Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/18/2024 9:09:10 PM EDT
Tried searching but couldn’t find it.

What is the outside width of metal 6 ARC/6.5 Grendel mags?
The front and rear width is same on AR-15 correct?

Guessing different mfgs will have slightly different outside width dimensions.

Cheers, Allen
Link Posted: 10/18/2024 9:30:55 PM EDT
[#1]
it would be the same as standard 556 mags, no?

i suppose i can throw a caliper on it when i get home to verify for you
Link Posted: 10/18/2024 10:01:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Boisestatefan] [#2]
Same, same.

I've run all 3 in the same mag 6.5grendel,6arc and 22arc,  no problems.

Don't try anything but duramag. Amend 2, e-lander etc are shit.
Link Posted: 10/19/2024 8:40:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: VASCAR2] [#3]
The ribs on the side of 6.5 Grendel mags are different than on 5.56/223 mags but the footprint is the same.   The C Products Defense (CPD) Duramag 20 round and 28 round mags have a curvature more similar to 7.62x39 mags.  The rib depth and location are there to keep the cartridges correctly stacked in the mag body.   The ribs are different on the 6.5 Grendel mags because of the differences in the cartridge dimensions between 5.56 and  6.5 Grendel.   Some pictures for comparison.

5.56/223 mag picture L-R Brownell’s curved 20 round, Brownell’s straight 20 round, Colt AWB ban era 9 round.

6.5 Grendel mags L-R E-Lander 17 round, C Products/ASC 15 round,E-Lander ten round, C Products/ASC ten round.

6.5 Grendel mags L-R, 17 round E-Lander, 10 round ASC, 20 round CPD Duramag.

Y

6.5 Grendel mags, Left is a 25 round ASC and Right is a 20 round CPD Duramag.

Link Posted: 10/19/2024 9:54:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, that is great info!

What is the outside width of the mags?
If I understand correctly the front and rear of mag is same width. Ruger Mini 30 mags are narrower at front than rear, nominal width at rear 23.5mm and 18.30mm at front. But has
a rib about 15mm back from front that is 20.30mm wide there.

Curious how the widths of the AR-15 mags compare to Mini 30 mags. I know they aren't interchangeable, as the Mini mags pivot rearward to lock in place similar to M14 and AR-15 go straight into mag well to lock in  place.

Cheers, Allen
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top