BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
80% Lowers Summary (Page 4 of 7)
Page / 7
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 10:19:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Jig, bits, and router cost me about $300.

Makes those first three finished 80% lowers average out to about $135 each.

Worth it to learn the process, though. Lots of fun.

Link Posted: 9/17/2015 9:28:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Bump for all the recent 80% talk.  We need a solid How to thread with all the tips and tricks so it can be tacked at the top of this forum.  Wish we had our own sub forum.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 9:50:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AFCarbon15:

Bump for all the recent 80% talk.  We need a solid How to thread with all the tips and tricks so it can be tacked at the top of this forum.  Wish we had our own sub forum.
View Quote

Yeah that would be nice...but I doubt it'll happen.  A tacked thread would be a good start though.

I've just been researching 80%s since all local FFL's here have ridiculous transfer fees that I'm not willing to pay, and also because I think it'd be cool to have some custom roll marks engraved.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 2:56:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I just started on a modulus arms setup this evening.

I bought a foot long piece of 7075 off amazon to drill test holes and get a feel
for my drill press and how the material acts, and some reamers and better drill bits.  
Highly recommended, drilling various size holes with straight finish drill vs drill/ream and measuring
then test fitting fcg pins and safety selectors has been good training.

My two safety selectors vary by .002, but the KNS and standard fcg pins
are spot on.  I'm debating on buying a bit and reamer to fit one of the selectors,
or to buy other selectors and see if I can find one closer to spec.  I have a hunch
the selector has a wider tolerance in practice if not by design than the pins do.

To someone that is moderately OCD and knows just enough to know just how easy it is
to screw up, this is a sloooow laborious process.  Slow drilling, frequent stops to remove
filings and apply lube, much prep and leveling and measuring since I don't trust the jig, etc, etc.
And I'm still not happy with the way the press plunges, but what does one want for under $300
I guess.  I bought a nicer chuck and arbor for it, which helped.

Tomorrow we try out the end mill in the router.

I'm fairly optimistic, I know a lot of people attack these things with a hand drill and they
work, to some degree or nother, but I intend for mine to work correctly or I'm not going to
bother.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 5:56:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I am very tempted but I have never done anything like this before so of course I do not have a Mill or a Lathe handy but do have a good old Bench top drill press and a good router but it is not a plunge router.

I was going to purchase a bare lower from TM Tactical Machining but have no idea who would have a good Jig to make the bare lowers into good usable lowers?
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 12:00:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By wolfwalker:

I'm debating on buying a bit and reamer to fit one of the selectors,
View Quote

It is not necessary, but if you desire to go that route, here's what you want. I have an axis pin sized one (the second link) and it works great, but it is really overkill.

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/02535243

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/02535102
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 12:03:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By JesterGrin_1:
I am very tempted but I have never done anything like this before so of course I do not have a Mill or a Lathe handy but do have a good old Bench top drill press and a good router but it is not a plunge router.
View Quote

You do not want a plunge router. You want a variable speed router with a good, solid depth control mechanism. The best I've found is the RIDGID R24012 around $100 at home depot
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 2:01:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By maxxx93:

It is not necessary, but if you desire to go that route, here's what you want. I have an axis pin sized one (the second link) and it works great, but it is really overkill.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I'm debating on buying a bit and reamer to fit one of the selectors,

I used a U bit and a .376 chucking reamer, and I tried the recommended 3/8 bit in another test hole in my bar stock.
The spec is .376 +/- .001, and I think it'd be fine if my selector(s) were a hair larger. (.372 and .373)
But I'm not sure if they intended .001 clearance, or .003?  What's adequate to account for
dirt?  How loose is too loose?  These are the things I find myself pondering.  My out of my rear guess
is .002, which is the same as the FCG pins will have (.154 pins and 5/32/.156 hole).  
One of the reasons I didn't buy combo bit/reamers was the cost, it's getting a
little much lol.  If I had a full set of these and pin gauges I could sort this out pretty well, but a machine shop
I am not.  Might try a .374 reamer and see how the selector feels.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 2:14:54 PM EDT
[#9]

You do not want a plunge router. You want a variable speed router with a good, solid depth control mechanism. The best I've found is the RIDGID R24012 around $100 at home depot
View All Quotes

Thank You for the Router information.

But the big issue is still which complete jig set up to purchase?

