Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/2/2024 1:07:43 PM EDT
Hey guys, thanks for your advice here. This hasn't happened to me before and I was able to replicate it 3 times in 5 minutes today.

I was shooting out back and shot some rounds through my AR-Stoner 20 round mag. Shot the second to last round, and then on the last round the trigger wouldn't pull. Flipped the rifle and saw the last round sitting loose on top of the mag, and the bolt catch stopping my bolt, as if the mag was empty.

Thought it was a fluke, but it happened again and again. Swapped bolts, and it still happened. Further testing helped me realize it is also happening on my two Duramag 20 round mags, but none of my PSA aluminum 30 round mags or my PMAGs.

So, it's not happening to one specific mag, but it is only happening on my 20 round mags.

Took it into the shop and I realized what is happening. It looks like, on the last round, the mag follower is still low enough to allow the bolt to move forward, but high enough that it is now catching on the "shoulder" of the carrier group right past the bolt. Picture below pointing to where it is catching, rather than at the face of the bolt as it would on an empty mag.

First picture, pointing to where the bolt catch is catching the shoulder of the carrier, not the bolt face: https://imgur.com/a/w3xdjh6

Second picture, showing what it looked like on my rifle. Notice again the catch is grabbing the carrier and not the bolt face. Only happening on 20 round mags: https://imgur.com/a/2ImJEGu

Any idea what is going on here? My only thought was that the bolt catch was maybe getting gunked up from a lot of suppressed shooting and I need to lubricate it more. Out of time to shoot today though so can't keep testing it out.

Googling isn't showing anyone else with this occurence before, or at least I'm not typing in the right terms. Appreciate your input guys!
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 6:06:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 6:55:49 PM EDT
[#2]
When I first built my AR10, it would do that. 100 rounds later, it cycles fine. The bolt just wasn’t cycling smooth enough and coming back far enough to get behind the catch all the way.
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 2:42:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I had that after the last round was ejected.  Turned out to be undergassed.

This sounds like the BHO is full of shit keeping it from seating all the way down and/or a weak spring.  I’d take it out to clean it out and replace the spring and detent if it were mine.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top