Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/23/2024 7:20:00 PM EDT
Anyone run an Adams Arms kit without the bolt spring?

I have two setups with their kit; 16” Spikes upper on my first AR and a 11.5” AA upper on my SBR (which I run suppressed as my truck gun). Think I have a few spare springs around… but wondering on what happens if they fail and I don’t have one on me. Good to go? Instant grenade? Or just a little extra wear?

I’ve heard that it creates the friction that the gas rings would, as well as decrease wear on the cam pin/bolt lugs. I run the POF cam pin in both, but just don’t see how a small spring can be make/break of a piston design… especially when multiple others don’t use it.

Other thing is that my SBR has a LAW folder, and if I don’t store it with the hammer down on an empty chamber, the bolt group pushes back when folding the buffer. Not life/death, as I can just tap it back in place, but extra pain.

Just seeing if anyone has any experience without it and what the outcome was…
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 7:43:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: x248716x] [#1]
on a DI gun, the gas pressure fed to the BCG acts to push the bolt carrier off of the bolt, the gas pressure serves to separate the two.

on a piston gun, the op rod acts on the BCG tombstone and pushes the BCG back as a unit, however, the bolt still being in battery pulls the bolt out of the carrier, until it's unlocked.

I think the spring helps to separate the bolt from the carrier, absent the DI gas pressure separating the two.

JMHO.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 6:35:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Best I can recall- the first AA kits way back around 2008 or so did not have this spring and rifles suffered from cam pin wear in the uppers.  The spring was introduced as an attempt to avoid this wear.  

Link Posted: 5/24/2024 2:13:28 PM EDT
[#3]
indeed needed for better timing and less wear.  the spring pushes (keeps) the bolt fwd as the carrier moves rear and rotates the cam. this allows the bolt to rotate while remaining fwd in the barrel extension with less pressure pulling on the bolt lugs. in theory. likely adverse deltas due to barrel and gas port length, dwell time. I have a carbine and rifle kit. I think the springs are the same.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 11:15:55 PM EDT
[#4]
As others have stated it helps reduce the cam pin, I am guessing the system would still work without it. I will have to shoot mine sometime without it and see.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 2:27:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Our system will function without both the bolt spring or the drive rod spring. However, both of these springs do have a purpose. the bolt spring, will help minimize cam-pin wear in the upper receiver, and it will also help the bolt un-lock as the carrier starts the rearward travel during the firing sequence. If you have any further questions, you can always reach out to us [email protected]

-Phil
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top