I do not intend to make a bunch of lowers. Probably just one or maybe two as to have an extra for just in case.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 2:37:14 PM EDT
[#10]

I do not intend to make a bunch of lowers. Probably just one or maybe two as to have an extra for just in case.
View All Quotes

Thus far I'm pleased with the modulus arms jig and forged 7075 lowers quality, they had a deal running that was a pretty good price
buying the jig and getting a free end mill, and the receivers were/are fifty bucks.  I wish it was steel is about all I can say negative about it
in an of itself.  And it was missing one common bolt in the little baggy.  I imagine any of the big name popular one's are
pretty good by now, but google them up before you buy.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 2:43:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Thus far I'm pleased with the modulus arms jig and forged 7075 lowers quality, they had a deal running that was a pretty good price
buying the jig and getting a free end mill, and the receivers were/are fifty bucks.  I wish it was steel is about all I can say negative about it
in an of itself...
View Quote

I am glad that you are pleased.
Please keep in mind that you have 4 full sets of axis pin holes that you would need to wear out before the construction material becomes an issue. If you ever did manage to wear out all 4 sets, the side plates are available separately. Which we sell very few of, that is just another indicator that it is a non issue.
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 5:20:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Another friendly bump for all the recent 80% talk/questions

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 4:12:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wtjosaas] [#13]
Modulus Arms

Check this Out
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:47:01 AM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By wtjosaas:

Modulus Arms
Check this Out
View Quote
I pulled the trigger on it today. I had been on the fence about the modulus jig vs the TM jig. The steel parts sealed the deal in addition to the modulus design. I only wish they were like the TM jig in the sense you only needed to buy new side plates to do ar10's.  Can't win them all I suppose.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 1:13:50 PM EDT
[#15]
I blew my blackfriday budget on an optic before I saw the new jig.  Guess it'll be around later.
Pretty sweet.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:32:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By K1rodeoboater:
I pulled the trigger on it today. I had been on the fence about the modulus jig vs the TM jig. The steel parts sealed the deal in addition to the modulus design...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wtjosaas:
Modulus Arms

Check this Out
I pulled the trigger on it today. I had been on the fence about the modulus jig vs the TM jig. The steel parts sealed the deal in addition to the modulus design...

Terrific. To anybody still on the fence, the free tool kit promo ends tonight.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:25:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Tactical Machining has the rear lug machined out... it helped out because my end mills were too short before the milling head crashed into the receiver extension...

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:01:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By taiwanluthiers:
Tactical Machining has the rear lug machined out...

View Quote

All gen ll lower receivers have the rear shelf area mostly milled out. Almost everybody is selling gen ll now, if somebody is still selling gen l it is probably old inventory.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:36:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:07:52 AM EDT
[#20]
I almost prefer the rear shelf not-milled.
I found on one lower with it milled, that it was milled slightly
off-center, very slightly.  Modulus arms jig is smart enough that
it centers on the buffer tube opening, and the jig opening
is the correct size for the rear pocket, so if you mill it yourself
you know it's right.  It's like ten minutes of work.
The one that was off, I followed the jig and it took additional
material off one side of the rear pocket, putting it technically
out of spec on the prints I find online.  Not a huge deal, but there
is a bit more potential for play there now.  A second one would have been the
same way but I was aware and watching and didn't mill that area on it, or
any of the others.  Not a big problem and not Modulus's fault, but it wouldn't
hurt to point it out in the instructions specifically to NOT mill that part if it's already done.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 12:05:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Anyone found any ambi-80%'ers yet?  Thought I remembered seeing some, but now that I'm looking for one, seems I can't find...

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 11:30:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 3:32:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jrtatonka] [#23]
AFCarbon15    Have you had any luck finding that 80% lower I thought I found a few manufacturers but I cant't find them again?  Quentin Devense has an Ambi, but the link to it no longer works.

Does anybody know of a forged lower with a flared magwell, and maybe a little extra material on the sides for customization?
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 3:50:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By jrtatonka:  AFCarbon15    Have you had any luck finding that 80% lower I thought I found a few manufacturers but I cant't find them again?  Quentin Devense has an Ambi, but the link to it no longer works.

Does anybody know of a forged lower with a flared magwell, and maybe a little extra material on the sides for customization?
View Quote

You could order two of these, and have all the extra material you wanted...

http://www.theflatspot.net/ar-15-receiver-flat.html
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 4:05:12 PM EDT
[#25]
I'll pass on those steel receivers, but thanks.  Would like a forged lower with a flared magwell.  Anybody know of any lowers in between 0% and 80% that have the buffer tube extension, the top milled and the mag well broached/edm'd but nothing else.  So basically a block of aluminum with all the above completed?
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 7:39:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 10:52:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By jrtatonka:  I'll pass on those steel receivers, but thanks.  Would like a forged lower with a flared magwell.  Anybody know of any lowers in between 0% and 80% that have the buffer tube extension, the top milled and the mag well broached/edm'd but nothing else.  So basically a block of aluminum with all the above completed?
View Quote

Let us know if you find such.  It is needed for the Fruity Ghost.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 11:07:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By jrtatonka:
AFCarbon15    Have you had any luck finding that 80% lower I thought I found a few manufacturers but I cant't find them again?  Quentin Devense has an Ambi, but the link to it no longer works.

