Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/21/2024 6:42:37 PM EDT
I posted this in my thread in GD about my ~14.5" 6.5CM build and it was suggested I post it here for posterity's sake.

As info, this build used a Ballistic Advantage Hanson-profile barrel P&W to ~16.5" by Adco. I with I had told them to set it back another 1/4"-1/3" of an inch as there's room, but I was being conservative with the measurements. It is what it is.

Parts list:
Aero M5 upper, lower, receiver extension and rail
Ballistic Advantage Hanson profile 6.5CM barrel
Superlative Adjustable gas block
YHM QD suppressor mount
Larue MBT flat trigger
PSA dual ejector 6.5CM BCG
Radian Raptor SD CH
Sprinco buffer spring
H2 buffer
B5 Sopmod stock
Armageddon Gear sling
Magpul Bipod w/ ADM M-Lok to 1913 adapter
Magpul MIAD grip
Magpul ESK safety
PA PLx 1-8x in an old Larue SPR mount

Weight since I know several of you are interested in that:
Base rifle: 8.4#
With scope, mag, and sling: 10.8#
Above w/ bipod and can: 13.5#

Gratuitous pic of build:

Now, onto the data.  These speeds were recorded using a Garmin Xero C1 on the first official day of summer in Middle TN, so the temps were about 85-95*F throughout the three hours I was there. Humidity was high in the 70% range and there was no wind to speak of.

This is sort by the SD:

Using the top load for a ballistic chart created via Shooter Calculator:

Would be interested to see others dope with these and other loadings. 14.5" 6.5CM are becoming more and more popular (LMT and KAC have had them for years) and PSA it about to release one as well.
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 6:34:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Do that on a POF small frame or Ruger SFAR and it renders the Grendel obsolete, besides full auto controlability and ammo loadout weight.
I think ammo cost is even similar with the popularity of Creedmoor.

ETA: Cheap options are within a penny per round.
Hornady with ELDs, $.24 more expensive per round for Creedmoor.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 3:08:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 9:55:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for sharing ! And great parts choices.

I'd be pretty happy if the AAC load continued to produce such low ES and SD numbers !

Any group pics ?
View Quote

Unfortunately no. I absentmindedly threw the target away while I was bullshitting during the last cold period before I left and didn’t realize it until I got home.

Honestly, they weren’t anything special. I’m out of practice and couldn’t really get comfortable behind the rifle the whole session so they were all 1”-2” groups. I think the AAC you mention had the best, which isn’t surprising given its consistency.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 11:32:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 11:34:57 PM EDT
[#5]
That data looks nice . The economics on Creedmoor are good too . A 14.5" SFAR would be sweet minus any issues.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 1:42:03 AM EDT
[#6]
thinking of something similar, but built around a Craddock RTR 16" 6.5CM barrel.  Thought about 14.5" with a P&W brake to get to 16", but figured the 16", with a short VG6 Gamma 65 brake wouldn't be too unwieldy, in case I need to revisit the GB.  Want to start off with a non-adj GB, but just in case...  All my other 6.5CM uppers are longer than 20", figured I'd try something that was more man-portable.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 12:39:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I posted this in my thread in GD about my ~14.5" 6.5CM build and it was suggested I post it here for posterity's sake.

As info, this build used a Ballistic Advantage Hanson-profile barrel P&W to ~16.5" by Adco. I with I had told them to set it back another 1/4"-1/3" of an inch as there's room, but I was being conservative with the measurements. It is what it is.

Parts list:
Aero M5 upper, lower, receiver extension and rail
Ballistic Advantage Hanson profile 6.5CM barrel
Superlative Adjustable gas block
YHM QD suppressor mount
Larue MBT flat trigger
PSA dual ejector 6.5CM BCG
Radian Raptor SD CH
Sprinco buffer spring
H2 buffer
B5 Sopmod stock
Armageddon Gear sling
Magpul Bipod w/ ADM M-Lok to 1913 adapter
Magpul MIAD grip
Magpul ESK safety
PA PLx 1-8x in an old Larue SPR mount

Weight since I know several of you are interested in that:
Base rifle: 8.4#
With scope, mag, and sling: 10.8#
Above w/ bipod and can: 13.5#

Gratuitous pic of build:
https://i.imgur.com/dUIsSB7.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/kbC0HzY.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/WNlquwC.jpeg

Now, onto the data.  These speeds were recorded using a Garmin Xero C1 on the first official day of summer in Middle TN, so the temps were about 85-95*F throughout the three hours I was there. Humidity was high in the 70% range and there was no wind to speak of.

This is sort by the SD:
https://imgur.com/Kv2rr3s.jpg

Using the top load for a ballistic chart created via Shooter Calculator:
https://imgur.com/ZDLZxIg.jpg

Would be interested to see others dope with these and other loadings. 14.5" 6.5CM are becoming more and more popular (LMT and KAC have had them for years) and PSA it about to release one as well.
View Quote

Hello fellow Strategic Edge member!
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 9:01:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 2:19:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
@rpoL98

I would be very interested in your Craddock RTR barrels results.  Please keep us posted if you decide to roll with it.
View Quote

@bfoosh06
i placed the order, specified a cerakote finish.  will be a few months before I actually have a completed upper, i'm pretty slow and leisurely in my builds.

as far as results, only thing I'll be able to say is whether I can hit things out at 400-800, 1000 yds, factory ammo, etc.  Sorry, I just shoot for fun, plinking, not very analytical.  Will let you know, my seat-of-the-pants results.

Link Posted: 7/6/2024 12:14:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 6:25:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I picked up a PSA 6.5CM 14.5” last week. Ran great out of the box but have to run the gas port all the way open for bolt lock back. Will try different mags next time. I got an average velocity of 2401 with the AAC SMK 140’s. All 5 rounds were touching when I shot for groups. Huge fan of the 14.5” setup. Good job sir!
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 11:45:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

@rpoL98

I would be very interested in your Craddock RTR barrels results.  Please keep us posted if you decide to roll with it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
thinking of something similar, but built around a Craddock RTR 16" 6.5CM barrel.  Thought about 14.5" with a P&W brake to get to 16", but figured the 16", with a short VG6 Gamma 65 brake wouldn't be too unwieldy, in case I need to revisit the GB.  Want to start off with a non-adj GB, but just in case...  All my other 6.5CM uppers are longer than 20", figured I'd try something that was more man-portable.

@rpoL98

I have a 16” RTR in an Aero M5 receiver set.

The only velocity data I have at the moment is for 140gr Hornady American Gunner, with an average velocity of 2485fps at 85* F ambient x10 shots.

Only about 200rds down the pipe, but I managed a few 3/4 MOA 5 shot groups at 100y with it when I did a bit of accuracy testing.

Attachment Attached File
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top