walled rifle between .357 and .50 cal this year. There is a cartrigde length range it must fall into, the 45/70 and .450 BM are good.
View Quote
I have heard the length limit before but have never seen anything official.  Do you know where I can find more info?  I want to build a 45 Raptor, AFAIK, it's GTG.

This is straight from the DNR:
Straight-walled cartridge rifles in the following calibers: New this year! All straight-walled cartridge calibers from a minimum of .357 to a maximum of .50. Shotguns and straight-walled cartridge rifles can be loaded with no more than three shells in the chamber and magazine combined.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 10:38:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I have heard the length limit before but have never seen anything official.  Do you know where I can find more info?  I want to build a 45 Raptor, AFAIK, it's GTG.
View Quote
Good question.  I thought I read that in a news release last summer, but I can’t find that requirement anywhere now.  That doesn’t really sway me away from the .450 BM but it’s good to know.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 11:05:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Good question.  I thought I read that in a news release last summer, but I can’t find that requirement anywhere now.  That doesn’t really sway me away from the .450 BM but it’s good to know.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a case length limit in Michigan. Other states may only allow approved calibers.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 12:31:12 AM EDT
[#10]
I remember another thread, maybe here, where guys were hunting Ohio with 458 win mags.  I'm still searching for OAL limits, but haven't found anything yet.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 10:27:54 AM EDT
[#11]
No OAL case limit for Ohio. Just minimum diameter (.357), and straight wall case. So yes 458 Win Mag or Lott is legal. Ohio went from specific straight case calibers to any straight case to simplify the rules. Although I doubt many hunted this year with a 458.

And to clarify Mag capacity, in a rifle only 3 total in gun, no plug required. In "pistol" it's whatever they hold. The pistol Mag has no limits.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 12:08:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I’m gonna update the OP since my build has moved from dreaming phase to planning and buying.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 1:07:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I’m gonna update the OP since my build has moved from dreaming phase to planning and buying.
View Quote
Subbed!
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 9:35:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So I'm thinking about putting together a good deer rifle, even though I have zero experience with the .450 BM cartridge.

Looking for an 18" mid-length barrel

Planning on 12.5" or 15" Mlok handgaurd

Still have questions about buffer options

Goal is a light rifle that is consistent to 200yds and could reach out to 250yds.

Thoughts or experiences welcome.
View Quote
I spoke to Tony at Tromix and he said to use a standard AR15 spring & buffer with his barrel/bolt.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 3:39:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
I would look at Tromix just because the customer service is out standing. As far as the gas block you most likely won't need an adjustable gas block. Also standard buffer and spring usually works best.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 8:10:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Here is my 450BM build, 18" Tromix barrel, carbine buffer & spring.

Link Posted: 12/30/2017 4:13:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice rifle.  15” handguard?, what optic? Any issues?
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 9:12:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Nice rifle.  15" handguard?, what optic? Any issues?
View Quote
Yep, Cheap 15" HG, the scope is an Burris MTAC 1.5-6x42

I had some early issues with the Tromix barrel & bolt.  On the barrel the gas port was not aligned with the barrel extension pin, and the extractor would not grab the case.  I called Tromix and sent the barrel and bolt back for warranty.  After receiving the new barrel, I still had extraction issues and was disappointed that he didn't check the bolt out while he had it.  So I called again and Tony sent out a new extractor.  It was frustrating but since getting that fixed the gun has been both reliable and accurate.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 12:12:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Here's mine. Tromix barrel bolt face and brake. Fail zero to carrier, trijicon accupoint 2.5-10 in a bobro mount. Anderson lower and psa upper, ssa-e trigger. Shoots factory ammo and handloads very very well. I've had it for a few years and a few thousand rounds.

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top