View Quote

Negative, but I suffer from ADD as much as I do BRD.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 11:48:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By jrtatonka:

View Quote

Not a Forged unit, but Iconic Industries has a Billet one with a fairly large magwell, check out their ENTIRE gallery. They have one that appears to be a "normal" magwell that has a larger flare.

I just repaired the link in the summary in the first post.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 12:21:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: K1rodeoboater] [#30]
I got some Daytona Tactical billet lowers in last week.  They were $60 ea and still in stock as of me posting this message.  I don't have another company's billet 80 to compare it to, but these look decent enough. They will definitely need a blasting before coating as you can still see the tooling marks from the end mill.

Eventually I want to get a NFA (7075-T6) and a Modulus billet lower (not yet for sale but listed as 6061-T6) to compare it to.  

ETA: I think these are the exact same billet lowers being sold by 80-lower.com.  They look exactly the same and are made from 7075-T6 as well.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 12:44:21 AM EDT
[#31]
I just "cleaned up" the list in the First post. As I suspected in the last year A LOT of the companies selling "80%" lowers are gone or no longer selling them. There were WAY too many companies in the buisness.

I haven't checked the information on each web site other than the links so verify if they have what you are looking for.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 11:57:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By PursuitSS:
I just "cleaned up" the list in the First post. As I suspected in the last year A LOT of the companies selling "80%" lowers are gone or no longer selling them. There were WAY too many companies in the buisness.

I haven't checked the information on each web site other than the links so verify if they have what you are looking for.
View Quote

This is a great thread. Please update Tactical Machining to show that we cut out the rear pocket on all of our 80% lowers now. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 3:28:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By tacticalmachining:

This is a great thread. Please update Tactical Machining to show that we cut out the rear pocket on all of our 80% lowers now. Thanks.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tacticalmachining:

Will do
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 5:37:28 PM EDT
[#34]
BTT to keep out of Archives.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 7:13:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 11:34:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By SailorJ:
Awesome thread PursuitSS!!

We have a variety of 80's in stock.  Please update ours to link below.

http://www.righttobear.com/AR15-80-Lower-Receiver-Cerro-Forge-s/1855.htm

View Quote

Updated
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 11:39:48 PM EDT
[#37]

Updated
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By SailorJ:

Awesome thread PursuitSS!!

We have a variety of 80's in stock.  Please update ours to link below.

http://www.righttobear.com/AR15-80-Lower-Receiver-Cerro-Forge-s/1855.htm

Updated
Thanks for bumping this Pursuit! I haven't looked at it in a while. Since I'm here, I might as well check out page one, post one!

Link Posted: 3/30/2016 11:49:25 PM EDT
[#38]
I like that Iconic Industries 117 lower!

What upper would you match that to? Mega Monolithic?
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 2:49:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Much thanks to the OP for this thread.  I've just started looking into 80% lowers, and this thread is a great resource.

I was browsing the manufacturers listed in the OP, and I noticed something unusual:

http://moriartiarmaments.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=71_79&product_id=341

Not only does this 80%er have the trigger pocket milled out instead of the magwell, but it also seems to be milled out for machine gun parts (i.e. extended rear pocket, auto sear pin holes).  What's up with that?
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 2:59:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By A_Friendly_Manatee:
Much thanks to the OP for this thread.  I've just started looking into 80% lowers, and this thread is a great resource.

I was browsing the manufacturers listed in the OP, and I noticed something unusual:

http://moriartiarmaments.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=71_79&product_id=341

Not only does this 80%er have the trigger pocket milled out instead of the magwell, but it also seems to be milled out for machine gun parts (i.e. extended rear pocket, auto sear pin holes).  What's up with that?
View Quote

Not sure how they get that past the ATF, it would be a functional firearm as is.  Throw in a parts kit, slap an upper in it and you'd have a single shot.   Never mind the auto sear hole.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 4:17:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wangstang] [#41]

Not sure how they get that past the ATF, it would be a functional firearm as is.  Throw in a parts kit, slap an upper in it and you'd have a single shot.   Never mind the auto sear hole.
View All Quotes

Up until 8 or 9 years ago that was your standard 80% lower so long as it required that you thread the receiver for the buffer tube and place your tigger/hammer pin holes.  Perhaps they have a valid approval letter but I would think their anodized black images are a more accurate reflection of what you'd receive compared to the in the white photos.

