Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/21/2024 6:16:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Couch-Commando]
I bought a Bear Creek 50 beowulf barrel. I know these are likely crap, but it was the only barrel with the correct profile to fit my gas block. If it sucks, I'll eventually get a custom barrel made. If it works, great! Anyway, I am trying to build a retro dissipator style gun inspired by a video game. I knew that I would likely need to blend the feed ramp. I was not expecting my C7 upper to have M4 feed ramps.

So, because the upper has M4 feed ramps, I'm concerned that if I dremel the upper to match the feed angle of the barrel, that, I will break into the part of the upper with the M4 feed ramp, causing an occasional jam where the bullet hits the part where the M4 feed ramp intersects the bubba'd feed ramp. So, I'm wondering what I should do. Options I'm considering.

1) Do nothing and hope it works.
2) Dremel the feed ramp to match what the barrel currently has (concerned this won't work).
3) Dremel the feed ramp on the barrel extension feed ramp to make it wider, and then dremel the upper to match, which should obliterate the M4 feed ramps. This would match photos I've seen of Tromix feed ramps and other more premium barrels.

Also, what is the ideal dremel attachment for this, and best procedure? I didn't realize just how hard it would be to reach with the barrel installed. Is it better to do the dremeling with the barrel installed, or should I dremel a little at a time with the barrel removed through the front of the upper, and then test fit each time? Then finish it with cratex wheels?

How big should I hog out the ejection port? I am hoping to retain the port cover.  

Finally, what is the preferred magazine follower? I'm hoping to modify some D&H/PSA magazines. The Tromix follower specifically says that D&H mags won't work with their followers.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/21/2024 6:27:40 PM EDT
[#1]
BCA is the epitome of overkill with their centerfeed feedramps on their barrels.  They are just padding their stats, so to speak, because the rest of their shit is generally shit.

I wouldn't do anything to the upper until I tried it as is.  The lower and magazines are also at play.

Link Posted: 7/22/2024 7:20:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 7:25:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 12:39:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I dremelled out my ejection port to .58. Inwas worried if I did any more, the port door spring would have nothing to push against. Snap caps feed and eject perfect. Should I still hog out to .60, or wait till I have ammo to test?

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/2/2024 4:17:54 PM EDT
[#5]
When we were building 50 Beo's, we milled the ports the same as the .458 SOCOM.

If you are doing it by hand, start off by raising the port until you feel the door may not stay closed if you raise it any more.
Then lower it until it's .625" (5/8) wide.

Tony
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 11:03:15 PM EDT
[#6]
For some reason I've never even looked at the feed ramp or ramps on my Beowulf.  I need to go check.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 2:23:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TonyRumore:
When we were building 50 Beo's, we milled the ports the same as the .458 SOCOM.

If you are doing it by hand, start off by raising the port until you feel the door may not stay closed if you raise it any more.
Then lower it until it's .625" (5/8) wide.

Tony
View Quote
Awesome, thanks! My only question is, with how much it is already logged out, the ejection port spring already sticks up past the opening. Is this a problem?
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top