Wes
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 9:20:25 PM EDT
[#42]
I got a M1 Machining jig... The lower is ok, but the magazine fit is not that good (you need to file it a bit for it to fit) however the jig is trash. You MUST have a milling machine to use that jig because it forces you to drill the hole all the way through from one side (one side works for AR10 and the other for AR15), furthermore it is proprietary for their lower meaning it won't work for any other lowers. There are no hardened drill brushing so if you tried to use a hand drill you will destroy the jig.

Quentin Defense lower is much better made, and not only that they are only a little more expensive, and ships immediately (rather than making you wait forever and not answering emails at all). I have not used their jig but they do have hardened drill bushing so a hand drill will not destroy the jig.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 10:08:41 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

THAT is a M-16 receiver, PERIOD!
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 10:15:47 PM EDT
[#44]
The image that is shown on the page is a M16 and would require a stamp to own.  Just because they are showing an M16 does not always mean they are selling the parts that look and have the same areas milled and drill, they could be just using that image as a representation, but I would sure and hell make sure before I ordered it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 10:31:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: K1rodeoboater] [#45]

Originally Posted By DaveP1:

The image that is shown on the page is a M16 and would require a stamp to own.  Just because they are showing an M16 does not always mean they are selling the parts that look and have the same areas milled and drill, they could be just using that image as a representation, but I would sure and hell make sure before I ordered it.
View Quote

That whole thing screams pepper your angus

Link Posted: 4/3/2016 10:53:09 PM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

I would sure be looking and making phone calls to make sure.  If that is the actual lower you would get, it would have to be known when it was manufactured and where it came from.  I would again suspect, that is not the lower you will receive, I remember those lowers, but these days, you are looking at a whole world of pepper if that is what they are actually selling and if it is, I suspect, they won't be for long!  The more I look at the image, it reminds me of some ad images I saw a couple of years ago at the SHOT show from one of the companies that makes those for the military.  I think that some web company somewhere that did their website, just went searching for images to populate their database, but it would be very interesting to talk to them to see what is going on.

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 3:19:23 PM EDT
[#47]

I would sure be looking and making phone calls to make sure.  If that is the actual lower you would get, it would have to be known when it was manufactured and where it came from.  I would again suspect, that is not the lower you will receive, I remember those lowers, but these days, you are looking at a whole world of pepper if that is what they are actually selling and if it is, I suspect, they won't be for long!  The more I look at the image, it reminds me of some ad images I saw a couple of years ago at the SHOT show from one of the companies that makes those for the military.  I think that some web company somewhere that did their website, just went searching for images to populate their database, but it would be very interesting to talk to them to see what is going on.

View All Quotes

Yeah, I'm sure they aren't actually selling machine guns over the internet, but I still did a double take.

As far as 80%ers go, is it better to buy them all from the same manufacturer (e.g. I buy 3 from Tactical Machining) or from various manufacturers (e.g. I buy 1 from TM, 1 from Right to Bear Arms & Supply, and 1 from Modulus Arms)?  I'm looking at in-the-white forged 7075 aluminum lowers only, by the way.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 4:19:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PursuitSS] [#48]
There are SEVERAL manufacturers selling quality "80% Lowers"!

I would look for...

Rear Lug cut
What alloy, 7075-T6?
Make sure that all areas than can be cut are already done, i.e.: bolt catch spring & detent hole
No bullshit claims..."95% Lower!" "98.6% Lower!"
Receivers are available that ONLY require milling out the fire control pocket, drilling the hammer & trigger holes, and drilling the safety hole. There are also units being sold that require quite a bit more machine work. Caveat Emptor!
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 8:28:45 PM EDT
[#49]
I tried doing a search on this but nothing came up. However, I might have done it wrong since I'm new here. Anyhow what is the difference between rear lug cut and not rear lug cut? I'm not new to AR's, but I am brand new to building my own from the ground up.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 9:20:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Deez54:
I tried doing a search on this but nothing came up. However, I might have done it wrong since I'm new here. Anyhow what is the difference between rear lug cut and not rear lug cut? I'm not new to AR's, but I am brand new to building my own from the ground up.
View Quote

In machining out an "80% Lower"  the rear lug is one of the more critical fitting dimensions. why risk it when you can buy one already cut.
Page / 7
80% Lowers Summary (Page 4 of 7)
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top